Romelu Lukaku claims he was scapegoated with two other players at Manchester United

Giggsyking

Romelu Lukaku claims he was among three players who were made scapegoats of as a result of Manchester United's poor form last season.

The Belgian forward, who left United to join Inter Milan earlier this month, suggested Paul Pogba and Alexis Sanchez also received an unwarranted amount of criticism as the Reds finished the Premier League campaign in sixth position.

"They have to find somebody," Lukaku told the LightHarted Podcast, which appears to have been recorded before his move to Inter was finalised. "It is Pogba, it is me or it is Alexis. It's the three of us all the time. For me, I just see it in many ways."

The 26-year-old added that he disagrees with the notion that he didn't fit in with Ole Gunnar Solskjaer's high-intensity system.

"A lot of people don't think I should be part of that system," Lukaku added. "That's my feeling from the conversations that I have, I just know.

"For me, the thing that makes me laugh a lot is... how the hell is s*** going bad in my team, but when I play in my national team, it's good? And I'm happy.

"I didn't play the last six weeks of the league, like the last three weeks or something before the end of the season and then I had another three weeks off before I had to play for the national team, and then we go and play with the Belgium team and... rollin' and I was there.

"And nobody there complains because I think the perception in my country is changing slightly. A lot of people were saying a lot of stuff. For me it took years for a lot of people to change their perception. Man Utd might not get that time. It's s***** that it happens like that.

"When I go and play for my country, we play the style of play that we want to play probably with Man United and I do well over there.

"So is it me? Four goals in the World Cup, three weeks ago I scored three goals in two games, and before that we played Switzerland and Iceland in September and I scored four goals in two games. I've scored 48 goals for my country.

"OK we all know that international soccer is different than club football but the playing style we play in the national team is the one we want to play at Man United.

"So is it me? Or do we need to have a conversation from man to man and tell each other the rules?"

Lukaku added that he didn't feel like he was protected by United towards the end of his time at the club.

"I think a lot of stuff has been said, where I didn't feel protected," Lukaku added. "A lot of rumours, 'Rom is going to go there, they don't want Rom' and nobody came out and shot it down."

https://www.manchestereveningnews.c...ball-news/man-utd-news-romelu-lukaku-16794591

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I don’t think Lukaku was scapegoated much at all. At least, by the media.

Pogba took [takes] the brunt of it.

Alexis kind of just faded into obscurity in the minds of everyone.

That interview is just the typical insecurity Lukaku reeks off as well.

Stadjer

Rom cant control a football and scores against small clubs and small countries. Why cant he talk about that?

Superunknown

I liked the player when he was at the club and I could see the value that he brought to the team. But, I've started to change my mind about him this Summer, especially when he talks like this. Why not just silently leave and then put all of your effort into your new club, instead of moaning about the old one?

IrishMcD

I wonder why himself and Sanchez were made scapegoats? Maybe because they were on massive wages and had the first touch of a drunk hippo on stilts.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
He's the player's version of David Moyes. We'll be hearing about his unfair treatment at United for years :lol:

Grown ass man, more like grown ass baby. :lol:

El Jefe

I don't like him as a player but he's telling the truth about feeling like he wasn't protected.

fergiesarmy1

Trying to change the narrative from I was fat, crap and useless to its united fault.

He was talking about Italy the previous summer because he knew he couldn’t cut it playing for united. Still remember the horseshit he came out about i bulked up for the World Cup intentionally. No Rom, you got lazy and got found out. You maybe able to do it in the serie A, you may not but don’t blame Man United as they paid a hell of a lot of money for you and give you every chance.

Josep Dowling

Talking about his international record when he

a) has Hazard and De Bruyne either side of him

b) the opposition he is scoring goals against is way inferior to the Premier League teams

I think he’s a better striker than most people think but slagging off the club after you leave just leaves a sour taste in the mouth. Won’t be remembered for much at this club other than having a terrible first touch. Says it all.

Art Vandelay

Who was scapegoating him? Was he on here? What did he want protection from? Transfer rumours? He seems to be talking a lot of shite lately.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
I don't get what he means. He's annoyed that people blame him and Sanchez for not scoring goals despite being forwards on a lot of money?

Well no fecking shit.

El Zoido

Scored against Switzerland and Iceland, fecking superstar. No point holding the Ballon d’Or this year.

trafford1980

The more Rom talks, the happier I am that he’s gone. United haven’t said boo since he left and he’s out here debating himself.

Alas I’m sure we’ll be hearing it all again after he scores a hattrick against Cagliari immediately after his inevitable no-show against Juve.

SirAnderson

Dude is super bitter.
It's simple, you going to get scrutinized when you don't deliver, and he definiltey didn't deliver what was expected from his role as a main striker for us. Scapegoat my ass, he under-performed and has been called out for it. Yeah some people go OTT in insults, but his record is the only insult he should take seriously, cause its bad in comparison to what he think he is.

Glad he is gone, for all the mentality talk, he is very insecure.

Santoryo

ripping the reward
He actually made some valid points. I know people won't bother to take a look at what he said from a rational stand point but rather an emotional one(people hate him on these boards) but the bit about being protected is true. Same with the scapegoating, though this point in especially true in regard to Pogba. That man has been scapegoated to no end and it's still happening with Neville and the media trying to scapegoat him for everything happening wrong right now(although there isn't much wrong happening currently).

Based Adnan

This guy trying to argue he fits Ole's style of play with his trampoline touch. Get to feck.

Absolute donkey and how we've gotten our money back (and potentially made a profit with the 10% sell on fee) I'll never know.

Matt007a

He’s become really bitter lately hasn’t he? Of course he plays well for Belgium. If you have Hazard and De Bruyne next to you it’s pretty easy to find the net.

He didn’t take nearly the amount of heat that Pogba does, so not sure what he’s getting at really.

FreakyJim

90% of teams play better football than us
When we were deciding between Morata and him I knew whoever we chose we'd get an overpriced mediocre striker but I liked Lukaku better. He was decent for Everton and showed in his first season with us that he can be very useful.
But the way he ballooned was just stupid and irresponsible. I don't care if it's not fat but muscle. Whatever it is, it made him a worse player, one that don't work as hard as he should without the ball and one that can't control simple balls.

It's mostly his fault that he failed here.

trafford1980

He actually made some valid points. I know people won't bother to take a look at what he said from a rational stand point but rather an emotional one(people hate him on these boards) but the bit about being protected is true. Same with the scapegoating, though this point in especially true in regard to Pogba. That man has been scapegoated to no end and it's still happening with Neville and the media trying to scapegoat him for everything happening wrong right now(although there isn't much wrong happening currently).
Yes, in relation to Pogba it’s 100% true but Lukaku and Sanchez were scapegoated because they were absolute dogshit. It’s an insult to Pogba that he’s even mentioned in the same breath as the other two.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
He needs a fecking gag order or something. The guy doesn't stop whining about United.

Shut up Romelu, you're boring.

Last edited:

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Lukaku, Pogba and Sanchez were criticised a lot. And it was deserved for all three, they all underperformed in various ways which impacted the club alot more than other players because of their cost, wages and seniority.

I'm getting really fed up of elite high paid players whinging and moaning when they get criticised, and then want to leave the club because we haven qualified for Champions League etc. Someone should explain to them that they share a disproportionate amount of responsibility to make sure we succeed, that's why they get bought for astronomical transfer fee's, , are paid the big bucks, and get the superstar exposure. And likewise, when we fail, they should accept a disproportionate amount of the criticism and blame.

One area I do sympathise with Lukaku is that we never really created a system for his to thrive in, which is nuts, given he was our main goal scorer. And after OGS made it clear that Rasford and Martial were his key strikers, he had to leave ASAP. But while he was at the club, he also had significant failings, and was rightly criticised for it.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
He's the player's version of David Moyes. We'll be hearing about his unfair treatment at United for years :lol:

Grown ass man, more like grown ass baby. :lol:
Fans: Act your age not your shoe size.

Lukaku: I’m size 27?

Cee90

Redcafe Fantasy Football Champion 2012/13
Anyone else a bit sick of hearing about him now that he's left?

I guess it's my own fault for clicking on this thread :lol:

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Guy is full of it. Shittest touch I've ever seen.
Fully thought he had the right mentality when he joined, but if anything it seems like he was a virus with his crappy attitude and lethargic, big headed approach to being better (or not in his case). Glad he's fecked off.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
He is right that the club clearly did not give a feck about him leaving.
He is entitled to his opinion about his game although I think it is BS.

Kostur

海尔的老板
Jesus this bitch again, I'm slowly growing to hate him.

He got plenty of protection when he was shit under Mourinho. He's such a soft cnut it's unbelievable.