Romelu Lukaku | Mourinho Part III | Roma watch

A-man

its bizarre Conte is pissing himself laughing while his striker is having a meltdown
Yes it is really bizarre, Conte more or less favouring Ibra. it’s a combo of Lukaku’s low status and Ibra’s high status in Italian football.

Halftrack

So, based on some random's lip-reading, we have decided that Zlatan said "voodoo" and thus did racism?

If he did say it, then there are definitely some worrying connotations that could spell trouble for him. But I'd say we hold off on declaring him a racist until we know for certain what was actually said.

Posh Red

So, based on some random's lip-reading, we have decided that Zlatan said "voodoo" and thus did racism?

If he did say it, then there are definitely some worrying connotations that could spell trouble for him. But I'd say we hold off on declaring him a racist until we know for certain what was actually said.
It’s not lip reading. You can pretty clearly hear it. What he means by it who knows

padr81

Supports
Man City
No we don't, can you please explain.

They were teammates, shared a dressing room and an agent (Raiola) so I'm sure they know each other very, very well

Zlatan might have referred to this, why do you assume cloak and dagger racism?
Because Moshiri's statement is clearly implying Romelu practices voodoo when his religion is RC (if I recall correctly) has that excuse ever been used for not keeping a white player. Zlatan throwing a clearly racist comment Moshiri made about Romelu at him again is absolutely opening the same can of worms. A voodoo message on a pilgrimage to Africa... c'mon you know better.

padr81

Supports
Man City
What does it mean then
Google Moshiri, Lukaku, Voodoo and its pretty easy to see. Zlatan and I said this in my op IF he brought it back up, has let himself down quite badly here even if Lukaku is a dick.

Halftrack

Can someone explain how saying "voodoo" is racist?
Voodoo is predominantly practiced by certain African peoples and among certain groups of descendants of African slaves in the Americas. Thus, telling a black person to go do "your voodoo shit" comes off as racial stereotyping and would be generally fall under the racism umbrella.
It’s not lip reading. You can pretty clearly hear it. What he means by it who knows
I can't clearly hear it. He says something that could definitely be "voodoo", but I can't get a clear read on the sound after the initial "voo/woo"

Saw an AC Milan fan claiming he was saying "go to your wooden shed" and while it made me chuckle, I doubt it was that innocent.

padr81

Supports
Man City
Voodoo is predominantly practiced by certain African peoples and among certain groups of descendants of African slaves in the Americas. Thus, telling a black person to go do "your voodoo shit" comes off as racial stereotyping and would be generally fall under the racism umbrella.

I can't clearly hear it. He says something that could definitely be "voodoo", but I can't get a clear read on the sound after the initial "voo/woo"

Saw an AC Milan fan claiming he was saying "go to your wooden shed" and while it made me chuckle, I doubt it was that innocent.
Given the Moshiri quotes on Lukaku and voodoo though its definitely not a good look for Zlatan, I agree though its not clear to me either from the video.

GordonG

Saying "voodoo" isn't racist.

Telling a black man to "go and do your voodoo shit" could easily be taken as racist.

How can it easily be taken as racism....? :lol:

The word racism has lost its true meaning which surely isn't beneficial to end unjust behaviour due to race.

With that said, Lukaku was good today. He looked dangerous and caused the Milan defence alot of issues with his movement and touches(!).

Ibra's red was soft but he fecked up. Shouldn't have been anywhere near a challenge like that on a yellow.

Can't wait to see the next Milano derby and who lifts the Serie A title in the end. Surely it's between the two Milano clubs this year; hence the heated situation today.

Judge Red

Don't Call Me Douglas
Until proven otherwise, I choose to believe Zlatan told Lukaku to ‘go to your wooden shed, you little donkey’ to mock his first touch because that’s the funniest insult.

Posh Red

I hope the wooden shed theory is correct to be honest. I’m a big fan of Zlatan.

The Mitcher

connoisseur of pot noodles and sandwiches
Until proven otherwise, I choose to believe Zlatan told Lukaku to ‘go to your wooden shed, you little donkey’ to mock his first touch because that’s the funniest insult.
Zlatan would definitely say something like that :lol:

PaulScholes99

Zlatan is such a jackass. “Voodoo shit”?

The hate for Lukaku in this thread is disgraceful by the way. :houllier:
I feel ashamed that so many people are hating Lukaku and defend Zlatan on this case. Guess i lost a lot of respect for "King Zlatan" today.

The Mitcher

Lukkaku going on about slapping him in one clip, bro, you aren't beating up a Taekwondo fighter...

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Finally got his big game goal. Don't get the obsessive hate for the guy by some posters, time to get over it.

tenpoless

This has been read as a racist phrase, but Sky Sport Italia say representatives from Milan assure Ibrahimovic denied any racist insult.

It’s believed Ibrahimovic was referencing a quote from Everton major shareholder Farhad Moshiri, who said in January 2018 that Lukaku had turned down a new contract because of a ’voodoo message.’

“We offered him a better deal than Chelsea and his agent came to Finch Farm to sign the contract," said Moshiri three years ago.

“Robert [Elstone, Everton’s chief executive] was there, everything was in place, there were a few reporters outside, then in the meeting Rom called his mother.

“He said he was on a pilgrimage in Africa or somewhere and he had a voodoo and he got the message that he needs to go to Chelsea.”

Lukaku had denied this story, and indeed ended up joining Manchester United rather than Chelsea.

The Belgium international threatened to sue Moshiri for the claim.

“Romelu’s decision had nothing to do with voodoo. He distances himself from these beliefs and this statement and will now see what judicial steps can be taken in relation to them,” a representative told BBC Sport.

“Romelu is very Catholic and voodoo is not part of his life or his beliefs. He simply had no faith in Everton and no confidence in Mr Moshiri’s project. That is why he did not want to sign on any condition. He wanted to make the next step in his career and wanted the security to be able to leave.”

source:
https://app.football-italia.net/?referrer=https://www.football-italia.net/165456/why-ibrahimovic-used-voodoo-lukaku#article/footballitalia-165456

This is a 200 IQ insult that it needs to be explained in details.

Posh Red

Zlatan is such a jackass. “Voodoo shit”?

The hate for Lukaku in this thread is disgraceful by the way. :houllier:
Lukaku is disliked by united fans because he was a bit of a dickhead. Do all the Chelsea fans have nothing but good things to say about Jose I take it? Why do you find it so surprising that he gets stick. It’s been explained a hundred times in this thread why he might get on United fans nerves.

SweDevil

Can't really see the logic behind "voodoo" comments...

Ibra calls him a donkey and in response Lukaku tells him to meet him outside which Zlatan follows up with "call your mother, you won't do shit".... that seems more logical

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
This has been read as a racist phrase, but Sky Sport Italia say representatives from Milan assure Ibrahimovic denied any racist insult.

It’s believed Ibrahimovic was referencing a quote from Everton major shareholder Farhad Moshiri, who said in January 2018 that Lukaku had turned down a new contract because of a ’voodoo message.’

“We offered him a better deal than Chelsea and his agent came to Finch Farm to sign the contract," said Moshiri three years ago.

“Robert [Elstone, Everton’s chief executive] was there, everything was in place, there were a few reporters outside, then in the meeting Rom called his mother.

“He said he was on a pilgrimage in Africa or somewhere and he had a voodoo and he got the message that he needs to go to Chelsea.”

Lukaku had denied this story, and indeed ended up joining Manchester United rather than Chelsea.

The Belgium international threatened to sue Moshiri for the claim.

“Romelu’s decision had nothing to do with voodoo. He distances himself from these beliefs and this statement and will now see what judicial steps can be taken in relation to them,” a representative told BBC Sport.

“Romelu is very Catholic and voodoo is not part of his life or his beliefs. He simply had no faith in Everton and no confidence in Mr Moshiri’s project. That is why he did not want to sign on any condition. He wanted to make the next step in his career and wanted the security to be able to leave.”

source:
https://app.football-italia.net/?referrer=https://www.football-italia.net/165456/why-ibrahimovic-used-voodoo-lukaku#article/footballitalia-165456

This is a 200 IQ insult that it needs to be explained in details.
Seems an odd defence to me given the initial comments by Moshiri were themselves clearly racially loaded untruths. "I wasn't being racist, I was just recycling someone else's racist comments" isn't the message I'd be pushing if I were Zlatan's reps.

The Mitcher

Taekwondo is a sport doesn't mean a guy can fight for shit.
It's a martial art, he definitely can.

Seems an odd defence to me given the initial comments by Moshiri were themselves clearly racially loaded untruths. "I wasn't being racist, I was just recycling someone else's racist comments" isn't the message I'd be pushing if I were Zlatan's reps.
We have no way of knowing if they were true or not. Lukakku says they were not, Moshiri says they were true. Is it still racist if it's proven to be true?

padr81

Supports
Man City

We have no way of knowing if they were true or not. Lukakku says they were not, Moshiri says they were true. Is it still racist if it's proven to be true?
I've competed for years in Kickboxing, Taekwando and Shotokan. I can fight on mats but not on the streets or a pitch, very very different things. I'd still back Zlatan vs Romelu but not because of Taekwando of all things. Its generally seen as the martial art those who don't wanna get hit do.

Do you really think there is even a remote possibility Lukaku left Everton because voodoo told him join Chelsea even though he signed for United? People here hate Lukaku and thats fine but IF Zlatan said whats alleged then he fecked up and deserves punishment. There is no way in the world its ok to insinuate a black man practices Voodoo in this day and age...

Last edited:

PaulScholes99

We have no way of knowing if they were true or not. Lukaku says they were not, Moshiri says they were true. Is it still racist if it's proven to be true?
It is true that we have no prove if it is true or not. But we know that Lukaku doesn't want to be associated with it and therefore it is racist. He doesn't want to be called and he wants to be seen (and is) a catholic.

tenpoless

Indeed it's an odd comment which means it could be true, knowing how Zlatan is he probably thinks its funny and tease Lukaku about it. Well it's not a good comment to make regardless in a bigger context. I dunno, I'll leave it to the experts.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID

Lukaku is a roman catholic from Belgium with absolutely zero known ties of any sort to voodoo. It is an entirely outlandish claim based on every known detail about his life and background. It is a well known racist stereotype though. Suggesting that he joined us because he went off to Africa and got a voodoo message is pretty clearly racially loaded given it would never be said about a white catholic from Belgium.