Romelu Lukaku | Mourinho Part III | Roma watch

OhGee

It’s no surprise that his record against the big teams are poor. Big Rom averages a goal per 4-5 clear chances on goal - if you lucky you get 1 or 2 clear chances and if you don’t capitalize on them then you skunk out...

Botim

Supports
Royal Antwerp FC
Another two goals and an assist tonight. Second one a beauty.

Game not over yet either.

Second in the topscorer standings now as well.

(Cue the gang making fun of his first touch, saying it's only Genoa...)

lsd

The Oracle
It’s no surprise that his record against the big teams are poor. Big Rom averages a goal per 4-5 clear chances on goal - if you lucky you get 1 or 2 clear chances and if you don’t capitalize on them then you skunk out...

A goal is a goal no matter how its scored or who its against . Utd fans consider Van Nistelrooy as one or our best ever forwards yet he was often called a flat track bully and rarely scored outside the box

SER19

Was always going to score bucket loads in Italy. And most places.

But absolutely had to leave united

Paul_Scholes18

It was stupid to sell him without getting another forward. Although he wanted to leave so I understand why Ole didn't force him to stay.
I think we would have had 10 points more with Lukaku in our squad.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
He is doing good because of Conte.

He would be struggling here at United. Be it at Italy or England, if conte had bought the guy for Chelsea he would be better for them than he was for us. He just was not the best player for the players at United & whilst he was a Jose player as well as being physical and strong - if you gave him the option of a younger Zlatan or Drogba then there's no question who he would pick. He chose Lukaku over Morata because there was no one else in the market and he wanted a butch forward.

It's conte & his tactics & they are blending well with Lukaku. Still don't think it will be what inter needs to get and stay at the top though.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Another two goals and an assist tonight. Second one a beauty.

Game not over yet either.

Second in the topscorer standings now as well.

(Cue the gang making fun of his first touch, saying it's only Genoa...)
I don't see how this addresses any of the main complaints United fans had about Lukaku. Namely that he was shit in general play, and a flat track bully. No-one disputed his ability to grab goals, but he did it by padding out his stats against the also-rans. 2 goals against Genoa don't tell us anything new.

It was stupid to sell him without getting another forward. Although he wanted to leave so I understand why Ole didn't force him to stay.
I think we would have had 10 points more with Lukaku in our squad.
very much doubt it, our food bill would be a lot higher that’s about it.

Ole wanted rid of him, and we are far better off without him.

Ramos

I know people are going to continue the whole "could have used him" vs "it's good he was sold" debate ad infinitum, but just want to highlight this gesture to gift a 17 yo talent a possibility at his first goal in front of his home crowd.

always_hoping

The slow Italian league suits Lukaku. 15 goals in 45 appearances for United last season, Rashford is one goal short of that total this season.

Paul_Scholes18

We are not better without him. We struggle to score goals and beat the weaker sides which is what Lukaku does best. We have not got that many points so improvement on what we have got would not be that hard

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
I know people are going to continue the whole "could have used him" vs "it's good he was sold" debate ad infinitum, but just want to highlight this gesture to gift a 17 yo talent a possibility at his first goal in front of his home crowd.
Meh, probably too gassed to take it himself.

bludsucker

Glad that he is scoring boat loads there. We will get all the add ons and recover all of our money on him. But having said that it was the absolutely right call selling him.

We are not better without him. We struggle to score goals and beat the weaker sides which is what Lukaku does best. We have not got that many points so improvement on what we have got would not be that hard
you have to get rid of the chaff to improve. He’s chaff if the highest order, 1 goal in 23 against the top 6 in his Utd career, that’s pathetic.

just look at how Rashford is flourishing, and the attacking play we are capable of - none of which would be possible with that lard arse stinking up the place. Disliked by both players and fans, happy for him to plunder goals against trash.

No club will win anything significant with him as their striker.

Amarsdd

I don't understand why this thread still exists here. I understand having threads for superstar players like Messi, Ronaldo, young prospects and players that might United can look into in the future. But its weird to dwell over a player who has already left the club and did not much of note during his time here. It just serves for posters to goad over whether it was the right decision to sell him when he's not doing well and it was the wrong decision to sell him when he's doing well.

Rasendori

Man Of Culture
I don't understand why this thread still exists here. I understand having threads for superstar players like Messi, Ronaldo, young prospects and players that might United can look into in the future. But its weird to dwell over a player who has already left the club and did not much of note during his time here. It just serves for posters to goad over whether it was the right decision to sell him when he's not doing well and it was the wrong decision to sell him when he's doing well.
Not everyone. I've posted his goal on two occasions now. Did neither of those things. I doubt I'm the only one. This is the Football forum section afterall, not the Man Utd Forum section.

van Hooijdonk

Nah, he is overrated and crap. Half-arsed non-moving without the ball Martial is better.

lsd

The Oracle
I just don't get why people get so annoyed about an ex player and have to try and belittle him if he scores .

AFC NimbleThumb

I just don't get why people get so annoyed about an ex player and have to try and belittle him if he scores .
This.

The guy can get double figures in Timberlands [see his performances for us last season] but just because we didn’t see the ‘best’ of him doesn’t mean he is/was no good.

The Lukaku I hoped we were buying is what I’m seeing at Inter but it didn’t happen here so I move on; honestly a shame we couldn’t get him firing for us as I believe he is a top top striker.

GifLord

Better at GIFs than posts
Because he thinks he's better than he actually is. Also not forget how he left. He's a petty manchild.
As for the game he was crap before the goal - miss timed jumps and overall looked lazy.
Every time he scores against these shitty opponents - Genoa was all over the place making mistakes in defense, you have people flocking in here telling us we should have NEVER SOLD him when HE HIMSELF was going aorund telling everyone how he wants to PLAY IN SERIE A a year before the actual transfer HAPPENED.
He's an inconsistent flat track bully and nothing more.

Last edited:

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
We're not really struggling to score goals though, we were before Martial got back from his injury but since then our record has been much better and will likely improve further with Pogba's return.

4 against AZ
3 against Sheffield, Colchester, Brighton and Norwich
2 against Chelsea, Tottenham, Villa and City

Recently the only games where we've scored 1 or less have been Everton and Bournemouth (and Astana but we fielded an actual U23 team so I can't count that).

Tel074

Why does anyone care enough to continually comment about Lukaku ? . He was our player he no longer is . I couldn't care less if he scores 80 goals this season or 8

BillyJoel

Liverpool Fan
Supports
Liverpool, Hansa Rostock
the twit is wrong though, lukaku had one goal up to that point, he scored his second after that penalty.

Ramos

the twit is wrong though, lukaku had one goal up to that point, he scored his second after that penalty.
Yeah, i knew. Couldn't find another one at that time. Esposito also isn't 18, that's why i corrected it.

Ban

I rather see Martial and Rashford upfront than him and actually recently we haven't really struggled for goals.

Dante

Average bang
There's so much bitterness in this thread.

He's a very good player who was wrong for our manager, and wasn't willing to be second choice.

He moved on. So should the posters hoping to prove their agendas.

MalcolmTucker

Why does anyone care enough to continually comment about Lukaku ? . He was our player he no longer is . I couldn't care less if he scores 80 goals this season or 8
Well done you.

But a lot of us are petty, think he's an overrated crybaby and enjoy watching him fail to trap a five yard pass.

It's sad but let us enjoy it.

Member 90887

you have to get rid of the chaff to improve. He’s chaff if the highest order, 1 goal in 23 against the top 6 in his Utd career, that’s pathetic.

just look at how Rashford is flourishing, and the attacking play we are capable of - none of which would be possible with that lard arse stinking up the place. Disliked by both players and fans, happy for him to plunder goals against trash.

No club will win anything significant with him as their striker.
This.

Nobody disputes the fact that he scores goals against the weaker sides. Even before coming to us, we knew that he was a flat track bully. Against top sides though, he's nowhere to be seen. We saw that against Barcelona, he was one of the main reasons they did not advances to the next stage of the CL. The number of chances he missed was crazy. They should have easily won that match.

Good luck to him, i have nothing against him. I don't mind him at all scoring, he has nothing to do with us now.

He was just so frustrating to watch when he was playing for us and i'm glad i'm not enduring that each week this year.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Great pen tbf, sweetly struck!

Kag

There's so much bitterness in this thread.

He's a very good player who was wrong for our manager, and wasn't willing to be second choice.

He moved on. So should the posters hoping to prove their agendas.
It stems from being told that selling him was a mistake. It wasn’t. For myriad reasons that have been already been explained. Namely, his goal record against rival teams and his (relatively) poor all round play.

Not that I disagree with your assessment. Lukaku is a very good striker that scores goals. Not right for us, though, so all parties have moved on happily.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Those who rate him, even comparing him to RVN, what exactly is he good at? It must be something, seeing as he does score goals, but I can't put my finger on it. It's not finishing. Positioning maybe?

Paul_Scholes18

Those who rate him, even comparing him to RVN, what exactly is he good at? It must be something, seeing as he does score goals, but I can't put my finger on it. It's not finishing. Positioning maybe?
His finishing, crossing/passes are very good. He is strong and fairly quick for that size.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
His finishing, crossing/passes are very good. He is strong and fairly quick for that size.
His crossing is, for sure. His finishing isn't though. Or maybe it is some days and shocking others. I've seen him bollocks too many easy chances to rate it (I know everyone misses chances but there some pretty special ones in his tenure here). He is quick when gets going yeah. Not sure about strong though. Also seen him get muscled off the ball many times despite his size.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
ROM is on fire. What a difference a true manager can make

Untd55

How are we better? We have scored 8 fewer goals than last season and are in a lower position in the league.

People criticised Lukaku for only scoring against lower teams, which is quite funny considering we are failing to beat those very same teams this season.

The fact of the matter is that the majority of the league and, therefore, points are taken from the lower clubs.

We stupidly sold a striker and replaced him with a centre-back.

Jean-Philippe Jason

Supports
Belgian red devils
I keep reading, week after week, on how much Lukaku stinks, on how technically limited he is, on how fat he is and on how he never was worthy of wearing a Manchester jersey,...
Then I watch the team this season and as sad and frustrating as it might be, Lukaku was smart to leave...