Romelu Lukaku | Mourinho Part III | Roma watch

padr81

Supports
Man City
Lukaku is a roman catholic from Belgium with absolutely zero known ties of any sort to voodoo. It is an entirely outlandish claim based on every known detail about his life and background. It is a well known racist stereotype though. Suggesting that he joined us because he went off to Africa and got a voodoo message is pretty clearly racially loaded given it would never be said about a white catholic from Belgium.
KDB only signed for City cause of a voodoo message.

Would people trying to defend someone insulting him like that say "You never know it could be real". How people don't see whats wrong with bringing up Moshiri comments I don't know. Hopefully though it was misheard and he did say woodshed.

The Mitcher

connoisseur of pot noodles and sandwiches
Lukaku is a roman catholic from Belgium with absolutely zero known ties of any sort to voodoo. It is an entirely outlandish claim based on every known detail about his life and background. It is a well known racist stereotype though. Suggesting that he joined us because he went off to Africa and got a voodoo message is pretty clearly racially loaded given it would never be said about a white catholic from Belgium.
Yes I know what he says his religion is. But your basing your opinion based on his word and your political beliefs. That is not proof that it never happened.

Ladron de redcafe

He’s referring to a blatant lie which Lukaku has denied? I wonder why the ‘voodoo’ claim was initiated by Moshiri in the first place. I wonder why Zlatan randomly bought it up three years later.

https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...rhad-moshiri-voodoo-manchester-united-everton
Really disappointing by Ibrahimovic. If he said this, the book should be thrown at him. I don't blame Lukaku for getting cross with him.

Also some tweets that Ibra insults Lukaku's mother.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Yes I know what he says his religion is. But your basing your opinion based on his word and your political beliefs. That is not proof that it never happened.
Nonsensical argument.

The Mitcher from redcafe is a cannibal. Since I've said it, if you deny it, it's your word against mine. So, you never know. I mean, where's the proof that it's not true?!

amolbhatia50k

This thread is funny. Everyone hammering Lukaku in unison and defending lord Ibra whereas it's the latter who makes a fool of himself by seemingly hurling a racist jibe and costing his team by getting sent off. I don't even particularly like Lukaku and was glad we sold him but Ibrahimovic himself is fairly overrated. Never don't squat in the CL, not surprised he made a mess in this big cup tie and his "character" is well overstated. But all of that is fine as long as he doesn't use pathetic insults like he appears to have.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
You disagree?
Not in principle, no. I do disagree with the many who were saying he needs to improve his CL knock out record to get respect. From my recollection, he has barely had the opportunity. He hadn’t player in it before United, and he was only here two years, and off the top of my head I’m going to assume we were only in the CL for one of those. Inter didn’t make the CL knock-out either. They did make the EL final though, and he scored in every game up until and including the final. He also got a brace in Paris, a famous night in which I feel his contribution is massively overlooked. His lack of CL footy is, in his personal case, offset to an extent with the profile that comes with his international record. Scoring goals at that level has always held huge prestige, especially of it is for a glamour nation like his.

In any case, without wanting to have this conversation again in its entirety - my general point is that he doesn’t get his dues for what he HAS done. Not that he has done something that he hasn’t. What he has done as a centre forward in football deserves more respect than being universally seen as some sort of joke, reduced to memes of first-touches and the rest as if he is some random second-rate striker. I’ve always found it a bit distasteful personally, although while he was here there were times I’d lost my rag with him too admittedly.

I also couldn’t care less about the mitigation that many have provided to me about ‘it’s only because he was a dick when he left us’. To me, it’s like the Pogba hate in that I feel it is being clung to disproportionately to give legitimisation to a more irrational dislike that began way before Lukaku’s post-United comments, or in Pogba’s case - his agent’s. Now he’s said some shit we can come out freely and shit on him for 200 pages, at least we can claim justification. As I said earlier, I found the tone towards Lukaku before he left us to be rather distasteful, so long before this validation that has been presented. The night in Paris was a perfect example. I can’t say I felt Lukaku was particularly celebrated on here for his role, in the way another player would have been. Praise was muted, and generally, that connection has never seemed to be there between him and the fans - similarly to Pogba and many of our fans. Certain comments, in both cases, came later and allowed an opportunity to say that ‘it’s all because of x’.

I appreciate that this is England, and Harry Kane is English, but I recall a period in their career while he was at Everton where they had very comparable achievements and records. I just think he’s always been a little under celebrated and a little villanised. Few people are openly honest enough to just admit ‘meanness’ to another, so there will always be a validation that they cling to to justify their behaviour, but for me, I just compare really, and I don’t think the attitudes applied to Lukaku would be applied to others in similar circumstances. I feel similarly about Pogba, but it is ultimately just a view.

This is something that is a futile conversation anyway, as I’d never expect agreement with it. Even if I am right, I don’t think many are honest or aware enough of themselves to notice or admit it, so they would say, and believe, that it is not the case. And perhaps they are right. For my part, I feel I have somewhat heightened sensitivity to such nuances and it sticks out to me quickly when I see what I believe to be different attitudes/treatment amongst certain players. I do feel some are held to higher standards in order to earn 'affection’ so to speak. I mentioned Andy Cole as another example earlier in this thread. He’s another very under-celebrated player in PL history, despite quietly having sat in the top 3, (mostly top 2) PL goal scorers of all time. Some may see it as normal or harmless, but I’ve had a million conversations in my life that makes me quickly identify these situations and I know that it isn’t lost on Mr Cole either as I’ve heard him say as much himself.

Trust me, I was hesitant to even mention the racial angle. Naturally, everyone dismissed it, as I expected, and it is not easy to prove given the absence of racial language. But the underlying ‘son, remember you have to do twice as much’ that gets told to all of us as kids is to me, quickly identified as applicable in Lukaku’s case. As I said, he’ll likely retire with over 400 top flight career goals and then quietly drift away from relevance and would have spent most of his career being laughed at and made jokes on, when he himself, would rightly think he was a top class striker and have the record to support it.

Apologies for essay.

The Mitcher

connoisseur of pot noodles and sandwiches
Nonsensical argument.

The Mitcher from redcafe is a cannibal. Since I've said it, if you deny it, it's your word against mine. So, you never know. I mean, where's the proof that it's not true?!
Again, it's a he said he said situation over a phonecall. What do you want me to say? That your opinion is right? It's an opinion, and other than a person's word, there's no actual fact to back it up. Lukakku was meant to take the guy to court but didn't, so it's a he said he said.

AFC NimbleThumb

Not in principle, no. I do disagree with the many who were saying he needs to improve his CL knock out record to get respect. From my recollection, he has barely had the opportunity. He hadn’t player in it before United, and he was only here two years, and off the top of my head I’m going to assume we were only in the CL for one of those. Inter didn’t make the CL knock-out either. They did make the EL final though, and he scored in every game up until and including the final. He also got a brace in Paris, a famous night in which I feel his contribution is massively overlooked. His lack of CL footy is, in his personal case, offset to an extent with the profile that comes with his international record. Scoring goals at that level has always held huge prestige, especially of it is for a glamour nation like his.

In any case, without wanting to have this conversation again in its entirety - my general point is that he doesn’t get his dues for what he HAS done. Not that he has done something that he hasn’t. What he has done as a centre forward in football deserves more respect than being universally seen as some sort of joke, reduced to memes of first-touches and the rest as if he is some random second-rate striker. I’ve always found it a bit distasteful personally, although while he was here there were times I’d lost my rag with him too admittedly.

I also couldn’t care less about the mitigation that many have provided to me about ‘it’s only because he was a dick when he left us’. To me, it’s like the Pogba hate in that I feel it is being clung to disproportionately to give legitimisation to a more irrational dislike that began way before Lukaku’s post-United comments, or in Pogba’s case - his agent’s. Now he’s said some shit we can come out freely and shit on him for 200 pages, at least we can claim justification. As I said earlier, I found the tone towards Lukaku before he left us to be rather distasteful, so long before this validation that has been presented. The night in Paris was a perfect example. I can’t say I felt Lukaku was particularly celebrated on here for his role, in the way another player would have been. Praise was muted, and generally, that connection has never seemed to be there between him and the fans - similarly to Pogba and many of our fans. Certain comments, in both cases, came later and allowed an opportunity to say that ‘it’s all because of x’.

I appreciate that this is England, and Harry Kane is English, but I recall a period in their career while he was at Everton where they had very comparable achievements and records. I just think he’s always been a little under celebrated and a little villanised. Few people are openly honest enough to just admit ‘meanness’ to another, so there will always be a validation that they cling to to justify their behaviour, but for me, I just compare really, and I don’t think the attitudes applied to Lukaku would be applied to others in similar circumstances. I feel similarly about Pogba, but it is ultimately just a view.

This is something that is a futile conversation anyway, as I’d never expect agreement with it. Even if I am right, I don’t think many are honest or aware enough of themselves to notice or admit it, so they would say, and believe, that it is not the case. And perhaps they are right. For my part, I feel I have somewhat heightened sensitivity to such nuances and it sticks out to me quickly when I see what I believe to be different attitudes/treatment amongst certain players. I do feel some are held to higher standards in order to earn 'affection’ so to speak. I mentioned Andy Cole as another example earlier in this thread. He’s another very under-celebrated player in PL history, despite quietly having sat in the top 3, (mostly top 2) PL goal scorers of all time. Some may see it as normal or harmless, but I’ve had a million conversations in my life that makes me quickly identify these situations and I know that it isn’t lost on Mr Cole either as I’ve heard him say as much himself.

Trust me, I was hesitant to even mention the racial angle. Naturally, everyone dismissed it, as I expected, and it is not easy to prove given the absence of racial language. But the underlying ‘son, remember you have to do twice as much’ that gets told to all of us as kids is to me, quickly identified as applicable in Lukaku’s case. As I said, he’ll likely retire with over 400 top flight career goals and then quietly drift away from relevance and would have spent most of his career being laughed at and made jokes on, when he himself, would rightly think he was a top class striker and have the record to support it.

Apologies for essay.
A number of good topics hit upon here. Great post. Thank you.

Andersonson

Yet martial played better up top last season that he ever achieved in a Utd shirt. Grow up.
No need to take it personal. I know you're a huge fan and a fan not, but Martial has never scored as much as Lukaku. That aint a lie. Its just the way it is.

I've never said Lukaku is way better, i've said he scores more goals.

You should check up on stats before repyling to them, junior

Nevilles.Wear.Prada

Supports
JDT

Apologies for essay.
Just wanted to add the way he carried himself on and off the pitch didn't help his case. We don't hate ADM or sanzhez as much as this guy despite his superior contribution. And that is his own doing. He left the club and couldn't just let us go in the interviews. He should have been a professional like most footballers who left the club and just stfu. But no, he had to take jibes at us at every opportunity and the kakuboys are suddenly so surprised manutd fans responded in kind?! Well feck that donkey. This is tribalism, he is a professional and what did these guys expect? Feck em.

Ps. Great post btw.

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
First he couldn't control a ball and now he cant control himself. I don't know what was said. Probably some trash talking. It happens every game. So think the players will regret it. Just frustration bubbling over.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
If what Cavani has written on social media is racism then Zlatan has been a racist.

Whether he knows about it or not doesn't really matter. It's how its viewed by everyone else.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Just wanted to add the way he carried himself on and off the pitch didn't help his case. We don't hate ADM or sanzhez as much as this guy despite his superior contribution. And that is his own doing. He left the club and couldn't just let us go in the interviews. He should have been a professional like most footballers who left the club and just stfu. But no, he had to take jibes at us at every opportunity and the kakuboys are suddenly so surprised manutd fans responded in kind?! Well feck that donkey. This is tribalism, he is a professional and what did these guys expect? Feck em.

Ps. Great post btw.
I don’t begrudge reds having bad feeling to him following the fallout from his transfer. But let’s not pretend he was sole sort of favourite before that who had soured things. My issue is more with the attitude fans had towards him while he was here. He was a laughing stock, and I think he deserved a bit more respect than that personally. Then I think football fans, on the whole, haven’t really respected his achievements throughout his career, and I can’t help but think most strikers that have scored nearly 300 goals by 27 would probably have a different narrative about them. I agree that he can be strong headed himself at times, but I can’t help think that he’s always on the attack because he’s always being slighted and second guessed.

But I repeat, I don’t begrudge any United fans for having an issue with him speaking down on the club following his departure. That is logical. In and of itself, I think that’s cool, but on a wider note, I think the response to it is a bit excessive, and coupled with how he was generally spoken of while he was here and before any such comments, I can’t help but feel the comments themselves are being hidden behind a little bit, even if only subconsciously.

P.S - thank you btw!

amolbhatia50k

Again, it's a he said he said situation over a phonecall. What do you want me to say? That your opinion is right? It's an opinion, and other than a person's word, there's no actual fact to back it up. Lukakku was meant to take the guy to court but didn't, so it's a he said he said.
Well, that's up to you if you want to be the kind of chap who believes just any disparaging comment made about someone no matter how absurd ridiculous as it sounds, but I wouldn't. Are you a Ibrahmovic fan by any chance?

7even

Resident moaner, hypocrite and moron
If what Cavani has written on social media is racism then Zlatan has been a racist.

Whether he knows about it or not doesn't really matter. It's how its viewed by everyone else.
Honestly?

If you think the thing Zlatan said is racism then the great Mohammad Ali would probably end up in deep trouble after his fight against Floyd Patterson. I don’t know your age but if you’re what I believe and a young man from this easily offended new generation then don’t feel stupid if you have to google his name in order to understand context.

On a serious note I really hate racism with passion.

On every level and in any form but sometimes some accusations goes too far. If we start to call everything we don’t like or agree with racism then sooner or later it will create more damage then good to all of those who really being downgraded by comments relating to their skin or ethnicity.

Zlatan has his flaws, is cocky and a bully but to label him a racist in that context because he mention the word “voodoo” and called Lukaku a donkey is counter productive. In context then Lukaku’s comments when he threaten to kill Zlatan and rape the mother of Zlatans child is far worse if you want to take that road.

If you judge Zlatan comments by what you (or others) views as racism then you have to accept that others do the same with the donkey, sorry I mean Lukaku. So ask yourself if you’re willing to trade and take a cheap shot against a man you probably don’t like against some serious accusations from Lukaku that can easily end up in court if proven being said with serious intentions. Lukaku was acting like a crazy man and uses some very serious threats in front of the camera, people around him even tried to hold him back and stop this mad mans anger.

Maybe you should be careful with your wishes.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Honestly?

If you think the thing Zlatan said is racism then the great Mohammad Ali would probably end up in deep trouble after his fight against Floyd Patterson. I don’t know your age but if you’re what I believe and a young man from this easily offended new generation then don’t feel stupid if you have to google his name in order to understand context.

On a serious note I really hate racism with passion.

On every level and in any form but sometimes some accusations goes too far. If we start to call everything we don’t like or agree with racism then sooner or later it will create more damage then good to all of those who really being downgraded by comments relating to their skin or ethnicity.

Zlatan has his flaws, is cocky and a bully but to label him a racist in that context because he mention the word “voodoo” and called Lukaku a donkey is counter productive. In context then Lukaku’s comments when he threaten to kill Zlatan and rape the mother of Zlatans child is far worse if you want to take that road.

If you judge Zlatan comments by what you (or others) views as racism then you have to accept that others do the same with the donkey, sorry I mean Lukaku. So ask yourself if you’re willing to trade and take a cheap shot against a man you probably don’t like against some serious accusations from Lukaku that can easily end up in court if proven being said with serious intentions. Lukaku was acting like a crazy man and uses some very serious threats in front of the camera, people around him even tried to hold him back and stop this mad mans anger.

Maybe you should be careful with your wishes.
This is what I mean, it matters how what people say is viewed; be that me, you or Zlatan. You thought I was outright calling Zlatan a racist when I was merely questioning what the FA did with Cavani.

I dont think Cavani was a racist and from the little highlights of what Zlatan said neither do i think he is a racist. However, the FA banned Cavani for saying something racist that had no racist intention.

How is it any different for Zlatan? Shouldn't he have to take lessons for understanding why his "voodoo" quote can be viewed as racism?

Verbalkint

Did Zlatan really Tell Lukaku he'd give him 500 EUR every time he got his first touch right?? I see so many people laughing about that on Twitter but wasn't sure that actually happened :)

Shiva87

Apologies for essay.
I read that whole essay and had to comment.

I don't think it's the confirmation bias, and retrospective justification thing that you believe it is.

I was a big Lukaku fan when he was at Everton, and wished we signed him. But - I have lost all love for him since he signed for us. His attitude, his interviews, the why he behaved like the 'big man' but was always playing a blame game (it's never his fault), talking about how his Belgium team is better than his United team, etc etc, just put me off him.

Didn't help that he was an automatic starter for Jose, and was instrumental in the dressing room divide that got created. He spoke big about taking responsibility but let the team down in big moments.

The worst was how he left the club. Ole came in and told him he will have to fight for his place, and soon enough he was in Ole's cabin asking to leave. As if he had a divine right to be United's no. 9.

His podcast / hour long United bashing session after he left was the icing on the cake. I guess there is a reason him and Pogba were best friends before United but don't seem to be that any longer.

After all this, I don't wish badly for him but I will definitely have a laugh at all his misfortunes!

Just to clarify. I think Lukaku is a poor footballer. He was average at United. You don’t pay £75-90m for someone that scores 16, and then 12 league goals.

You don’t pay that amount of money for someone who can’t even keep himself fit. He’s fitness was shocking, and frankly laughable. That’s all on him. Then the way he talked about the club and disrespected it, whilst he was hear and since he’s left - so many examples.

he doesn’t deserve my respect. I can’t and won’t speak for other fans - but my opinion has nothing to do with race. He’s just a player that was never good enough, and a man that doesn’t have the mentality to play for a top club.

#grownassman

Achilles McCool

Just to clarify. I think Lukaku is a poor footballer. He was average at United. You don’t pay £75-90m for someone that scores 16, and then 12 league goals.

You don’t pay that amount of money for someone who can’t even keep himself fit. He’s fitness was shocking, and frankly laughable. That’s all on him. Then the way he talked about the club and disrespected it, whilst he was hear and since he’s left - so many examples.

he doesn’t deserve my respect. I can’t and won’t speak for other fans - but my opinion has nothing to do with race. He’s just a player that was never good enough, and a man that doesn’t have the mentality to play for a top club.

#grownassman
Great post, and I couldn’t agree with you more!
Let’s get #GrownAssMan trending:lol:

Feed Me

I'm hungry
People are calling Zlatan a racist based on amateur lip reading. I don’t even know why this is such a massive issue. You’ve all only made anything of it because there’s no crowd. There’s this sort of needle on football pitches all the time. The proof will be in the pudding, I guess. I can’t imagine Romelu would stay quiet if there’s been foul play.

Andersonson

#grownassman
Well we got our money back and he's been very good in Italy and for other clubs. Just didnt fit us.

But I agree with you, for that kind of fee he was bad for us. Its the same with Martial though insane transfer fee at the time and best season is 15 goals and now 2.

We've had a striker problem for a long time

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Doubt Lukaku really cares much, Zlatan and Milan capitulated whilst Inter went and knocked Milan out with Lukaku playing a vital part.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
People are calling Zlatan a racist based on amateur lip reading. I don’t even know why this is such a massive issue. You’ve all only made anything of it because there’s no crowd. There’s this sort of needle on football pitches all the time. The proof will be in the pudding, I guess. I can’t imagine Romelu would stay quiet if there’s been foul play.
Wait, this sort of thing happens all the time?

Did you see Lukaku's reaction last nigh?

Feed Me

I'm hungry
Wait, this sort of thing happens all the time?

Did you see Lukaku's reaction last nigh?
Everyone is overreacting because there was no crowd so we got a rare glimpse into the players taking pot shots.

It’s all fairly standard ‘locker room’ fare in my mind and people should probably hold their horses on making accusations about racial slurs based on what they think they heard.

I know not rushing to judgement is hard in this day and age though...

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
I’ll hold my hands up and say I can’t stand him as a personality or as a footballer. I have never in all my time watching Utd watched a striker so poor at the fundamentals of the game. His touch, passing, technique, vision were all miles below the standards of a top player. I would watch him game after game ruining attacks and single handedly making it painful to watch Utd. To top that off, he has a cult like following which is based on an entirely reductive argument which looks purely as his goals scored as if that’s the only thing that makes a striker. Goals scored are important, but I’d argue the fundamentals of a footballer such as basic technique are far more vital for a top team.

To make matters worse Lukaku is clearly one of the most thin skinned footballers of all time. He’s quick to try and defend himself even with the indefensible and in the meantime he let himself get unfit, unmotivated which generally speaks to a level of unprofessionalism not seen in the elite bracket of strikers. Can’t understand why there’s so many Utd fans that flock in and defend his attitude after the way he treated the club. Di Maria has never been defended the same way.

arnie_ni

I really don't know whats racist and what isn't anymore. It feels like everything is some sort of "ist" or "ism" these days.

I would never have associated that story with racism. I just wouldn't have made the connection