Romelu Lukaku | Mourinho Part III | Roma watch

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Two very easy goals for him. Now he doesn't hit the ball right in front of goal. Benevento are terrible. Typical Lukaku in action here.
Forgot that the goals don't count if they are against a team not for fighting for the title! :lol:

Champ

He has not scored a goal against a top 4 team in over 20+ games
If you merit for how great a player is for scoring against cannon fodder teams then props to you
Dear oh dear,

7 goals in Europa League last season, scored goals where ever he's gone, 23 goals scored last season, but yeah roll out a stat that is incorrect :lol::lol:

Paul_Scholes18

Inter looking like title challengers. Hakimi is a really good signing. Young look so fit too. Shows how much better Inters fitness team is compared to ours.
People blame rest for us, but I say blame our fitness team and management.
Lukaku looks like he did last season.

Champ

Inter looking like title challengers. Hakimi is a really good signing. Young look so fit too. Shows how much better Inters fitness team is compared to ours.
People blame rest for us, but I say blame our fitness team and management.
Indeed,
Although I don't blame management as such, moreso the players not keeping themselves in check during them weeks off. Would have been imperative to maintain a level of fitness however it appeared that the break was too much of one for a few if you know what i mean

GifLord

Better at GIFs than posts
Dear oh dear,

7 goals in Europa League last season, scored goals where ever he's gone, 23 goals scored last season, but yeah roll out a stat that is incorrect :lol::lol:
70% of his goals last season came against bottom 10 teams but sure keep going on with the stat padder.

Matriac

Dear oh dear,

Romelu, you left the club over a year ago now, why are you still logging on here?

Paul_Scholes18

Indeed,
Although I don't blame management as such, moreso the players not keeping themselves in check during them weeks off. Would have been imperative to maintain a level of fitness however it appeared that the break was too much of one for a few if you know what i mean
Could be players not doing what they should and also some getting the virus like Pogba. It is not just this summer though. We have always struggled with fitness and injuries for as long as I can remember.
I guess it is not the same persons working with it, but something is not right behind the scenes.
Inter seems to improve so many old players fitness. They are doing something right. Just like Juve, Liverpool, Bayern do with players always looking fit and ready to go.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Forgot that the goals don't count if they are against a team not for fighting for the title! :lol:
I mean they do count less when the whole team is scoring and he famously doesn't score when it matters the most. Only Lukaku can score 2 goals and then in front of open goal fail to hit the ball that comes toward him cleanly on the grass.

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP
70% of his goals last season came against bottom 10 teams but sure keep going on with the stat padder.
That is completely normal, most top players score most of their league goals against the bottom half of the table. Are they all statpadders?

You'll find a way to devalue his goals no matter what he does.

RashyForPM

Some people in here are just ignorant. Goals against weaker teams don’t count now do they? If we had a flat-track bully last season, we’d have challenged City for 2nd.

I wouldn’t take Lukaku back as while he’s a top pure striker, he wouldn’t fit with our style of play. However, we do need a pure finisher to kill off small teams. The Cavani links are promising.

Paul_Scholes18

Your Troll act is really boring now
Read it in context to what I answered as a joke. I am not even fully sure since it is a few days ago, but it was about fitness.
It is still a good point that Inter look fully fit and we do not. Even when they had much less rest than us.

GifLord

That is completely normal, most top players score most of their league goals against the bottom half of the table. Are they all statpadders?

You'll find a way to devalue his goals no matter what he does.
Top players also score against good teams. When has Lukaku done that?
Inter got relegated to Europa League - cause of Lukaku
Inter lost the Europa League final - cause of Lukaku
i rest my case

GifLord

Some people in here are just ignorant. Goals against weaker teams don’t count now do they? If we had a flat-track bully last season, we’d have challenged City for 2nd.

I wouldn’t take Lukaku back as while he’s a top pure striker, he wouldn’t fit with our style of play. However, we do need a pure finisher to kill off small teams. The Cavani links are promising.
Are you guys actually watching Serie A?
Bottom teams are much, much weaker compared to any other league.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
Lukaku did not get the service he badly needed in Man Utd. Mou wanted to buy Persic to fix the issue but it didn't happen. Lukaku left Man Utd for Inter was a win win situation for both himself and Man Utd. Man Utd didn't really lose much money for his transfer too if i remember correctly.

Paul_Scholes18

Lukaku did not get the service he badly needed in Man Utd. Mou wanted to buy Persic to fix the issue but it didn't happen. Lukaku left Man Utd for Inter was a win win situation for both himself and Man Utd. Man Utd didn't really lose much money for his transfer too if i remember correctly.
I don't think we have won with getting the money unless we spend it on another attacker. Doesn't look like we will get Sancho. I guess we got Bruno though partly from that money so that is good.

He’s not a top striker. It’s not just style. It’s his appalling fitness, and attitude. His record against good teams stinks.

And yes, clearly strikers are more likely to score against poorer teams. But that doesn’t mean they should never score against a top team like Lukaku.

1 goal in 23 appearances against the top 6 whilst at Utd. That’s beyond pathetic.

Your top strikers make a difference in the big games.

Not every big game obviously, but here you have a striker who provides nothing against top sides. You can’t have a striker and only play him against relegation fodder.

RashyForPM

Are you guys actually watching Serie A?
Bottom teams are much, much weaker compared to any other league.
He hammers the weak teams wherever he goes, including England. As a matter of fact, his top scoring league season was in 2016-17 with Everton, not last season at Inter. His productivity against small teams, whether West Ham or Benevento, is sensational wherever he goes. It’s his record against sides like Juventus or Liverpool which is the problem.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
He’s not a top striker. It’s not just style. It’s his appalling fitness, and attitude. His record against good teams stinks.

And yes, clearly strikers are more likely to score against poorer teams. But that doesn’t mean they should never score against a top team like Lukaku.

1 goal in 23 appearances against the top 6 whilst at Utd. That’s beyond pathetic.

Your top strikers make a difference in the big games.

Not every big game obviously, but here you have a striker who provides nothing against top sides. You can’t have a striker and only play him against relegation fodder.
I cant think of one game that the donkey dominated.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir

We picked up 22 out of 24 available points against teams that finished 2nd-6th. With this donkey in the team we would have lost at least half of those points to our direct rivals. Never mind challenging for 2nd, we'd be in a battle for top 6.

The ignorant ones are those who only look at his goals tally and not his overall contribution to the team. There's a reason why his only trophy is the Belgian league at the age of 16. If you build your team around a flat track bully you'll get found out in the big games at the big stage.

If he wants to win things he'll have to get rid of his ego and accept a rotational role. Do his thing against the cannon fodders, sit on the bench against the big boys. But he's way too full of himself to ever realise that.

RashyForPM

We picked up 22 out of 24 available points against teams that finished 2nd-6th. With this donkey in the team we would have lost at least half of those points to our direct rivals. Never mind challenging for 2nd, we'd be in a battle for top 6.

The ignorant ones are those who only look at his goals tally and not his overall contribution to the team. There's a reason why his only trophy is the Belgian league at the age of 16. If you build your team around a flat track bully you'll get found out in the big games at the big stage.

If he wants to win things he'll have to get rid of his ego and accept a rotational role. Do his thing against the cannon fodders, sit on the bench against the big boys. But he's way too full of himself to ever realise that.
Hence why I wouldn’t take him back. I even name dropped Cavani as the option to score those goals against weaker teams. Lukaku is good, but not for teams like us.

There's a thin line between arrogance and self confidence I guess. I never thought of him as arrogant.
I love arrogant players, and those with self confidence. But it’s utterly bizarre for someone to have so much arrogance about his own ability, who is so utterly poor like Lukaku. Perhaps it’s not arrogance, but a shocking over estimation of his ability and worth.

At the same time, he clearly lacks self confidence because time and time again we see he cannot take any sort of criticism. He’s so thin skinned.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
I love arrogant players, and those with self confidence. But it’s utterly bizarre for someone to have so much arrogance about his own ability, who is so utterly poor like Lukaku. Perhaps it’s not arrogance, but a shocking over estimation of his ability and worth.

At the same time, he clearly lacks self confidence because time and time again we see he cannot take any sort of criticism. He’s so thin skinned.
And yet at the same time he has top
managers at top clubs prepared to pay him top wages?

I agree he lacks certain attributes which offends those who demand beautiful looking football, but he also world class on other attributes and has aided teams he has played for to win plenty of games.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan

But none of this seems true for Inter?

Idxomer

He has his obvious limitations but this is pure hyperbole.

No player who scores as much as he is poor and he's done it for years.

I agree he lacks certain attributes which offends those who demand beautiful looking football, but he also world class on other attributes and has aided teams he has played for to win plenty of games.
He has no world class attributes. What are they?

You’ve got two managers in Jose and Conte cut from the same cloth who wanted him. Thank god for Conte - who has taken Lukaku, Sanchez and Young!

Yet these managers have won nothing with him as their striker.

Irwin99

I cant think of one game that the donkey dominated.
Generally agree but in fairness he had a few very good games as a sole striker; vs Liverpool at home (think he had a hand in both Rashford's goals in the 2-1 win) and also a very good game against Arsenal away where he played well as a target man in a 3-1 or 3-2 win. You could see on a few occasions where he might have been developed into a better target man under Jose but too often it went to crap because of his poor first touch and sluggishness.

A big reason why Jose failed here is that he failed to turn Lukaku and Pogba into the players he wanted them to become.

He has his obvious limitations but this is pure hyperbole.

No player who scores as much as he is poor and he's done it for years.
Sorry I’ll rephrase. He’s good at scoring against poor defences, and is utterly appalling when playing against half decent sides.

Is that better?

Generally agree but in fairness he had a few very good games as a sole striker; vs Liverpool at home (think he had a hand in both Rashford's goals in the 2-1 win) and also a very good game against Arsenal away where he played well as a target man in a 3-1 or 3-2 win. You could see on a few occasions where he might have been developed into a better target man under Jose but too often it went to crap because of his poor first touch and sluggishness.

A big reason why Jose failed here is that he failed to turn Lukaku and Pogba into the players he wanted them to become.
You can’t polish a turd. A big reason why Jose failed was his unwavering support for a striker who wasn’t good enough. Playing him every single game. He ended up with 16 league goals in his first season and 12 in his seasons season. For a guaranteed, sole striker - that’s not good enough.

Champ

He has no world class attributes. What are they?

You’ve got two managers in Jose and Conte cut from the same cloth who wanted him. Thank god for Conte - who has taken Lukaku, Sanchez and Young!

Yet these managers have won nothing with him as their striker.
We've won loads with Martial haven't we...does that mean he's poor?
Strange way of thinking.
Lukaku played in a team that finished a point of too and got through to a final in a major European competition, in which he came second top scorer, that's a better season than Martial, Rashford et al,

DixieDean

Everton Fan
Supports
Everton
Lukaku's a very good player. Always has been. The bitterness on show in here is quite something.

We've won loads with Martial haven't we...does that mean he's poor?
Strange way of thinking.
Lukaku played in a team that finished a point of too and got through to a final in a major European competition, in which he came second top scorer, that's a better season than Martial, Rashford et al,
It’s not the ultimate barometer of course. But it’s telling he’s never won a thing!

Furthermore, you should probably have a look at Martial’s trophy cabinet - it’s not what we would want, but a hell of a lot better than Lukaku!

As a three, Rashford, Greenwood and Rashford outscored Liverpool. One was an 18 year old, the other two missed big chunks of the season. We are dramatically better without Lukaku.

Compare his 2nd season to Martials first season playing as our striker and he outperformed Lukaku in every respect. The PL is a far harder league than Italy - so that comparison is loaded.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal

He is strong, tall, big, fast and he is a good reference point center forward/target man. Imagine having Lukaku as CF and Adama Traore as RW in the same team, and a inside forward play on the left to cut inside. Sounds good on paper isn't it?

Champ

It’s not the ultimate barometer of course. But it’s telling he’s never won a thing!

Furthermore, you should probably have a look at Martial’s trophy cabinet - it’s not what we would want, but a hell of a lot better than Lukaku!

As a three, Rashford, Greenwood and Rashford outscored Liverpool. One was an 18 year old, the other two missed big chunks of the season. We are dramatically better without Lukaku.

Compare his 2nd season to Martials first season playing as our striker and he outperformed Lukaku in every respect. The PL is a far harder league than Italy - so that comparison is loaded.
I don't doubt we're better without Lukaku,
What is in doubt is calling Lukaku out for scoring goals, Lukaku got more league goals last season than any of our front three, but that probably doesn't count because they were against the likes of Fiorentina and Genoa rather than Brighton and Southampton.
It's telling that Inter got through to the final of the Europa League and we didn't, Serie A has quality running through it, the old adage of the premiership being the best is slightly outdated now.

Halftrack

but he also world class on other attributes and has aided teams he has played for to win plenty of games
He most definitely isn't. Lukaku's a good player, but there's not a single quality of his that could be described as "world class."

He is strong, tall, big, fast and he is a good reference point center forward/target man. Imagine having Lukaku as CF and Adama Traore as RW in the same team, and a inside forward play on the left to cut inside. Sounds good on paper isn't it?
No, because Lukaku is really bad at using his physique.