Romelu Lukaku | Mourinho Part III | Roma watch

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
I don’t think he is unlikeable. Isn’t it just bitter United fans that deem him unlikeable? Is he disliked outside that context?

His long heart to hearts with defeated opponents is a bit cringe but obviously comes from a good place.
Why would united fans be bitter about him? Good riddance and glad he’s gone

His balance is generally poor outside of when he has to strike the ball. It makes no sense.
He's just an all round average footballer outside of his ball striking ability. He needs his defender to back off him or make a mistake so he can get the space to take a shot. He doesn't have the movement or agility to find it himself.

Average defenders will always give him that bit of space he needs but even at their age Chiellini and Bonucci know better.

Jaxa

"When people talk about Lewandowski, Benzema, Suarez, Kane, they say it's a world-class level. "With me, it was always about 'good form'... I belong with that group."

Hmm ... I.m sorry but Lewa, Benz, Suarez etc are burying most of those chances he fluffed yesterday, Lukaku buys into his own hype more than anyone else, a great footballer which i don't think anyone really doubts but world class ? Not for me, he has great strength, fast, gets into the right areas but in terms of technical ability he is nowhere close to the above names who I would deem all world class

Oranges038

It's a bit of a shame that Lukaku is so unlikeable because when you look at his striking technique, he is one of the best of the last 20 years. Of course he misses sometimes but Lukaku has the rare ability to strike the ball cleanly in very awkward positions, when it comes to the striking phase his balance is exceptional.
Aside from the bit about misses none of that is true.

El Jefe

I don’t think he is unlikeable. Isn’t it just bitter United fans that deem him unlikeable? Is he disliked outside that context?

His long heart to hearts with defeated opponents is a bit cringe but obviously comes from a good place.
I defend him a lot on here but tbf he is unlikeable, Chelsea fans never really warmed to him, even Everton fans for all he did for them still never loved him as much as they would for another player who scored as much for them. Then as you know, United fans can't stand him.

He's a weird guy because in interviews when he talks about things outside of football he comes across as likeable, humble and respectful but once the topic is football he can be full of himself and give off the impression that he's far better than what he thinks he is. On the pitch, he is no doubt infuriating due to his erratic touch, finger pointing and boneheaded plays.

Its funny because I absolutely hated him here but since he's left I've been rooting for him because it's clear there's a chip on his shoulder from his failed stints at big clubs. He's a good guy at heart but when it comes to football he's one of those players who'd be better off avoiding the media and social media.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Great defensive cover. Hence why the Italians celebrated with Spinazzola.
Should have buried it however, but wasn't the worst miss in this tournament,

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
It's a bad miss but he was stretching and let's not pretend other CFs don't miss chances. Ronaldo even missed a sitter in the first game from a cross from Bruno (I think). Sometimes when a ball is played in fast even the best can miss. People are overly harsh. Lukaku had a very good tournament.

NotThatSoph

It's a bad miss but he was stretching and let's not pretend other CFs don't miss chances. Ronaldo even missed a sitter in the first game from a cross from Bruno (I think). Sometimes when a ball is played in fast even the best can miss. People are overly harsh. Lukaku had a very good tournament.
Lewandowski also missed better chances this tournament, and he's one of the best strikers in the history of the game. It was great defending by the Italian, shame he can't play the rest of the tournament due to injury.

I also enjoyed people whining about his shushing. Shushing people or doing that talking motion with your hand is an extremely common thing to do after a goal if someone has been talking, but now it's suddenly small-time. This thread never fails to deliver the hot takes.

Cloud7

Just yesterday someone was saying he should win the ballon d'or.
After the 2018 World Cup someone on here said they thought Lukaku was the best player at the World Cup. He’s always had some strangely manic fans on here.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
How are there 183 pages in this thread :lol:...

He did OK yesterday, Belgium as a team weren't good enough. As a player he's come along way since he was unceremoniously shipped out of Chelsea after missing super cup penalty v Bayern.

Lewandowski also missed better chances this tournament, and he's one of the best strikers in the history of the game. It was great defending by the Italian, shame he can't play the rest of the tournament due to injury.

I also enjoyed people whining about his shushing. Shushing people or doing that talking motion with your hand is an extremely common thing to do after a goal if someone has been talking, but now it's suddenly small-time. This thread never fails to deliver the hot takes.
I’ve never seen a striker do it at a GK after a pen.

most players would be grabbing the ball and getting it back to the centre circle at 2-1, not thinking about their fragile ego. Small time.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
Vast majority of United fans didn’t dislike Becks, Forlan, Ruud, Ronaldo, etc. after they left. They mostly still wanted them to do well. It‘s just that Lukaku isn’t as good as he thinks he is. Plus is moaning, pointing, playing the victim’s card and unprofessional behaviour do make him extremely unlikeable.

cyberman

most players would be grabbing the ball and getting it back to the centre circle at 2-1, not thinking about their fragile ego. Small time.
Plus sticking it down the middle is a cowardly penalty anyway. Its proves nothing

arthurka

Vast majority of United fans didn’t dislike Becks, Forlan, Ruud, Ronaldo, etc. after they left. They mostly still wanted them to do well. It‘s just that Lukaku isn’t as good as he thinks he is. Plus is moaning, pointing, playing the victim’s card and unprofessional behaviour do make him extremely unlikeable.
Nail, head..

NotThatSoph

One of the funnies comments on Redcafe:

I don’t think that’s the case. I’m a massive critic of Lukaku - but only of his time at United. What he does afterwards, good or bad - I’m not interested in. But I will absolutely criticise his time with us. He was an appalling professional and deserves to be called out for it.

DJ Jeff

Not so Jazzy
Soaring like a candy wrapper caught in an updraft
Plus sticking it down the middle is a cowardly penalty anyway. Its proves nothing
All true. He's a pain and he never stops finding things to be aggrieved at. I remember his great start here, then he scored at Stoke after having about 10 in his first 9 games and celebrates standing still with a sour look on his face as if to say "feck you critics". Which was odd because next to nobody had been criticising him at the time. Odd fella.

Tony247

In this era of rare center forwards someone like Lukaku can make killing in terms of money and fame. For me he is worse than Adebayor, who was no less of a cnt. I followed Lukau in his Chelsea days and when he signed for united I was bit skeptical due to his ego, narcissism and loudmouth personality. Not that those attribute are bad but your on-field performance should compensate your attitude. It suits Keano but not someone so mediocre like Lukaku.

When Cavani was announced I wasn't sure if he can fill the shoes of all those united legandary strikers. But boy what a breeze of fresh air Cavani has been. Cavani is everything that we expected Lukaku to be, which he turned out as poor man's Adebayor.

arnie_ni

Great defensive cover. Hence why the Italians celebrated with Spinazzola.
Should have buried it however, but wasn't the worst miss in this tournament,
It's a shocking miss. If that's on his left foot he buries that. He virtually just let it hit his right leg, no conviction at all.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!

It’s his bumbling about and awkward falling I find funny, yes other strikers missed chances but I’ve never seen lewa or Suarez or who ever else he thinks he should be in the same bracket as falling about like that

NotThatSoph

It’s his bumbling about and awkward falling I find funny, yes other strikers missed chances but I’ve never seen lewa or Suarez or who ever else he thinks he should be in the same bracket as falling about like that
I agree, he often looks clumsy and funny. It's still a reasonably difficult chance, and harder than some better strikers like Lewa missed, even if this looked funnier.

He's got a great shot, I don't think you can deny that. He scuffs a lot of first touch shots and passes due to not actually being a very good footballer, but when he catches one he really gets it right, and the way he hits it means when he does scuff if it also goes roughly in the direction he intended it to.

Tony247

Well, when a player publicly compares himself with the legends and demands respect then people are going to pick on his mistakes and banter. He would have been much forgivable character had he shown better attitude throughout his career than talking nonsense.

Jose became laughing stock after his 'respect' presser, and Jose had splendid career to back his rants.

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
Let’s be fair to Lukaku….he is fundamentally unlikable due to being a whining egotist. But he’s spent his whole career being extremely successful whilst getting panned for his technique more than any top player. It must give you a bit of a complex

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies

No. Yes.

He's quite an unpopular figure in the wider footballing world. A lot to do with the way he portrays himself in interviews from what I gather.

Oranges038

He's got a great shot, I don't think you can deny that. He scuffs a lot of first touch shots and passes due to not actually being a very good footballer, but when he catches one he really gets it right, and the way he hits it means when he does scuff if it also goes roughly in the direction he intended it to.
When any player catches one properly they really get it right, doesn't mean they all have great ball striking technique.

He fails to connect cleanly a lot of the time, which would suggest that his technique isn't the best. Great technique is not hitting the odd one right and scuffing the rest and it going roughly in the right direction.

I don't really agree with that because he mainly scuffs passes and shots due to his terrible first touch.
There's the excuse.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
When any player catches one properly they really get it right, doesn't mean they all have great ball striking technique.

He fails to connect cleanly a lot of the time, which would suggest that his technique isn't the best. Great technique is not hitting the odd one right and scuffing the rest and it going roughly in the right direction.

There's the excuse.
What excuse? You do realize that I don't like Lukaku and have no reason to make "excuses" for him, I'm not even sure about what is supposed to be excused.

redshaw

In one of the previous matches on UK TV the commentator was singling out Lukaku and KDB for being world class, not sure what the rest of Europe say about him or in Italy so don't be too down on yourself Rom.

Ramshock

CAF Pilib De Brún Translator
Swimming against a tide of idiots and spoofers

If what was said about how he left United was true then I can understand the bitterness. I went from defending him daily to thinking "you know what feck him" after It was leaked out he threatened to hurt players in training if he didnt get to leave.

Oranges038

What excuse? You do realize that I don't like Lukaku and have no reason to make "excuses" for him, I'm not even sure about what is supposed to be excused.
You say he has great ball striking technique, but it's pointed out to you that he actually doesn't because he scuffs way too many passes and shots for this to be true. You then blame his scuffed shots and passes on his poor first touch.

You're either making excuses for yourself or him.

acnumber9

Everton fans couldn’t stand him either.