Romelu Lukaku | Mourinho Part III | Roma watch

NotThatSoph

I understood your point and your last sentence in it, but still think it is, well, pretty much pointless in this particular case.
If you understood it then your reply is even weirder to me, but ok. Your issue is then that you think it's not true that race is involved. Which, fine, I'm sorry but I don't care about that. Maybe someone else does, you can talk about it with them. It still wouldn't mean that anyone was called a racist for not rating Lukaku, just like no one has ever said that it's racist to criticize Sterlink. But you understood that, you've just said, so it can't have been pointless.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
If you understood it then your reply is even weirder to me, but ok. Your issue is then that you think it's not true that race is involved. Which, fine, I'm sorry but I don't care about that. Maybe someone else does, you can talk about it with them. It still wouldn't mean that anyone was called a racist for not rating Lukaku, just like no one has ever said that it's racist to criticize Sterlink. But you understood that, you've just said, so it can't have been pointless.
Nice word soup, you’re never wrong :lol:

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
If you understood it then your reply is even weirder to me, but ok. Your issue is then that you think it's not true that race is involved. Which, fine, I'm sorry but I don't care about that. It still wouldn't mean that anyone was called a racist for not rating Lukaku, just like no one has ever said that it's racist to criticize Sterlink. But you understood that, you've just said, so it can't have been pointless.
Yeah, all settled, we will stop here. Made my feelings clear about the issue I had as you did with yours as strange as you went about it. The subject was Lukaku, will continue with my thoughts about him in his thread one day maybe.

MalcolmTucker

My general feeling is that there are no racist issues with pretty much any person when it comes to Lukaku. So, when someone goes with that route it is actually offensive.

It has everything to do with the way he left the club, missed the preseason, was fully out of shape and then had the cheek to point the blame in other direction once he was no more here even saying he wanted to leave after first few days while putting £250,000 in his pocket every week. The criticism about the lack of technical ability and his playing style was always there.

Now, pretty much any logically thinking person would connect those dots as the crux of the problem in overall feelings towards Lukuku and not the one he went after. Rooney was under the barrage of personal abuse after the way he went with his contract renewal. In fact, he was physically threatened. It also hadn't anything to do with his skin color like it's not the case here. Anyway, free speach and all that, so he is free to go after any train of thought he likes to, but it doesn't make it any less bs in my opinion.

Not sure what Sterling and Greenwood media portrait have to do with any of the above tbh.
This sums up my thoughts well.

Lukaku's form while he was here, his glaring technical weaknesses plus his comments after leaving justify the way United fans regard him, even if it is a bit exaggerated in this thread.

I've never seen any smear campaigns in the media against him like Sterling and Greenwood have had so I don't know how helpful that comparison is.

InterFan1998

Supports
Internazionale
The games that matter are the ones where you drop points otherwise. Would Inter have beaten Milan without him? Lazio? Yes they would. He scored the 3rd of against Milan and against Lazio the opening goal was a penalty won by Lautaro.

It's a sad fact that a half decent team will run riot in Serie A at the moment. Juventus are the only credible opponent and he hasn't scored a single goal against them.

Ibrahimovic? He's a great striker who has scored plenty against big teams. However, he's not as good as he thinks he is, and he's also 39. A 39 year old in the running for the Serie A Golden Boot (with a 36 year old currently leading it).
I don’t get your argument. Howdo you know Inter would have beaten Milan without Lukaku? You mention he scored 3rd goal but fail to mention heassisted the first. Are you saying that if Lukaku didn’t play, Sanchez would have made the exact same run and assist? Can you prove that?

Against Lazio Lukaku scored 2 and assisted 1 and you still say Inter would have won without him because Lautaro won the penalty? If that’s the case how do you explain Inter missing a penalty in their loss against Sampdoria earlier in the season when Lukaku was in the bench? And does that mean Inter would have gotten points as Lukaku would score the penalty?

EPL isn’t much good either. Leicester City are top 3 while they are a Sassuolo level team (8th in Serie A).

Manchester are second but can’t win away against a Turkish team no one has heard of. So it’s not just a Serie A thing. Liverpool last year played at 20% and was destroying EPL teams left right and centre while being found out by Atletico who weren’t even the best team in a weaker La Liga.

Which big teams has Ibra scored against?

Last season he scored his 2nd ever goal against Juventus (a penalty) so he doesn’t have much of a record against them.

I don’t get your argument. Howdo you know Inter would have beaten Milan without Lukaku? You mention he scored 3rd goal but fail to mention heassisted the first. Are you saying that if Lukaku didn’t play, Sanchez would have made the exact same run and assist? Can you prove that?

Against Lazio Lukaku scored 2 and assisted 1 and you still say Inter would have won without him because Lautaro won the penalty? If that’s the case how do you explain Inter missing a penalty in their loss against Sampdoria earlier in the season when Lukaku was in the bench? And does that mean Inter would have gotten points as Lukaku would score the penalty?

EPL isn’t much good either. Leicester City are top 3 while they are a Sassuolo level team (8th in Serie A).

Manchester are second but can’t win away against a Turkish team no one has heard of. So it’s not just a Serie A thing. Liverpool last year played at 20% and was destroying EPL teams left right and centre while being found out by Atletico who weren’t even the best team in a weaker La Liga.

Which big teams has Ibra scored against?

Last season he scored his 2nd ever goal against Juventus (a penalty) so he doesn’t have much of a record against them.
Well obviously another player wont score the exact same goal. But they will still score, and Inter would likely have beaten Milan and Lazio with Sanchez or whoever else on the field instead.

I'm not sure how you figure Sassuolo are at Leicester's level considering they haven't played in Europe in years? Other than (hilariously) Liverpool, English teams have made fairly light work of Italian teams in recent years.

Classical Mechanic

Well obviously another player wont score the exact same goal. But they will still score, and Inter would likely have beaten Milan and Lazio with Sanchez or whoever else on the field instead.

I'm not sure how you figure Sassuolo are at Leicester's level considering they haven't played in Europe in years? Other than (hilariously) Liverpool, English teams have made fairly light work of Italian teams in recent years.
To be fair Liverpool beat Atalanta 5-0 on their own patch with a youth player who was playing non-league the season before bossing it at centre back for them.

Vernon Philander

Your point is silly, because the poster you replied to were obviously referencing the fact that this thread is getting bumped when Lukaku does poorly. Now he dominates Milan and people said nothing. It took a turn for the worse, though. Now, after Lukaku dominated in a big game the thread is populated by people talking about how he doesn't show up in big games.

Glad you dropped the stat padding line, though, that was pretty weak.
Now you're proving that the thread gets bumped by overly sensitive people like yourselves, waiting for a gotcha moment. The guy has stat padded his whole career and grabbing a late goal in match already won does nothing to counter this. I know its a tough pill to swallow for you.

I don't even think he's a bad player btw.

This sums up my thoughts well.

Lukaku's form while he was here, his glaring technical weaknesses plus his comments after leaving justify the way United fans regard him, even if it is a bit exaggerated in this thread.

I've never seen any smear campaigns in the media against him like Sterling and Greenwood have had so I don't know how helpful that comparison is.
the media around Lukaku is actually far more positive than he deserves. There’s nothing at all to suggests and racist agenda.

frankly, if he didn’t play for United, people wouldn’t even be talking about him.

clearly United fans saw him up and personal for 2 years, and can therefore really see what he’s like as a player and as a person.

crap and dislikable.

A rat, just like Sanchez and Di Maria - at least those two were world class players at one point in time (and therefore their attitude could almost be understandable).

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
the media around Lukaku is actually far more positive than he deserves. There’s nothing at all to suggests and racist agenda.

frankly, if he didn’t play for United, people wouldn’t even be talking about him.

clearly United fans saw him up and personal for 2 years, and can therefore really see what he’s like as a player and as a person.

crap and dislikable.

A rat, just like Sanchez and Di Maria - at least those two were world class players at one point in time (and therefore their attitude could almost be understandable).
Also people use Lukaku as a stick to beat United with. "look at Lukaku now, it was big bad United who made him have the touch of a trampoline".

I think many of us respond to this and maybe even go to far where we end up seeming like a jilted ex.

How many supporters of top 6 clubs would take Lukaku though?

stankovic

Supports
inter
The amount of delusion in this thread is really something else. This is absolutely not true and stats can prove it.
Lukaku missed three games for Inter this season so far, which resulted in two defeats and a home draw against 19th place Parma, while in the three games where he only played a handful of minutes coming off the bench in the second half, Inter managed only 4 points, drawing with Atalanta and losing to Sampdoria.

Take Lukaku out of this team, and Inter would be struggling to qualify for CL, simple as that.

I've no problem admitting that Conte's style perfectly suits Rom, and that he probably wouldn't have the same impact in another context, but at the same time I wonder how can you fail to recognize that he's been doing great at Inter and that he's probably the most dominant player in the league right now

NotThatSoph

Now you're proving that the thread gets bumped by overly sensitive people like yourselves, waiting for a gotcha moment. The guy has stat padded his whole career and grabbing a late goal in match already won does nothing to counter this. I know its a tough pill to swallow for you.

I don't even think he's a bad player btw.

If I proved it, go on and check the post history of the user who actually bumped the thread. What did you find?

The amount of delusion in this thread is really something else. This is absolutely not true and stats can prove it.
Lukaku missed three games for Inter this season so far, which resulted in two defeats and a home draw against 19th place Parma, while in the three games where he only played a handful of minutes coming off the bench in the second half, Inter managed only 4 points, drawing with Atalanta and losing to Sampdoria.

Take Lukaku out of this team, and Inter would be struggling to qualify for CL, simple as that.

I've no problem admitting that Conte's style perfectly suits Rom, and that he probably wouldn't have the same impact in another context, but at the same time I wonder how can you fail to recognize that he's been doing great at Inter and that he's probably the most dominant player in the league right now
I have never said he's not doing a good job for Inter. He is, but wait until you play in the Champions League and face tougher opponents. He was useless this season and he undoubtedly will be again next year.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
Bloody hell, Mourinho FC was already tedious, but at least he has an impressive CV.
But Lukaku? Some people are acting like we let prime Cantona go.

stankovic

Supports
inter
I have never said he's not doing a good job for Inter. He is, but wait until you play in the Champions League and face tougher opponents. He was useless this season and he undoubtedly will be again next year.
It will probably be the case. Inevitably, when you raise the level it becomes more difficult to make the difference and so far Rom has not proven yet that he can be reliable and decisive at the highest level.
What i dont get is the amount of criticism he receives because of that, as if he were expected to deliver performances of Messi or Ronaldo's calibre. Either you recognize that he's a top level striker, or you must not use his less than excellent performances in big matches as a pretext to consider him a failure

GifLord

Better at GIFs than posts
GifLord is something else.

Last year he was mocking Lukaku for his apparant lopsided distribution of goals,
illustrated by his share of goals against top 6 teams. I went throught the top scorers in the top leagues, compiling a list showing that Lukaku's ratios was perfectly normal. Some players stood out in a positive way (Rashford) and some on a bad way (Messi), but Lukaku was pretty middle of the pack.

Just like that, on the second, the stat that GifLord himself picked out as a bad thing suddenly didn't matter anymore. It was just perfect dishonesty, Internet "debate" in its perfect form.
I'm mocking him because he thinks he's the bee's knees when in reality he's an awkward player, with poor first touch, debatable finishing, poor ball control, extremely clumsy at times who goes missing when the club needs him the most - it's literally in his DNA. But then he goes and talks and acts like he's one of the best when in reality he doesn't even have the skill for it.

Threesus

This thread needs to be locked. No objectivity in this thread and it doesn’t need to be bumped every time lukaku does something

NotThatSoph

I'm mocking him because he thinks he's the bee's knees when in reality he's an awkward player, with poor first touch, debatable finishing, poor ball control, extremely clumsy at times who goes missing when the club needs him the most - it's literally in his DNA. But then he goes and talks and acts like he's one of the best when in reality he doesn't even have the skill for it.
Yes, and that time you were mocking him for only scoring x % of his goals against top 6 teams that season, claiming that it proved something negetavie about his abilities. Then I showed you how a lot of good players had similar or "worse" stats that season, and suddenly that very stat that you yourself picked to make fun of Lukaku didn't imply anything bad after all.

It was very funny.

InterFan1998

Supports
Internazionale
I don’t disagree. Same is true of Aguero though who gets praises as a big game player but tends to disappear in the tough CL knockout matches. He has some goals in round of 16 blowouts against likes of Schalke but otherwise chokes when it matters. I think he did score one vs Tottenham but also choked on the away games where he missed an important penalty.

I think it’s more of a case of EPL fans rating him as I’ve never heard anyone else rating him that high since he’s been ona Team with amazing talent and creators and still never done much of note in the biggest competitions.

Last edited:

GifLord

Yes, and that time you were mocking him for only scoring x % of his goals against top 6 teams that season, claiming that it proved something negetavie about his abilities. Then I showed you how a lot of good players had similar or "worse" stats that season, and suddenly that very stat that you yourself picked to make fun of Lukaku didn't imply anything bad after all.

It was very funny.
Because he's absolute shit against top opposition - there's literally stats that prove it. Just because he's doing great in Serie A doesn't mean he's suddenly become better - Serie A is ridiciliously poor just look at the Italian national pool of players born between 1980-1995 some absolute dross of players came out and the strenght of Italian national team is proof of it.

It will probably be the case. Inevitably, when you raise the level it becomes more difficult to make the difference and so far Rom has not proven yet that he can be reliable and decisive at the highest level.
What i dont get is the amount of criticism he receives because of that, as if he were expected to deliver performances of Messi or Ronaldo's calibre. Either you recognize that he's a top level striker, or you must not use his less than excellent performances in big matches as a pretext to consider him a failure
I disagree that he is a top level striker. He is good, but could you replace him with somebody else and get the same results? Most likely, yes. Will he drag you through the difficult games? No.

United fans also don't like him because of the hissy fits he threw when he was leaving.

I don’t disagree. Same is true of Aguirre though who gets praises as a big game player but tends to disappear in the tough CL knockout matches. He has some goals in round of 16 blowouts against likes of Schalke but otherwise chokes when it matters. I think he did score one vs Tottenham but also choked on the away games where he missed an important penalty.

I think it’s more of a case of EPL fans rating him as I’ve never heard anyone else rating him that high since he’s been ona Team with amazing talent and creators and still never done much of note in the biggest competitions.
I dont know about that. Aguero has scored more against Chelsea than he has against anybody else, and he's always a pain when he plays us, Arsenal or Spurs.

He's got a reasonable Champions League record against the likes of Bayern, but City as a whole usually choke in Europe.

Aguero was twice the striker Lukaku is, in all honesty.

UnofficialDevil

Anti Scottish and Preoccupied with Donkeys.
I'm not anti Scottish, I just wanted Moyes out.
Because he's absolute shit against top opposition - there's literally stats that prove it. Just because he's doing great in Serie A doesn't mean he's suddenly become better - Serie A is ridiciliously poor just look at the Italian national pool of players born between 1980-1995 some absolute dross of players came out and the strenght of Italian national team is proof of it.
I thought the Serie A had the best defenders and the best defences, the best defensive tactical setups, if he's scoring that must prove something.

NotThatSoph

Yes, but, and I'm repeating myself, what's funny is that this stat stopped being relevant to you when you found out how other players did. Lukaku scoring x % of his goals against top 6 teams shows that he is shit against top teams, but Salah, Mane or Messi having "worse" stats doesn't mean anything.

Imaigne that I said Ronaldo is clearly the best player ever because he has won five Ballon d'Ors. Then someone point out to me that Messi has won six, and I suddenly decide that the Ballon d'Or isn't the relevant measure and that Ronaldo is the best ever because of some other reason. Clearly it was never about the Ballon d'Or for me, I just wanted to argue that Ronaldo is the best and I'd pick any argument to support it. That's you and Lukaku. The laughable thing isn't that you think he's shit, that's fine, the laughable thing is how you pick, choose and drop arguments as it suits you.

GifLord

I thought the Serie A had the best defenders and the best defences, the best defensive tactical setups, if he's scoring that must prove something.
:lol: It's not even considered among top3 leagues anymore

Yes, but, and I'm repeating myself, what's funny is that this stat stopped being relevant to you when you found out how other players did. Lukaku scoring x % of his goals against top 6 teams shows that he is shit against top teams, but Salah, Mane or Messi having "worse" stats doesn't mean anything.

Imaigne that I said Ronaldo is clearly the best player ever because he has won five Ballon d'Ors. Then someone point out to me that Messi has won six, and I suddenly decide that the Ballon d'Or isn't the relevant measure and that Ronaldo is the best ever because of some other reason. Clearly it was never about the Ballon d'Or for me, I just wanted to argue that Ronaldo is the best and I'd pick any argument to support it. That's you and Lukaku. The laughable thing isn't that you think he's shit, that's fine, the laughable thing is how you pick, choose and drop arguments as it suits you.
When did that happen? Also how can you compare those players to Lukaku when they're literally carrying those clubs. Lukaku can't do anything without support - he's literally invisible at times when Inter plays a decent team

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Final four of the nations league. 10 wins out of 10 in Euro qualifying. The italian national team is pretty good right now

MalcolmTucker

Perhaps I'm misremembering but weren't you comparing the top 6 of their respective leagues though?

You can't compare the top 6 of the PL or La Liga with the top 6 of Serie A. Especially when we have a pretty big sample size of Lukaku in the PL where his big game record is bad, not to mention that his performances outside of goals is no where near as rounded as Salah, Mane and Messi.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
It's not, it's as goal-happy as the bundesliga these days. Though to be fair, COVID and closed doors seem to be the biggest reason for it, no league has that such a wild, massive swing pre/post lockdown
When did that happen? Also how can you compare those players to Lukaku when they're literally carrying those clubs. Lukaku can't do anything without support - he's literally invisible at times when Inter plays a decent team
Unless you consider Shakhtar and Real Madrid the only decent teams they played this season, this is just plain wrong

NotThatSoph

It happened here: https://www.redcafe.net/threads/rom...h-minute-winner.449595/page-134#post-26140368

My memory was a little bit off, so I apologize for that. You said that Lukaku scoring 70 % of his goals against the bottom 10 proved he was a stat padder. I corrected you, pointed out that it was 65 %, and showed you several players with similar or worse percentages (Suarez, Mane, Salah, Haaland, Sancho, Auba, Messi, Vardy). Suddenly, when learning this, share of goals scored against the bottom 10 isn't the important factor, and you wanted to shift over to "goals scored against decent opposition".

I'm going to repeat myself in advance befor you reply. The funny thing here isn't that you think Lukaku is bad against good teams. The funny thing is how you found this specific metric (% of goals scored against bottom half teams) that you wanted to beat Lukaku with, but then dropping it at once upon learning that the stat was actually fine. It was never about the stat, you had no clue about what was good or bad, you just found something you thought you could use.

InterFan1998

Supports
Internazionale
I disagree that he is a top level striker. He is good, but could you replace him with somebody else and get the same results? Most likely, yes. Will he drag you through the difficult games? No.

United fans also don't like him because of the hissy fits he threw when he was leaving.

I dont know about that. Aguero has scored more against Chelsea than he has against anybody else, and he's always a pain when he plays us, Arsenal or Spurs.

He's got a reasonable Champions League record against the likes of Bayern, but City as a whole usually choke in Europe.

Aguero was twice the striker Lukaku is, in all honesty.
I don’t recall City facing Bayern in the knockouts much. I’m taking about the CL knockout as that was your knock on Lukaku, about not wanting him in the biggest CL games. I agree with you but I’m saying the same can be said of Aguero. Also I’m not sure if this is true but I’ve heard someone say that Aguero is never good in away games to Liverpool for example.

GifLord

It's not, it's as goal-happy as the bundesliga these days. Though to be fair, COVID and closed doors seem to be the biggest reason for it, no league has that such a wild, massive swing pre/post lockdown

Unless you consider Shakhtar and Real Madrid the only decent teams they played this season, this is just plain wrong
He's yet to score against Juventus, Atalanta & Roma - he's been practically Invisible in these matches despite playing at least 4 times against each.
He's been shit in UCL this season against one of the worst Real Madrid sides in probably over 15 years, 0 goals against Shaktar in 180min of play despite scoring 2 last year against them in Europa League - he did score them when the game was already finished (3:0 - > 5:0) and his fanboys here went Nuts
Last year again also shit in Champions league. Needed a win vs Barca B team and he couldn't produce despite having numerous chances, was a disaster vs Slavia, Invisible vs BVB.
Europa League Final missed a 1v1 and then scored an OG.
When the team needs him in crucial moments he will feck up it's pretty much documented at this point

GifLord

Italy has won 4 World Cups and played some finals! :)
What does that have to do with the current gen? Italy in the last 10 years were a joke of a national team. The quality of players they've produced in the last 15 years is depressingly poor when you look at the ones from the past generations probably one of the worst.