Romelu Lukaku | Mourinho Part III | Roma watch

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
I read an article on the BBC the other day which said Inter worked closely with him on his conditioning when he first joined. Makes sense really, he was well off it in that respect in his second season here.

I saw a post further up suggesting he would fare better at United in our current setup and I think that's probably true. Ultimately Inter is the right place for him though - a respectable team in a good league but not one with the pressures of a top Premier League side. It suits him well and doesn't have such high demands on good technical ability.
It just never ceases to amaze me how elite footballers aren't themselves experts on maintaining fitness already and apparently need close supervison from the club. I mean it's literally one the most important aspects of your career. Even without the clubs supervision you can hire the best fitness coaches and nutrionists avaible. I can understand the need for professional footballers to wind down and let go a bit in the summer though.

GifLord

Better at GIFs than posts
It just never ceases to amaze me how elite footballers aren't themselves experts on maintaining fitness already and apparently need close supervison from the club. I mean it's literally one the most important aspects of your career. Even without the clubs supervision you can hire the best fitness coaches and nutrionists avaible.
Lukaku believes he has made huge strides in terms of his mentality in recent seasons, culminating in a stellar campaign under Antonio Conte this year at Inter.
“I thought it was now or never for me when I turned 27,” the striker revealed.
“You can score 500 goals in your career but if you don’t win a title then it’s all pointless.
“I’ve improved with my back to goal thanks to a machine we use in training which fires balls at me at 30-40km/h, I have to direct them towards my teammates.
“Beforehand I was always a bit behind the defender marking me, now I’m two seconds ahead of them.
“It’ll never be my favourite kind of work but now I’m fulfulling a crucial role, a bit like Shaquille O’Neal in basketball.
Well at least conte knew about his limitations
Still funny that you have to train a player basically at his peak his first touch :lol:

cyberman

Inter have asked players and staff to forego wages, Conte hasnt talked to the press since so he could be on his way.

With the story about threatening to take Lukaku back a few months ago due to Inter being in finacial shit, doesnt this confirm it? #lukakuback

MalcolmTucker

Inter have asked players and staff to forego wages, Conte hasnt talked to the press since so he could be on his way.

With the story about threatening to take Lukaku back a few months ago due to Inter being in finacial shit, doesnt this confirm it? #lukakuback
Any story of us bringing back Lukaku is absolute nonsense.

Anyway, why would we want him back when we just signed Cavani to another year who is a better striker even at 34 years old? Lukaku's goalrecord is no better than other 'top' Serie A strikers such as Immobile or Muriel and I don't want either of those.

Anyway, why would we want him back when we just signed Cavani to another year who is a better striker even at 34 years old? Lukaku's goalrecord is no better than other 'top' Serie A strikers such as Immobile or Muriel and I don't want either of those.
I’m a massive critic of Lukaku and of his time here. I do however acknowledge he’s turned things around, and seems to have got rid of some of the appalling attitude problems he had. He’s clearly got fitter (his fitness was all down to him, not the propaganda that they promulgated…), he’s been scoring goals.

he was never the right forward for us, and he’s not the right forward now.

there’s close to zero chance of us ever going near him again.

he doesn’t like us, and we don’t like him.

spiriticon

He's done well in Italy but I don't miss him at all.

He'll always score plenty goals against shite teams, and when the defences in Italy are as shite as Roma's, it'll inflate his numbers.

ti vu

I don't want and don't think we and Lukaku want a reunion.

Cavani is doing well, but as it had shown, his injuries issue may derail his season. Even if you're happy with his contribution, he just missed too many games to be your starting forward. Cavani stays or not, we should always look at a starting forward for the future as Martial and Rashford are not suitable as no 9.

If Inter has to sell him to stay afloat, I wonder where he would end up? Inter definitely want a big fee for him, but pandemic, and his style would limit the option significantly.

Last edited:

tenpoless

Lukaku has pretty much shut down the chance to ever come back to United. He was bitter towards United after moving to Inter. He's like Moyes - the player version.

Markolan

Supports
AC Milan

(Rough translation)

The Best Overall Player of the 2020/2021 season was awarded to Inter Milan player Romelu Lukaku.

Among the main characteristics that allowed the Nerazzurri number 9 to excel over other great champions, the following data are highlighted:
- Technical Efficiency constantly in line with the European Top Players (95.1%);
- Athletic power with an average Physical Efficiency Index of 95.5% and peaks of 99%;
- Drags the team with an Offensive Aggressiveness of 98% and runs in every match almost 1 km above the threshold of high intensity (20 km/h);
- Among the best in the world in protecting the ball, enhances the characteristics and incursions of his teammates thanks to his ability to create space (K-Solution 94%);
- With 24 goals and 11 assists, he is the first player capable of reaching 20 goals and 10 assists in a single Serie A season since this data was collected (2004/05 season).

Congratulations Rom! Amazing season from him

Pow

Supports
Chelsea

(Rough translation)

The Best Overall Player of the 2020/2021 season was awarded to Inter Milan player Romelu Lukaku.

Among the main characteristics that allowed the Nerazzurri number 9 to excel over other great champions, the following data are highlighted:
- Technical Efficiency constantly in line with the European Top Players (95.1%);
- Athletic power with an average Physical Efficiency Index of 95.5% and peaks of 99%;
- Drags the team with an Offensive Aggressiveness of 98% and runs in every match almost 1 km above the threshold of high intensity (20 km/h);
- Among the best in the world in protecting the ball, enhances the characteristics and incursions of his teammates thanks to his ability to create space (K-Solution 94%);
- With 24 goals and 11 assists, he is the first player capable of reaching 20 goals and 10 assists in a single Serie A season since this data was collected (2004/05 season).

Congratulations Rom! Amazing season from him
I'd take him.

Paul_Scholes18

If we sell Martial he will turn into a star too. We are not great as a club to get the best out of most players post SAF. Every manager has really failed in that regard. The only player that has performed at peak level is Bruno I think.

Is it the pressure to play for us?
man management/tactics?
Poor coaching?
Poor team building/balance?

I think it is probably a mix.

CM10

Lukaku is a great goalscorer and has definitely stepped up a level since he signed for Inter but he's still not quite at the level of the players he talks about there.

I don't know if he has the mentality to make that last step either. He certainly has a chip on his shoulder but I don't know if he channels it in the right way to be very top level - he didn't react particularly well to adversity here.

JanK

Supports
Napoli
Lukaku is a great goalscorer and has definitely stepped up a level since he signed for Inter but he's still not quite at the level of the players he talks about there.

I don't know if he has the mentality to make that last step either. He certainly has a chip on his shoulder but I don't know if he channels it in the right way to be very top level - he didn't react particularly well to adversity here.
I actually feel that his confidence has improved vastly. In Inter, he has slimmed down and is back to his best condition. Also, he has won Scudetto and been a success in Italy. I won't be surprised if he scores a brace against Portugal and leads the nation to SF or even finals.

Markolan

Supports
AC Milan
He's a very good striker but if you want to be considered a world-class player then it's not enough how much good you are in the league. Just look at Jamie Vardy or Gerard Moreno.

We'll talk again when he starts scoring fundamental goals in the UEFA Champions League and/or in the EURO 20202 KO stage.. So far In the most important game played in the last couple of years, he was decisive.... for Sevilla

hellhunter

Eurofighter
Supports
Karlsruher SC
He's a very good striker but if you want to be considered a world-class player then it's not enough how much good you are in the league. Just look at Jamie Vardy or Gerard Moreno.

We'll talk again when he starts scoring fundamental goals in the UEFA Champions League and/or in the EURO 20202 KO stage.. So far In the most important game played in the last couple of years, he was decisive.... for Sevilla
Vardy is the ultimate big game scorer

CM10

I actually feel that his confidence has improved vastly. In Inter, he has slimmed down and is back to his best condition. Also, he has won Scudetto and been a success in Italy. I won't be surprised if he scores a brace against Portugal and leads the nation to SF or even finals.
I think that's fair. Dropping the weight and working with Conte has done wonders for him.

I was referencing more how he deals with criticism. At United he said he wanted to leave early on and felt he was scapegoated but did little to turn that situation around himself. Perhaps he was a little unfortunate Mourinho used him as a target man and exposed the flaws in his game but Lukaku also conducted himself poorly and that's reflected in the general feeling towards him here.

I'd like to see him do well for the rest of the tournament though. Portugal will be a good test for him, if he can get a couple of goals there he'd be doing very well.

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
Lukaku can score all the goals he wants, I still wouldn't take him at United. He has a poor attitude and is a flat track bully. He has an absolutely shocking record against the big teams. Playing the way he is in Italy is different to playing in the PL. It's no surprise he is better in a worse league.

He has a terrible first touch, and is not a very good footballer. He is a goal scorer and that's really it.

United started to play better as soon as he left, so it's worked well for both parties.

sokol11

"Best K player" in Serie A couldn't do shit today. This is his standard clutch time performance. Will never be top tier.

InfiniteBoredom

None of Serie A top scorers have covered themselves in glory this tournament. Lukaku certainly didn’t help his case when it comes to big games though.