Romelu Lukaku | Mourinho Part III | Roma watch

mariachi-19

I may be the devil, but i'm not a monster
Right on then, so you’re telling me he was actually even more than just overweight. Muscle is heavier than fat and is a lot easier to lose than fat.

You’re not ‘ripped’ when you come out and say you’re overweight. You’re not ‘ripped’ when you can’t get your body to move fast enough for a first touch. You’re not ‘ripped’ when the first thing a club does when it signs you is put you on a salad diet
Stop talking, you don’t have a clue.

mariachi-19

I may be the devil, but i'm not a monster
The bolded part you highlighted isn’t wrong, at least the muscle being heavier part. The part about being easier to lose muscle than fat is too general and needs context, but if I had to lean one way I’d agree.
He is half right, but muscle is not easier to lose when you are a professional athlete. It also entirely depends on your diet and exercise output.

This forum needs to stop associating performance of professional athletes against ordinary individuals because it is a completely different ball game.

KennyBurner

Ive suddenly becoming an inter milan fan after helping us get rid of Lukaku. Still I dont understand why there is so much interest from the Italian league for him. Do Juventus/Intermilan think he is going to perform in the Champions League or are they satisfied with him bullying the Bottom 10 teams?

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Stop talking, you don’t have a clue.
Not quite sure what offended you there. It is a generalized statement that covers both the average and athletic population. For the athletic population the only difference is the training regimen has to be adjusted.

However what remains constant across any human being: caloric deficit + increased cardio. That’s step one, and then from there you have all the randomized control studies trying multiple variations of exercise programs to maximize lean mass preservation while decreasing fat mass. Your genetics in combination with your training program from there will determine the ratio loss of muscle/fat. However once again, step one is a caloric deficit + increased cardio and that has nothing to do with your genetics/exercise program and 100% to do with your professionalism and determination. Two things Lukaku clearly lacked while he was with us in the last year or so.

Curious - why do you think Lukaku hasn’t dropped the excess weight that he has complained about?

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
What a fecking twat. So arrogant, yet so shite. Worst (starting) United number 9 of the last 30 years. So glad he has gone.

ATXRedDevil

He is half right, but muscle is not easier to lose when you are a professional athlete. It also entirely depends on your diet and exercise output.

This forum needs to stop associating performance of professional athletes against ordinary individuals because it is a completely different ball game.
That’s why I mentioned context and said it was a generalized statement. If you’re sedentary, it’s going to be a lot easier to lose the muscle relative to fat than if you’re involved in regular athletic activity (even if it is aerobic vs anaerobic).

That said, it’s still ridiculous that a professional athlete intentionally packed on too much muscle to the point it hurt his endurance and burst for a season. At this stage of his career, he should know his body better.

I’m still not sure why it made sense to bulk up for the World Cup (which he said was intentional). Never really understood that logic.

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
To be fair he averaged 0.48 goals per game at Everton and 0.42 at United. From a statistical standpoint he did his job and gave United the ability that they paid for aside from his 12 match drought with Mourinho leading up to his sacking...He did start last season flying though before it went down hill. Ole pretty much froze him out when he arrived but we forget he was on a hat trick against PSG and he let Rashford take the pen at the last minute.

I feel for him a bit because from a United fans perspective I think he's been a bit hard done by because of the lack of success in results.
Its not just the goal droughts and his awful first touch. What turned fans against him was his dreadful fitness levels, his apparent lack of effort and as it turns out, hes an unprofessional sulking twat

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout

I don’t think most are out of this world athletes at an unattainable level to ‘regular people’. There are lots of very fit people out there as I’m sure you know, and plenty that are far fitter than footballers.

Ole’s Wheel

Supports
CR7

The thing is, his gesturing makes it look like that is what was legitimately said

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
He was always a true pro for us and worked his ass off every game. Didn't work out, but all the best to him. Great mentality, limited footballer.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Great argument. You've convinced me. :rolleyes:

His attitude and workrate was never the problem. It was his ability and fitness that was. He'd run his socks off til he gassed out.
His attitude, work rate, technical ability was all issues for ManUtd. His distance covered was among the lowest, his sprints per game was among the lowest for attackers.

I don’t think most are out of this world athletes at an unattainable level to ‘regular people’. There are lots of very fit people out there as I’m sure you know, and plenty that are far fitter than footballers.
Depends what you mean by fitness. If you mean the ability to perform 10km worth of multi directional sprints, footballers are at the absolute cutting edge of human performance. You could probably say with some confidence there is nobody out there who is fitter than a modern PL footballer and not also a professional athlete of some type.

DoomSlayer

His attitude and workrate was never the problem. It was his ability and fitness that was. He'd run his socks off til he gassed out.
There is no need for arguments, when all the stats show the reality that aligns to what fans have seen with their own eyes. Being gassed after a 25m sprint is embarrassing for a top football player, getting payed £200k+ a week.

Djemba-Djemba

Erm yes it was.

I mean his ability was a big issue too, but his terrible fitness levels meant his workrate was poor. He was gassed out by about half time every game. As has been said before, he looked on the verge of a heart attack after one long run against Chelsea last season and seemed to spend the rest of the game recovering from it.

And in his last few days at the club he leaked confidential information on twitter and was fined for not turning up for training by all accounts. That sounds like a poor attitude to me.

Stepney73

I can't beleive what we paid for him.

I can't beleive we sold him for.

I'm just glad that useless lump is now somone else's problem.

romufc

Lukaku was singed because he scored 20+ goals for Everton, where he had decent hold up play.

But ever since he singed for United, he probably thought he made it and doesnt have to try anymore. I don't think he is a player with the same hunger as some of the players we have now.

Tbf he has received alot of criticism but it isn't all unjust because when you pay £75m and £190k wages you should be able to do basics right.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Lukaku was singed because he scored 20+ goals for Everton, where he had decent hold up play.

But ever since he singed for United, he probably thought he made it and doesnt have to try anymore. I don't think he is a player with the same hunger as some of the players we have now.

Tbf he has received alot of criticism but it isn't all unjust because when you pay £75m and £190k wages you should be able to do basics right.
Lukaku never had decent hold up play, he was a counter attack player and a poacher.

Phil Osophy

I agree with this, but the problem is that he was done after 30 minutes at times.

Gaining weight for the world cup affected his game negatively, he lost stamina, agility and his technical flaws were accentuated. My question is why he didn't fix that problem during the season, because for me he looked equally bad at the start and at the end of it.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I agree with this, but the problem is that he was done after 30 minutes at times.

Gaining weight for the world cup affected his game negatively, he lost stamina, agility and his technical flaws were accentuated. My question is why he didn't fix that problem during the season, because for me he looked equally bad at the start and at the end of it.
I agree. What everyone except you don't seem to realise is, I was saying wasn't lazy, he was just gassing out. He would work his ass off for 30-35 minutes and then be dead. That isn't having a low work ethic, it's just being unfit. There is a difference.

I think he got some awful advice from both the Belgian and our own fitness coaches. His weight should have never gotten that high.

He was always a true pro for us and worked his ass off every game. Didn't work out, but all the best to him. Great mentality, limited footballer.
As others have said - no. He’s an unprofessional as Di Maria was.

But ever since he singed for United, he probably thought he made it and doesnt have to try anymore. I don't think he is a player with the same hunger as some of the players we have now
It’s exactly this - he lost any desire to improve, keep fit and quite frankly be a professional footballer. It’s happened lots of times, he believes he’s made it and he stops everything that led him to get there - it simply won’t wash at Man Utd.

He certaintly didn’t go hungry though, the Greggs in Manchester has made 5 of their staff redundant since he’s moved on... :D

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.
Being unfit whilst being paid 6 figures a week to be at the peak of human fitness is unprofessional.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Being unfit whilst being paid 6 figures a week to be at the peak of human fitness is unprofessional.
To be fair the whole squad was unfit, although granted his situation was extreme. It shows that the problem was somewhat systemic

Seij

I agree. What everyone except you don't seem to realise is, I was saying wasn't lazy, he was just gassing out. He would work his ass off for 30-35 minutes and then be dead. That isn't having a low work ethic, it's just being unfit. There is a difference.

I think he got some awful advice from both the Belgian and our own fitness coaches. His weight should have never gotten that high.
If he couldn't even keep himself fit enough that he's huffing and puffing with hands on hips after half an hour, then I'd call that a very low work ethic. Work ethic shouldn't be just about what a player does during the games.

He'll probably score a decent number of goals against teams Inter dominate. Maybe Conte will get him to lose a couple stones.