Romelu Lukaku | Mourinho Part III | Roma watch

He was really bad at United. It was the wrong club for him. I was relieved when we managed to sell him.

He's been prolific for Inter though and they are clearly very happy with him. Was also great for Belgium at the last WC too.
Doesn’t have the mentality to be at a big club.

Everton/ Inter / West Brom is his level.

I’m sure it will go pear shaped soon enough at Inter. When Conte leaves he will be in trouble. Any modern manager wouldn’t want Lukaku around.

EwanI Ted

He was really bad at United. It was the wrong club for him. I was relieved when we managed to sell him.

He's been prolific for Inter though and they are clearly very happy with him. Was also great for Belgium at the last WC too.
Goals aren't his problem, he's always scored. The problem was the sacrifice to our all round play needed to fit him in the team due to problems his lack of work rate, poor touch and limited hold up/link play. That's ok if you're talking about a true goal a game striker. But Lukaku is generally a 1 in 2 striker, and one whose poor basics mean he struggles as the opponents get better.

Philo

I’m sure it will go pear shaped soon enough at Inter. When Conte leaves he will be in trouble. Any modern manager wouldn’t want Lukaku around.
I'm not disagreeing with you but man putting West Brom at the same level as Everton and Inter... come on :lol:

SteveW

I’m sure it will go pear shaped soon enough at Inter. When Conte leaves he will be in" trouble. Any modern manager wouldn’t want Lukaku around.
Maybe. He struggled at his first big club but is doing well at a smaller "big club" He also did well at the WC which is a big stage. At his age I think it's a bit soon to say he can't handle it at a big club. Let's wait and see.

He does seem like a pretty insecure person though. Thin skinned. Quick to look for excuses. That just won't work out at a club like United where supporters grew up on Best, Cantona, Rooney and Ronaldo. In an environment like that an attacker with little style and questionable technique will always be subjected to a fair amount of abuse.

But insecure players can succeed in the right environment. I think Italy is a great league for him and he will continue to succeed after Conte goes. Inter supporters will put up with ugly effectiveness. Pragmatism and winning ugly is the Italian way after all.

SteveW

Goals aren't his problem, he's always scored. The problem was the sacrifice to our all round play needed to fit him in the team due to problems his lack of work rate, poor touch and limited hold up/link play. That's ok if you're talking about a true goal a game striker. But Lukaku is generally a 1 in 2 striker, and one whose poor basics mean he struggles as the opponents get better.
Think he's getting around 2 in 3 for them and they are happy with him. Horses for courses. Not good enough for us but definitely good enough for Inter.

Classical Mechanic

He's never injured to his credit. Gets high overall totals by playing most games in all comps for his side. He already has 461 senior club apps at 27 which is at the high end for a player.

EwanI Ted

Think he's getting around 2 in 3 for them and they are happy with him. Horses for courses. Not good enough for us but definitely good enough for Inter.
That includes 6 penalties, he never took pens at his previous clubs (not in recent years anyway). Take those out and he's back to almost spot on 1 in 2 this season, so no real change in his performance in front of goal.

Strelok

Maybe. He struggled at his first big club but is doing well at a smaller "big club" He also did well at the WC which is a big stage. At his age I think it's a bit soon to say he can't handle it at a big club. Let's wait and see.

He does seem like a pretty insecure person though. Thin skinned. Quick to look for excuses. That just won't work out at a club like United where supporters grew up on Best, Cantona, Rooney and Ronaldo. In an environment like that an attacker with little style and questionable technique will always be subjected to a fair amount of abuse.

But insecure players can succeed in the right environment. I think Italy is a great league for him and he will continue to succeed after Conte goes. Inter supporters will put up with ugly effectiveness. Pragmatism and winning ugly is the Italian way after all.
Are you sure about this mate?

He was lucky af to have the services of De Bruyne and Hazard yet he missed so many sisters. And his hilarious tendency to startle upon a through ball toward him, it even became a meme :lol:

Pretzels81

Not Salty…
We are going to face him in the EL final, aren't we? Ironies of football...

SteveW

Are you sure about this mate?

He was lucky af to have the services of De Bruyne and Hazard yet he missed so many sisters. And his hilarious tendency to startle upon a through ball toward him, it even became a meme :lol:
Yeah, he seemed to do pretty well. Only two players scored more and they got to the semi-final. Pretty sure he had a decent tournament. That's all I've said and I believe its fair.

Of course this counts for nothing if Strelok saw a meme about him. Real high quality discussion here. :rolleyes:

Adamsk7

My view on him is that he is soft mentally and that’s the reason he’s not good enough for us. He let himself get too bulky (that’s entirely down to him, he eats the food and does the weights) and the pressure of playing here made his very average first touch look down right Sunday league level at times.
At Inter, in a slower league where he can easily bully opponent, he’s probably less worried about it and can perform at his potential, which is of a very good striker.

There’s no doubt he gets numbers everywhere he goes but he takes more away from the style of the team than he adds with the goals he scores. It’s a bit like Van Nistelrooy (a vastly better player, mind) who would become almost the sole focus for goals and the rest of the team would get far less as a result.

Irrational.

It's almost inevitable we're facing Inter in the Europa final, with Lukaku on the scoresheet from an Ashley Young assist.

There, I've jinxed it. :devil:

Strelok

Yeah, he seemed to do pretty well. Only two players scored more and they got to the semi-final. Pretty sure he had a decent tournament. That's all I've said and I believe its fair.

Of course this counts for nothing if Strelok saw a meme about him. Real high quality discussion here. :rolleyes:
Well you would go and watch the Belgium matches highlights again and you'd see mate.

I found you some here, watch them and you'd see he missed so many clear cut chances that it's kinda unbelievable. For example at least three against Japan and two against England. It must be so frustrating for KDB and his teammates.

I supported Belgium and France during that WC so I watched all the Belgium matches. His worst match was against France where he failed to register a single shot I think. It was quite hilarious watching the guy tbh :lol:

Luke1995

I think Lukaku never wanted to join Manchester United. Did he have any other options at the time ?

Definitely seems like he puts in more effort at Inter

I think Lukaku never wanted to join Manchester United. Did he have any other options at the time ?

Definitely seems like he puts in more effort at Inter
Of course he wanted to join Utd.

The BS that’s come after is because he’s pandering to his new club, and also trying to justify why he was so bad.

Ultimately he walked through the gates of OT (Carrington), and at that point he thought he made it big time. Some players see this at motivation to push forward and improve, he clearly reacted in his laurels and stopped working hard enough.

OGS is very pragmatic and doesn’t bad mouth players, just look at the way he handled Sanchez - but it’s obvious he wanted him gone, or at the best told him he would never be a starter if everyone else was fit. At that point we started to get all the BS from Lukaku.

Yes he has options, Chelsea wanted him, and he had a very clear choice between us and them.

romufc

Why does he sulk after every goal he scores?

Did it here and now does it there. I don't get it.
I think it's just how he is.

When you watch him play, when someone misses the shot on goal and he is there he is always sulking throwing his arms in the air and both palms pointing to his feet. But when someone does pass to him and he fluffs his lines completely, holds his face in shock.

MetoTTT

I'm not worried.

Don't remember Lukaku play any game well vs Maguire at Leicester. And the likes of Blind and McNair could get a hold of him easily to have quiet games. Lindelof have similar playstyle.
It means nothing. Every game has his own history to be written. Rom isn't as bad as many seems to say it here. So he could hurt us (hopefully not) if we play vs Inter.

Green_Red

I'm not even exaggerating here, Lakaku is the reason I know I could have been a professional footballer.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
He’s a flat track bully. He’s no good against top teams. Sure, he’ll score 4 against Bournemouth, but he ain’t doing shit against City & Liverpool.

One dimensional stat padder against shit teams. How many memorable Lukaku moments can you think of? He doesn’t score big goals.

midnightmare

He’s a flat track bully. He’s no good against top teams. Sure, he’ll score 4 against Bournemouth, but he ain’t doing shit against City & Liverpool.

One dimensional stat padder against shit teams. How many memorable Lukaku moments can you think of? He doesn’t score big goals.
Well, there were these 2 against some Parisien team...
Damn! I really don't like Lukaku and don't rate him highly, but let's not forget that he did occasionally get the job done.

clarkydaz

Damn! I really don't like Lukaku and don't rate him highly, but let's not forget that he did occasionally get the job done.
Yes, bar that game can you think of goals in tight high profile games for us?

midnightmare

Yes, bar that game can you think of goals in tight high profile games for us?
CBA. I’m trying to forget that period. I didn’t want him even when we were linked. Hoped he’d come good for us once we’d signed him but couldn’t wait to be rid by the end of it. Am glad he’s gone and couldn’t care less what he does at Inter. Genuinely wish I could erase the memories so am not going to strain to recall a thing!

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Really suits more direct football. Like technically inferior version of Drogba. Conte getting the best out of him
What are the similarities between them? It’s like calling Pogba “the new Vieira” (which, need I remind you, was actually a thing). Drogba was strong as an ox, had fantastic link up play and capable of scoring an odd screamer as well as outjump any defender in the air. Lukaku is a good poacher (actually, the only thing Drogba wasn’t consistently good at – scoring tons of goals), he’s doesn’t know how to use his body, his link up play is inconsistent at best... Let’s not even go and look at their big game credentials.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
I know that that particular criticism is simply unfair (a goal is a goal), but he absolutely butchered the dribbling around a keeper part before the first goal and got insanely lucky that he was able to finish it. Maybe I’ve watched too much of Fenomeno recently. Fair play to him though, his goals were crucial for us in that game.

Valencia Shin Crosses

I really wish people would go back and watch that game. He scored 2 and both were practically unmissable, especially the second. It’s not like he had a fantastic game and scored some tough chances, PSG gifted us both of them with a back pass and a howler from Buffon.

midnightmare

I know that that particular criticism is simply unfair (a goal is a goal), but he absolutely butchered the dribbling around a keeper part before the first goal and got insanely lucky that he was able to finish it. Maybe I’ve watched too much of Fenomeno recently. Fair play to him though, his goals were crucial for us in that game.
I really wish people would go back and watch that game. He scored 2 and both were practically unmissable, especially the second. It’s not like he had a fantastic game and scored some tough chances, PSG gifted us both of them with a back pass and a howler from Buffon.
Sigh. To repeat what I said - I absolutely don't rate Lukaku - never did; even before we went for him. I am just a pedant by nature and couldn't resist. :lol::lol::lol:.

RashyForPM

Literally the reason why us fans and Ole practically drove him out. Start owning up ffs. Doesn’t help the club and it’s fans, doesn’t help Ole and doesn’t help himself.