Romelu Lukaku | Mourinho Part III | Roma watch

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
If Inter manages to win the title this season, he'll finally have a major trophy to be proud off. Anyway I'm happy to see him doing well.

ryan_forlan

Gullible
What's weird is that, I always liked him, so much that I wanted him to get a preference over Rash (I know many won't agree). Even I dint expect him to have such an impact and also be the main player for Inter, not just the main goalscorer but the main player.
Very surprised.

Paul_Scholes18

People used to say he could not score in big games, but we have 0-0 in every big one so doubt it would be worse with Lukaku.

Right now it look like we never should have sold him, but at least we got decent money.

Still not trusting us to buy a top striker this summer cause I think we need one.

Last edited:

NicolaSacco

Supports
Ipswich
I'm sure some people will still insist he's shit.
Regardless of how he plays I think there are too many entrenched views for anyone to admit they may have misjudged. From Lukaku's perspective (if he knows or even cares) all he can do is make those arguments seem more and more absurd with his goals and performances.

stevoc

People used to say he could not score in big games, but we have 0-0 in every big one so doubt it would be worse with Lukaku.

Right now it look like we never should have sold him, but at least we got decent money.
They used to say that? Pretty sure they still do.

Darmian and Sanchez scored today too. Maybe we should have kept them as well?

Gehrman

I think it's mostly people trying to convince themselves it was a good decision to let him go.
It would have been if we had spent that money on Haaland instead of Maguire. Anyway he didn't perform to his highest level when he was here. In hindsight it might have been right to keep him, but I don't think it's concidence that he's shining more in Seria A than in the PL. I also think Conte is a good fit for him and obviously he's developed aspects of his game.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
I think it's mostly people trying to convince themselves it was a good decision to let him go.
It's hardly a disaster, bearing in mind we're in 2nd in the league, a better team than when we had him in it.

ryan_forlan

Gullible
I don’t care if he scores 100 this season, I still wouldn’t want him back
I would love to have top forwards in my team. A forward who is showing he can lead a team to a serie A title. We had one, dint know what to do with him. Stupidly prioritized Rash and Martial ahead of him. And yet somehow some of us don't repent it. I find that very weird.

He arrived at our club having scored more than Shearer had at that age. Having played for West Brom and Everton. He left us, and became a top forward in Serie A. Looks like it was not him, it was us.

Ludens the Red

Still not trusting us to buy a top striker this summer cause I think we need one.
If we sold Lindelof and put a cone next to Maguire, you would be able to make the argument that we shouldn’t have sold Lindelof as the cone was performing badly.

We sold Lukaku and last season we had Martial deliver.
This season we now have a cone up front and so it looks like we shouldn’t have sold Lukaku. What we should have done was signed a striker last season after selling Lukaku but then that would be competent squad planning.

Ludens the Red

I would love to have top forwards in my team. A forward who is showing he can lead a team to a serie A title. We had one, dint know what to do with him. Stupidly prioritized Rash and Martial ahead of him. And yet somehow some of us don't repent it. I find that very weird.

He arrived at our club having scored more than Shearer had at that age. Having played for West Brom and Everton. He left us, and became a top forward in Serie A. Looks like it was not him, it was us.
Surely you know Serie a is not at the level of the PL. It could not be more obvious by the fact Inter are regularly playing Darmian, Young and Sanchez and are top of the table.

Everytime I look up a Juventus game on LiveScore I look at the line up and say to myself “feck me that line up is wank”. It’s a farmers league.

Remember that Inter finished bottom of their CL group.

mu4c_20le

Mason. Martial is complete hindsight, because he was actually quite good last season. But the idea was to give more chances to Mason and develop him instead. We aren't doing too badly at the moment, sure we could use him on the rotation, but do we have 75m to spare ?

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
It could still be a good decision to let him go AND he’s a decent striker who’s been a great signing by Inter.

Where people sound like idiots is when they continue to insist he’s absolutely shit despite him having an excellent season while being one of the most prolific strikers in Europe.

Schneckerl

Did we have the same posts when Di Maria was playing well for PSG? Getting rid of Lukaku never was and never will be a mistake. He was never going to make it here.

Gehrman

He was not a top forward for us though. And the quality of Seria A is completely different than it was in the 80's and 90's. I'd still say that Shearer was a greater striker than Lukkaku ever was and will be.

NotThatSoph

Surely you know Serie a is not at the level of the PL. It could not be more obvious by the fact Inter are regularly playing Darmian, Young and Sanchez and are top of the table.

Everytime I look up a Juventus game on LiveScore I look at the line up and say to myself “feck me that line up is wank”. It’s a farmers league.

Remember that Inter finished bottom of their CL group.
Darmian and Young are backup to Hakimi/Perisic and Sanchez to Martinez/Lukaku. That's three ok squad players for four excellent starters, hardly an indictment of the league.

stevoc

What does Rashford have to do with the decision to sell Lukaku?

You do know he plays on the wing most of the time?

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
In England, he was never really thought of as a targetman(except for Mourinho...), because his touches and hold up-play was poor, much better running in-behind as a typical number 9.
However, for Inter, he seem vital to their way of playing by being just that, a target man, only watched Inter a few times this season, but he did a good job of holding onto the ball and moving it on in those matches i saw.

Players can improve in a number of ways, but improving technically as an adult is quite rare, isn't it? Dont know how he managed that.
Conte. He's also not improved technically so much as improved in using his body to shield the ball

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff

Yet he couldn’t trap a ball to save his life. He was carrying extra weight and not putting the effort in. Quite simply we didn’t suit him and he didn’t suit us, there was no point trying to make it all fit when he clearly didn’t want to be at United by his own words.
Martial then took his chance but unfortunately has fallen off the cliff spectacularly for whatever reason. Doesn’t mean I want a player back who doesn’t want to be at United.

Dr. StrangeHate

He destroyed so many of our attacks with his hold up play and terrible first touch. I wasn't sad for a second when he left. Although Martial is arguably worse now.

bdspeedy

Three of Inter's, United "never good enoughs" scored for them today. They scored as many today as we've scored in our last 3 games.

KGBhoy

Three of Inter's, United "never good enoughs" scored for them today. They scored as many today as we've scored in our last 3 games.
What wouldn't you give to see Darmian, Sanchez, and Lukaku to wear the red of United again?

stevoc

Yeah selling Darmian and Sanchez was a mistake, Young too. Lets re-sign them all.

Jesus :rolleyes:

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
I love how the threads of players we sell are bumped every time they score. It happened with Welbs for a year after he left...

People need to understand that some players play better elsewhere. Because of many things. The system, the players around them, the manager, the pressure etc...

Lukaku had ample opportunities here to show us he's right for us and he didn't do that. He was a useless donkey.

I'm happy he's doing well at inter but I would never want him anywhere near United again.

Paul_Scholes18

I wonder what would've happened if Conte got Lukaku at Chelsea and Morata went to Man United.
Maybe Chelsea would have defended the title and us outside top 4?

Most likely though maybe City 1 , Chelsea 2, 3 Spurs, 4 United.

bdspeedy

Yeah selling Darmian and Sanchez was a mistake, Young too. Lets re-sign them all.

Jesus :rolleyes:
That's the problem with online discussions -- about anything these days. I made a simple observation that you lot chose to conflate into something that I never implied.

FrankWhite

Not Frank White
Maybe Chelsea would have defended the title and us outside top 4?

Most likely though maybe City 1 , Chelsea 2, 3 Spurs, 4 United.
Also Lukaku would most likely still be in the league, probably prolific and we would have ended up with dead money on Morata and Jose fired sooner. All things considered, as is is probably the best scenario we could have gotten from this whole situation:lol:

stevoc

That's the problem with online discussions -- about anything these days. I made a simple observation that you lot chose to conflate into something that I never implied.
Oh really what was your point then?

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
I wonder what would've happened if Conte got Lukaku at Chelsea and Morata went to Man United.
In terms of trophies nothing much. 3 seasons City and Pool got so many points and Lukaku wouldn't have been the difference maker.

Maybe top 4 for Chelsea in 2017-18 which means you wouldn't have won Europa league in 2018-19.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
This season he has been brilliant, one of the big reason or the biggest reason for Inter's position. Without him they look so clueless. Conte got the signing spot on, Lukaku really made a shit decision signing for us when Conte was so desperate for him. Conte knows how to use him, Lukaku looks so much better when he plays alongside another striker.

DaveM

As a Belgian RSC Anderlecht and United fan, I have followed Lukaku throughout his career. there is something that keeps coming back and it has little to do with who and where he is on the pitch.
Besides the fact you have to be able to see through his style, which is not the most graceful of course, there are many things that keep coming back. Lukaku himself always says that he is mentally strong, but I doubt that.
When he came to us from youth at Anderlecht, his coach (Jacobs) was a huge fan, he got all the confidence from the coach and even though we already saw that he was not a graceful football player, he did things that you did not think possible, he scored with 2 grown man on his back as a 16YO and was a nightmare for defenses.
When he went to Chelsea and had to show himself there in a few minutes and when they were not convinced that he was ready, he had a first crisis in his head.
Later on he got back all confidence at West Brom and especially Everton.
When he came here at united, partly because of his price, there were many expectations and little confidence from some angles and you could see that, his natural clumsiness increasingly took the upper hand and his qualities became less and less visible.
We saw the same with the Belgian team, these days there is no one who doubts him, but it was not always that way, when Wilmots was coach and Benteke and Origi were chosen above him, you also saw the clumsy Lukaku most of the time and there was a lot of criticism, when Martinez became a coach and he said, you are my first man (knowing him from Everton), I believe in your qualities, there was even a lot of criticism in Belgium.
Now it is seen as a masterstroke of Martinez. Conte did the same, and Lukaku once again transformed into the striker he never really was in his Man Utd era.

Reactions: jojojo