Romelu Lukaku | Mourinho Part III | Roma watch

Infra-red

No. Yes.

He's quite an unpopular figure in the wider footballing world. A lot to do with the way he portrays himself in interviews from what I gather.
I generally think he comes across quite well in interviews. Intelligent, affable guy, who seems to think clearly about his game.

I don't really enjoy watching him as a player, though, as he's essentially a goal poacher (and not one with much finesse), but you have to say he is pretty effective, borne out by 251 career goals to date.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
You say he has great ball striking technique, but it's pointed out to you that he actually doesn't because he scuffs way too many passes and shots for this to be true. You then blame his scuffed shots and passes on his poor first touch.

You're either making excuses for yourself or him.
Or we simply disagree? And it's not as if I made a big deal out of it, yet you are somehow taking it personally. :lol:

I generally think he comes across quite well in interviews. Intelligent, affable guy, who seems to think clearly about his game.

I don't really enjoy watching him as a player, though, as he's essentially a goal poacher (and not one with much finesse), but you have to say he is pretty effective, borne out by 251 career goals to date.
he’s clearly an intelligent man, and speaks multiple languages. He’s obviously very weak mentally.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
Why is that when United fans don’t care for him and laugh at his bumbling about it’s assumed it’s because they may be bitter but I can’t think of any other player who has left who has been universally disliked, apart from tevez. Maybe it’s something to do with the player himself more than the fans.

Infra-red

he’s clearly an intelligent man, and speaks multiple languages. He’s obviously very weak mentally.
I think that's harsh. United was his second chance (in a sport that doesn't give out many of them) at a really big club after things didn't work out for him at Chelsea. When it went south for him too in Manchester, that could have been enough to properly rattle lesser players and put them on some sort of downward career trajectory. Instead, he pulled himself together, moved to Italy, and scored 64 goals in 95 games (winning Serie A along the way). He's no Roy Keane, but I think he has a bit more about him than some people give him credit for.

MiceOnMeth

I think that's harsh. United was his second chance (in a sport that doesn't give out many of them) at a really big club after things didn't work out for him at Chelsea. When it went south for him too in Manchester, that could have been enough to properly rattle lesser players and put them on some sort of downward career trajectory. Instead, he pulled himself together, moved to Italy, and scored 64 goals in 95 games (winning Serie A along the way). He's no Roy Keane, but I think he has a bit more about him than some people give him credit for.
A lot of people would consider Inter and Italy quite a step down from the premier League and Manchester United.

Infra-red

A lot of people would consider Inter and Italy quite a step down from the premier League and Manchester United.
Well, he scored 129 goals in England, too, including 15+ goals in seven consecutive seasons (neither Drogba nor Van Persie ever managed that).

cyberman

No white text?

:lol:He scored his penalty at a tournament where loads are being missed and he still gets criticised for it in this thread.
Hes putting his finger to his lips like he did something and it put the keeper in his place. He literally took the bottlers penalty. Well done on scoring but its not a pen that allowed him to act like that.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Hes putting his finger to his lips like he did something and it put the keeper in his place.
The goalie was mouthing off to him as he was waiting to take it. Giving a bit of shit back to a goalie after you score is standard practice.

You're really reaching for stuff to criticise him for in this instance.

UncleBob

He's a weird one. In his second season, when there was criticism of his size and the form he was in, he laughed it off in an interview and referred to it as bs. His bad form continued, and he started talking about bulking up for the sake of the world cup and that it effected his form in the premier league, but now he's slimming down. The following summer, he posted the internal tests on social media after stories about his fitness, which he then had to delete. In italy, he's been quick to post videos on social media when he's being mocked for something, not to mention Inter doing it at times. I'm not sure how many variations he's told about why he left Manchester United and how it happened. He likes to talk, and he's talked a lot since moving to Italy. All this talk about not being recognized as one of the worlds top strikers, like Lewa etc.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
He's a weird one. In his second season, when there was criticism of his size and the form he was in, he laughed it off in an interview and referred to it as bs. His bad form continued, and he started talking about bulking up for the sake of the world cup and that it effected his form in the premier league, but now he's slimming down. The following summer, he posted the internal tests on social media after stories about his fitness, which he then had to delete. In italy, he's been quick to post videos on social media when he's being mocked for something, not to mention Inter doing it at times. I'm not sure how many variations he's told about why he left Manchester United and how it happened. He likes to talk, and he's talked a lot since moving to Italy. All this talk about not being recognized as one of the worlds top strikers, like Lewa etc.
I think you missed the weirdest story. He said that he bulked up for the world cup but when he moved to Italy, he praised Inter for sending him to a nutritionist because his digestive system had stopped to work.

cyberman

The goalie was mouthing off to him as he was waiting to take it. Giving a bit of shit back to a goalie after you score is standard practice.

Theyve had history i think? Itd just Lukaku, he will make a show of anything.

happens with most penalties. A goalkeeper trying to put off a striker and get in their heads is perfectly normal.

I think you missed the weirdest story. He said that he bulked up for the world cup but when he moved to Italy, he praised Inter for sending him to a nutritionist because his digestive system had stopped to work.
Because it was clogged up with a Greggs sausage roll. His fitness was all on him - no surprise he came out with a story to blame United after he had left. It couldn’t be his fault…

UncleBob

Yes, while he also kept going on about how he knows his body and he drinks a lot of water + eats fish. He's a weird one

Spoony

The People's President
When I see him play I always think he could be a lot better. He's got some great attributes but he doesn't push himself. Good player one but who should be great.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Hes putting his finger to his lips like he did something and it put the keeper in his place. He literally took the bottlers penalty. Well done on scoring but its not a pen that allowed him to act like that.
It's very common thing that happens in the game. GK talks shit to put off penalty taker, when the player scores he gives it back.

Bottlers penalty is a new one. Now you are clutching, there is no need to as Lukaku has poor game, no need to invent stuff to have a go at him.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
When I see him play I always think he could be a lot better. He's got some great attributes but he doesn't push himself. Good player one but who should be great.
Is he going to get that much better? He's 28, we're arguably seeing him at his peak and I don't know if he's got the attributes to play in deeper positions.

Will be interesting to see if he's still playing for a big club at 34.

Spoony

The People's President
Is he going to get that much better? He's 28, we're arguably seeing him at his peak and I don't know if he's got the attributes to play in deeper positions.

Probably not because he doesn't have Keane's or Cristiano's desire. Shame really. He should've been a Vieri or a Drogba. He's soft.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Probably not because he doesn't have Keane's or Cristiano's desire. Shame really. He should've been a Vieri or a Drogba. He's soft.
There's the theory that he was so big in his formative years that he could just out muscle everyone and thus never developed his technical skills. It makes sense.

Haaland was the opposite, quite a small lad who developed his technique then had a growth spurt.

Spoony

The People's President
There's the theory that he was so big in his formative years that he could just out muscle everyone and thus never developed his technical skills. It makes sense.

Haaland was the opposite, quite a small lad who developed his technique then had a growth spurt.

My brother saw him at Brussels airport, Lukaku was with his mum... apparently he was getting a good bollocking the poor guy was gutted and had his head down. This doesn't say anything but you could be right,that said he's not that bad technically especially facing goal, he's ropey with his back against goal though. But yeah perhaps his size and strength stopped him developing other skills. It's annoying because he really ought to a stand out striker. The fanny.

Paul_Scholes18

I think this is probably his peak years. He might win next world cup or another big tournament, but this was probably his best chance and last world cup.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
It's a shocking miss. If that's on his left foot he buries that. He virtually just let it hit his right leg, no conviction at all.
It wasn't a miss...
The defender blocked it.
It was on target, doesn't take away from the fact he should have scored, but it really wasn't a shocking miss.

AmanNits04

Yesterday, even when Belgium were losing, he had urgency and no pressing. He just doesn't press at all, just jogs a little. I mean, he is a striker of one of the best teams, club and country but he just doesn't press. It's very weird

arnie_ni

It wasn't a miss...
The defender blocked it.
It was on target, doesn't take away from the fact he should have scored, but it really wasn't a shocking miss.
The defender knew very little about it. He tried to cut the cross and lukaku hit it into him.

If that was rashford or martial in the qtr final of the CL we'd be fuming.

It's a sitter.

arnie_ni

Yesterday, even when Belgium were losing, he had urgency and no pressing. He just doesn't press at all, just jogs a little. I mean, he is a striker of one of the best teams, club and country but he just doesn't press. It's very weird
Neither did KDB. Did you see Italy second goal? One of the CBs just walked passed him with the ball at their feet and he just watched him.

Zen86

I couldn’t really care less about Lukaku, I hold no grudges about his time here. I do find him particularly unlikable though and he comes across as overly sensitive and even a bit entitled. Almost like he expects to be showered with praise without fail.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
Lukkaku has a great goals to game ratio, but compare his ability to deliver when it matters its nothing compared to Didier

cyberman

It's very common thing that happens in the game. GK talks shit to put off penalty taker, when the player scores he gives it back.

Bottlers penalty is a new one. Now you are clutching, there is no need to as Lukaku has poor game, no need to invent stuff to have a go at him.
Its always been known as a bottlers pen where I come from! If youre not sure or confident you stick it down the middle with power.