Romelu Lukaku | Mourinho Part III | Roma watch

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
That's surprising to me...for some reason I had it in my head lukaku was much more prolific (though a worse all rounder). Ade was class at his best.
Lukaku's bottom level, in terms of scoring, has been much higher throughout his career than Adebayor's.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
That's surprising to me...for some reason I had it in my head lukaku was much more prolific (though a worse all rounder). Ade was class at his best.
Again, Adebayor had one season where he has scored 20 + goals for his club. Lukaku has had six.

B20

Supports
Liverpool
0.68 gpg vs 0.67 gpg.
0.49 gpg vs 0.55 gpg.
0.49 gpg vs 0.54 gpg.

Quite similar gpg ratio and City were significantly better than WBA and Arsenal are better than Everton. Adebayor had 5 top flight seasons where he scored more than 10 league goals. Lukaku has 9, in a row too. Last season was the first since 2011/12 where he hadn't scored 10 league goals.

Lukaku has 6 seasons where he has scored 20+ goals in all comps for his club and Adebayor has....1. Three of those seasons at Everton, one at United and two with Inter.
the city/arsenal vs wba/everton doesn't hold much tration for me, given that Lukaku has had three seasons since those years with a Manchester united side and chelsea side that were better than the sides Adebayor played for, yet failed to better those numbers.

But yeah, Lukaku has been more reliable over the course of his career. At their best, which was the premise I argued, Adebayor was a better player though.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
the city/arsenal vs wba/everton doesn't hold much tration for me, given that Lukaku has had three seasons since those years with a Manchester united side and chelsea side that were better than the sides Adebayor played for, yet failed to better those numbers.

But yeah, Lukaku has been more reliable over the course of his career. At their best, which was the premise I argued, Adebayor was a better player though.
Right, but you want to ignore his seasons at Inter where he scored 30 + 34 goals in all comps. In the title winning season he scored more than Adebayor did in a season at club level and was a major part of them winning it. Adebayor has won 0 titles. It just feels like people are using his absolutely shite season at Chelsea as a stick to beat him with. Adebayor had some excellent goals but ffs he was nothing more than a good PL striker.

Pickle85

Right, but you want to ignore his seasons at Inter where he scored 30 + 34 goals in all comps. In the title winning season he scored more than Adebayor did in a season at club level and was a major part of them winning it. Adebayor has won 0 titles. It just feels like people are using his absolutely shite season at Chelsea as a stick to beat him with. Adebayor had some excellent goals but ffs he was nothing more than a good PL striker.
I think he was a better all rounder than Lukaku. Better at holding the ball up, better touch and better with it at his feet. About the only thing he hasn't been as good at is sticking it away.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
07/08 Adebayor is a level Lukaku could only dream of
His two seasons at Inter were both better than that season but I wouldn't be against someone saying that single season was better than any Lukaku has had. Over the course of their career though it's quite clear that Lukaku has been better and he is still going of course.

Last edited:

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
In fairness, lukaku's overall game was much improved under Conte. And it was a fair assumption that he would still score goals.

Instead, the Conte effect lasted all of one game against arsenal before wearing off. And then the goals dried up too.
Tbf I thought he uncharacteristically played allright in a big game a week later at your place and then scored twice against Villa the game after.

It was the City and Juve games where reality truly hit (I went into deep denial when we signed him trying to convince myself Italy actually did change him even though I knew it was rubbish).

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
In his head, I’m sure he thinks “it’s just a club move that didn’t work out, I’m still one of the best in the world”

But it doesn’t matter if he scores 30 this season, the conversation is dead in the water and his legacy will never recover.

I still think he is a really good striker in the right system, but he should have buckled down, accepted his choice and proven himself. That’s what the greats do, come up clutch when the chips are down.

He has run away and I think he will end up regretting that more than the initial transfer.

Cnaiür urs Skiötha

I am in the minority, but I sort of understand him. He wanted to take on a new challenge but got really unhappy at Chelsea. So he did everything to get back to the place where he felt happy, even waived a good amount of money with the knowledge that his career clearly took a step backwards.
Not saying that his behavior has been ok or that he acted like you would expect someone with his status to do, but in a way this is human.

InfiniteBoredom

I am in the minority, but I sort of understand him. He wanted to take on a new challenge but got really unhappy at Chelsea. So he did everything to get back to the place where he felt happy, even waived a good amount of money with the knowledge that his career clearly took a step backwards.
Not saying that his behavior has been ok or that he acted like you would expect someone with his status to do, but in a way this is human.
And there’s nothing wrong with that, the issue with Lukaku has always been that he and his supporters overrate his ability and when he inevitably fell short at the highest level, invents all sorts of torturous excuses rather than facing the simple fact that Lukaku is a good striker, but a very mediocre footballer and that holds him back from being considered among the very best as he would claim.

crossy1686

career ending
There's nothing wrong with cutting something that isn't working out but he didn't even give it a chance, as soon as he got to Chelsea he started talking about Inter and their fans, which upset Tuchel and Chelsea fans from the first international break. Then he has the nerve to say the 'vibe wasn't right', yeah no shit mate, you caused that by being a massive bellend though. Instead of fronting up and apologising for his tone deaf approach to trying to appease fans of another club, he doubled down, made things worse and talked his way out of starting, and got a bunch of shit from Chelsea's fans in the process.

Arios

Supports
Juventus
how will Chelsea approach this? because there is no way in Hell Inter gonna pay him anything next summer and Chelsea just spent 115m for him

bringbackbebe

With all this trash talking, it's incredibly funny when you think he's going to return to Chelsea next year and no one's going to pay a fee to buy him :lol: . He's signed a 5 year contract and going to be Bogarde v.2

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
There's nothing wrong with cutting something that isn't working out but he didn't even give it a chance, as soon as he got to Chelsea he started talking about Inter and their fans, which upset Tuchel and Chelsea fans from the first international break. Then he has the nerve to say the 'vibe wasn't right', yeah no shit mate, you caused that by being a massive bellend though. Instead of fronting up and apologising for his tone deaf approach to trying to appease fans of another club, he doubled down, made things worse and talked his way out of starting, and got a bunch of shit from Chelsea's fans in the process.
If you rewatch his interviews, videos and body language in his early games when he joined he was perfectly happy. The supposed love for Inter only started up when he realised he had a fight on for his place.

Soon as he's dropped for Dzeko his supposed love for Inter will dissappear into the night aswell.

Arios

Supports
Juventus
They've just paid us about 10 mil for this season loan. What makes you think they won't pay anything else next if he does well this season?
cheap option for a year but you realize a 10m loan is still a loss on Chelsea books? as you pay a deprecation fee of 23m/year
And no way in hell that Inter gonna pay 69m (Lukakus worth on Chelsea books next year) + 10m they just paid for a 30years old player.
They're in dire strifes economically speaking

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
cheap option for a year but you realize a 10m loan is still a loss on Chelsea books? as you pay a deprecation fee of 23m/year
And no way in hell that Inter gonna pay 69m (Lukakus worth on Chelsea books next year) + 10m they just paid for a 30years old player.
They're in dire strifes economically speaking
Who said they would? Chelsea are obviously going to take a big loss on the deal overall.

You said Inter won't pay anything though. Which is obviously utter bollocks.

B20

Supports
Liverpool
I totally understand it.

What I find it grating is the massive chip on his shoulder he carries about not being regarded as on level with lewandowski and Benzema, despite his failures. He'll be bigging himself up again at the next purple patch.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
I totally understand it.

What I find it grating is the massive chip on his shoulder he carries about not being regarded as on level with lewandowski and Benzema, despite his failures. He'll be bigging himself up again at the next purple patch.
That's the hilarious thing, he wants to be considered at that level but at the same time not held to those standards when he's not doing it.

Pintu

If you rewatch his interviews, videos and body language in his early games when he joined he was perfectly happy. The supposed love for Inter only started up when he realised he had a fight on for his place.

Soon as he's dropped for Dzeko his supposed love for Inter will dissappear into the night aswell.
Dzeko might be the better footballer with great technique but he is 36 years old. He’s only scored 15+ league goals twice in the last 5 seasons… Lukaku gives them vital power and pace and he won’t be dropped for no reason.