Romelu Lukaku | Mourinho Part III | Roma watch

hobbers

Not really. He’s a good striker but has mental and technical limitations that prevent him from doing well in these games. The criticisms he received are over the top sometimes though, certainly not the worst footballer or striker to have played for Utd, as some opined.
To be fair he was easily the worst striker for us who was a regular in the starting eleven in the Premier League era. There's not even any shame in that when he's up against Cantona, Yorke, Cole, RVN, Saha, Rooney, Ronaldo, Tevez, Berbatov, RVP etc

RuudtheRed

He's an above average striker with a good goalscoring record and wildly inconsistent technique. But for some reason, there's just this barrier dividing him from the top tier strikers. I still have no doubt that it was the right decision to sell him - he was good in his 1st season but totally stank up our forward line in the 2nd season. The criticism about his first touch and inability to hold up the ball was well warranted and fully justified.

simmee

I doubt it. Seems like he’s doing his regular kissing to the skies celebration.
Did you watch the game? He 100% shushed him. But I'm also 100% Donnarumma tried to get under his skin during the penalty, so fair game.

Sylar

:lol: don’t know why he sets himself up for failure so often. He obviously has a good attitude for self improvement but his self-consciousness makes him way too sensitive to criticism, while at the same time believing he’s better than he is…dangerous combo.

I think he was pretty good for us and has obviously gotten better as he’s matured, but I’m glad we don’t have a personality like his in the squad. Always complaining to better players, usually for mistakes he makes 10x as often.
We knew what would happen once he started talking. Don't think he had a good match last game either. Penalty and that early counter aside he was dealt with quite comfortably.

He has this need to want to be praised and that's fine.
I actually had him down as top goal scorer but overall was disappointed outside of his first game

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
He was as atrocious against Italy as I’d expect him to be in a big game. Missed an absolute sitter, and failed to even connect with an easy header. Couple of nice touches and flick ons here and there, but he’s always been useless against quality opposition and so it proved again.

Judas

Open to offers
I thought he had a good game. Belgium looked very dangerous all game and he was the main source. Big miss though it is not easy to score given the speed, but he should have got more power on it.

It is not the attack that is the reason Belgium lost. It is the def that Italy is stronger.

He has had a really good tournament so far. In terms of strikers he is probably striker of the tournament so far. Although Schick and Kane could have something to say about that.
What game were you watching? They were mostly limp throughout as usual when it matters. Doku was by far the biggest threat, and KDB had a good first half.

Red00012

He was as atrocious against Italy as I’d expect him to be in a big game. Missed an absolute sitter, and failed to even connect with an easy header. Couple of nice touches and flick ons here and there, but he’s always been useless against quality opposition and so it proved again.
The one where he kicked the ground and then miskicked the ball after for the chance in the 2nd half was iconic

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
He's an alright striker who I've not missed for a single second since he left us. Bit like the cult of Jose, I'm baffled by his army of supporters.
I don't think that he has a single supporter. You have a bunch of people trolling the susbtantial amount of posters that cannot stand Lukaku.

Tony247

The one where he kicked the ground and then miskicked the ball after for the chance in the 2nd half was iconic
In the first half counter attack he tried to dribble vigourously only to lose body balance, however somehow managed to get the shot on target.

He’s a far better player. Strike rate aside you have to be insanely biased against him to watch him this season and not see how much better he is with his back to goal (his biggest weakness when he was at United) Service tonight was almost non-existent but his hold-up play as an isolated lone striker was streets ahead of anything we saw in a United shirt.
Well yes, his hold up play was streets ahead in that he looked like some kind of competition winner at times with us. He still made it impossible for Belgium to keep the ball high up the pitch though. How many times did he head or flick it straight back to Italy? When he did hold the ball it needed 2 or 3 touches to bring it under control, by which time Italy were all over him and there was nothing to do but play a safe pass.

I'm not convinced he really is any better than he was in his first season with us. Instead of getting better at his weaknesses, he has just moved to a league where the weaknesses go unpunished and he can do more of what he was already good at. Every time he faces good opposition he reverts back to the player we all remember.

JPRouve

Scout
It's a bit of a shame that Lukaku is so unlikeable because when you look at his striking technique, he is one of the best of the last 20 years. Of course he misses sometimes but Lukaku has the rare ability to strike the ball cleanly in very awkward positions, when it comes to the striking phase his balance is exceptional.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
It's a bit of a shame that Lukaku is so unlikeable because when you look at his striking technique, he is one of the best of the last 20 years. Of course he misses sometimes but Lukaku has the rare ability to strike the ball cleanly in very awkward positions, when it comes to the striking phase his balance is exceptional.
I don’t think he is unlikeable. Isn’t it just bitter United fans that deem him unlikeable? Is he disliked outside that context?

His long heart to hearts with defeated opponents is a bit cringe but obviously comes from a good place.

JPRouve

Scout
I don’t think he is unlikeable. Isn’t it just bitter United fans that deem him unlikeable? Is he disliked outside that context?

His long heart to hearts with defeated opponents is a bit cringe but obviously comes from a good place.
Lukaku is unlikeable beyond United and he wasn't likeable at Everton where he was already running his mouth for no good reason, he has always been incredibly cocky.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
Honestly what strikes me about him is how bad his balance is. He constantly looks like he’s going to fall over, and often does. He looks really good in a low pressure and tempo environment but when pressed or against high quality opposition, I feel like his technique falls to pieces. Probably why his big game record is so atrocious. He’s lethal against mid to lower teams but hopeless against good teams.

DJ Jeff

Not so Jazzy
Soaring like a candy wrapper caught in an updraft
In the first half counter attack he tried to dribble vigourously only to lose body balance, however somehow managed to get the shot on target.
Total flashback to his united days. That stumble that looks like he's about to fall over the ball, the overstretched, slow stepovers. I don't miss him at all

I think he's a pain in the arse and thought most here shared that sentiment since the whole mouthing off about little babies quotes when he was here, along with the pointing stuff and his celebrations. Just found him very up himself, thin skinned and confrontational, as if nobody else ever got criticised.

Nothing too bad really just never warmed to him, find him arrogant and toucht

Swordsman

he missed at the worst possible time, Belgium might have dragged it to extra time and PK shootout if he doesn't miss that sitter.

it's anybody game when come to penalty shootout.

Swordsman

Honestly what strikes me about him is how bad his balance is. He constantly looks like he’s going to fall over, and often does. He looks really good in a low pressure and tempo environment but when pressed or against high quality opposition, I feel like his technique falls to pieces. Probably why his big game record is so atrocious. He’s lethal against mid to lower teams but hopeless against good teams.
has his 1st touch improve or will he ever improve his first touch ?

Total flashback to his united days. That stumble that looks like he's about to fall over the ball, the overstretched, slow stepovers. I don't miss him at all

I think he's a pain in the arse and thought most here shared that sentiment since the whole mouthing off about little babies quotes when he was here, along with the pointing stuff and his celebrations. Just found him very up himself, thin skinned and confrontational, as if nobody else ever got criticised.

Nothing too bad really just never warmed to him, find him arrogant and toucht
most other fans of other clubs I know think he’s a bit of a knob and are perplexed by his arrogance. The schuch gesture yesterday - it’s just small time.

Withnail

Search those words in this thread or his player performance thread for Utd, you’ll be surprised.

He‘s pretty unlikeable, and objectivity tends to fly out of the window for some when it comes to him for that reason.
I've seen worst regular striker, worst big money striker and that type of thing. One guy said worst and later clarified he had meant first XI.

It always seems to be couched in a condition which you left out. Clearly he isn't even close to being the worst striker we've ever had on the books and nobody is claiming he is.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
I don't think that he has a single supporter. You have a bunch of people trolling the susbtantial amount of posters that cannot stand Lukaku.
Nah there’s people on here who think he’s world class and could win the Ballon Dor!

I've seen worst regular striker, worst big money striker and that type of thing. One guy said worst and later clarified he had meant first XI.

It always seems to be couched in a condition which you left out. Clearly he isn't even close to being the worst striker we've ever had on the books and nobody is claiming he is.
Indeed. I even made it clear, he’s obviously a better player than Dong for example. But for a big name, first team striker, he’s the worst since Ralph Milne.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
He plays with the worlds biggest chip on his shoulder. Don’t think he was close to how poor De Bruyne was, though. 50 page debate on here if it was Bruno or Pogba who dropped that disasterclass.

Withnail

There's nothing worse. Nobody wants to be consoled by the opposition. It'll never be as bad Henry after the handball though. He was just making himself fuel better.

TrustInJanuzaj

Utd fans aren’t bitter about him, they just saw the reality of him. A flat track bully with awful technical ability and an overinflated ego. That’s just the reality as it’s presented.

TrustInJanuzaj

He’s the worst regular starting striker I’ve ever seen at the club.

JPRouve

Scout
His balance is generally poor outside of when he has to strike the ball. It makes no sense.

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
I don't think that he has a single supporter. You whave a bunch of people trolling the susbtantial amount of posters that cannot stand Lukaku.
:D

JPRouve

Scout
I'm talking about a particular aspect of his game, there is a reason Lukaku can score at a high clip while being an average player overall, his striking technique is one of them, even among top strikers you don't see many players better. To illustrate my point think about Charlie Adam or Ward-Prowse, they are not good players but their ability to strike the ball is exceptional.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
Yeah he’s far too top heavy, it’s funny how he stumbles about once his balance has gone