Romelu Lukaku | Mourinho Part III | Roma watch

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Game was basically done since it was the last game of the season and nothing to play for.
It obviously wasn’t ‘basically done’ if it required 3 fecking goals in the last 10 minutes for it to end in a draw was it?

I must say that this particular attempt to discredit a hat-trick (by a teenager playing for West Brom no less) against the Champions in a game they’d have been desperate to win for obvious reasons (so disagree with your ‘nothing to play for’) is a little embarrassing.

When compiling your list you may as well have removed it altogether then, because it almost ‘doesn’t count’ the way you are pitching it.

GifLord

Better at GIFs than posts
It obviously wasn’t ‘basically done’ if it required 3 fecking goals in the last 10 minutes for it to end in a draw was it?

I must say that this particular attempt to discredit a hat-trick (by a teenager playing for West Brom no less) against the Champions in a game they’d have been desperate to win for obvious reasons (so disagree with your ‘nothing to play for’) is a little embarrassing.

When compiling your list you may as well have removed it altogether then, because it almost ‘doesn’t count’ the way you are pitching it.
So that's what's bothering you?
Not the fact that he hasn't been scoring regularly against top 4 - 5 -6 or whatever it is as you were claiming?
He's scored less than 15 goals against top 4 despite playing over 40 matches against these teams

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
So that's what's bothering you?
Not the fact that he hasn't been scoring regularly against top 4 - 5 -6 or whatever it is as you were claiming?
He's scored less than 15 goals against top 4 despite playing over 40 matches against these teams
No, I asked you in my initial post whether you listing all the goals he had scored against the top 4 (not the top 6 clubs as I had initially mentioned) was supposed to be some sort of evidence that he was not scoring goals against the bug 6 clubs? You didn’t answer.

I was genuinely confused that you seemed to think listing a number of goals was some sort of rebuttal. I said he scored a lot of goals, and you simply helped me by itemising them. Not sure what your actual point was, as you never gave one, you just listed the goals.

It was in dissecting the ridiculousness and clear bias of your post that I used your take on the 5-5 game as evidence.

NicolaSacco

Supports
Ipswich
I would want to see this list to only include games against top 4 clubs in the league or QF or above in cup competitions. I am guessing that he wouldn't be doing so well on that list.
When Inter got to the final of the Europa league recently he scored in the last 16 and in the quarter final, then twice in the semifinal and then once again in the final, and was voted best player in the tournament to be fair to him! But yeah it’s the Europa league so not the same kudos as the CL.
Given that he spent 5 or 6 years at Everton and West Brom I’d imagine he played very little in Europe in that time. I seem to remember he scored 2 away at PSG (and one at home maybe?) in the knockout stages of the CL though, although most here only seem to remember Rashford’s penalty, not Lukaku’s brace which I think tells its own story. And I think in his other season at Man Utd you weren’t even in the CL so he can hardly be blamed for not scoring! No idea what his record is like in domestic cups but I can’t remember anything special.

NicolaSacco

Supports
Ipswich
Are you really comparing Lukaku with Ronaldo9? With Baggio, Totti and Del Piero? :lol:

They played when the Italian league was the best in the world - last season Immobile was the top scorer in Serie A; the season before, a 36 year old Quagliarela.
I was comparing their goals per game, I think that was quite clear in my post, apologies if it was not obvious.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
You could show me all the stats in the world, I watched him with my own eyes for my own club for two years and I couldn’t wait to see the back of him.

Good on him taking the top scorer records from the stars before him in Serie A

United in sin

Most of these played in the days when serie A was renowned for being defensive. Put prime Ronaldo Lima in serie A now and he'd probably destroy it
It's still renowned for being defensive. Cristiano Ronaldo has said its the toughest league he's played in

GifLord

No, I asked you in my initial post whether you listing all the goals he had scored against the top 4 (not the top 6 clubs as I had initially mentioned) was supposed to be some sort of evidence that he was not scoring goals against the bug 6 clubs? You didn’t answer.

I was genuinely confused that you seemed to think listing a number of goals was some sort of rebuttal. I said he scored a lot of goals, and you simply helped me by itemising them. Not sure what your actual point was, as you never gave one, you just listed the goals.

It was in dissecting the ridiculousness and clear bias of your post that I used your take on the 5-5 game as evidence.
Oh boy...
He never scored a lot even if you include top 6 - 7.

Lukaku vs top 8
2012-13 - 5
2013-14 - 5
2014-15 - 0
2015-16 - 6
2016-17 - 4
2017-18 - 2
2018-19 - 0
That's over 60 games in 7 seasons and only 22 goals to show for against TOP 8 teams in EPL
Not For Everyone i guess

NicolaSacco

Supports
Ipswich
Oh boy...

Lukaku vs top 8
2012-13 - 5
2013-14 - 5
2014-15 - 0
2015-16 - 6
2016-17 - 4
2017-18 - 2
2018-19 - 0
That's over 60 games in 7 seasons and only 22 goals to show for against TOP 8 teams in EPL
Not For Everyone i guess
That’s a 0.36 strike rate, better than Rashford’s record in all competitions including multiple games against lower league sides in the cup and random European minnows and Premiership relegation fodder. I’m not sure you’ve really proved much with that data.

GifLord

That’s a 0.36 strike rate, better than Rashford’s record in all competitions including multiple games against lower league sides in the cup and random European minnows and Premiership relegation fodder. I’m not sure you’ve really proved much with that data.
And Rashford is a striker?

edit: here's Rashford
2015-16 4
2016-17 1
2017-18 3
2018-19 1
2019-20 9

Last edited:

mariachi-19

I may be the devil, but i'm not a monster
You've proved your opinion on this isn't worth reading. One is an established striker, the other is a young developing inside forward/winger. Think before you post in the mains.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Still going round in circles. It’s just people who can’t look past a basic number vs people who can actually see what a player contributes to the team with their eyes at this point.

Similar people who buzzed off Pogba when he offered so little over the years, but had a decent number of assists. Recently he’s actually contributed more to our football and performed well throughout games, and lo and behold, it’s much better for us.

mariachi-19

I may be the devil, but i'm not a monster
You could show me all the stats in the world, I watched him with my own eyes for my own club for two years and I couldn’t wait to see the back of him.

Good on him taking the top scorer records from the stars before him in Serie A
If he was playing in Serie A from 90's to mid 00's, he'd have been chased out by now. Not even on the same page to many of the greats on the Serie A charts and thats when Defenders in that league were the best in the world.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Yeah because starting the game and coming on as a sub is same.

Rashford averages around 190 mins per goal in his career, if we include goals + assists it will be even better. His record in big games is very good too, there is a thread dedicated for that.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Oh boy...

Lukaku vs top 8
2012-13 - 5
2013-14 - 5
2014-15 - 0
2015-16 - 6
2016-17 - 4
2017-18 - 2
2018-19 - 0
Not For Everyone i guess
I said before he joined United. And scoring 4-6 goals a season against the best teams is not fecking evidence of not scoring against the best teams! How many should he score against that group of teams? 10 a season? His record is not even close to being a record to be used as evidence of being a flat track bully. These are games his team typically would lose and would not go into as favourites. His record is respectable.

He scored just over 100 goals in PL football altogether. To have 20% of total goals against the better teams is not a point to ridicule. What exactly should the percentage be?

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Still going round in circles. It’s just people who can’t look past a basic number vs people who can actually see what a player contributes to the team with their eyes at this point.

Similar people who buzzed off Pogba when he offered so little over the years, but had a decent number of assists. Recently he’s actually contributed more to our football and performed well throughout games, and lo and behold, it’s much better for us.
Sounds like an oxymoron.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Yeah because starting the game and coming on as a sub is same.

Rashford averages around 190 mins per goal in his career, if we include goals + assists it will be even better. His record in big games is very good too, there is a thread dedicated for that.
Just to add to my previous point.

His record in all competition (Not even sure if he started in all games)

GamesGoalsAssists
Chelsea
12​
5​
3​
City
10​
4​
Liverpool
9​
4​
1​
Arsenal
8​
2​
2​
Spurs
6​
3​
Total
45​
18​
6​

In PL

GamesGoalsAssists
Arsenal
8​
2​
2​
City
7​
3​
0​
Chelsea
7​
3​
2​
Spurs
6​
3​
0​
Liverpool
6​
3​
0​
Total
34​
14​
4​

So that's 2.3 games per goal in all competitions and 2.4 games per goals in PL (0.4 goals per game) and this is excluding assists.

Threesus

He was pretty terrible In his last year with us and we made a decision to part ways. I am sure lukaku is enjoying his time in Italy right now. And if Martial played like he was supposed to, we wouldn’t be having any problems. It is what it is. We just have to bring in a good striker this summer.

United in sin

If that statement were remotely true than all the top teams would be battling it out for his signature and not Haaland or Mbape.
Im speaking in terms of his goal scoring record this season and how it compares to other forwards across the big leagues. He's absolutely one of the leading strikers in this respect.

InterFan1998

Supports
Internazionale
Romelu “Big game” Lukaku has scored against:

Manchester United
Manchester City
Liverpool
Arsenal
Tottenham
Chelsea
Everton
Leicester
Real Madrid
Barcelona
Sevilla
Milan
Lazio
Roma
Napoli
PSG
Currently Juventus is the only big team he hasn’t scored against. Unreal player :)

GifLord

Manchester United
Manchester City
Liverpool
Arsenal
Tottenham
Chelsea
Everton
Leicester
Real Madrid
Barcelona
Sevilla
Milan
Lazio
Roma
Napoli
PSG
Currently Juventus is the only big team he hasn’t scored against. Unreal player :)
He sure did well in big games for Inter last season and this one. He didn't choke did he? Oh wait..

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Compared to the likes of Kane, obviously. I never said he was the second coming of fat Ronaldo, I just hate it when people underrate him to the point where he's apparently not even good enough for Aston Villa
Exactly. People hate him and underrated him for no good reason. Surely technically he was not up to it, but in terms of goalscoring he has always been among the elites throughout his career.

England (PL+ cups)
12-13: 17 goals in 38 games
13-14: 16 goals in 33 games
14-15: 20 goals in 48 games
15-16: 25 goals in 46 games
16-17: 26 goals in 39 games
17-18: 27 goals in 51 games
18-19: 15 goals in 45 games

Italy (Serie A + cups)
19-20: 34 goals in 51 games
20-21: 23 goals in 30 games

Belgium (international)
57 goals in 89 games

InterFan1998

Supports
Internazionale
He sure did well in big games for Inter last season and this one. He didn't choke did he? Oh wait..
Much better this season. The last two games he was huge in getting Inter to 1st place. This Milan derby was probably the biggest derby in a decade.

ReallyUSA

Serie A still gets killed by Ibra and other older strikers. I am happy he is being successful, wish he left on better terms.

NotThatSoph

Exaggerating merely misses the point. You just wouldn't expect there to be a lot discussion given the circumstance.
Your point is silly, because the poster you replied to were obviously referencing the fact that this thread is getting bumped when Lukaku does poorly. Now he dominates Milan and people said nothing. It took a turn for the worse, though. Now, after Lukaku dominated in a big game the thread is populated by people talking about how he doesn't show up in big games.

Glad you dropped the stat padding line, though, that was pretty weak.

NotThatSoph

GifLord is something else.

Last year he was mocking Lukaku for his apparant lopsided distribution of goals, illustrated by his share of goals against top 6 teams. I went throught the top scorers in the top leagues, compiling a list showing that Lukaku's ratios was perfectly normal. Some players stood out in a positive way (Rashford) and some on a bad way (Messi), but Lukaku was pretty middle of the pack.

Just like that, on the second, the stat that GifLord himself picked out as a bad thing suddenly didn't matter anymore. It was just perfect dishonesty, Internet "debate" in its perfect form.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
The thing is Lukaku is a great striker.

However, it's almost like he plays in the wrong generation of football.

There was this time when all the Goalscorer had to do is simply put the ball in the back of the net. During this time the Number 10 in football was a very central player for creativity to play balls in to a striker like Lukaku.
Then there was the old school wingers- they would be holding the touchline and playing crosses in to the central striker.

Lukaku is best like a modern version of Inzaghi type forward because he cant play with inverted forwards, he cant control the ball that well - his game play effects the players around him. To get the best out of him he has to be the main and only man of the tactics.

How will Lukaku play with Ronaldo and Messi in the team? It will effect those players because apart from putting the ball in the net when he can - he isnt the best at getting the best out of the players around him.

Sylar

Just curious, do you see Ibrahimovic as a top striker? Because his record in Champions league knockouts is 10 goals in 40 games. He scored 0 knockout goals in his first 6 years of playing knockouts, playing 16 matches and scoring 0 goals.

In addition, 60% of his CL knockout goals have comes against Bayer Leverkusen, Arsenal, and Stuttgart, as a note.
I'll respond in the Zlatan thread

As this is the Lukaku thread, I turn it back,
Do you as an inter fan see lukaku as a top striker?

I know it's easy to do whataboutism to defend people, and I have no real feelings either way towards lukaku, but what are your thoughts on lukaku and his record against big teams ?

arnie_ni

Don't turn it around, I didn't make any outrageous claims. You said that no top 10 club in the PL would want him, which is clearly BS.
Well is it? None signed him last summer... you'll have a hard time proving what he said is BS

Just curious, what games matters? Because if goals against Lazio/Milan don't matter, then pretty much not a single games Inter plays in Serie A actually matters. The games against Lazio last week was a game where Inter could overtake Milan as 1st place in the league, so if that game didn't matter, why would any other game?

I'm also one of those fans that don't consider him special. I prefer Lautaro as he is more in the mould of player I prefer. Good technically, generally scores in big games, can dribble, etc. But the argument that Lukaku won't score goals or get assists in games that matter really doesn't make sense to me. And I'll ask the same question from before:

Do you consider Ibrahimovic a great striker, and does he score goals that matter? The reason I ask is:
- Ibrahimovic has never done anything relevant in CL knockouts. I would actually argue Lukaku's 2 goals in the PSG comeback is more than Ibra has ever done in CL knockouts, despite playing 40 games compared to Lukaku's 6 or so.
- if games such as Lazio (top 4 team last season, in CL top 16) or Milan derby don't matter, then that essentially means that Ibrahimovic has never scored a goal that matters.
The games that matter are the ones where you drop points otherwise. Would Inter have beaten Milan without him? Lazio? Yes they would. He scored the 3rd of against Milan and against Lazio the opening goal was a penalty won by Lautaro.

It's a sad fact that a half decent team will run riot in Serie A at the moment. Juventus are the only credible opponent and he hasn't scored a single goal against them.

Ibrahimovic? He's a great striker who has scored plenty against big teams. However, he's not as good as he thinks he is, and he's also 39. A 39 year old in the running for the Serie A Golden Boot (with a 36 year old currently leading it).

Paul_Scholes18

So much hate here. Funny as comedy, but sad that people can develop such extreme emotions over a player.

It might be the same for Lingard. Particular if he get top 4 for West Ham.

Last edited:

Mr Smith

I was comparing their goals per game, I think that was quite clear in my post, apologies if it was not obvious.
I think it's misleading to compare goals per games across eras as clearly the game has become more attacking and goals per game ratios generally have gone up.

mu4c_20le

Manchester United
Manchester City
Liverpool
Arsenal
Tottenham
Chelsea
Everton
Leicester
Real Madrid
Barcelona
Sevilla
Milan
Lazio
Roma
Napoli
PSG
Bet you'd trade any of those big team goals for just one against Shakhtar though :p

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
Always felt sorry for Hazard and De Bruyne when I watched Belgium on Euro and WC. Come knockout stages and you would struggle to find two more technically brilliant players then them and in peak of their careers, yet entering those decisive games they had to deal with him not being able to control, pass or even bully his defenders while all their effort behind him would mostly went to shit.

You can throw all the stats in the world, his general play is quite horrendous most of the time. Full of confidence when he is on a scoring run, a bit better must say, but still not good enough for a top club. He really is not for everyone.

Last edited:

dinostar77

Is the lukaku hatred because hes a ex-utd player? There are some myopic views on this thread. Some of the comments have been; Inter not being a big club. Zlatan wasnt rated in his younger years. Lukaku not good enough for the elite clubs. Myopic british views of players and teams based abroad.

Regardless of his time at Utd, hes a top striker, who puts the ball in the net. Goals win you games. He may not be everyones cup of tea but he gets goals. Goals against any opposition is important. He works on his game and often stays behind after training to do more work. Did that at Utd. He went to italy because he wanted to test himself in a different league and improve. Italy is still the toughest league to score in due to the defensive nature of the football and the league.

Take the ten of so biggest teams in europe: juventus, AC, Inter, Barca, Real, Atletico, PSG, Bayern, Man Utd, City, Liverpool, Chelsea. The only team you couldnt see lukaku playing for and starting for would be Barcelona and Real Madrid. Thats more to do with the type of football they play.

Would be interested to see what belgium and inter fans not on here think of him. Theres clearly a anti-lukaku agenda on here. Which is a shame as it would be nice to be able to dicuss him without prejudice and bias.

Idxomer

I'm not even sure what the arguments are about here anymore.

No one can doubt he's been great for Inter, he's their best player too especially this season. Conte created the perfect system for him and he has improved as a player from his time at United, both he and his manager are also exploiting the league's weaknesses. Mourinho's tactics weren't really playing to his strengths most of the time.

Would he have improved the United's team this season? Of course but that's a moot point because any good striker would too. He wouldn't look though as good as he does now in Inter and wouldn't fit as easily.

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
This Milan derby was probably the biggest derby in a decade.
Viewing numbers went through the roof.

Take the ten of so biggest teams in europe: juventus, AC, Inter, Barca, Real, Atletico, PSG, Bayern, Man Utd, City, Liverpool, Chelsea. The only team you couldnt see lukaku playing for and starting for would be Barcelona and Real Madrid. Thats more to do with the type of football they play.
Yeah, sure. :lol:

hubbuh

Anything can be spun. Lukaku has been scoring goals against the big 6 since he was on loan at West Brom, including a hat-trick against us no less, and scored goals for Everton against City, Chelsea, Arsenal and the like. Some very good goals in there too. A record against certain teams in a short 2 season window is a bullshit metric to try and assess a player who has played senior football for 10 years, but people are clutching at anything they can.
You've just spun the argument yourself! The point made was that for us (the collective us referring to United) he was a flat-track bully. How good a player does for another club in an entirely different context is arbitrary when debating a player's effectiveness for United. 23 games is a perfectly legitimate sample size to assess his performances. His renaissance in Italy doesn't steer away from the fact that for United he didn't cut the mustard. He's a good player that can score goals but he wasn't able to do it efficiently and consistently well enough for us. It really is as simple as that.