Romelu Lukaku | Mourinho Part III | Roma watch

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
Yesterday game is perfect example of why Rashford shouldnt be compared to Lukaku.

Vs big clubs he scores, assists, creates chances, takes on defenders to unsettle the line, wins penalties taking on defenders on his own.

Ignoring all that and then just compare his goals per game when he was playing as winger for majority of the time and also as a sub is just awful argument.

Just take last season as example
Vs Chelsea, he scored goal from open play and also penalty which he won out of nothing.
Vs Leicester, he scored the pen which he won
Vs Liverpool, he scored goal from open play
Vs Spurs, he scored goal from open play and also penalty which he won out of nothing taking on multiple defenders
Vs City, he scored penalty which he won taking on multiple defenders.
Vs Chelsea in league cup, he scored penalty and also from freekick from around 30-35 yards
Vs City in league cup, he scored from open play

And he did most of these things without Pogba who was out for 3/4th of the season and before Bruno was signed. Even Martial was injured for few of the games, so he was playing alongside Lingard, Pereira, James.

'Ignoring penalties' is a very poor argument, he wins lot of penalties. So he plays big role in the outcome of the game.
This.

Compare this to Lukaku doing feck all in the league in the Jose days. Worse thing was, he was the teacher's pet, stayed in the lineup no matter how crappy he was playing and had the cheek to call out for his team mates to "man up."

Didn't even follow his own advice. The minute he wasn't the favourite once Ole took over, he wanted to leave. :lol:

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Reading the last few pages you'd think he wasn't the starting striker performing very well for a team challenging for the title in a premier European league.

Oh well.

MalcolmTucker

Reading the last few pages you'd think he wasn't the starting striker performing very well for a team challenging for the title in a premier European league.

Oh well.
Reading the last few pages of the Inter Forum you'd think that too;

Instead of screaming at his teammates when it's improssible to receive the ball, he should wake the feck up. 1 goal in the last 6 league games. Terrible.
Was he playing tonight?
Lukaku has shit movement compared to Icardi who sets the highest standard in this spec. Meh, you gain some you lose some.
fecking useless log, as per usual.
Yeah that Lukaku run was total garbage... it's just poor fundamentals in moments that could win us games. He can score goals, but there are times where he looks completely incapable.
That Hakimi shot chance was so infuriating. Like, what the feck Lukaku expects his team mates to do? Fire the ball through the defenders' legs to him? And this is complete normal, he does this every fecking match, every fecking match.

His movement inside the box is appalling. He just runs there, without worry of the defenders and then somehow expects that the ballcarrier magically delivers the ball to his feet, wherever he decides to run.
If I were Lukaku I would look back at my performances in big games and then proceed to shut the feck up forever. I said back in december that this coddling of Lukaku was nonsense. Someone is bound to have enough one of these days
If Conte leaves and good offer comes we should take the money and run with it. This guy looks as good as he may right now because Conte puts him as the centre of everything, once Conte is gone he will back to his good ol man utd self.
If he brings the same fee we bought him for or more I would sell him, only because I attribute his good performances to Conte and I don't see the Italian hanging here for a long time. I won't bet on him to keep the same level or more with a different coach who most probably won't base world peace around him.
Honestly, cannot see a reason to keep him [obviously talking about the end of the season and not during this one] if his value is considered to be high enough. Cash it in. If it also gives an excuse for Conte to feck off, good job!

All this talk about him "carrying" us is utter nonsense. He's carried us to an EL final loss having almost nothing to do with us being in that place in the first place (aside from the Leverkusen game and that blooper Ludogorets goal for the laughs), two CL eliminations by not showing up in the bigger games, and ironically most fans are the happiest about our performance in the toughest possible games (away to Real and Barcelona) when he wasn't even around! Yes, he scores a lot, but he's not really the reason we do so. His % per the team total is not that high.
I had a feeling that he knows he is being ridiculous, like blaming the others for not getting the ball after his awful passes, not pressing and point to others to press.... the list goes on, but all for covering his shitiness like a kindergarten kid mentality, yelling out loud "Holy Crap! It is stinky, who farted?", obviously after he farted.
Oh well

Reactions: Crackers

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
It would be one, if the same didn't apply to our own Martial and Rashford. I could easily paint the same picture. But regarding Lukaku, the term "rent free" comes to mind.
:lol:

People have problem with posters talking about Lukaku in Lukaku thread. Shocking.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
:lol:

People have problem with posters talking about Lukaku in Lukaku thread. Shocking.
It's almost as shocking as people having discussions about Mourinho in the Mourinho thread too :eek:

I'm actually starting to wonder where players and managers actually are allowed to be discussed?

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
It's almost as shocking as people having discussions about Mourinho in the Mourinho thread too :eek:

I'm actually starting to wonder where players and managers actually are allowed to be discussed?
Yeah, maybe we have to post about Lukaku in Martial thread, shitting on how poor Martial is and how great Lukaku is.

Reapersoul20

Can Anderson score? No.
If you were offered Lukaku for 30M now, would you take him? No resale allowed.

I certainly wouldn't.

IrishBlue1

Supports
Everton
As an Everton fan Lukaku is a bit of an enigma in that his goal scoring stats are impressive and difficult to argue against. Basically 1 in 2 in club football and 2 in 3 in international football.

However you need to build your entire team around him and his play. He doesnt or cant turn up in big games and is easily countered by the good teams. I knew it would go the way it did at Man Utd. The big teams cant build their team around one lumbering player. It doesnt work.

He's a mouth too. Every single international break he talked about leaving and moving on to bigger clubs. He still hasnt won a bean. Highest honour is still the Belgian league when he was 17.

Still has a hell of a shot and finish on him.

Reactions: VeevaVee

MalcolmTucker

It would be one, if the same didn't apply to our own Martial and Rashford. I could easily paint the same picture. But regarding Lukaku, the term "rent free" comes to mind.
Right, let's compare the last couple of pages of the Rashford thread then;

That little flick he did over TAA after he managed to control the flight of a difficult ball :drool: It was fecking awesome
He's a big game player. How many goals has he scored against top 6 teams?

Also, I don't wanna see him on the right again. He's a left winger, leave him there for the full 90 minutes
De Bruyne-esq that pass. Needs more respect, yo.
Monstrous today. Liverpool defenders will have nightmares.
Liverpool couldn’t handle him today. Him and Mason picked them apart for Bruno to pick them off.
it’s becoming ever more evident that he’s up there with the best we have had at his age.

Rooney turned 23 in 08/09 and got a combined 33 goals and assists in 49 appearances (0.67 per game). Rashford turned 23 this season and has got 25 combined goals and assists so far in 31 appearances (0.81 per game). We’ve got an absolute, elite player on our hands here.
I hope he's ok, he's so dangerous for us. He reminds me of Ronaldo when squaring up to defenders, they don't know whether to commit or to back off. He's not even in great form.
Was in Diet Ronaldo mode today, brilliant! Made all the right decisions and proves yet again that he has so much in his locker.
You couldn't paint that picture of Lukaku unless it was a surreal piece :lol: No one has ever compared Lukaku's passing to De Bruyne, his dribbling to Ronaldo, saying he was a big game player or mentioned an amazing first touch - much less after playing the reigning champions in a big game. I'm sure you can find some negative posts in the last few weeks but Rashford has been playing out of position, is only 23 and is playing for Man Utd in the PL. Lukaku is in his prime, playing in a weaker Serie A and even Inter fans don't think he's good enough and are considering selling him.

As far as Martial goes, yes you could find similar posts and quite rightly, he's been hugely disappointing this season. So far, his season is analogous to Lukaku's second season with us and unless he has a dramatic turnaround, he should be relegated to a squad role or sold just like Lukaku was. That said, he's still a better fit for us, has shown a higher level than Lukaku has ever shown and despite his dreadful form, we still find ourselves top of the league with him as our primary striker.

Last edited:

adexkola

Supports
Right, let's compare the last couple of pages of the Rashford thread then;

You couldn't paint that picture of Lukaku unless it was a surreal piece :lol: No one has ever compared Lukaku's passing to De Bruyne, his dribbling to Ronaldo, saying he was a big game player or mentioned an amazing first touch - much less after playing the reigning champions in a big game. I'm sure you can find some negative posts in the last few weeks but Rashford has been playing out of position, is only 23 and is playing for Man Utd in the PL. Lukaku is in his prime, playing in a weaker Serie A and even Inter fans don't think he's good enough and are considering selling him.

As far as Martial goes, yes you could find similar posts and quite rightly, he's been hugely disappointing this season. So far, his season is analogous to Lukaku's second season with us and unless he has a dramatic turnaround, he should be relegated to a squad role or sold just like Lukaku was. That said, he's still a better fit for us, has shown a higher level than Lukaku has ever shown and despite his dreadful form, we still find ourselves top of the league with him as our primary striker.
Several points to make here

1. Well done cherry picking, I can find several posts as well especially in the lead up to yesterday's game that paints Rashford as someone our club would be best moving on from

2. My overall point isn't to pit our current strikers against Lukaku, he's moved on. My overall point (at least in my post that you hopped on) is that very few rational people would argue that the picture painted of Lukaku in the last few pages (one post says he's not a top 20 striker in Europe right now) is a true reflection of his abilities and form. Ditto for those posts you 'curated' from an Inter forum. But there's a reason he gets disproportionate amount of attention compared to some of our other ex players (some on the same team as him).

3. I recommend @Counterfactual get some kneepads.

MalcolmTucker

Several points to make here

1. Well done cherry picking, I can find several posts as well especially in the lead up to yesterday's game that paints Rashford as someone our club would be best moving on from

2. My overall point isn't to pit our current strikers against Lukaku, he's moved on. My overall point (at least in my post that you hopped on) is that very few rational people would argue that the picture painted of Lukaku in the last few pages (one post says he's not a top 20 striker in Europe right now) is a true reflection of his abilities and form. Ditto for those posts you 'curated' from an Inter forum. But there's a reason he gets disproportionate amount of attention compared to some of our other ex players (some on the same team as him).

3. I recommend @Counterfactual get some kneepads.
If we're talking about traditional strikers, I agree Lukaku is in the top 20, possibly pushing top 10, but these days there are very few quality traditional strikers around and teams play with more fluid frontlines. If we're talking about attackers who have played as a false 9 as well, then I think it's very rational to put him outside the top 20. Ultimately, your point was we are biased, but the same criticisms of Lukaku follow him no matter who he plays for, even when he is 'performing well in title challenging team in a top European league'. At some point, perhaps you should question your own rationale.

Also, what is the reason he gets disproportionate amount of attention in your eyes?

adexkola

Supports
If we're talking about traditional strikers, I agree Lukaku is in the top 20, possibly pushing top 10, but these days there are very few quality traditional strikers around and teams play with more fluid frontlines. If we're talking about attackers who have played as a false 9 as well, then I think it's very rational to put him outside the top 20. Ultimately, your point was we are biased, but the same criticisms of Lukaku follow him no matter who he plays for, even when he is 'performing well in title challenging team in a top European league'. At some point, perhaps you should question your own rationale.

Also, what is the reason he gets disproportionate amount of attention in your eyes?
I admit there is room to have difference of opinion without going to the extreme. I'm not arguing he's world class, that would be ludicrous.

Obviously his form and the way he left United left a bitter taste in the mouth of many fans. I wished him the best and am rooting for the players we have.

MalcolmTucker

I admit there is room to have difference of opinion without going to the extreme. I'm not arguing he's world class, that would be ludicrous.

Obviously his form and the way he left United left a bitter taste in the mouth of many fans. I wished him the best and am rooting for the players we have.
That's reasonable. I think with Lukaku, his strengths and weaknesses are so pronounced and lopsided that it's easy for people to overrate and (slightly) underrate him depending on what they value in a player. This, coupled with his inflated ego, makes him such a divisive figure to discuss.

theralyst

Around 13s in the vid above it looks like Ibra said something about his mother

GordonG

Lukaku should've been sent off. Aggressive and pushing alot of players around. Lucky to stay on.

Hope Ibra gets another one and celebrates in his face :lol: