Romelu Lukaku | Mourinho Part III | Roma watch

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
Barcelona B team - was actually the main culprit they lost the match, Napoli and Roma aren't even top teams this season, Milan were in shit form at the time - after the restart i think they're top 3

This was Lukaku vs Barca - they needed to win the match and he fecked up all these chances - in the end they lost
He almost did the Cryuff turn in that first chance.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
A) He was talking about his time at Inter

B) The two goals against PSG are an exception that proves the rule. No one is saying he is incapable of ever scoring against a big side, especially when the opposing team gift him chances like the PSG game, just that his record is laughably poor. He also scored against Chelsea for us, unfortunately that was the only goal he scored against the top 6 in the PL in 22 games
The “flat track bully” thing gets overused as all teams score less often against big teams, so it’s to be expected that their strikers records are poor in those matches. Having said that, his record in those games is truly abysmal. Compare and contrast with Marcus Rashford.

MalcolmTucker

The “flat track bully” thing gets overused as all teams score less often against big teams, so it’s to be expected that their strikers records are poor in those matches. Having said that, his record in those games is truly abysmal. Compare and contrast with Marcus Rashford.
Yep, Rashford and Martial are both likely to pop up and get a goal in a big game. Their stats against the top 6 just this season dwarf Lukaku's risible record.

Rashford - 7 games/6 goals
Martial - 8 games/4 goals

I remember there were a bunch of people in this thread saying Rashford and Martial were inferior to Lukaku and wouldn't be able to compensate for his goals when he left. It was leap of faith by Ole and I'm glad that myself and a few others who couldn't wait to see the back of Lukaku were vindicated.

Gehrman

Yep, Rashford and Martial are both likely to pop up and get a goal in a big game. Their stats against the top 6 just this season dwarf Lukaku's risible record.

Rashford - 7 games/6 goals
Martial - 8 games/4 goals

I remember there were a bunch of people in this thread saying Rashford and Martial were inferior to Lukaku and wouldn't be able to compensate for his goals when he left. It was leap of faith by Ole and I'm glad that myself and a few others who couldn't wait to see the back of Lukaku were vindicated.
When Rashford and Martial were injured and Lindgaard had to play as our striker we did look pretty fecked.

SAFMUTD

A) He was talking about his time at Inter

B) The two goals against PSG are an exception that proves the rule. No one is saying he is incapable of ever scoring against a big side, especially when the opposing team gift him chances like the PSG game, just that his record is laughably poor. He also scored against Chelsea for us, unfortunately that was the only goal he scored against the top 6 in the PL in 22 games
Damn is it that bad? 1 goal in 22 matches? I knew he had a poor record, but thats laughable for a player that consistently get goals to be fair.

MalcolmTucker

When Rashford and Martial were injured and Lindgaard had to play as our striker we did look pretty fecked.
Lukaku was never going to sit on the bench for us. He angled for a move as soon as he realised he wasn't first choice so the idea that we'd have been able to use Lukaku as back-up or a supersub is moot. Would have been nice to have Ighalo at the start of the season as Greenwood was a little too green to lead the line in the PL. I think going in to next season, with hopefully another attacking player, Martial, Greenwood and Ighalo (as well as Rashford who can fill in) is enough depth for the #9 position

Damn is it that bad? 1 goal in 22 matches? I knew he had a poor record, but thats laughable for a player that consistently get goals to be fair.
I've done Lukaku a great disservice - 20 games/1 goal :lol:

Last edited:

Web of Bissaka

Lukaku vs top teams (United, Pool, City, Arsenal, Spurs, Chelsea + European powerhouse eg. Bayern Juve, PSG, Barca, etc)

Chelsea 11/12
4 games (4 L)
0 goals/assist

West Brom 12/13
11 games (2W 2D 7L)
5 goals = 2 vs Liverpool, 3 vs United

Chelsea (one game) -> Everton 13/14
11 games (3W 3D 5L)
6 goals = 2 vs Arsenal, 2 vs City, 2 vs Liverpool
3 assists = 2 assist vs Arsenal, 1 assist vs United

Everton 14/15
12 games (1W 4D 7L)
0 goals
1 assist vs Arsenal

15/16
14 games (3W 4D 7L)
4 goals = 1 vs City, 2 vs Chelsea, 1 vs Pool
1 assist vs Spurs

16/17
11 games (2W 3D 6L)
4 goals = 1 vs Arsenal, 1 vs Spurs, 2 vs City

Manchester United 17/18
13 games (7W 1D 5L)
2 goals = 1 vs Real Madrid, 1 vs Chelsea
3 assists = 1 vs Spurs, 1 vs Pool, 1 vs Chelsea

18/19
16 games (4W 3D 9L)
2 goals vs PSG
2 assists vs Arsenal

Inter 19/20 (not sure who are the other top teams, other than Juve and Inter)
5 games (1W 4L)
1 goal vs Barca

--------------------------------------------------------

Season/Goals per games | Goals+Assists per game
11/12 - 0
12/13 - 5/11 = 0.45 (nice)
13/14 - 6/11 = 0.55 (wow!) | 9/11 = 0.82 (wow!)
14/15 - 0 | 1/12 = 0.08
15/16 - 4/14 = 0.29 | 5/14 = 0.36
16/17 - 4/11 = 0.36
17/18 - 2/13 = 0.15 | 5/13 = 0.38
18/19 - 2/16 = 0.13 | 4/16 = 0.25
19/20 - 1/5 = 0.2

--------------------------------------------------------

Conclusion?
1)
He's really useless in big games now.
Joining top teams with better teammates helped improved his winning rate, but his losing rate is still ridiculously high.
Better to just bench him in big games - he just consistently won't help you win.

2) The stats supported my theory that Lukaku is so much better when he's younger in the big games.
This is when he's on loan at West Brom but more so on loan at Everton. At this stage, Lukaku is not being chosen at Chelsea and so he seek to impress so he's really motivated. But after the two impressive loans, he believed too much in his own hype, he thinks he's that good so he gets complacent. He still regularly score against the weaker teams because his ability to score is still that good, doesn't need much effort.

freeurmind

weak willed
I'd give him 6/10 for this season, not as good as I thought he'd be. He's scored some goals but he should be up there with Ronaldo and Immobile, he''s missed alot of chances. I think Inter have gotten more used to his playing style now nad they're better for it but he can still have moments where he looks completely useless.

ThinkTank@Cafe

Whatever Lukaku’s contribution could have been, it wouldn’t have made a £70 million difference we got for him. We basically swapped Lukaku for Maguire. Shrewd business.

One goal in 23 appearances against the top 6 when he played for Utd.

Flat track bully may be overused, but Lukuku is the absolute definition of one.

Shocking striker, his ego was as big as his appetite.

Never seen a striker so unprofessional with his fitness.

We now have a cohesive forward unit, where someone with the touch of a League One striker doesn’t fit in.

Ighalo took the minutes Lukuku would have got this year, and frankly did a better job.

Couldn’t care less what he does in Italy, just glad we got rid, and somehow managed to recoup a decent fee for him.

Never a Utd striker, it’s almost as bad as Andy Carroll going to Liverpool - these players belong at clubs like West Ham and Everton, and simply are not good enough for a top club.

Gehrman

One goal in 23 appearances against the top 6 when he played for Utd.

Flat track bully may be overused, but Lukuku is the absolute definition of one.

Shocking striker, his ego was as big as his appetite.

Never seen a striker so unprofessional with his fitness.

We now have a cohesive forward unit, where someone with the touch of a League One striker doesn’t fit in.

Ighalo took the minutes Lukuku would have got this year, and frankly did a better job.

Couldn’t care less what he does in Italy, just glad we got rid, and somehow managed to recoup a decent fee for him.

Never a Utd striker, it’s almost as bad as Andy Carroll going to Liverpool - these players belong at clubs like West Ham and Everton, and simply are not good enough for a top club.
Andy Carroll has had a far worse career. They both have an awful touch but lukkaku has an overall decent scoring record as well for his country.

Andy Carroll has had a far worse career. They both have an awful touch but lukkaku has an overall decent scoring record as well for his country.
I did say almost as bad. Neither will ever be considered good strikers.

Neither are good enough for a decent side, and both shipped out pretty quickly at Liverpool and United.

Gehrman

Neither are good enough for a decent side, and both shipped out pretty quickly at Liverpool and United.
Carrol diving after he rounded the keeper against newcastle is one of the most comical moments in football i remember. And then getting booked for diving.

Gehrman

Nah Lukkaku has around 280 goals for club and country. Carrol has around 85. Lukkaku is decent flat track bully goal poacher but nothing more than that.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout

Lukaku will go down in the history books as good striker. No one will care about his first touch or top 6 record, his will score lot of goals which will put him in good light. He has around 100 goals in PL, imagine if he scores nearly 100 in Serie A, that would be superb achievement for most strikers.

Halftrack

It's not even close. Andy Carroll has managed double digits twice in his career, meanwhile Lukaku has managed double digits every season he's been a starter (10 seasons) and 20+ six of those seasons. Lukaku is limited, but Andy Carroll is just awful. Carroll is a Championship level striker at best, Lukaku is miles better.

GifLord

Better at GIFs than posts
It's not even close. Andy Carroll has managed double digits twice in his career, meanwhile Lukaku has managed double digits every season he's been a starter (10 seasons) and 20+ six of those seasons. Lukaku is limited, but Andy Carroll is just awful. Carroll is a Championship level striker at best, Lukaku is miles better.
I'd love to see Kaku score a goal like this

He'd probably injure himself trying to even pull of a scissor kick

I don’t want to be defending Andy Carroll! But he’s played in the PL most of his career, so clearly he’s a PL striker.

I’m prepared to admit Lukuku is a better striker than Carroll, but both of them are at the level of Everton, Newcastle or West Ham - both failed at decent clubs, and will never be in any conversation about top strikers.

Halftrack

I don’t want to be defending Andy Carroll! But he’s played in the PL most of his career, so clearly he’s a PL striker.

I’m prepared to admit Lukuku is a better striker than Carroll, but both of them are at the level of Everton, Newcastle or West Ham - both failed at decent clubs, and will never be in any conversation about top strikers.
Their respective goal records speak for themselves, there's really no comparison.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
I saw some quotes from Conte on Lukaku the other day, seems he's not totally happy with him either

Their respective goal records speak for themselves, there's really no comparison.
Different types of strikers.

I bet Lukuku has a better goal scoring record that Sheringham for example. It’s pretty stupid just to compare goals.

I’ve already said hes better than Carroll. However, his goal scoring record, i.e one goal in 23 games against the top 6 in the PL is actually appalling for a player who was the sole striker at a top club.

The worst first team striker United have had in 30 years, and to be clear I’m not including the likes of Dong in that!

Last edited:

jymufc20

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
Different types of strikers.

I bet Lukuku has a better goal scoring record that Sheringham for example. It’s pretty stupid just to compare goals.

I’ve already said hes better than Carroll. However, his goal scoring record, i.e one goal in 23 games against the top 6 in the PL is actually appalling for a player who was the sole striker at a top club.

The worst first team striker United have had in 3 years, and to be clear I’m not including the likes of Dong in that!
Who is Dong ?

manutddjw

He's a pretty good striker. If you play him every game he'll consistently get you 20+ goals a season. That isn't a knock because there's tons of strikers who can play every game a season and will get like 11 goals if that.

Where I think is his undoing is he's greedy for individual accolades as opposed to team success. Look at his quote about thinking about leaving after the second game after he got here. The source of his problem was he scored against Madrid in the Super Cup and instead of lauding him we were mad at not winning the cup. I guarantee you Jamie Vardy would swap his golden boot to finish top 4 this season.

GifLord

He's a pretty good striker. If you play him every game he'll consistently get you 20+ goals a season. That isn't a knock because there's tons of strikers who can play every game a season and will get like 11 goals if that.

Where I think is his undoing is he's greedy for individual accolades as opposed to team success. Look at his quote about thinking about leaving after the second game after he got here. The source of his problem was he scored against Madrid in the Super Cup and instead of lauding him we were mad at not winning the cup. I guarantee you Jamie Vardy would swap his golden boot to finish top 4 this season.
Because he missed a sitter in the last minute of the match

mu4c_20le

The problem is half of those goals will be against like 3 teams in the relegation zone. He is great at destroying fodder when he gets enough service and the team dominates. Whenever I see Inter win by a score of 5-0 or something like that, I already know his name will be on the score sheet before even clicking.

prateik

Was looking at his stats.
He has had 22 goals from open play and 5 assists this season for Inter. ( *Penalties still need to be scored, but you dont need a striker for that.. I am judging strikers by their ability to score non penalty goals here)

He had 27 goals 9 assists in his first season with us..

The stats arent exactly stellar. They are good enough.. I havent seen Inter enough.. how has he been? Same Lukaku? or has his overall game improved ?

Robbie Boy

One of our worst signings ever. Utter clown and I was delighted we got rid. So glad he's someone elses problem now.

United Junkie

Yeah dunno why Contes helping us out but it's nice. The deal works out for Inter too as they get an upgrade on Icardi who wanted to leave, but I think Inter fans now that Lukaku has his limits. As good as a footballer he is with the ball at his feet, a traditional striker he is not.

He'll get goals so it's not a bad deal for them, but for 70m we significantly got the better end of the deal. Props to Ole for getting that one done.

Young and Sanchez unexpectedly both have been pretty good, both getting goals and assists.
He certainly can put the ball in the goal but running with the ball at his feet is something that he's almost not capable of.

United Junkie

I would consider Lukaku to be a good striker. Not a great, top or world class striker but a good striker nonetheless and a decent footballer. He definitely has the stats too back him up with that. I agree with the fact that he will probably never be mentioned in conversations about the real top strikers of the last decade.

GifLord

If only all of our 'worst signings ever' scored 27 goals in their first season:rolleyes:
We lost the USC game vs Real cause of him, we lost an important match vs City because of him, we lost the UCL game vs Sevilla cause of him, we became a lauging stock
because of him

Robbie Boy

We lost the USC game vs Real cause of him, we lost the UCL game vs Sevilla cause of him, we became a lauging stock
because of him

Exactly. Using stats is awesome and all but provides very little context. His goals came in spells and then there were the spells of barely looking like a footballer. He was an expensive mess of a signing.

Thing is, I'm admitting I was totally wrong about him. I was desperate to sign him and while I acknowledged his deficiencies, I really thought he could iron them out with us. I spent a lot of time defending his transfer on here the summer we signed him. Turns out, the people I was debating with were right all along.

freeurmind

weak willed
I was going to ask what @GifLord would do with himself if Lukaku scored 50 goals next season, then I realised that Kanye has a better chance of becoming president.