Romelu Lukaku | Mourinho Part III | Roma watch

Oranges038

I think lukaku is overrated, never wanted him at United and was delighted he left. Never should be in the bracket of Benzema, Kane, Henry, Battistuta, Fat Ronaldo etc. He's a good player but, Italy definitely suits him more. But today I believe he has got a lot of unfair stick. He's been out since August, played 30 odd mins since and it's natural to be out of rhythm. Rooney took 10 games to get fit again, I've seen Del Piero come back and miss some sitter, I've played Sunday league, been injured and its taken me a bit of time to come back. On flip side you get players that roll straight back in the groove, Messi, Haaland etc. Poor guy but at same time I'm happy Belgium are out and the memes are hilarious.
Every striker misses sitters. Not many coming back from injury or not will miss all of the ones he did yesterday.

He should have scored at least 1 or 2, fully fit or not.

BerryBerryShrew

anyone else see him aim a punch at martinez after the game?

The thumbnail to that video is brilliant. Imagine being a self professed "world class striker" and missing chances that an infant would be ashamed of and then afterwards you have (a no doubt perplexed) Thierry Henry consoling you. It must make him feel even worse knowing that the guy putting an arm around his shoulder used to score wondergoals in his sleep.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
The thumbnail to that video is brilliant. Imagine being a self professed "world class striker" and missing chances that an infant would be ashamed of and then afterwards you have (a no doubt perplexed) Thierry Henry consoling you. It must make him feel even worse knowing that the guy putting an arm around his shoulder used to score wondergoals in his sleep.
But who also was criticised for not doing it in the big games.

bringbackbebe

Holy mother of Gabriel Jesus! Didn't see the game, but saw highlights of those misses. One could be forgiven for mistaking him to be a Croatian defender. What a bottler!

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
If he’s half fit he shouldn’t have been picked, I don’t get why any manager would opt for a player with no sharpness in a competition where you can be out after 90 minutes. :lol:

I do feel a bit bad for him, maybe I’m soft.

Cloud7

Feel bad for him? Not likely, an egotistical wanker who chats shit about Utd every chance he gets. Im loving it.
Same. I've not disliked a United player as much in a longgg time (Until Ronaldo recently who easily surpasses Lukaku in the dislike scale) and so I always enjoy when he craps the bus. Same with Moyes. Moyes, Lukaku and now Ronaldo are three individuals I will always enjoy seeing flounder.

tenpoless

That's why xG can be a misleading stat. If you didn't see his chances and look at his xG alone, you'd think oh wow he's such a good striker perhaps unlucky.
Nah he's shyte.

Tony247

I made a song commemorating Lukaku and Belgium's exit.

"Ten green bottles sitting on the wall, ten green bottles sitting on the wall, and if Lukaku struck a ball trying to make one fall, there'll be ten green bottles sitting on the wall"
:lol: splendid

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Meh he was fine for United initially really;

1) 27 goals in 51
2) 15 goals in 45

The main argument was Lukaku v Morata as Lukaku picked United over the return to yourselves and you ended up getting Morata for big money. Morata well and truly lost that battle with numbers of 15/48 and then 9/24.

As time went on United fans started seeing his limitations and the cracks got bigger. There were worries about what else he brought in season one then when things started to drop in season two, along with the attitude , the writing was on the wall. That said his goal return was still quite good and was the main reason we got pretty much our money back from Inter.

I still find it unbelievable that despite what happened in the PL at United Chelsea decided to part with 100m for an older version of him.
His goal record has always been okay, even with us he got 1 in 3 which would have been perfectly fine if it came with a good all round game. That was never the reason he attracted the critics he has.

There's a reason he didn't get his first piece of silverware in a major league until he was 28, and even then it took a manager who made even Victor Moses a Champion.

Tap

Player coming back from injury, thrown on to salvage the fortunes of a mediocre Belgium...

Scapegoat express, all aboard!!
Still not a good enough excuse for missing sitters that even amateur players are expected to put away.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
He's probably the least clutch striker of his generation.

Tap

Cried after the game. Whatever happened to “grown ass man”

TheReligion

Abusive
His goal record has always been okay, even with us he got 1 in 3 which would have been perfectly fine if it came with a good all round game. That was never the reason he attracted the critics he has.

There's a reason he didn't get his first piece of silverware in a major league until he was 28, and even then it took a manager who made even Victor Moses a Champion.
Surely you’re not trying to say Lukaku performed the same at United as he did at Chelsea?

MrBest

Putting Rooney and Del piero’s name to defend lukaku. You know who del piero was and what del piero was capable of? Him missing sitters on big occasions was a rare event and Lukaku missing sitters is the norm.
Don't patronise me child, of course I know who he was and I saw him play. You missed my point completely, and went away with the fairies.

GifLord

Better at GIFs than posts
Don't patronise me child, of course I know who he was and I saw him play. You missed my point completely, and went away with the fairies.
Injured or not a half fit prolific striker would score at least one of his chances. I hope the masses finally realize that he's nothing more than a flat track bully.

As for the being unfit excuse. He was literally missing the same chances under Conte when he was supposedly in top form.

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
If he’s half fit he shouldn’t have been picked, I don’t get why any manager would opt for a player with no sharpness in a competition where you can be out after 90 minutes. :lol:

I do feel a bit bad for him, maybe I’m soft.
We're talking about Martinez here. The butt of all managerial jokes

Joel Miller

I think he gets too hard of a time on here sometimes but it’s obviously hard to defend him after that cameo against Croatia :lol:

2 sitters and a 3rd chance where he was asleep at the wheel and just didn’t anticipate the ball coming to him. Comically bad.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
I think he gets too hard of a time on here sometimes but it’s obviously hard to defend him after that cameo against Croatia :lol:

2 sitters and a 3rd chance where he was asleep at the wheel and just didn’t anticipate the ball coming to him. Comically bad.
Tbf it was actually an improvement on his usual big game performances, usually he doesn't even get the chances :lol:

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Truly the anti-Drogba, who he was often compared to as young.
It was always a lazy comparison.

Even if we factor out their mentality differences they are both completely different in terms of style.

Lukaku shares more in common with Torres than he does Drogba.

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
It was always a lazy comparison.

Even if we factor out their mentality differences they are both completely different in terms of style.

Lukaku shares more in common with Torres than he does Drogba.
Torres at one point was the 2nd best striker in the world behind David Villa.

Lukakus never even been the best striker in his respective league let alone the world. He may have turned shit, but put some respect on Fernando's name.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Torres at one point was the 2nd best striker in the world behind David Villa.

Lukakus never even been the best striker in his respective league let alone the world. He may have turned shit, but put some respect on Fernando's name.
I'm talking more in terms of stylistical play, at which level they were doing it is irrelevant in that context.

Disagree he was 2nd best in the world though. Eto'o, Drogba and Rooney were all better than him aswell.

GifLord

Better at GIFs than posts
I'm talking more in terms of stylistical play, at which level they were doing it is irrelevant in that context.

Disagree he was 2nd best in the world though. Eto'o, Drogba and Rooney were all better than him aswell.
07-09 he was probably a top 5 if not top 3 striker in the world
Ballon'dor 3rd in 2008, 2 times in a row in the EPL TOTY, FIFA World 11 2008 and 2009, UEFA team of the year 2008.
He was carrying pool at times

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
07-09 he was probably a top 5 if not top 3 striker in the world
Ballon'dor 3rd in 2008, 2 times in a row in the EPL TOTY, FIFA World 11 2008 and 2009, UEFA team of the year 2008.
He was carrying pool at times
His main strengths in my opinion was his insane acceleration and his strength (which went massively under the radar, I still remember well that goal when he knocked Rio out of the way like he was a feather). How many of Torres' goals came by him knocking the ball slightly ahead then using his acceleration to get the advantage on the defender? It felt like around 2/3rds.

I felt technically he was pretty limited in comparison to those I mentioned in the previous post, hence why they all could still impact games when their athletic features declined while Torres turned into one of the worst strikers in the league, he had to start getting by with his pure technical and tactical level which just simply wasn't up to scratch (the latter was the most infuriating thing when he was with us, his movement was absolutely appalling).

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC

Don't even think their styles are the same though?

07-10, he was better than all 3 of the strikers you listed.

Kag

Never has a chip been greater than the one that remains cemented to Romelu Lukaku’s shoulder.