Romelu Lukaku | Chelsea

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
He looked like that because of his physical attributes. Technically he has always been about Championship level.
No it wasn't, unless you think technical level of championship level is so high that it's as good as PL.

roonster09

Scout
Nah he’s been a donkey since day one. That’s why so many Utd fans were gutted when we signed him from Everton. He broke through due to his freakish size and athleticism (have you seen those photos of him at youth level?). To be fair to him he’s always used those attributes to the best of his abilities and combined it with okay finishing which means he scores at an acceptable (but not spectacular) rate. But technically he’s one of the worst I’ve ever watched, control, passing, vision, heading are all in the lowest percentile in the league in my opinion which means hes never going to be world class. The fact he has a cult like following who can’t see past the stats, and he inflates his own ego to a huge degree means he’s an easy target to really dislike.
Disliking him, stats, his ego all doesn't matter. He has good finishing ability and for a CF he ranks high in dribbling ability. He has decent vision too.

Ofcourse he isn't as good as Lewa, Benzema when it comes to ability or technique but he is good enough, easily PL level.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
Disliking him, stats, his ego all doesn't matter. He has good finishing ability and for a CF he ranks high in dribbling ability. He has decent vision too.

Ofcourse he isn't as good as Lewa, Benzema when it comes to ability or technique but he is good enough, easily PL level.
Hes PL mid table level because he’s fundamentally techically flawed. And he’s proving that yet again. Flopped at Utd hard, flopping at Chelsea even harder. He’s average and his goal record doesn’t cover up those deficiencies.

roonster09

Scout
Hes PL mid table level because he’s fundamentally techically flawed. And he’s proving that yet again. Flopped at Utd hard, flopping at Chelsea even harder. He’s average and his goal record doesn’t cover up those deficiencies.
That's a different argument.

JuriM

Maybe an unpopular opinion, but on a decent Bundesliga team even Bayern I could see him be a solid ~25 goals per season striker again if the manager is backing him fully to be a first-choice striker. Chelsea under Tuchel really doesn't play with one striker only, more a 2 striker system or a 3 roaming front three, which is not really his cup of tea.

flappyjay

Lukaku is just like Haaland in terms of playing style. Both give the illusion that they are great with their back to goal.
Their youth coaches did them dirty, probably were too hang up on their goal scoring stats they forgot to improve other aspects.

Hammondo

His dribbling is dreadful, and I'm pretty sure he's blind.

No it wasn't, unless you think technical level of championship level is so high that it's as good as PL.
Just imagine a clone of him minus the pace and strength. That player would be in the Championship, not the PL. His dribbling stats are down purely to his pace, he falls over his own feet whenever he tries a step over ffs. Technically he is possibly the worst player in the PL. The simple act of controlling a long ball, a given for any player at this level, is beyond him.

There are plenty of players in the Championship who are technically good enough to play in the lower PL, it's the pace and intensity that is different.

roonster09

Scout
Just imagine a clone of him minus the pace and strength. That player would be in the Championship, not the PL. His dribbling stats are down purely to his pace, he falls over his own feet whenever he tries a step over ffs. Technically he is possibly the worst player in the PL. The simple act of controlling a long ball, a given for any player at this level, is beyond him.

There are plenty of players in the Championship who are technically good enough to play in the lower PL, it's the pace and intensity that is different.
Remove pace and strength from any player and they will be sitting at home watching on tv.

Anustart89

Whenever I think of Lukaku I think of his smug interview after the game against Arsenal and laugh at what's happened since then :lol:

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
I think he'll be fine as a squad player/super sub who knows his place (he's actually had a few good performances off the bench since he's been dropped and was unfairly robbed of the winner in the cup final) but sadly his ego got in the way.

DevilRed

I think he'll be fine as a squad player/super sub who knows his place (he's actually had a few good performances off the bench since he's been dropped and was unfairly robbed of the winner in the cup final) but sadly his ego got in the way.
Its either his ego or his weight.

Or maybe its because he puts on his Tims and jeans before going to work?

Remove pace and strength from any player and they will be sitting at home watching on tv.
Tell that to a 37 year old Ronaldo. Or all time top scorer and slowcoach Alan Shearer. Or any of the other dozens of great strikers who weren't blessed with pace and strength.

Markolan

Supports
AC Milan
Didn't even play one single minute today.. In Chelsea starting XI only one time in the last 2 months (9 Premier League games, less than 150 minutes played)..

His time at Chelsea is over..

Attila

Supports
Trad Bricks
Where to next for Rom?

Newcastle? Lewandowski replacement at Bayern?

roonster09

Scout
Tell that to a 37 year old Ronaldo. Or all time top scorer and slowcoach Alan Shearer. Or any of the other dozens of great strikers who weren't blessed with pace and strength.
Not sure what to tell if you think Ronaldo doesn't have pace or Shearer didn't have strength.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
New ownership could be open to selling him at a cut price and just right it off as the previous ownership's mistake.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
Where to next for Rom?

Newcastle? Lewandowski replacement at Bayern?
:lol:

Like replacing your Rolls-Royce with a Leyland van. Though to be fair, he could probably just stand on the penalty spot and knock in as many goals in Germany as he did in Serie A.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
You do realize that's exactly what I said in my OP right? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Well I was trying to illustrate what I meant in my original post that you replied to.
I'm well aware of different profiles that could fit a 442 system my point was that lukaku due to his attributes needs to be good in that department if he was to make it work in that formation, something which you'd expect him to be good at while he surprisingly isn't.
Not a comparison with other strikers that's all.

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
Not sure what to tell if you think Ronaldo doesn't have pace or Shearer didn't have strength.
Ronaldo was blessed with both and Shearer was an absolute brute as well as being a gifted footballer. There are probably the worst two examples possible for this.

Lukaku is a very good CF, he just isn’t what Chelsea needed and he doesn’t have the skill set that people assumed he would have given his build.

Pintu

:lol:

Like replacing your Rolls-Royce with a Leyland van. Though to be fair, he could probably just stand on the penalty spot and knock in as many goals in Germany as he did in Serie A.
He didn’t score that much in Serie A. 17 non penalty goals per season is not that special.

Why on earth would Bayern settle for that? And why would they replace Lewy with a player as limited technically as big Rom is?

Pintu

Ronaldo was blessed with both and Shearer was an absolute brute as well as being a gifted footballer. There are probably the worst two examples possible for this.
I think he meant the current version of Ronaldo. He is nowhere near as fast as he used to be. But he’s still a very reliable goal-scorer.

redsunited

wrong. In Italy they play with more tactical intelligence, where as England is more chaotic. Lukaku is a student of the game so aligns with Italy's superior football
Lukaku is a flat track bully. Even in England, change teams next season and when he is not in pressure, he will stat pad against weak teams and score 20+ goals a season easily.
The key words here are no pressure and weak teams. Even with other weaknesses in his game, lukaku is a goalscorer.

Lukaku is a very good CF, he just isn’t what Chelsea needed and he doesn’t have the skill set that people assumed he would have given his build.
Bolded the relevant part for you.

flappyjay

wrong. In Italy they play with more tactical intelligence, where as England is more chaotic. Lukaku is a student of the game so aligns with Italy's superior football
Average strikers are having fun in Italy.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
You can tell he is immersed in American culture and that he has quite a few American sports players as friends, because the way he speaks about his own performance is kind of what you'd expect Ja Morant or some WR in the NFL to say. It seems more normal to see players confidently state how good they are in those sports than in Europe.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
He didn’t score that much in Serie A. 17 non penalty goals per season is not that special.

Why on earth would Bayern settle for that? And why would they replace Lewy with a player as limited technically as big Rom is?
Because big Rom said that he belongs in that bracket of strikers. Hard to make a pass on that.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
You can tell he is immersed in American culture and that he has quite a few American sports players as friends, because the way he speaks about his own performance is kind of what you'd expect Ja Morant or some WR in the NFL to say. It seems more normal to see players confidently state how good they are in those sports than in Europe.
I don't see that honestly, he's just cocky.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
Don't know. He wasn't always like this. His cockiness and his American accent developed almost in parallel lines :lol:
I've noticed the American thing he tries to do as well and it's just so bizarre but its kinda endearing to be honest :lol:
Hes always been arrogant to a certain degree , he wouldn't have left Chelsea the way he did otherwise.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
I've noticed the American thing he tries to do as well and it's just so bizarre but its kinda endearing to be honest :lol:
Hes always been arrogant to a certain degree , he wouldn't have left Chelsea the way he did otherwise.
He always had self-belief. He left Chelsea because, like many others, he correctly ascertained that Chelsea would rather buy a striker than give a young player like him a chance.

The way he speaks about his own game and performances, and the American accent, is somethingI only started noticing in the last 4-5 years.