Romelu Lukaku | Chelsea

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Pogba was the better signing as it stands. If we get £50m of the £97m recouped through loans and an eventual sale then i’d argue it’s much closer to call.
89 million for Pogba is much better deal than 50 million for Lukaku.

cyberman

This talk of 50m amuses me. Lukaku isnt leaving Inter after one season since he’s found his level and where he’s comfortable at. Only league paying 50m for a 30 year old who doesn’t want to be at the sellers club are in England and he will never return to English football after this.

Stadjer

Pogba was the better signing as it stands. If we get £50m of the £97m recouped through loans and an eventual sale then i’d argue it’s much closer to call.
I dont know about that. Recency bias clouds some people their judgement about Pogba his second Manchester United period but he was good in his earlier seasons. Pogba might have had more decent/good seasons for Manchester United than Lukaku had good games for Chelsea.

Red Shorts

Forrest Gimp
We considered him a bit of a disaster signing after he left us, but we certainly got more out of our investment than Chelsea did. What on Earth were they thinking spending near £100m on him

Noodle

Supports
Chelsea
You haven't got anything back, there is no guarantee that any club will pay 40-50 million pounds for him. Inter paid around 70 million when he was much younger player, he will be 30 after his loan spell, doubt many clubs will pay that much for him, especially when he is on huge wages.
That’s why i used the word ‘maybe’. We’re already recouping £8m from this loan, it’s not outlandish to then think we could sell him for a further £32-42m in a years time.

Mastadon

Supports
Arsenal
That’s why i used the word ‘maybe’. We’re already recouping £8m from this loan, it’s not outlandish to then think we could sell him for a further £32-42m in a years time.
In the meantime you’ve tied up a club record fee in a player who’s practically done nothing for you. 100m pounds that could be better spent on players who actually want to play for your club and don’t belong in a mental institution. The fact that you MIGHT one day recoup a portion of that fee doesn’t change what a truly awful signing it was.

We’ve kind of done the same with Pepe but at least he helped us win the FA Cup and he did try to make it work.

Rajiztar

Supports
Chelsea
In the meantime you’ve tied up a club record fee in a player who’s practically done nothing for you. 100m pounds that could be better spent on players who actually want to play for your club and don’t belong in a mental institution. The fact that you MIGHT one day recoup a portion of that fee doesn’t change what a truly awful signing it was.

We’ve kind of done the same with Pepe but at least he helped us win the FA Cup and he did try to make it work.
Well he didn't say he didn't want to join us before the signing. It was a mistake and we just didn't want to drag on forever. Of course we try to get back as much money as possible but we surely accept the loss and move on. In that way we could write off his wages for doing nothing though.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Well he didn't say he didn't want to join us before the signing.
Probably because he thought he was getting his starting place handed to him.

That's all he cares about, as soon as he loses his place to Dzeko back at Inter he'll suddenly love Everton again.

redcucumber

There's something very severe about signing a player for £100m and then getting rid of said player as soon as possible a year later due to how disastrously bad it went (on a cut-price loan no less, to the same club originally purchased from). At least with Pogba we experienced middling success and his talent was never in question - there's a strong argument that we failed him as a club just as much as he failed us (not the place to get into that, though!).

Also, a player leaving on a free at the end of their contract is not necessarily an indictment of a bad transfer. It's not ideal but it's pretty common nowadays.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
There's something very severe about signing a player for £100m and then getting rid of said player as soon as possible a year later due to how disastrously bad it went (on a cut-price loan no less, to the same club originally purchased from). At least with Pogba we experienced middling success and his talent was never in question - there's a strong argument that we failed him as a club just as much as he failed us (not the place to get into that, though!).

Also, a player leaving on a free at the end of their contract is not necessarily an indictment of a bad transfer. It's not ideal but it's pretty common nowadays.
Yeah I don't think it's comparable with Pogba.

I think the best comparison with both clubs (in terms of fee:ability ratio) would be Maguire.

Last edited:

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Yeah I don't think it's comparable with Pogba.

I think the best comparison with both clubs (is terms of fee:ability ratio) would be Maguire.
Maguire has given us good periods, he isn't worth his transfer fee but it's not a player that United should get rid of. At this point we are in Hazard, Coutinho territory with Lukaku.

GifLord

Better at GIFs than posts
Nah, too early to say that. It's a disaster of a singing but not the worst.

I won't name who I think is the worst pl transfer ever because I think it's pogbvious.

If he stays at Chelsea picking up massive wages for the duration of his long contract, disrupting the squad for those years, underperforming, getting injured all the time winning only 1 2nd rate trophy and then leaving on a free transfer, I'd agree he is joint worst PL transfer ever.
Lukaku was literally found out after the City and Juve matches - and that was in September, less than 2 months after signing. You had fans thinking he was a changed man before those 2 matches happened. Sure Pogba was poor but he wasn't as poor as Lukaku's been.

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
It’s definitely the worst. For the price, for the exit, but also for the interview and the disruption it caused in such a short amount of time.

To have to call it curtains after only a matter of months and then to be forced to loan him to the club you just bought him for for a pittance. The details of this one definitely make it the worst PL transfer of all time.

ShoePolish

Did Tuchel really want him? Without watching Chelsea play, I had a sense that he dropped him way too early without trying to make it work. Bizzare transfer.

RacingClub

Supports
Racing Club
I never bought that he was this "New Lukaku" who had completely changed in Italy (mainly due to the fact that he showed some of his old traits in the Euros where I watched all his matches for gambling reasons) but its amazing how quickly this transfer went to shit after his debut vs Arsenal.

Orc

Pretended to be a United fan for two years
Supports
Chelsea
Did Tuchel really want him? Without watching Chelsea play, I had a sense that he dropped him way too early without trying to make it work. Bizzare transfer.
I think Tuchel wanted Haaland but this was before his small release clause was available so he would’ve cost £150m or more plus mega wages. So he wasn’t possible. Like this summer, there was an extreme shortage of top strikers. So when our board came to Tuchel and said “what about Lukaku?” I think he said “sure, why not.” That’s the only logical explanation I can come up with.

The Viper

This guy is an absolute fraud. Was seen kissing the Chelsea badge when he arrived and now this. Believed his own hype and thought he's a world class striker and should be considered amongst the best.
He'd win a ballon d'or if the game was about pointing fingers and giving thumps up.

AbusementPark

Operates the Unfairest Wheel
Soemtimes transfers dont work out and you have to cut your losses. Ive been at jobs myself that havent worked out the way it was meant to, taking a paycut for a better prospect to only find out I was better off were I was at previously. Needless to say I wouldnt go crawling back to a previous job unless it was something really special

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
You have to be out of your mind to call Pogba a worse signing than Lukaku.

ZolaWasMagic

Supports
Chelsea
Mental now many flop strikers they’ve had.
It is strange. Sheva, Mutu, Torres, Kezman, Falcao, Higuain and Pato although only loans, Pizarro, Morata even though he started really well, Remy, Batshuayi, Although I do not include Crespo in the list. Best finisher ive seen at the Bridge by a distance. I think he also had the best minutes to goals ratio in prem history, didnt he? May have been surpassed now though

Drogba, Eto'o, Costa, Ba, Crespo all did ok IMO.

Orc

Supports
Chelsea
It is strange. Sheva, Mutu, Torres, Kezman, Falcao, Higuain and Pato although only loans, Pizarro, Morata even though he started really well, Remy, Batshuayi, Although I do not include Crespo in the list. Best finisher ive seen at the Bridge by a distance. I think he also had the best minutes to goals ratio in prem history, didnt he? May have been surpassed now though

Drogba, Eto'o, Costa, Ba, Crespo all did ok IMO.
We’ve been world class at signing defenders and keepers but have been one of, if not the worst at signing strikers and wingers.

Hopefully once we appoint a new Director of Football under this new owner things will change. No more owner/board signings. Let the football people make decisions.

ZolaWasMagic

Supports
Chelsea
We’ve been world class at signing defenders and keepers but have been one of,milf not the worst at signing strikers and wingers.

Hopefully once we appoint a new Director of Football under this new owner things will change. No more owner/board signings. Let the football people make decisions.
Yes, very few poor GK [Sullivan and Turnbull aside, Kepa for the money too] or defenders once we sign them, but attackers, really poor.

We've been needing a proper DoF for a long time. I wonder if Cech may step up

IrishRedDevil

Remember early in the season he bullied Arsenal / Ben White and everyone was raving about him being a top quality signing and the difference maker for Chelsea…

Running back to Italy for €8 million :lol: :lol: :lol:

Orc

Supports
Chelsea
Remember early in the season he bullied Arsenal / Ben White and everyone was raving about him being a top quality signing and the difference maker for Chelsea…

Running back to Italy for €8 million :lol: :lol: :lol:
He turned up thin and shredded physically. He looked like the lean, aggressive Lukaku from Inter in those early days. Was awesome in that game against Arsenal you mentioned and I remember him scoring a few other fantastic goals early on.

Then by the end of the season he morphed back into the United Lukaku. Chubby, slow, low effort. He just decided to give up.

Orc

Supports
Chelsea
Hope he crushes it once again at Inter, btw. There will absolutely be a market for him if he returns to his previous Serie A form.

Inter could decide to buy him permanently, someone like Atleti are always buying strikers, etc. We’re never getting all our money back but I don’t think something like €40-50m is out of the question next summer if he scores 25+ goals for example.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Can't wait for the interviews once this is actually finalised, from both Chelsea's side and Lukaku's :smirk:

charlenefan

We’ve been world class at signing defenders and keepers but have been one of, if not the worst at signing strikers and wingers.

World class at signing keepers? Kepa?

Orc

Supports
Chelsea
World class at signing keepers? Kepa?
That’s one (really bad) dud. Cech, Courtois, Mendy. Even some of our backup keepers have been very solid like Begovic and Willy Cabballero.

charlenefan

That’s one (really bad) dud. Cech, Courtois, Mendy. Even some of our backup keepers have been very solid like Begovic and Willy Cabballero.
I dunno I'll give you Cech but a good keeper is one that's there for ages IMO not only a few seasons like Courtois was and Mendy I still feel could be improved (don't get me wrong he's been good)