Romelu Lukaku | Chelsea

Red the Bear

Something less generic
He always had self-belief. He left Chelsea because, like many others, he correctly ascertained that Chelsea would rather buy a striker than give a young player like him a chance.

The way he speaks about his own game and performances, and the American accent, is somethingI only started noticing in the last 4-5 years.
Maybe he fancies himself more as basketball player than a footballer.

Kinda strange how he further developed that mentality in italy were ill assume the American influence isn't as strong.

EtH

You can tell he is immersed in American culture and that he has quite a few American sports players as friends, because the way he speaks about his own performance is kind of what you'd expect Ja Morant or some WR in the NFL to say. It seems more normal to see players confidently state how good they are in those sports than in Europe.
This isn’t even rooted in reality. Most of the athletes in American sports default to team cliches in interviews. It’s just the twats like Lukaku who toot their own horns at every opportunity.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
He always had self-belief. He left Chelsea because, like many others, he correctly ascertained that Chelsea would rather buy a striker than give a young player like him a chance.
I see it the other way tbh.

If he had that much belief in himself he would have looked at Torres, Ba and an 32 year old Eto'o and been like "meh, I'll be first choice at Christmas" and the guy he claims to idolise would have seen a signing like Costa as motivation not a reason to run.

If he was then unfairly left out totally for months like KDB was then fair enough (I don't think he would have been as Remy played many minutes even when Costa was firing) but he bolted and gave up on his supposed dream at the first sign of trouble twice.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
This isn’t even rooted in reality. Most of the athletes in American sports default to team cliches in interviews. It’s just the twats like Lukaku who toot their own horns at every opportunity.
I mean it's not a hill I'm willing to die on, but the 'he can't guard me' stuff is very common in the NBA. Jalen Green was asked about what he learnt about himself in his rookie season. His answer: "that I'm a bucket". That's the kind of thing I'm referring to.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
I see it the other way tbh.

If he had that much belief in himself he would have looked at Torres, Ba and an 32 year old Eto'o and been like "meh, I'll be first choice at Christmas" and the guy he claims to idolise would have seen a signing like Costa as motivation not a reason to run.

If he was then unfairly left out totally for months like KDB was then fair enough (I don't think he would have been as Remy played many minutes even when Costa was firing) but he bolted and gave up on his supposed dream at the first sign of trouble twice.
He had belief in his own ability but that self-belief also came with the knowledge that he wouldn't get a chance at Chelsea and our transfer activity was his proof. He was correct, whether he hung around long enough to not be given a chance or not is kinda immaterial to me. I don't think Mourinho would have given him a real chance and he was right to feel that way and ask to be sold.

He'd already seen Sturridge fail to be given a starting role despite being better than Torres and whoever else was there at the time.

TheRedHearted

Me at the beginning of the season
He doesn’t cut it in the PL, goes to a lesser league, scores a shit ton, then Chelsea brings him back here for 100 million why??

GifLord

Better at GIFs than posts
Me at the beginning of the season
He doesn’t cut it in the PL, goes to a lesser league, scores a shit ton, then Chelsea brings him back here for 100 million why??
And the most predictable defense ever - He's not being properly used

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Lukaku's goal numbers for this campaign (so far).

7 PL goals
1 -Arsenal
3-Villa
1-Brighton
2-Wolves
============================
2 CL goals
2-Zenit
3 FA Cup goals
1-Chesterfield
1-Luton
1-Boro

Bargain.

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper
Lukaku's goal numbers for this campaign (so far).

7 PL goals
1 -Arsenal
3-Villa
1-Brighton
2-Wolves
2 CL goals
2-Zenit
3 FA Cup goals
1-Chesterfield
1-Luton
1-Boro

Bargain.
Now the season is done, he'll probably pick up a few more goals and get to 18+ for the season, as he also has a few in the CWC. Then the stats people will go, 'omg, nearly 20 goals this season, when not playing regularly, just imagine if he was trusted'.

Markolan

Supports
AC Milan
ROMELU LUKAKU (£100m spent)

JADON SANCHO (£80m)

JACK GREALISH (£100m)

Romelu Lukaku: 2.494 minutes played, 14 goals + 2 assists = goal contribution: 16
Jadon Sancho: 2.402 minutes played, 5 goals + 3 assists = goal contribution: 8
Jack Grealish: 2.541 minutes played, 5 goals + 3 assists = goal contribution: 8

Not a good season for Big Rom but still much better than Sancho and Grealish. The two English players combined have produced the same goal contribution as Romelu Lukaku alone.

Considering the money spent, I'd say:
Premier League flop of the season: Jack Grealish

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain

JADON SANCHO (£80m)

JACK GREALISH (£100m)

Romelu Lukaku: 2.494 minutes played, 14 goals + 2 assists = goal contribution: 16

Not a good season for Big Rom but still much better than Sancho and Grealish. The two English players combined have produced the same goal contribution as Romelu Lukaku alone.

Ones a striker, the other two are forwards. I wouldn’t say it’s a like for like comparison.

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
Goals and assists are not the only metric that should be measured when deciding on how good a player has been for the club especially for attacking midfielders that are not strikers.

In 674 appearances for Barcelona, Iniesta only has 57 goals and 138 assists, which is only 0.29 goal contributions per game. Yet he is one of the greatest midfielders/attacking midfielders of all time.

You just have to watch Lukaku for Chelsea and Grealish for City to see that Lukaku has been a worse signing this season.

Last edited:

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
Grealish being compared to Iniesta?
The point is judging Grealish only on goals and assists, when not many City players get stacks of goals and assists, the numbers are usually shared between many players. Yet Lukaku was bought to be the main striker and score goals, so of course he is expected to have more goals than Grealish. Just looking at goals and assists and not actual judging based on watching them both play is not fair.

Lukaku has been a bigger flop.

Pintu

Lukaku has been a bigger flop.
Lukaku and Grealish have been poor all season, it is like the cattle and the pot, the Mote and the Beam. It is a six of one or half a dozen… There is nothing Saving either of them.

Grealish did cost more money and Lukaku does earn a higher wage. I personally can’t label either of them the bigger flop. We’d be doing the other a big injustice. They’ve both earned it.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!

JADON SANCHO (£80m)

JACK GREALISH (£100m)

This is daft. Lukaku would have been a flop had he doubled his output. He’s been astonishingly bad.

Comparing him to a pair of wide forwards/midfielders, one of whom is playing at a horror show of a club…. Well it’s an opinion. Just not a good one.

Halftrack

JADON SANCHO (£80m)

JACK GREALISH (£100m)

Bizarre comparison.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
I've criticised and mocked him a lot this season, think it's only fair to also talk about his good moments too. Played pretty well the last 2 games and he's fought his way into the conversation for the final for me. I'm still leaning towards starting Havertz but it's not as clearcut a decision as it was a couple of weeks ago.

Happy for him to be honest.

Djemba-Djemba

I've criticised and mocked him a lot this season, think it's only fair to also talk about his good moments too. Played pretty well the last 2 games and he's fought his way into the conversation for the final for me. I'm still leaning towards starting Havertz but it's not as clearcut a decision as it was a couple of weeks ago.

Happy for him to be honest.
He's a dreadful big game player and especially dreadful vs Liverpool.

Would be a big call to play him over the guy who scored the winner in the CL final for you.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
He's a good player and will turn this around if given the chance. I think Tuchel is also being a bit stubborn in not adapting to events that happened during the season, and it's clear that the team morale had better days.

Ones a striker, the other two are forwards. I wouldn’t say it’s a like for like comparison.
Plus as much as I think he's overrated, expect Pep to get another gear out of Grealish next season. Lukaku is too limited to go beyond where he is now.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
He's a dreadful big game player and especially dreadful vs Liverpool.

Would be a big call to play him over the guy who scored the winner in the CL final for you.
It would be a big call but not as clearcut as it once was. Sometimes you have to go with the hot hand. I don't know.

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper
It would be a big call but not as clearcut as it once was. Sometimes you have to go with the hot hand. I don't know.
Lukaku is just stat padding against poor/average teams at the end of the season. He has literally never turned up for a big game in his life. Starting him would be suicidal imo. I mean, didn't Pep even take the p*ss out of him by dropping his best CB when you played them last as he knew Lukaku was starting?

copen1945

He has had a poor season. All will be forgiven if he does well in the FA Cup final.

Markolan

Supports
AC Milan
Following his three goals in the past few days, Romelu Lukaku has now broken into the top 20 on the Premier League's all-time goalscorers list with 121 goals.

Impressive numbers for Salah too, if he stays at Liverpool another couple of season he should be able to reach the top10 which is amazing given he's a winger while Alan Shearer seems out of reach for Harry Kane

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Lukaku is just stat padding against poor/average teams at the end of the season. He has literally never turned up for a big game in his life. Starting him would be suicidal imo. I mean, didn't Pep even take the p*ss out of him by dropping his best CB when you played them last as he knew Lukaku was starting?
I hear you man. I'm just saying it isn't as clearcut as it once was. Havertz hasn't scored since the tap in against Southampton over a month ago. He missed chance after chance against a United team on the beach and a heavily rotated West Ham team who had their eyes on a European SF. I know it's not all about goals, and Havertz clearly offers a lot off the ball, and it's for this reason I'm leaning towards Havertz, but Lukaku's confidence is up right now, after 3 goals in 2 games.

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.
I mean it's not a hill I'm willing to die on, but the 'he can't guard me' stuff is very common in the NBA. Jalen Green was asked about what he learnt about himself in his rookie season. His answer: "that I'm a bucket". That's the kind of thing I'm referring to.
He learned he is a massive gaping fanny?

marko goalo

Playing Lukaku in the cup final is a risk and there's a chance he'll score, just a matter of whether it's at the correct end....