Romelu Lukaku | Mourinho Part III | Roma watch

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
Reflects poorly on quality of the Seria A. Probably will end up with a better goals to game ratio than Batistuta and Shevchenko.

GifLord

Better at GIFs than posts
Not sure how they are wank in Europe where they are in the last 16, something neither Inter or Manchester United could do.

keep in mind Lazio did it with half their team missing match days 2 and 3 due to COVID. Immobile scored in every song CL game so he was obviously a big miss for them vs Zenit and Brugge.
Yeah they progressed because they got a very easy group. BVB , Zenit & Club Brugge which they couldn't even beat
They been very poor in Europe for a very long time now.

InterFan1998

Supports
Internazionale
Yeah they progressed because they got a very easy group. BVB , Zenit & Club Brugge which they couldn't even beat
They also didn’t lose to them. They beat Dortmund and Zenit too and people here seem to rate the likes of Sancho and Haaland. United also had a poor Turkish team that they lost to so it’s not for granted that you’ll pass the group if there are ‘poor’ teams in it. Also as I mentioned Lazio had to play 2 games without half their team due to COVID so it’s not as if they had it easy.

GifLord

They also didn’t lose to them. They beat Dortmund and Zenit too and people here seem to rate the likes of Sancho and Haaland. United also had a poor Turkish team that they lost to so it’s not for granted that you’ll pass the group if there are ‘poor’ teams in it. Also as I mentioned Lazio had to play 2 games without half their team due to COVID so it’s not as if they had it easy.
After the draw nobody even believed Utd would progress. Also 1 shit vs 2 shit teams is a big difference don't you think?

RashyForPM

Same goes with EPL though. I mean - West Ham are in top 10 EPL yet would be relegated in La Liga.
That is a ridiculous assumption. West Ham are so solid with Moyes and hardly any of the Spanish sides would be able to break through them. Add to that the quality of players like Antonio, Bowen, Fornals, Lanzini, Cresswell, Soucek and Rice as well. Alongside probably ending the season with the 4th best defensive record behind Atletico, Real and Sevilla, they would batter sides like Cadiz, Huesca, Valladolid, Elche, Osasuna, Valencia etc.

La Liga is a good league, but West Ham would be pushing top 7 there.

InterFan1998

Supports
Internazionale
Also Fiorentina are one
After the draw nobody even believed Utd would progress. Also 1 shit vs 2 shit teams is a big difference don't you think?
That’s a weird thing to say though - nobody believed Manchester United could advance against a team that finished 3rd in Bundesliga last season? Hard to believe that a 3rd placed Bindesliga team is THAT much better than the 3rd best EPL team.

Lazio also had the 2nd best team in Bundesliga from last season and took 4 points away from them - the reason Lazio didn’t make it was actually due to weaker record against Club Brugge.
Anyway Lukaki’s goal scoring doesn’t have much to do with Serie A. Even in Europe with Inter his record is: 16 games 13 goals 3 assists, so it’s actually the exact same as the record posted above: 1 goal contribution per game.

I just checked Lukaku’s stats in England and he has quite a few seasonswith around 25 goal contributions per season - does that just mean EPL was a terrible league back then?

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
I don’t know whether his poor touch goes punished less often in serie A due to the slower pace of the game, or whether he’s just made the kind of improvement that comes with hitting your peak. But it seems clear he’s at a club that suits him. He was never the right fit for us but that doesn’t mean there isn’t a club somewhere that can get the best out of him. He’s always known where the goal is.
Not so much the slower pace as the inferior level of physicality. That, plus inter are just much better in attack than United under Mourinho

GifLord

Also Fiorentina are one

That’s a weird thing to say though - nobody believed Manchester United could advance against a team that finished 3rd in Bundesliga last season? Hard to believe that a 3rd placed Bindesliga team is THAT much better than the 3rd best EPL team.

Lazio also had the 2nd best team in Bundesliga from last season and took 4 points away from them - the reason Lazio didn’t make it was actually due to weaker record against Club Brugge.
Anyway Lukaki’s goal scoring doesn’t have much to do with Serie A. Even in Europe with Inter his record is: 16 games 13 goals 3 assists, so it’s actually the exact same as the record posted above: 1 goal contribution per game.

I just checked Lukaku’s stats in England and he has quite a few seasonswith around 25 goal contributions per season - does that just mean EPL was a terrible league back then?
Leipzig are 1st at the moment in the Bundesliga - until Bayern play.
I don't know what kind of mental gymnastics your'e doing but Utd were in a group of death with 3 good teams fighting for progression while Lazio only had BVB.

InterFan1998

Supports
Internazionale
Leipzig are 1st at the moment in the Bundesliga - until Bayern play.
I don't know what kind of mental gymnastics your'e doing but Utd were in a group of death with 3 good teams fighting for progression while Lazio only had BVB.
You said nobody would think United would pass when they were drawn together. The CL draw was what - a few games into the season? Surely you didn’t make the assumption Leipzig are best team in Germany after then?
Anyway I still don’t buy that no United fan thought their team is capable of finishing ahead of Leipzig.

GifLord

You said nobody would think United would pass when they were drawn together. The CL draw was what - a few games into the season? Surely you didn’t make the assumption Leipzig are best team in Germany after then?
Anyway I still don’t buy that no United fan thought their team is capable of finishing ahead of Leipzig.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
WTF are you on about.
There was even a thread on this forum about Utd not making it through the GS.
https://www.manchestereveningnews.c...-news/man-utd-champions-league-group-19033525

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Pretty much this.

I wish Lukaku all the best though... not sure where all the hate comes from. He did all he could for us which was ultimately not good enough.
Do you actually read this thread? Just go few posts above and you'll see. The guy makes it so easy for people to hate him.

United in sin

Those teams are not always easy though. Brugges held Real Madrid in Spain last season and caused PSG problems in Paris. They actually improved in this edition by winning three group games. We also looked poor against them in the Europa league in the first leg of our knockout game against them when we drew 1-1 last season. If anything that group appeared pretty competitive from the start considering the balance of quality. Chelsea and Sevilla had the easiest group IMO

GifLord

Those teams are not always easy though. Brugges held Real Madrid in Spain last season and caused PSG problems in Paris. They actually improved in this edition by winning three group games. We also looked poor against them in the Europa league in the first leg of our knockout game against them when we drew 1-1 last season. If anything that group appeared pretty competitive from the start considering the balance of quality. Chelsea and Sevilla had the easiest group IMO
Didn't play with our strongest team

InfiniteBoredom

Not so much the slower pace as the inferior level of physicality. That, plus inter are just much better in attack than United under Mourinho
Probably also depends on the profile of the player. Both Evra and Vidic looked done physically with us but one had a decent swansong at Juve while the other was so bad at Inter I think they released him.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Pretty much this.

I wish Lukaku all the best though... not sure where all the hate comes from. He did all he could for us which was ultimately not good enough.
That's the issue - he arguably didn't. Nobody hates him for his first season, but in his second season he was lazy, overweight, shit and tried to blame everyone else despite him being by far the worst player on the team. He's the type of person who throws other people under the bus when things aren't going well to try to hide the fact that he himself is the biggest problem. It's not a coincidence he quite obviously became quite disliked in the dressing room.

lsd

The Oracle
That's the issue - he arguably didn't. Nobody hates him for his first season, but in his second season he was lazy, overweight, shit and tried to blame everyone else despite him being by far the worst player on the team. He's the type of person who throws other people under the bus when things aren't going well to try to hide the fact that he himself is the biggest problem. It's not a coincidence he quite obviously became quite disliked in the dressing room.

Wasn't aware you were in the dressing room

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
The only thing coming close to comparing teams in Europe is the CL and EL. Other than that, it's pure conjecture to say how an English club would fare in the spanish league or vice versa.

Paul_Scholes18

The only thing coming close to comparing teams in Europe is the CL and EL. Other than that, it's pure conjecture to say how an English club would fare in the spanish league or vice versa.
The truth is that it is closer than people think. Just like championship teams can come up and do well in the PL.

Markolan

Supports
AC Milan
You're too biased.
First of all Lazio finished the UCL group stage unbeaten, then they missed SIX/SEVEN starters due to COVID-19 against Brugge and Zenit away (Strakosha, Luiz Felipe, Radu, Lazzari, Luis Alberto, Lucas Leiva, Immobile) and, despite that, still managed to draw both games

How can you say they've been poor? Their CL campaing has been good so far.
In Belgium they only had 2 first team players on the bench (Andreas Pereira,Muriqi) and didn't lose, in Russia they only had 3 first team players on the bench and didn't lose, took 4 points away from Dortmund, dominated Zenit at Olimpico... and they've been poor. Incredible

Andy_Cole

We got £80m for him, arguably spending that on Bruno. It’s worked out for both parties. Happy for him, but don’t miss him.

Nedved

We got £80m for him, arguably spending that on Bruno. It’s worked out for both parties. Happy for him, but don’t miss him.
The same Bruno who was a flop in Serie A. Mind blown for some in here, I assume.

Fetshu

@Lay
Yes of course. My point was his record vs. top6 teams is shambolic. Compare him to Jamie Vardy for instance.
Don't even have to go that far. Rashford, with whom he played in the same team, has a very decent record against top 6 as well.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
The same Bruno who was a flop in Serie A. Mind blown for some in here, I assume.
He wasn't a flop, he was a talented but inconsistent young player. He was 22 when he left, and the general feeling at the time was "how are italian sides letting him go to portugal"

Pretty much this.

he didn’t do all he could for us. That’s the reason he’s disliked.

. overweight, fat and unfit. Absolute disgrace
. Throwing players under the bus during pre-season
. Going awol during pre-season
. Throwing shit at the club ever since he left. He’s the player version of David Moyes
. Grown ass man

I’ve not mentioned once (yet) his stat padding and generally poor play, and record of 1 goal in 23 appearances against the top 6.

I’d forgive all of that, if he wasn’t such a tool that clearly couldn’t be bothered for large parts of his time at United, and can’t shut up subsequently.

some players have the right attitude, and leave in the right way. Lukaku had/ did neither.

NotThatSoph

Very involved match. Out of five goals he scored one, assisted one and helped set up two more. My Inter supporting friends say his general play has gone up a level this year.

MrEleson

Not one single Utd player wished him good luck when he left. Shaw publicly trolled him when Inter fell into the Europa. Safe to say he wasn't well liked.
He had and still has a good relationship with Rashford.

lsd

The Oracle
Not one single Utd player wished him good luck when he left. Shaw publicly trolled him when Inter fell into the Europa. Safe to say he wasn't well liked.

He gets plenty of likes from United players on his Instagram and Twitter posts

Walters_19_MuFc

So, in Ole's recent press conference, having been asked about Cavani he said:

"Edinson has trained well when he's been banned," Solskjaer said. "He's had a couple of days off, of course, as well - you can't train too much.

"But he's ready to go, he gives us a different option. He's a different type of striker or forward than Mason (Greenwood), Anthony (Martial) and Marcus (Rashford), so I'm glad to have him back. That's why we brought him in.

I can only imagine that when Ole is saying Cavani is a different type of striker, he means he is more of a box player than the other three, who all like to roam across the front line.

However, if Ole wanted a different type of striker, it begs the question as to why he was so quick to offload Lukaku, who, despite not being as neat in the build-up play as our current strikers, is a box player and proven goalscorer.

nyanza

"Edinson has trained well when he's been banned," Solskjaer said. "He's had a couple of days off, of course, as well - you can't train too much.

"But he's ready to go, he gives us a different option. He's a different type of striker or forward than Mason (Greenwood), Anthony (Martial) and Marcus (Rashford), so I'm glad to have him back. That's why we brought him in.

I can only imagine that when Ole is saying Cavani is a different type of striker, he means he is more of a box player than the other three, who all like to roam across the front line.

However, if Ole wanted a different type of striker, it begs the question as to why he was so quick to offload Lukaku, who, despite not being as neat in the build-up play as our current strikers, is a box player and proven goalscorer.
Lukaku himself wanting a move and Inter offering huge money which might have not been an option later, probably.

I don't think Ole would have pushed him out if Lukaku himself was happy here and there was no big money offer to cover our losses. Despite all the mocking and him genuinely not being fit to be the main man here, he would have been a great option to have as a rotation in the squad in a Cavani-like role.

Reactions: 12OunceEpilogue

GifLord

Because he can't be relied upon? Cavani is a completely different beast to Lukaku.