Romelu Lukaku | Mourinho Part III | Roma watch

Abraxas

What a disaster of a buy for Chelsea.

Incredible how badly it has gone. I mean he wasn't spectacular for us and for some reason Chelsea thought they'd get much more out of him, which I guess wasn't too ridiculous but somehow he's actually been even worse.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Surely he's embarrassed by all this? Is he just going to pretend last season didn't happen? That he can't cut it in the PL? Keep talking about how he's elite?
He spent a decade in the PL. He can cut it in the PL.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
And scored about ... 100 goals in that time? Now I know he had loans, his early years but c100 goals in several seasons isn't great?
278 appearances, 121 goals (only 7 pens) and 35 assists.

Considering a big chunk of those were for West Brom and Everton, that's a decent record.

Obviously a disaster for Chelsea.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
And scored about ... 100 goals in that time? Now I know he had loans, his early years but c100 goals in several seasons isn't great?
I know its easy to dislike the guy, but he's had good moments in the league. Only Kane scored more than him in 2016/2017 and he was playing for Everton, which also was more than his tally in his seasons in Italy. He also got 17 goals with WBA in the league, fecking WBA!. He's had more good seasons than shite. His obvious flaws shouldn't discount that he has been a good striker in the Premier League.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
I know its easy to dislike the guy, but he's had good moments in the league. Only Kane scored more than him in 2016/2017 and he was playing for Everton, which also was more than his tally in his seasons in Italy. He also got 17 goals with WBA in the league, fecking WBA!. He's had more good seasons than shite. His obvious flaws shouldn't discount that he has been a good striker in the Premier League.
Don’t get me wrong, don’t think he’s a disaster (well, for Chelsea yes, about £80m worth :) ) and definitely don’t dislike him… thought he looked ‘ok’ at Everton but would never have said “he’ll play at Chelsea, Inter and United and be involved in huge tfr fees“ (I know he doesn’t set them)

I nearly put in last post that he had a decent season or two but was more looking at a “decade in the PL” as a whole… maybe a fairer way to put it would be that he’s not cut it at top level (PL) clubs or consistent. A couple of good seasons and in his early/mid 20s, looked a real handful, mobile, confident, strong. Wonder if it s a bulk and/or confidence thing.

Hope he does ok at Inter, doesn’t bother me.

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
He reminds me of the Kardashians, and the rest of those influencer wankers. They believe their own bullshit. Think their photoshops are how they really look, think they've got where the have with hard work and from "nothing". He's as delusional as the lot of them. Absolute clown. He's nowhere near a top tier footballer, but thinks he should be talked about in the same breath and messi and Ronaldo.

Irrational.

Inter clearly have forgotten the infamous saying: “fool me once, shame on — shame on you. Fool me — you can't get fooled again.”

The guy is an utter fraud and both Inter and Chelsea are tools.

RVN1991

Why did anyone think he'd make it at Chelsea? I never understood how anyone thought it was anything but a disastrous signing from the beginning.

Sylar

Inter clearly have forgotten the infamous saying: “fool me once, shame on — shame on you. Fool me — you can't get fooled again.”

The guy is an utter fraud and both Inter and Chelsea are tools.
Think he's suited for there. Last time he had conte though so will be interesting to see how he does being older and coming off a season like this

OleGunnar20

What a cringe monster. Vying for Michael Owens throne? I wonder what his favourite film is?

SungSam7

He spent a decade in the PL. He can cut it in the PL.
Hes a big guy who was nothing more than a striker who scored goals against much lesser opposition.

He has one of the worst technical ability you will see in a top 5 league in any top 5 clubs of the respective leagues. Terrible player, terrible attitude.

Ibi Dreams

Yeah he does that, he thought about leaving United after one game.

I think he just likes the whole transfer process of moving from club to club every year.
Actually an interesting point. We know he's thin skinned and feels as though he should be loved and adored. What better way to get that feeling than by getting bought by another club? They tell him everything he wants to hear.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
One of the biggest frauds in the game. Up there with Martial for me in terms of piss poor mentality but yet somehow has made it to this point in football without being found out before now.

It just show's how much the game has changed. 15 years ago Lukaku plays for Stoke for his entire career.
15 years ago inzaghi was a regular for cl winners ac Milan and trezeguet was the main striker at Juventus.

The game has changed. Lots more managers value a forward who can contribute to the team's allround play now than pure goalscorers.

Nowadays, players like Firmino and Benzema can make careers out of being supporting players as the centre forward.

It was around 15 years ago really that it changed. Drogba was lauded at Chelsea despite not scoring much, Nistelrooy was chucked out of united for not doing enough besides goals.

B20

Supports
Liverpool

Needham

Why did anyone think he'd make it at Chelsea? I never understood how anyone thought it was anything but a disastrous signing from the beginning.
I said the same about Pogba coming back to Utd, In fact more than once, swear to god. But did the hierarchy listen to me? Did they feck. I mentioned twice in posts on prominent threads. Something could have been done.

stevoc

Actually an interesting point. We know he's thin skinned and feels as though he should be loved and adored. What better way to get that feeling than by getting bought by another club? They tell him everything he wants to hear.
Yeah having a club chase after you blowing smoke up your arse, telling how much they want you and how important you'd be for their project, crowds of fans greeting you at the airport/medical/signing, announcement video/press conference etc. All fuel for a fragile ego.

crossy1686

career ending
This is why most clubs only get one good season out of him before he eventually leaves

B20

Supports
Liverpool
In fairness, lukaku's overall game was much improved under Conte. And it was a fair assumption that he would still score goals.

Instead, the Conte effect lasted all of one game against arsenal before wearing off. And then the goals dried up too.

Pickle85

Prime Adebayor was leagues better than Luks. Argue me I'm wrong.
Agreed. Probably not as prolific but had much more to his game and to cap it all, the ball didn't bounce off him unpredictably whenever he tried to take a touch.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
The funny part is this is just a 1 season loan, right? If he does too well Chelsea might price him out of a move for Inter depending on their finances, or if he does shite they’ll probably not end up going for him again. :lol:

Might have to think up another “boyhood club” as a plan B just in case.

B20

Supports
Liverpool
Agreed. Probably not as prolific but had much more to his game and to cap it all, the ball didn't bounce off him unpredictably whenever he tried to take a touch.
Lukaku's best Premier league season was his last at Everton where he scored 25 from 37. Adebayors best he scored 24 from 36 for arsenal.

Adebayors second best league season was 17 goals from 31 games (Tottenham) and third best 14 from 26 (man City).

Lukaku's second best Premier league season was 18 from 37 (also Everton) and 17 from 35 (wba).

I've not factored in his time at inter as that is harder to compare even though it was arguably his peak. Still think adebayors peak was better though.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I'd choose peak adebayor over peak lukaku any day of the week.
Lukaku is a large Chicharito, he belongs to Leverkusen or as a squad player in a good/very good club.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Lukaku's best Premier league season was his last at Everton where he scored 25 from 37. Adebayors best he scored 24 from 36 for arsenal.

Adebayors second best league season was 17 goals from 31 games (Tottenham) and third best 14 from 26 (man City).

Lukaku's second best Premier league season was 18 from 37 (also Everton) and 17 from 35 (wba).

I've not factored in his time at inter as that is harder to compare even though it was arguably his peak. Still think adebayors peak was better though.
0.68 gpg vs 0.67 gpg.
0.49 gpg vs 0.55 gpg.
0.49 gpg vs 0.54 gpg.

Quite similar gpg ratio and City were significantly better than WBA and Arsenal are better than Everton. Adebayor had 5 top flight seasons where he scored more than 10 league goals. Lukaku has 9, in a row too. Last season was the first since 2011/12 where he hadn't scored 10 league goals.

Lukaku has 6 seasons where he has scored 20+ goals in all comps for his club and Adebayor has....1. Three of those seasons at Everton, one at United and two with Inter.

Pickle85

That's surprising to me...for some reason I had it in my head lukaku was much more prolific (though a worse all rounder). Ade was class at his best.