Romelu Lukaku | Mourinho Part III | Roma watch

There’s no doubting he’s a great player. But just not for United. A bit like Jose.
There’s incredible doubt about him being a great player, in fact he’s not. It’s not that he just didn’t work out for Utd, like Di Maria as an example.

Would be interesting to get the opinion of inter fans, and see what they thinking him?

NotThatSoph

70% of his goals last season came against bottom 10 teams but sure keep going on with the stat padder.
65 % actually, not 70 %. Same as Immobile from the same league, and about the same as Suarez, Mane and Salah. At 70 % you'll find Sterling and Sancho, while we have to up it to 75 % to find Auba and Messi. Haaland ended up with 77 for his Dortmund stint, while maybe surprisingly the ultimate flat track bully is Vardy with 78 %.

At the other end Neymar and Ben Yedder only scored 40 % of their goals against the bottom 10, but then Neymar hardly played at all. Rashford, Martial and Benzema did around 50/50, while Ronaldo and Kane scored 55 % of their goals against the bottom 10.

I was bored and counted manually, so make room for some errors, but you wanted to talk about percentages to show stat padding, yeah?

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
65 % actually, not 70 %. Same as Immobile from the same league, and about the same as Suarez, Mane and Salah. At 70 % you'll find Sterling and Sancho, while we have to up it to 75 % to find Auba and Messi. Haaland ended up with 77 for his Dortmund stint, while maybe surprisingly the ultimate flat track bully is Vardy with 78 %.

At the other end Neymar and Ben Yedder only scored 40 % of their goals against the bottom 10, but then Neymar hardly played at all. Rashford, Martial and Benzema did around 50/50, while Ronaldo and Kane scored 55 % of their goals against the bottom 10.

I was bored and counted manually, so make room for some errors, but you wanted to talk about percentages to show stat padding, yeah?
Impressive stat collection there, and really does highlight the myth that some people think of Lukaku.
Given the choice of someone scoring 15 goals but only against the top 6, or scoring 25 goals against everyone else, I'd always take the 25. Some on here would obviously take the 15, swings and roundabouts.

I question this, especially with Vardy. It’s interesting where you put the split, at top 10/ bottom 10. Because if you look at Lukaku record a against scoring against the top 6, which is a solitary goal across two seasons - and that may have even been in the cup, it was Chelsea if I remember rightly. Then:

1/28 goals is means less than 5% of his goals come against the top third (or thereabouts) clubs.

That’s shocking, and compared to Vardy will be vastly different.

When is a goal not a goal?

When you’re trying to show bias against a certain player?
No one is debating that he can’t score against poor teams.

But if you spend £75-90m on a striker you firstly want a better return that he gave us in the league, and secondly you want a striker to have an impact against the top teams.

NotThatSoph

I question this, especially with Vardy. It’s interesting where you put the split, at top 10/ bottom 10. Because if you look at Lukaku record a against scoring against the top 6, which is a solitary goal across two seasons - and that may have even been in the cup, it was Chelsea if I remember rightly. Then:

1/28 goals is means less than 5% of his goals come against the top third (or thereabouts) clubs.

That’s shocking, and compared to Vardy will be vastly different.
Question all you like:

2 goals against Bournemouth matchday 4, 2 against Newcastle day 7, 3 against Southampton on day 10, 1 against Palace the round after that, one each against Brighton and Everton on day 13 and 14, then 1 against Watford and 2 against Villa. 2 against Villa again on day 16, 2 against Palace round 33 and 1 against Bournemouth on round 35.

That's 18 goals out of his 23 total. The final five came against Sheffield, Burnley, Arsenalx2 and City.

I chose top/bottom 10 because that's the stat that was used to show how Lukaku is padding, you prefer top 6:

• Lukaku scored 3 in 10. Total 23/36.
  • Ben Yedder 10 in 8. Total 18/26.
  • Rashford 7 in 7. Total 17/31.
  • Ronaldo 7 in 8. Total 31/33.
  • Benzema 6 in 10. Total 21/37.
  • Immobile 5 in 9. Total 36/37.
  • Kane 4 in 7. Total 18/29.
  • Martial 4 in 8. Total 17/32.
  • Auba 4 in 11. Total 22/36.
  • Messi 3 in 8. Total 25/33.
  • Salah 3 in 9. Total 19/34.
  • Neymar 2 in 3, total 13/15.
  • Haaland 2 in 5. Total 13/15.
    Suarez 2 in 7. Total 16/28.
  • Sterling 2 in 9. Total 20/33.
  • Mane 2 in 10. Total 18/35.
  • Sancho 1 in 9. Total 17/32.
  • Vardy 1 in 10. Total 23/35.

Question all you like:

2 goals against Bournemouth matchday 4, 2 against Newcastle day 7, 3 against Southampton on day 10, 1 against Palace the round after that, one each against Brighton and Everton on day 13 and 14, then 1 against Watford and 2 against Villa. 2 against Villa again on day 16, 2 against Palace round 33 and 1 against Bournemouth on round 35.

That's 18 goals out of his 23 total. The final five came against Sheffield, Burnley, Arsenalx2 and City.

I chose top/bottom 10 because that's the stat that was used to show how Lukaku is padding, you prefer top 6:

• Lukaku scored 3 in 10. Total 23/36.
  • Ben Yedder 10 in 8. Total 18/26.
  • Rashford 7 in 7. Total 17/31.
  • Ronaldo 7 in 8. Total 31/33.
  • Benzema 6 in 10. Total 21/37.
  • Immobile 5 in 9. Total 36/37.
  • Kane 4 in 7. Total 18/29.
  • Martial 4 in 8. Total 17/32.
  • Auba 4 in 11. Total 22/36.
  • Messi 3 in 8. Total 25/33.
  • Salah 3 in 9. Total 19/34.
  • Neymar 2 in 3, total 13/15.
  • Haaland 2 in 5. Total 13/15.
    Suarez 2 in 7. Total 16/28.
  • Sterling 2 in 9. Total 20/33.
  • Mane 2 in 10. Total 18/35.
  • Sancho 1 in 9. Total 17/32.
  • Vardy 1 in 10. Total 23/35.
So you are just doing this over one season, and missing out seasons when Vardy has scored hat tricks against city as an example?

I get it’s a manual task, but if you looked at Lukaku over the past 3 or 4 years and then compare to Vardy, it’s different.

Even if you look at that one season Vardy scored 3 goals in one season against top sides, Lukaku scored 1 in 23 appearances against the top 6 over two years.

Do you not see a difference?

NotThatSoph

So you are just doing this over one season, and missing out seasons when Vardy has scored hat tricks against city as an example?

I get it’s a manual task, but if you looked at Lukaku over the past 3 or 4 years and then compare to Vardy, it’s different.

Even if you look at that one season Vardy scored 3 goals in one season against top sides, Lukaku scored 1 in 23 appearances against the top 6 over two years.

Do you not see a difference?
Yes, when I responded to someone talking about last season I used numbers from last season, I don't think that's particularly strange. Of course things change, maybe Vardy just became a stat padder last season but was a proper striker the year before. Maybe Mane and Sterling were good in 18/19 but not in 19/20 etc.

MalcolmTucker

Yes, when I responded to someone talking about last season I used numbers from last season, I don't think that's particularly strange. Of course things change, maybe Vardy just became a stat padder last season but was a proper striker the year before. Maybe Mane and Sterling were good in 18/19 but not in 19/20 etc.
It's a pretty consistent theme with Lukaku though and was something that was levelled at him when he played at Everton too, where he had a record of 10 goals in 46 games vs. top 6. His record for us of 1 goal in 22 games is absolutely woeful, so it's certainly no myth and that's why no one is surprised that he's putting up numbers similar to the likes of Quagliarela, Immobile and Zapata in the fourth ranked league in Europe.

Last edited:

GifLord

Better at GIFs than posts

Now do the maths and check how many times Lukaku scored against a decent opponent. :lol:

NotThatSoph

Now do the maths and check how many times Lukaku scored against a decent opponent. :lol:
You're the one who brought up percentage of goals against the bottom 10 and mentioned stat padding. Presumably you were making a point. What does it show if someone scores 65 or 70 % or more of their goals against the bottom half?

GifLord

You're the one who brought up percentage of goals against the bottom 10 and mentioned stat padding. Presumably you were making a point. What does it show if someone scores 65 or 70 % or more of their goals against the bottom half?
When you listed all those players you completely ignored an important fact. You even had the balls to add Vardy to that list like c'mon?? :lol:

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
There’s no doubting he’s a great player. But just not for United. A bit like Jose.
Jose is just like one of the greatest managers of all time. He was just past it when we hired him. Lukkaku is a good flat track bully. A decent goal poacher to win you points agianst the smaller teams.

NotThatSoph

When you listed all those players you completely ignored an important fact. You even had the balls to add Vardy to that list like c'mon?? :lol:
You commented that Lukaku scored 70 % of his goals last season against bottom half teams, mentioning padding. What was that percentage supposed to show?

It's a very clear question, I don't know why you're avoiding.

GifLord

You commented that Lukaku scored 70 % of his goals last season against bottom half teams, mentioning padding. What was that percentage supposed to show?

It's a very clear question, I don't know why you're avoiding.
Because he is stat padding? Do you even watch Inter games? Most of the goals he scores are tap ins from 5-6yards

NotThatSoph

Because he is stat padding? Do you even watch Inter games? Most of the goals he scores are tap ins from 5-6yards
Right, so if his percentage shows that he's stat padding, what does that mean for players who scored even more of their goals against bottom half teams?

E.g. Messi, Vardy, Sterling or Auba.

United58

Thought that was Rashford bigging up his own moment, then realised there was two more Tweets - great story. Didn't and don't think Lukaku is good enough for a title challenging team in England (not that we are atm), but that's selfless - although it was a big fecking penalty to stand up for!!

Paul_Scholes18

Thought that was Rashford bigging up his own moment, then realised there was two more Tweets - great story. Didn't and don't think Lukaku is good enough for a title challenging team in England (not that we are atm), but that's selfless - although it was a big fecking penalty to stand up for!!
We almost challenged with him so it would be possible to win it with a good year having Lukaku in your team. Although if you have other star attackers too and not build too much on him.
At least I don't think he would be a problem in the dressing room, but who knows.
Don't think any title challengers going to buy him in England though. He is not the type most want.

HackeyC

Incoming conspiracy about Lukaku was shitting it and tried to pass the responsibility to our naive Marcus
You're an £80m experienced forward, on a hat-trick and you pass the ball to a 20 year. Would Ronaldo or Rooney have done that?

Untd55

Only 16 league goals, followed by 12 league goals the following season. #padded.
I don't understand the logic of missing out 5 Champions League goals and 5 FA Cup goals for 17/18.

If we are going to look at league goals, then he scored 23 in Serie A last season. The rest were CL, Europa League, and their League Cup.

luke511

Incoming conspiracy about Lukaku was shitting it and tried to pass the responsibility to our naive Marcus
This decisive penalty probably fecked him up good so there's a chance :lol: he was loaned out straight after this game and wasn't even given a chance in the first team after the West Brom loan.

You're an £80m experienced forward, on a hat-trick and you pass the ball to a 20 year. Would Ronaldo or Rooney have done that?
No absolutely not. It shows he didn’t have the confidence. I don’t believe it was to shift the responsibility to another player, that’s all very conspiracy theory, but it does show he doesn’t have the mentality of a top player.

I don't understand the logic of missing out 5 Champions League goals and 5 FA Cup goals for 17/18.

If we are going to look at league goals, then he scored 23 in Serie A last season. The rest were CL, Europa League, and their League Cup.
I’m not ignoring them. However, when comparing players it’s best to use league goals as that’s the constant basis on which you can compare players like for like.

MalcolmTucker

No one is missing out the other goals but league goals are a striker's bread and butter and it's the easiest way to compare players.

He scored 5 champions league goals but they were against Basel, Sevilla and CSKA Moscow and his FA cup goals were against Brighton, Yeovil, Huddersfield and Derby. Once again, a decent record up until we faced Spurs and Chelsea where of course his goalscoring dried up.

Serie A is the fourth ranked league in Europe and a 36 year old Quagliarela scored more league goals just last season. Lukaku is 3rd most expensive player in Serie A history, he should be breaking records not scoring at a lower goal per minute ratio than the likes of Muriel, Immobile and Zapata.

Last edited:

el3mel

Absolute class from Rashford there. Maybe those who still hate the man even more than 1 year after leaving will let it rest a little bit. Our players still like him and have no problem with him.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Congratulations to Romelu Lukaku for being voted the Europa League player of the tournament 19/20 for his match winning display in the final.