Romelu Lukaku | Mourinho Part III | Roma watch

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
If only all of our 'worst signings ever' scored 27 goals in their first season:rolleyes:
He isn't close to be one of our worst signings but it was a misguided one, in my opinion he took two years of Martial's development as a striker for no gain at all. Also it's interesting to see who he scored against, in cups it was against shoddy teams in early stages and in the league he barely scored against top half teams.

GifLord

Better at GIFs than posts
I was going to ask what @GifLord would do with himself if Lukaku scored 50 goals next season, then I realised that Kanye has a better chance of becoming president.
You do realize he play's in a way weaker league? Serie A isn't even a top 3 league anymore.
23 goals this season in Serie A and 15 came against bottom 10 teams.
Stop overrating this shitty stat padding merchant

JPRouve

Scout
You do realize he play's in a way weaker league? Serie A isn't even a top 3 league anymore.
That's still a very good league. I know that you hate Lukaku but come on! :)

bludsucker

Can we close this thread please. It’s like groundhog day in here. The same characters pipe up with the same set of arguments over and over every time he has a bad game or he scores.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
Shocker of a signing. I just pretend it didn't happen. Good riddance.
You're putting him on a par with Taibi though. Lukaku was a prolific second tier striker. Agreed we wanted a world class striker, particularly at that price, but there is a lot of hyperbole about him.

We lost the USC game vs Real cause of him, we lost an important match vs City because of him, we lost the UCL game vs Sevilla cause of him, we became a lauging stock
because of him

Dunno if you can solely blame him for those, but yep his big game record was woeful. Didn't he have a shite World Cup too?
There's just a weird level of hate for him, when he did a job of sorts.
This thread just mirrors the Moyes one for me- we really need to let it go.

Robbie Boy

You're putting him on a par with Taibi though. Lukaku was a prolific second tier striker. Agreed we wanted a world class striker, particularly at that price, but there is a lot of hyperbole about him.
Of course it's hyperbole! All things considered; what he cost along with agent fees and wages, his stinking attitude and a-lot of utterly inept performances, yeah he was a tragic signing.

Stacks

He isn't close to be one of our worst signings but it was a misguided one, in my opinion he took two years of Martial's development as a striker for no gain at all. Also it's interesting to see who he scored against, in cups it was against shoddy teams in early stages and in the league he barely scored against top half teams.
Started with a bang then bagged 8 league goals in the last 5 months (23 league games). All in all it was a good season for him.

Superunknown

We lost the USC game vs Real cause of him, we lost an important match vs City because of him, we lost the UCL game vs Sevilla cause of him, we became a lauging stock
because of him

My partner is Belgian and I often talk to her family about football when I'm over there. We got into a conversation about Lukaku shortly before he signed for us and they said it would be a good move for him, but that they didn't particularly rate him. I found that surprising at the time as I was certain he was a good fit. But, in hindsight, I know exactly what they were getting at. The technical side of his game is so hit and miss and you can only describe him as wasteful at times. Nowhere near clinical enough to be place on the top shelf of strikers.

I remember almost all of those misses in that video. His stats were good (especially that first season) but I always felt like he should have had a lot more. He would miss four great chances and then would maybe get lucky with the fifth one.

JPRouve

Scout
Started with a bang then bagged 8 league goals in the last 5 months (23 league games). All in all it was a good season for him.
And a bad one for us, which is why I say that it was misguided. Individual records are meaningless if they don't help the team being better. Lukaku reminds me Andrew Wiggins in the NBA, he is objectively a good scorer but his presence as a starter is bad for the team because he isn't efficient, he doesn't help the team.

freeurmind

weak willed
Can we close this thread please. It’s like groundhog day in here. The same characters pipe up with the same set of arguments over and over every time he has a bad game or he scores.
Find the "ignore thread"button. Use it.

KennyBurner

Of course it's hyperbole! All things considered; what he cost along with agent fees and wages, his stinking attitude and a-lot of utterly inept performances, yeah he was a tragic signing.
I’m actually an inter fan in Serie A all because they took that donkey off our hands. God bless them.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
My partner is Belgian and I often talk to her family about football when I'm over there. We got into a conversation about Lukaku shortly before he signed for us and they said it would be a good move for him, but that they didn't particularly rate him. I found that surprising at the time as I was certain he was a good fit. But, in hindsight, I know exactly what they were getting at. The technical side of his game is so hit and miss and you can only describe him as wasteful at times. Nowhere near clinical enough to be place on the top shelf of strikers.

I remember almost all of those misses in that video. His stats were good (especially that first season) but I always felt like he should have had a lot more. He would miss four great chances and then would maybe get lucky with the fifth one.
That's pretty much it for me. He's not an elite striker, his attitude doesn't seem particularly good but there are times when you look at his numbers and what he's done in certain matches and think he looks a very decent player.

Let's face it we were by no means acting like an elite-level club while Lukaku was here, so rather than shit all over him I'd rather just say it was a transfer which didn't work out, I wish him well in the future but I'm glad we've both moved on.

starman

because of him

I am still baffled by what happened at 0.53, it seems like one of those comically purposely poor video edits, but i remember seeing it happen live. He looks down at the ground but I don't see the ball bobble before he strikes it...

bludsucker

Find the "ignore thread"button. Use it.
Hang on. So what you are saying is that you prefer to read the same shit regurgitated over and over again and don’t want to hear anyone complain about it. It’s the forum equivalent of inserting fingers in your ears and shouting lalalala lest some interesting opinion find its way to you.

Superunknown

That's pretty much it for me. He's not an elite striker, his attitude doesn't seem particularly good but there are times when you look at his numbers and what he's done in certain matches and think he looks a very decent player.

Let's face it we were by no means acting like an elite-level club while Lukaku was here, so rather than shit all over him I'd rather just say it was a transfer which didn't work out, I wish him well in the future but I'm glad we've both moved on.
I liked him and thought he was handy to have. I wouldn't even count him as a flop or anything like that, just that he wasn't what we needed going forward. Worth a punt, we tried it, but not the right move for the long term for either player or the club.

Serie A is perfect for him. I wish him well.

DannyDee

He'll be remembered as a prolific goalscorer by casual fans who didn't watch him week in and out. The issue with him is, in the current playstyle implemented by most teams, he provides hollow numbers. He'll get his goals, but he doesn't increase the productivity of the entire attacking front due to how limited he is at a technical level. If he ever wants to win something, he basically needs to be used as a last 25 minute or so poacher when you are chasing a game, or when the opposition is tired and you'll have tons of space on the counter (basically his early success with West Brom and Everton). He's not a 90 minute player on a championship team. He's basically hollow numbers.

Robbie Boy

Hang on. So what you are saying is that you prefer to read the same shit regurgitated over and over again and don’t want to hear anyone complain about it. It’s the forum equivalent of inserting fingers in your ears and shouting lalalala lest some interesting opinion find its way to you.
To be fair, you can click the 'ignore thread' option or just not click on the thread.

tenpoless

Surely I can't be the only one who didn't expect him to be an elite striker when he signed for us? the fee was too expensive but he was never a top player to begin with. But in my mind at least he guaranteed goals, my expectation was that he was going to be a striker in the mold of Chicarito but stronger, you create chances and he finishes it. But he failed even just that. I never thought his first touch was that bad and how he was not very good in the air regardless of his height. And we didn't even have proper wingers to play with a classic number 9. You expect him to make a dazzling run and beat 3 defenders before chipping it over the GK? it happens.... in your dream. In FIFA the only buttons you press when you control him are pass and shoot. That's it. Inter is his place and Conte is a manager in the mold of Jose. So They'd get a long, on the pitch at least

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Surely I can't be the only one who didn't expect him to be an elite striker when he signed for us? the fee was too expensive but he was never a top player to begin with. But in my mind at least he guaranteed goals, my expectation was that he was going to be a striker in the mold of Chicarito but stronger, you create chances and he finishes it. But he failed even just that. I never thought his first touch was that bad and how he was not very good in the air regardless of his height. And we didn't even have proper wingers to play with a classic number 9. You expect him to make a dazzling run and beat 3 defenders before chipping it over the GK? it happens.... in your dream. In FIFA the only buttons you press when you control him are pass and shoot. That's it. Inter is his place and Conte is a manager in the mold of Jose. So They'd get a long, on the pitch at least
ah

Paul_Scholes18

I thought it was stupid to sell him without replacement, but in the end we got third so Oles gamble payed off. Even though we really missed him for the first half before we got Bruno.
Now we can drop him in our minds really and move on to new attackers. If it is Sancho or someone else to join our young mix.
Since we let Lukaku and Sanchez go we really lack quality depth particular with Mata getting older and not sure what to say about Lingard.
Big summer here to boost our attack if we want to fight for the title.

el3mel

because of him

You have really some weird hate for him, Gif, it's like it's personal hate at this moment. Calm down a little bit.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
because of him

Good lord he's terrible with his head. I'd have scored every one of the headers in my pomp.

clarkydaz

I am still baffled by what happened at 0.53, it seems like one of those comically purposely poor video edits, but i remember seeing it happen live. He looks down at the ground but I don't see the ball bobble before he strikes it...
there isnt one, its what he does. In the other clip for inter he misses good chances then somehow looks at his team mates like its their fault. Remember when he trod on the ball for us trying to control it with nobody around him, then stayed down pretending to be injured out of pure embarrassment. Delighted he is gone

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
The stats arent exactly stellar. They are good enough.. I havent seen Inter enough.. how has he been? Same Lukaku? or has his overall game improved ?
From what I've read it sounds very similar to his first season with us. Started the season scoring quite a few goals but his overall performance was iffy. Then had a period of a couple of months where he improved further and was actually quite good and started winning the fans over. But then fell away again and, despite still scoring, his overall performance left the fans uncertain how they really feel about him.

Will be interesting to see if his second season follows the same format his second season for us did. If so, a word of warning to any Inter fans here, get the pitchforks out because he'll literally be one of the worst players in the entire league. Luckily for you I don't think that will happen and I expect it'll continue more like this season, but part of me kind of hopes it does so somebody else will feel the utter disgust of watching him play like that.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
There's just a weird level of hate for him, when he did a job of sorts.
He did a job in his first season. The hate is because of his disgraceful second season. I've said it before and I'll say it again - for the first half of that season I firmly believe he was the worst regular starter in the entire league. All the while he was quite obviously blaming our other players and talking about himself being 'a big man' or whatever rubbish he was spouting at the time because he was a teachers pet. He got a bit better once Ole came in and dropped him for a while, but then proceeded to shit-talk us and make training information public once he left.

There are very few ex-players that I like to see fail after they left. Basically just Tevez, Heinze and Di Maria. Lukaku is very close to the same level for me.

Edit: I just realised I must really hate Argentinian players. :lol:

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
I liked him and thought he was handy to have. I wouldn't even count him as a flop or anything like that, just that he wasn't what we needed going forward. Worth a punt, we tried it, but not the right move for the long term for either player or the club.

Serie A is perfect for him. I wish him well.
Agreed on that. I was pissed off with him in his last season here, when he was out of condition and looking like he was lacking sharpness and I must admit I was swayed by the whispers of his poor attitude and his own comments at the time as they seemed to bear out in what I saw on the pitch. But it also pays to remember the club wasn't the best place to be at that moment and no players barring De Gea and perhaps Rashford were tearing it up. His comments about imagining leaving after his second game didn't particularly annoy me but they did confirm the whole transfer was wrong; wrong player, wrong club, wrong time, wrong fee. For me he's not a great striker whatsoever but he's not our problem, and we aren't his.

Smores

He did a job in his first season. The hate is because of his disgraceful second season. I've said it before and I'll say it again - for the first half of that season I firmly believe he was the worst regular starter in the entire league. All the while he was quite obviously blaming our other players and talking about himself being 'a big man' or whatever rubbish he was spouting at the time because he was a teachers pet. He got a bit better once Ole came in and dropped him for a while, but then proceeded to shit-talk us and make training information public once he left.

There are very few ex-players that I like to see fail after they left. Basically just Tevez, Heinze and Di Maria. Lukaku is very close to the same level for me.

Edit: I just realised I must really hate Argentinian players. :lol:
It's a real shame he let himself down because if he'd have carried on his form from that first season he may not have been loved but he'd of formed a good career here. Saying that i don't think he has the mentality for a top club and would have eventually imploded anyway.

He massively fecked up a dream move so i pity him more than i hate him.

It's a real shame he let himself down because if he'd have carried on his form from that first season he may not have been loved but he'd of formed a good career here. Saying that i don't think he has the mentality for a top club and would have eventually imploded anyway.

He massively fecked up a dream move so i pity him more than i hate him.
Exactly he let himself down.

He was never a talented footballer, but made the most of it with his attitude and willingness to be the best he could.

As soon as he joined Utd, he acted as if he had made it, when the reality was he needed to work even harder.

Unfortunately, what we saw was an unfit, unprofessional, poor striker. I’ve never seen any professional at a top club be in such poor condition. His fitness was non-league. I don’t believe for a minute the story misdiagnosed digestion - poor diet, poor fitness and lack of application.

With his shocking attitude, he never gave himself a chance. It’s why I dislike him, because he was given a massive opportunity and platform, and he couldn’t be bothered to work hard enough. His failure is 100% down to him.