Romelu Lukaku | Chelsea

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
Such a weird signing for Tuchel to make… doesn’t feel like it was his signing tbh.

Chelsea have been so clearly better without him, and it was apparent from the moment he wasn’t in the squad.

I’m far from a Rom hater btw, I like him. But he just doesn’t suit that Chelsea system at all.

He, and they, woulda been better off had he not joined.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
I find him quite a strange player, really.
His immense goal scoring record sometimes doesn't look like it should correlate to the player he is, with or without the ball.

matt23

Always a good idea to spend £100m on a player you've already got rid of because he wasn't good enough.

AshRK

Funny thing is I pointed out all his flaws even when he had that red hot start for you lot and I was apparently only saying it out of jealously :lol:

The one funny thing out of this is witnessing the posters in question saying all the same stuff they attacked for.
I don't think he is a bad footballer, in fact a very good goalscorer. I always feel he was over criticized especially by English media and fans. However, it was funny how media and rival fans mocked us for selling him.

RUCK4444

Such a weird signing for Tuchel to make… doesn’t feel like it was his signing tbh.

Chelsea have been so clearly better without him, and it was apparent from the moment he wasn’t in the squad.

I’m far from a Rom hater btw, I like him. But he just doesn’t suit that Chelsea system at all.

Yeah largely agree, he was doing well in Italy as well. Like you say, would have been better for the move to not have materialised really.

Mental money for him as well. Good goal scorer but is a flat track bully and boosts his numbers that way, always has really.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
I don't think he is a bad footballer, in fact a very good goalscorer. I always feel he was over criticized especially by English media and fans. However, it was funny how media and rival fans mocked us for selling him.
I think a big problem is Lukaku has put the expectations on his head with his actions.

He left Chelsea age 19 because we wouldn't abandon the signing of Costa and put all our eggs in his basket, then he left you lot the moment he had to fight for his place (both times he used some pretty underhand tactics to get what he wanted).

When a player acts like he does he has to fully back it up on the pitch, he doesn't.

JohnnyLaw

We would have kept him if we really really wanted. Fergie made the right decision letting him go.
It clearly wasn’t SAFs decision, by his own account we wanted to tie him down on a new deal but Paul decided to run down his contract and leave.

Morty_

Supports
Real Madrid
Still early days, but he had a team that worked perfectly for him in Italy, i know the lure of PL is strong, but he probably should have stayed tbh.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
We should sign Haaland this summer to really test this striker graveyard hypothesis. If he fails here too, then there's clearly something in the air at Cobham that hypnotises the strikers, and I absolve all the #9's that have struggled at Chelsea over the years.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
It clearly wasn’t SAFs decision, by his own account we wanted to tie him down on a new deal but Paul decided to run down his contract and leave.
Fergie gave him a contract that he wasn’t interested in. If Fergie wanted to he could have literally given him an offer he couldn’t refuse (including playing time). Fergie made the right call letting him go.

Eugenius

His improvement in Italy was playing in a league where even Ciro Immobile can bang 35 goals and taking penalties. He's still the same streaky player.

And has the touch of a Rooney career to him too. Big lad who's been playing football since he's 16. You can see how hard it is for him to get fit after an injury. He'll be done as a top player early 30s.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Agree with that, I'll be surprised if Lukaku has much longevity once he's hit 30 for a top club.

JohnnyLaw

Fergie gave him a contract that he wasn’t interested in. If Fergie wanted to he could have literally given him an offer he couldn’t refuse (including playing time). Fergie made the right call letting him go.
I have no idea how you can equate SAFs efforts to keep Pogba to the act of actively selling a player you don’t want/need, as was the case with Chelsea and Lukaku.

Last edited:

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
He’ll be ‘world class’ again in a year when the World Cup comes around and he can score a few in the group stages with De Bruyne and Hazard feeding him. And the cycle continues

Matt851

He’ll be ‘world class’ again in a year when the World Cup comes around and he can score a few in the group stages with De Bruyne and Hazard feeding him. And the cycle continues
Hazard feeding someone other than himself seems unlikely at this stage

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
I don't care. He enhances the team's play, facilities more chances, makes his teammates better and scores enough for that not to be a problem.
Right answer. Glad you can see what many of us have seen for a long time!

TrustInJanuzaj

What’s that you hear…more excuses. That sounds like Lukaku alright. Never seen a player thrive on so many excuses. Can’t fit into Utd, can’t fit into Chelsea. When do people accept he’s genuinely a bang average player with below average technique.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Right answer. Glad you can see what many of us have seen for a long time!
Most of us saw this even when he had his honeymoon phase with you, we were just passed off as jealous because he "rejected" us (that or the topic was deflected to Morata).

TrustInJanuzaj

Nah but seriously Conte has really worked on his first touch and now it’s one of the best in world football. He’s world class, possibly the best striker in world football and certainly better than a 36 year old Ronaldo…

TrustInJanuzaj

Most of us saw this even when he had his honeymoon phase with you, we were just passed off as jealous because he "rejected" us (that or the topic was deflected to Morata).
Well I can confidently say I’ve always said he’s average and never wanted him at Utd. He just lacks the technical ability for top teams of the mentality to make up for it. Nice to keep his cult in the dirt.

Kush

Hyperbolic and will post where they like!!
He's not good enough to have a team built around him, which is what needs to happen at Chelsea for him to thrive.

Coming off an injury, so not going to say too much but he simply doesn't fit their system. Scoring against shit is his bread and butter, and while West Ham are far from shit, he has best record vs them of any PL club.

AFC NimbleThumb

We didn’t get rid of him though, he left despite efforts to keep him.
Don’t let the truth get in the way of good ol’ Pogba slander. He isn’t playing at the moment so people are having to go to great lengths to berate him.

As for Ron, I’ve always liked him as a player& think he’s class. He’ll have uses for them at points this season.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
He's not good enough to have a team built around him, which is what needs to happen at Chelsea for him to thrive.

Coming off an injury, so not going to say too much but he simply doesn't fit their system. Scoring against shit is his bread and butter, and while West Ham are far from shit, he has best record vs them of any PL club.
Yeah, he is good striker but not 100 million striker. Not good enough or at a level where team can afford to carry his defensive duties and his limitations. He will score decent number of goals as they create lot of chances.

Chelsea look more dangerous with Werner as CF as he pulls the CBs all over the place and he is very quick.

Also regarding his record vs West Ham, he scored lot of goals when they were shit. From last season they are miles better compared to their previous version.

marcus agrippa

You're imagining things.

Pogba left because Fergie couldn't guarantee him game time. Two things decided it for him: SAF fielding Ji Sung Park and Raphael in midfield in one game ahead of him, and Scholesy coming out of retirement and straight into the team vs. City.

Despite what you might think, Fergie has dropped clangers in his time. Selling Stam too early for one.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
You're imagining things.

Pogba left because Fergie couldn't guarantee him game time. Two things decided it for him: SAF fielding Ji Sung Park and Raphael in midfield in one game ahead of him, and Scholesy coming out of retirement and straight into the team vs. City.

Despite what you might think, Fergie has dropped clangers in his time. Selling Stam too early for one.
You’re missing the point. If the club wanted to keep him they could have.