Romelu Lukaku | Mourinho Part III | Roma watch

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Yes I know what he says his religion is. But your basing your opinion based on his word and your political beliefs. That is not proof that it never happened.
One person has made the sort of outlandish and blatantly untrue claim that only a simpleton would believe. The other refuted that claim, a refutation that is entirely in line with everything we know about their extremely well-documented life, their background and the culture from which they come. We don't have to to take both claims as equally valid as it would be unbelievably stupid to do so. There is no burden of proof on Lukaku because both his entire personal history and basic common sense tell us that the claim is ludicrous, just as it would be if someone said Marcus Rashford was being forced to stay at Manchester United because of voodoo.

If Lukaku had been accused of being a shape-shifting lizzard, we wouldn't have proof that he wasn't either. But you wouldn't be entertaining that idea in some sort of weird defence of Zlatan, or saying that we're only taking him at his word so we can't really know. It's a ridiculous argument devoid of either logic or common sense, one that allows you to believe any slander about anyone without having to apply your brain for even half a second.

Also I have absolutely no idea what my political beliefs have to do with anything, unless not believing obvious bullshit and not making silly arguments on the internet are political positions now. In which case sign me up for that party.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
One person has made the sort of outlandish and blatantly untrue claim that only a simpleton would believe. The other refuted that claim, a refutation that is entirely in line with everything we know about their extremely well-documented life, their background and the culture from which they come. We don't have to to take both claims as equally valid as it would be unbelievably stupid to do so. There is no burden of proof on Lukaku because both his entire personal history and basic common sense tell us that the claim is ludicrous, just as it would be if someone said Marcus Rashford was being forced to stay at Manchester United because of voodoo.

If Lukaku had been accused of being a shape-shifting lizzard, we wouldn't have proof that he wasn't either. But you wouldn't be entertaining that idea in some sort of weird defence of Zlatan, or saying that we're only taking him at his word so we can't really know. It's a ridiculous argument devoid of either logic or common sense, one that allows you to believe any slander about anyone without having to apply your brain for even half a second.

Also I have absolutely no idea what my political beliefs have to do with anything, unless not believing obvious bullshit and not making silly arguments on the internet are political positions now. In which case sign me up for that party.
:lol: Great response.

KW2006

The difference is every Utd fans want to see Ibra(and Hernandez, CR, Nani, to name a few) doing good after leaving us, but most of the fans are happy to see Lukaku doing bad. So we are not always hostile towards our ex players. You have to ask why the difference.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
The difference is every Utd fans want to see Ibra(and Hernandez, CR, Nani, to name a few) doing good after leaving us, but most of the fans are happy to see Lukaku doing bad. So we are not always hostile towards our ex players. You have to ask why the difference.
Because Lukaku was shit for us and mopey.

Those other players were good/great for us.

Is it that difficult to understand?

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Tbf Lukaku was always a divisive player stylistically, his last season with us was pretty poor, he's associated with a fairly unpopular manager and some of his comments after he left were the sort to irk (even if in others he was very complimentary). So I can understand why he isn't held in universal affection.

Some of the comments and attitudes towards him here are beyond the pale though. And even while he was here people some posters were obviously over the top in their criticism of him.

MalcolmTucker

Well we got our money back and he's been very good in Italy and for other clubs. Just didnt fit us.

But I agree with you, for that kind of fee he was bad for us. Its the same with Martial though insane transfer fee at the time and best season is 15 goals and now 2.

We've had a striker problem for a long time
I assume you're talking about league goals as Martial got 23 goals last season but if we compare:

Martial got 17 league goals last season (1 goal every 155 minutes)
Lukaku got 16 league goals in his best season for us (1 goal every 179 minutes)

Can't defend Martial's record this season though :lol:

His lack of CL footy is, in his personal case, offset to an extent with the profile that comes with his international record. Scoring goals at that level has always held huge prestige, especially of it is for a glamour nation like his.
His record for Belgium needs a little context:

Batshuayi's record for Belgium is 32 games/21 goals - that's 0.65 goals per game ratio
Lukaku's record for Belgium is 89 games/57 goals - that's a 0.64 goal ratio

Batshuayi's goal per minute ratio is a goal every 69 minutes.
Lukaku's goal per minute ratio is a goal every 97 minutes.

If you only count major international tournaments:

Batshuayi - goal every 66 minutes
Lukaku - goal every 165 minutes

He's fairly rated, as a decent goalscorer with some good strengths and some glaring flaws.

Last edited:

amolbhatia50k

Lukkaku going on about slapping him in one clip, bro, you aren't beating up a Taekwondo fighter...
I learnt Taekwondo growing up (not till black belt of course). It certainly doesn't make you some super warrior or something.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
Because he was floppish and said he thought about leaving the club after his 2nd match and had a lacking attitude in his final spell here. Personally I dont particulary want him ill, i just find his clumsiness mildy comical ala Andy Carroll, except that Lukkaku is obviously much better.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
I learnt Taekwondo growing up (not till black belt of course). It certainly doesn't make you some super warrior or something.
Indeed. My little sister has a black belt in Taekwondo, it only took her about 4 years and it was mostly forms and very light sparring. I dont think she's ever had what anyone would consider a competive bout. Not all black belts are equal, thats for sure!

Obviously schools differ and Zlatan could kick the shit out of me but I'd just hide in a wooden shed.

CG1010

Just wanted to add the way he carried himself on and off the pitch didn't help his case. We don't hate ADM or sanzhez as much as this guy despite his superior contribution. And that is his own doing. He left the club and couldn't just let us go in the interviews. He should have been a professional like most footballers who left the club and just stfu. But no, he had to take jibes at us at every opportunity and the kakuboys are suddenly so surprised manutd fans responded in kind?! Well feck that donkey. This is tribalism, he is a professional and what did these guys expect? Feck em.

Ps. Great post btw.
Honestly, I am happy to see ADM fail whereas its indifference with Lukaku. Lukaku atleast spent a few years with us and achieved a fair bit. While he has a loud mouth which doesn't always correlate with his footballing performances, resulting in a few hilarious incidents (now that he is not playing in our red shirt), with ADM I am personally miffed at how he treated our club as a undesirable place/stepping stone for other clubs, and ran away without fully applying himself here.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Indeed. My little sister has a black belt in Taekwondo, it only took her about 4 years and it was mostly forms and very light sparring. I dont think she's ever had what anyone would consider a competive bout. Not all black belts are equal, thats for sure!

Obviously schools differ and Zlatan could kick the shit out of me but I'd just hide in a wooden shed.
There's also a big difference between an organised professional fight and a street fight. Imo Zlatan comes accross as one of those jokers who talk a big game but would be found wanting in an actual fight, the loud mouths are mostly like this.

Last edited:

amolbhatia50k

:lol: Brilliant

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Honestly I don't really understand people's antipathy towards Lukaku. For me he's just another player who was here a few years and who's now gone. No different to Djemba Djemba or Jordi Cruyff. He played some good games for us. Didn't work out as we'd have all liked. He's gone now. Don't really think that much about him. Surprised to see this thread leading the CAFs front page currently.

Well we got our money back and he's been very good in Italy and for other clubs. Just didnt fit us.

But I agree with you, for that kind of fee he was bad for us. Its the same with Martial though insane transfer fee at the time and best season is 15 goals and now 2.

We've had a striker problem for a long time
Martial is at least useful on the left. The most disappointing thing about him is that we thought he’d turned a corner and was finally living up to his talent. It’s really not gone well for him this season, and all the question marks are back.

Bole Top

Honestly I don't really understand people's antipathy towards Lukaku. For me he's just another player who was here a few years and who's now gone. No different to Djemba Djemba or Jordi Cruyff. He played some good games for us. Didn't work out as we'd have all liked. He's gone now. Don't really think that much about him. Surprised to see this thread leading the CAFs front page currently.
pretty much. some of the regulars in this thread should seek professional help in my opinion. to hate a certain player so much, to a point where you actually watch all of his games waiting for bad pass or bad touch just to make a gif of it and post it here, while in reality he's having possibly the best season in his career and is pushing Inter to a title. that can't be healthy.

NicolaSacco

Supports
Ipswich
Same amount of league goals this season as Rashford, Cavani, Martial and Greenwood combined.

On his way to City? :smirk:
Can you imagine that? Replacing Aguero with Lukaku... I'd be delighted.

I expect it's nonsense though, Lukaku is the antithesis of Mr. Passmaster in charge at City.

Smores

Can you imagine that? Replacing Aguero with Lukaku... I'd be delighted.

I expect it's nonsense though, Lukaku is the antithesis of Mr. Passmaster in charge at City.
I do imagine it's bollocks but he'd score a lot at City I'm sure. Any half decent forward would given the delivery.

I do imagine it's bollocks but he'd score a lot at City I'm sure. Any half decent forward would given the delivery.
He would be a huge step down from Aguero who don't forget was dropped for a time until he improved his general play. Can you imagine Pep's reaction to Lukaku's cannonball first touch? He would score, but not at Aguero's rate and he certainly won't make the difference in the big games the way Aguero has over the years.

Last edited:

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
No fecking way on gods green earth is pep going to have lukaku as his striker.
Actually, I would love to see it happen....Pep would have a seizure on the touch line within 20 minutes

Botim

Supports
Royal Antwerp FC
Which (available) striker DOES fit within Pep's system though? They've been searching for one for a while, I think. Jesus might be skilful with the ball, but he's hardly a prolific scorer...

Smores

He would be a huge step down from Aguero who don't forget was dropped for a time until he improved his general play. Can you imagine his reaction to Lukaku's cannonball first touch? He would score, but not at Aguero's rate and he certainly won't make the difference in the big games the way Aguero has over the years.
Almost everyone's a big step down from Aguero. They'll be after Haaland and probably get him. I'm just saying theoretically you could stick Lukaku in that team and he'll get 20 league goals.

Pep has always demanded his strikers are involved in the play so i don't see them dropping that philosophy for Lukaku no.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Well Ornstein is reliable, so there is probably something in it. It would certainly be interesting to see what Pep can do with Lukaku. Lukaku is an intelligent poacher whom scores a lot of goals to be fair. I guess he’ll just have one job and the instructions to the rest of the team will be: only pass to Lukaku if you’re sure his next touch will be shot on goal.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
It's really weird, Pep never played with a pure poacher and it's unlikely that he'll start now (especially since they're currently on a record winning run often without starting any striker at all). Especially since Lukaku can't press at all.

Sylar

Aguero record vs big teams and replacing that with Lukaku

That would be fun.

NinjaFletch

Well Ornstein is reliable, so there is probably something in it. It would certainly be interesting to see what Pep can do with Lukaku. Lukaku is an intelligent poacher whom scores a lot of goals to be fair. I guess he’ll just have one job and the instructions to the rest of the team will be: only pass to Lukaku if you’re sure his next touch will be shot on goal.
Ornstein was reliable, but his reputation is tanking a bit now he's at the Athletic. He's still a good journalist, and there might be something in this story, but without the BBC's sources, or with less imperative to be right rather than quick, he's not quite the cast iron guarantee he was.

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
Because Lukaku was shit for us and mopey.

Those other players were good/great for us.

Is it that difficult to understand?
It isn't just because of being rubbish though.

The fans still show respect to Forlan, Fortune, Fabio and Rafael to name a few and they didn't exactly set Old Trafford alight.

The fans also do not show respect to Heinze and Ince for trying to force a move to Liverpool or ended up playing for them down the line in Ince's case. Tevez for his antics and going to City. All 3 were good for us and the latter 2 were actually great for the club

It doesn't matter if a player was rubbish for the club, it is about their attitude and how they feel about United. Lukaku has been disrespectful in the comments he made after leaving.

stevoc

It isn't just because of being rubbish though.

The fans still show respect to Forlan, Fortune, Fabio and Rafael to name a few and they didn't exactly set Old Trafford alight.

The fans also do not show respect to Heinze and Ince for trying to force a move to Liverpool or ended up playing for them down the line in Ince's case. Tevez for his antics and going to City. All 3 were good for us and the latter 2 were actually great for the club

It doesn't matter if a player was rubbish for the club, it is about their attitude and how they feel about United. Lukaku has been disrespectful in the comments he made after leaving.
You reckon Rafael was bad but Heinze was good for United?

Mr Smith

Which (available) striker DOES fit within Pep's system though? They've been searching for one for a while, I think. Jesus might be skilful with the ball, but he's hardly a prolific scorer...
Unfortunately probably Haaland. If Dortmund miss out on top four this season I fear City would have a great chance of getting him. I could also see them putting in a cheeky bid for Joao Felix who's been in and out of the team at Atletico, or Dybala who seems frozen out entirely in Turin.