Romelu Lukaku | Mourinho Part III | Roma watch

GifLord

Better at GIFs than posts
In 2014 the genius on their bench decided to use him as 18 year old Origi's backup. Came off the bench against the US and they finally score 2. Then plays 30 minutes against argentina, in a game in which belgium did not show up, collectively as a team

In 2018 he beasted Brazil. He was underwhelming against Japan, sure, and once again the entire team(bar Hazard) was disappointing against France

You talk about this stacked team around him and his failure to make it matter, but the truth is more often than not the stacked team was just poor, and he just wasn't capable of raising his game above his teammates or inspire them to be better. A criticism that very much applies to Henry and Cristiano and Messi, too
All of these players have/had the ability to decide the match on their own.
Lukaku doesn't. He needs to be carried like a baby or else it's like the team's playing with 10 men.
Also put Lukaku in the Belgium's team from the 2000s and he won't score more than 15 goals for the NT

Che Guevara

Supports
Celtic
Lukaku is definitely a hate figure on Cafe. Most comments just want him to fail. However, the reality is that he is one of the best strikers in Europe right now.

thegregster

Harbinger of new information
Lukaku is definitely a hate figure on Cafe. Most comments just want him to fail. However, the reality is that he is one of the best strikers in Europe right now.
Yet none of the top European clubs would want him.

Banat

I don't hate him at all but this is just silly :lol:
I mean come on you can't be serious, he is nothing more than a solid striker, I don't give a s**t about his stats, I watch him play and he is clearly not talented nor funny to watch or intelligent player. Because of his stats, he is maybe tier 3 in European football currently
Best striker in Europe :lol:

lsd

The Oracle
I mean come on you can't be serious, he is nothing more than a solid striker, I don't give a s**t about his stats, I watch him play and he is clearly not talented nor funny to watch or intelligent player. Because of his stats, he is maybe tier 3 in European football currently

So a lot better than Martial then

Grande

I agree that quite a few of our fans have had an irrational negativity towards Lukaku since his early days here. He is definitely a very good attacker. His technique and intelligence is better than he is credited for by those. Still, It seems equally clear that he has limitations playing with his back to goal, quick passing play, up against the best defenders etc., that makes me happy enough that he moved on from us. For a team aiming for the top, Rashford, Martial, Cavani and Greenwood each have a better potential for being attacker in such a team in my opinion. Still I have no doubt Lukaku is one of the best ten strikers in the world currently, but it’s a bit horses for courses as well.

MalcolmTucker

Behave! He was the third top goalscorer in the 4th best league last season and the same applies now. The two players above him are 35 and 39 years old. An average Immobile outscored him comfortably last season and Muriel has scored at a better rate than him this season and last season.

Che Guevara

Supports
Celtic
You perfectly express and sum up the attitude of the hate mob on Cafe. My point exactly.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
For a striker that's not intelligent or talented he sure scores a hell of a lot of goals?!

I suppose they are just flukes and can be written off as they weren't against Juventus, City or Brazil.

What a strange post.

drmuji

Tbh that's quite an insult to Inzaghi, especially when you look at his records in the big matches.
Very true
I was myself Gobsmacked at that statement.
But then again, I heard someone say that Martial would be lucky if he gets sold at 50 million.

Some of the posters here

Strelok

Very true
I was myself Gobsmacked at that statement.
But then again, I heard someone say that Martial would be lucky if he gets sold at 50 million.

Some of the posters here
Well that's the caf I think.

Tbh I lost most of my ability to get surprised after joining the caf. When you see posters calling Bruno lazy and a horrible passer then you know you shouldn't be surprised at anything you'd come across here.

flappyjay

A lot of the Cafe see him for what he is but some pretend he is better that. He is a good goal score, who has some deficiencies in his game. And obviously his big game record is poor which has continued in Italy where he didn't score against the top 4 last year in the league.

ghagua

What you're having trouble with is that last season, all three of Rashford, Martial and Greenwood scored at a better rate than Lukaku did for us and Everton. So we'd just be bringing back a striker who doesn't score as frequently as our current forwards and has a worse all round game - makes absolutely no sense.

Other than Bruno, who's scoring for United regularly? Martial scores a few in a row and pulls the wool over everyone's eyes. Rashford is doing the best that he can, but still not enough. Greenwood is a young kid who has issues he needs to sort out.

MalcolmTucker

Other than Bruno, who's scoring for United regularly? Martial scores a few in a row and pulls the wool over everyone's eyes. Rashford is doing the best that he can, but still not enough. Greenwood is a young kid who has issues he needs to sort out.
Lukaku wasn't a regular scorer for us either. After scoring 7 goals in his first 7 games, he went on a run of 1 goal in the next 9. After that he had 3 spells of not scoring a goal in 6+ games and only scored 17 goals in 49 starts in the league - with only one of them being against a team in the top 6. There's people in this thread acting as if he was a reliable goalscorer, who excuse his laughable record against the top 6 because he scored consistently against lower opposition but that isn't the case and it's baffling how people misremember this.

Our strikers aren't doing great at the moment and I could understand if Lukaku had never played for us and people were seeing his decent stats in Serie A and hypothesising how he'd do for us.. but he has been here, his stats were average, his fitness was poor and his performances were consistently woeful.

Last edited:

lsd

The Oracle
Lukaku wasn't a regular scorer for us either. After scoring 7 goals in his first 7 games, he went on a run of 1 goal in the next 9. After that he had 3 spells of not scoring a goal in 6+ games and only scored 17 goals in 49 starts in the league - with only one of them being against a team in the top 6. Everyone raves about him being a great goalscorer but he certainly wasn't reliable when he was here - I don't know how people don't remember this?

Our strikers aren't doing great at the moment and I could understand if Lukaku had never played for us and people were seeing his decent stats in Serie A and hypothesising how he'd do for us.. but he has been here, his stats were average, his fitness was poor and his performances were consistently woeful.

Not really true as you are judging him on a poor second season when he only played two for us.

First season 27 goals was more than decent and showed what he could do whereas he struggled second season during Mourinho's meltdown as the entire team struggled.

When Ole took over he made it clear he wanted Martial in the middle not Lukaku and jury is out on that decision still.

MalcolmTucker

Not really true as you are judging him on a poor second season when he only played two for us.

First season 27 goals was more than decent and showed what he could do whereas he struggled second season during Mourinho's meltdown as the entire team struggled.

When Ole took over he made it clear he wanted Martial in the middle not Lukaku and jury is out on that decision still.
I'm judging him on both of his seasons here, how is it not true :lol: I even only included starts because I knew one of you oddballs would make the excuse that he wasn't first choice once Ole came in, as if that wasn't because he was playing like complete shit.

But ok, let's just go on his first season then. After his great start of 7 goals in 7 games, he went on a run of 1 goal in the following 9 games. That means he had 9 goals in 27 games after his good start - 34 games, 16 goals in total - a goal every 179 minutes. Pretty average and highlights that he wasn't a regular goalscorer as nearly half his goals came in the first 7 games, even in his 'good' season for us.

Last edited:

Tony Babangida

I'm glad we've got Cavani as I don't think we adequately replaced him. Still not convinced Martial has enough of an all round game to lead the line for us. We need a forward that can hold the ball up and head. I was a fan of Lukaku in his first season, don't know what happened to him after that.

Paul_Scholes18

I didn't watch the full game, but he was excellent for what I have seen. Carried Inter to a massive win for them.
Just totally dominated and his first touch was mostly very good.

That group got great drama though. It is rare to have it in CL.
All 4 teams can qualify.

Mönchengladbacht is the only side that can play for a draw though.
Although Real should not be happy with that unless Inter wins.

Shaktar could qualify with a draw, but need to go for the win. Inter need to win.

blemis

Supports
spurs
Top , top striker this guy is, the problem at United is he never get the same support, love , confidence and trust from the fans as much as they gave to Rashford and Martial which of course would affect his performance and dedication towards the club.The hate he gotten when he has a bad touch or missing sitter was absolutely ridiculous as if Rashford didn't have a touch just as bad or Martial missing anything that isn't one on one. I remember the fanbase literally created his failed compilation on youtube , like you can create the same kind of compilation for Ronaldo and Messi as well to make them look silly but that doesn't mean they are bad players. Lukaku is 30 goals striker in a proper team , which you couldn't say the same for the other 2.

Last edited:

ryan_forlan

Gullible
Top , top striker this guy is, the problem at United is he never get the same support, love , confidence and trust from the fans as much as they gave to Rashford and Martial which of course would affect his performance and dedication towards the club.The hate he gotten when he has a bad touch or missing sitter was absolutely ridiculous as if Rashford didn't have a touch just as bad or Martial missing anything that isn't one on one. I remember the fanbase literally created his failed compilation on youtube , like you can create the same kind of compilation for Ronaldo and Messi as well to make them look silly but that doesn't mean they are bad players. Lukaku is 30 goals striker in a proper team , which you couldn't say the same for the other 2.
Agreed

Nevilles.Wear.Prada

Supports
JDT
I've seen a grand total of one poster saying he would be our best striker. Maybe there's one than one, but not many. Quite a few, me included, think he would have strengthened our squad. I think he would've been a nice alternative to Martial up top compared to Cavani/Ighalo, and a nice alternative to Greenwood on the right compared to James/Mata. Not a lot of people are unhappy that he was sold, a few are lamenting that he wasn't replaced properly, while approximately zero people want to buy him back.

This thread is usually a back and forth between people who think he's quite good and people who think he's a Sunday League player.
Truth is as usual is somewhere in between, he is a quite good sunday league player.

simplyared

He was brilliant for Inter last night. His first goal came from nothing and was a great strike. His 2nd was a clinical finish from a player high in confidence. Still looks a bit too bulky though!

Handré1990

You just compared Lukaku to two of the greatest players ever to have graced the game. Noone is going to take you serious. We’ve seen what he is about, and we don’t want him here. Will you people move the feck on?

InterFan1998

Supports
Internazionale
He has his positives and his negatives. I agree with people that he doesn’t do enough in the big games. Also he has limitations with his touch. But he also has a lot of positives that I think get overlooked at times for his negative attributes.

He’s not my ideal type of striker (for me that’s someone in the mould of Samuel Eto’o) but he has generally done well this season. In terms of big games hard to judge him this season. Versus Madrid he missed the first game and the second we were down to 10 men so not an easy situation for either of our strikers. He scored vs. Milan in the derby and didn’t play much in the last 2 big away games against Atalanta and Sassuolo (although not exactly a big team) due to fitness issues. We’ll see how he doe vs. Shakhtar and Napoli in the next two midweek matches.

Reactions: sizzling sausages

3KDré

Given Lukaku scored 27 for us in one season, and Martial and Radhford scored 23 and 22 last season in their first seasons as our main goal scorers, I could definitely say that if Lukaku can score 30 in a proper team then the other two can as well.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
He has his positives and his negatives. I agree with people that he doesn’t do enough in the big games. Also he has limitations with his touch. But he also has a lot of positives that I think get overlooked at times for his negative attributes.

He’s not my ideal type of striker (for me that’s someone in the mould of Samuel Eto’o) but he has generally done well this season. In terms of big games hard to judge him this season. Versus Madrid he missed the first game and the second we were down to 10 men so not an easy situation for either of our strikers. He scored vs. Milan in the derby and didn’t play much in the last 2 big away games against Atalanta and Sassuolo (although not exactly a big team) due to fitness issues. We’ll see how he doe vs. Shakhtar and Napoli in the next two midweek matches.
Would you swap him with martial?