Romelu Lukaku | Mourinho Part III | Roma watch

InterFan1998

Supports
Internazionale
Would you swap him with martial?
Personally I wouldn’t want either starting at my club. Martial is better on a technical level and has better link up play, however from what I’ve seen he tends to be a moody players in the sense that he’ll have matches where he just does not show up or seem in a mood to play. I’m also not sure how well he would work with Lautaro either. I’d probably still have Lukaku given I think he’s a better fit with Lautaro not that Lukaku is a better player than Martial.

ghagua

Lukaku wasn't a regular scorer for us either. After scoring 7 goals in his first 7 games, he went on a run of 1 goal in the next 9. After that he had 3 spells of not scoring a goal in 6+ games and only scored 17 goals in 49 starts in the league - with only one of them being against a team in the top 6. There's people in this thread acting as if he was a reliable goalscorer, who excuse his laughable record against the top 6 because he scored consistently against lower opposition but that isn't the case and it's baffling how people misremember this.

Our strikers aren't doing great at the moment and I could understand if Lukaku had never played for us and people were seeing his decent stats in Serie A and hypothesising how he'd do for us.. but he has been here, his stats were average, his fitness was poor and his performances were consistently woeful.
You are just laughable. We have a striker who has magical feet but does not score, then we have Lukaku who can't stop scoring. But feck me, scoring in the Champions League does not count because it's Lukaku who is scoring. You and people like you are just so laughable. You are just not worth my time.

blemis

Supports
spurs
You just compared Lukaku to two of the greatest players ever to have graced the game. Noone is going to take you serious. We’ve seen what he is about, and we don’t want him here. Will you people move the feck on?
The point is you can make bad compilation even from the very best players and just when i say it, i found them on youtube. Lukaku is still better than what you have , you should have supported him , he could be banging in goals for you in his prime years instead now you have to rely on 33 years old striker because the other 2 lads you supported and love weren't even proper striker to begin with
Given Lukaku scored 27 for us in one season, and Martial and Radhford scored 23 and 22 last season in their first seasons as our main goal scorers, I could definitely say that if Lukaku can score 30 in a proper team then the other two can as well.
The other 2 can't and will never hit 30 in their career. One had a purple patch that season the other one took all the penalties, Lukaku didn't score as much in his last season because Ole made him benchwarmer. I remember him scoring brace in 3 straight games including against PSG , but then he missed sitter against Arsenal and got benched till the end of season. So much injustice and hate he got at United , all the bad stuff is being hyperbole and all the good things is being downplayed. I would have wanted to leave the club as well if i was him

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Personally I wouldn’t want either starting at my club. Martial is better on a technical level and has better link up play, however from what I’ve seen he tends to be a moody players in the sense that he’ll have matches where he just does not show up or seem in a mood to play. I’m also not sure how well he would work with Lautaro either. I’d probably still have Lukaku given I think he’s a better fit with Lautaro not that Lukaku is a better player than Martial.
Thanks for the answer. Fair enough

Paul_Scholes18

It is not fun, but letting him go and putting our faith in Martial doesn't look that good right now.
I still have faith in Martial finding form again, but he had an awful night.
Lukaku on the other hand just had a brilliant night and a brilliant season even though Inter have been pretty poor in CL.

Stacks

The point is you can make bad compilation even from the very best players and just when i say it, i found them on youtube. Lukaku is still better than what you have , you should have supported him , he could be banging in goals for you in his prime years instead now you have to rely on 33 years old striker because the other 2 lads you supported and love weren't even proper striker to begin with

The other 2 can't and will never hit 30 in their career. One had a purple patch that season the other one took all the penalties, Lukaku didn't score as much in his last season because Ole made him benchwarmer. I remember him scoring brace in 3 straight games including against PSG , but then he missed sitter against Arsenal and got benched till the end of season. So much injustice and hate he got at United , all the bad stuff is being hyperbole and all the good things is being downplayed. I would have wanted to leave the club as well if i was him
But Lukaku has 11 goals this season and Rashford has 9 and Rash isn't even playing particularly well.....

Lukaku played over 1000 mins and 600 mins more than "those 2" you mentioned last season. Lukaku also scored 8 penalties last season, Rashford scored only 7 :houllier:.

MalcolmTucker

You are just laughable. We have a striker who has magical feet but does not score, then we have Lukaku who can't stop scoring. But feck me, scoring in the Champions League does not count because it's Lukaku who is scoring. You and people like you are just so laughable. You are just not worth my time.
Why are you getting all upset just because I stated some facts? I never even mentioned anything about the champions league. Bit rich calling me laughable when you're the oddball getting upset about Lukaku while we were actually playing a game last night :lol:

But Lukaku has 11 goals this season and Rashford has 9 and Rash isn't even playing particularly well.....

Lukaku played over 1000 mins and 600 mins more than "those 2" you mentioned last season. Lukaku also scored 8 penalties last season, Rashford scored only 7 :houllier:.
Yeah I never take the opinions of supporters from other clubs seriously. Unless you watch Lukaku playing 90 minutes every week, you don't really understand his limitations. Think it says a lot that you have fans from other clubs saying he is one of the best strikers in the world yet the Inter fan who posted in this thread would still rather he didn't play for his club despite Lukaku scoring a load, being in better shape and after one of the his best performances

Last edited:

He is having awesome season.
He numbers are good, but have you watched Serie A this season? It is awful, as bad as i've ever seen it. A 39 year old Ibrahimović is top scorer, followed by Ronaldo who has missed half the season with Covid. Lukaku is his normal self and is in the perfect league for his style.

Stacks

Why are you getting all upset just because I stated some facts? I never even mentioned anything about the champions league. Bit rich calling me laughable when you're the oddball getting upset about Lukaku while we were actually playing a game last night :lol:

Yeah I never take the opinions of supporters from other clubs seriously. Unless you watch Lukaku playing 90 minutes every week, you don't really understand his limitations. Think it says a lot that you have fans from other clubs saying he is one of the best strikers in the world yet the Inter fan who posted in this thread would still rather he didn't play for his club despite Lukaku scoring a load, being in better shape and after one of the his best performances
Its sounds CRAZY but if he played for a club you support and watch, it makes perfect sense.

Botim

Supports
Royal Antwerp FC
Gazzetta dello sport front page today:

(not the best play on words tbh :))

Revaulx

For a very few games (a CL group game in Moscow comes to mind) Jose played Lukaku right and Martial left in a two-up-front. I thought it worked well; Lukaku’s general play, which on his own was poor to non-existent, improved massively and we played some decent football. Of course Jose had to revert to his beloved 4231, in which Lukaku always looked awkward.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
What is clear, he wouldn’t have missed that Martial chance. He scored two in Paris one which was harder. Wish people stop portraying him as some clown on here.

Not in an way saying I would like him back but he would have been a brilliant foil last night. He’d have bullied their CBs

What is clear, he wouldn’t have missed that Martial chance. He scored two in Paris one which was harder. Wish people stop portraying him as some clown on here.

Not in an way saying I would like him back but he would have been a brilliant foil last night. He’d have bullied their CBs
Let's not pretend he didn't miss plenty of sitters just like that one when he was here

Handré1990

Your post warranted ridicule, that is all. Since you quoted me back, I’ll answer you. You talk about compilations, I mean, really?! I bet most posters on here watched every minute of Lukaku at United, we don’t need someone to tell us he got a raw deal. Watching him felt like a piece of comical relief in midst of tragedy. It should be a bannable offense comparing that lumbering oaf to Ronaldo, never mind Messi.

Renegade

He was awful in his 2nd season with us and will never be a great footballer. However he is a incredible striker/goalscorer that can’t be denied and I’m almost certain he would flourish with Bruno and DVB behind him.

Let’s not forget what his support cast looked like when he was here. I don’t understand how we sign players with no idea of how to best utilise them. Pogba for £90m and Lukaku for £80m. Jose wanted to use Lukaku the way he is using Kane now but he doesn’t the ability to play that way. His a poacher who just happens to be built like a target man. I feel like Jose just thought he’d replicate what Ibra did the season before without changing anything.

Not every striker has to be this perfect/complete 9 with amazing link up play and equally amazing goalscoring stats.

That being said Lukaku let himself down after the World Cup in terms of his fitness & condition. Mentally he didn’t respond well to criticism of losing his place either. It’s a shame it didn’t work out.

Stacks

Your post warranted ridicule, that is all. Since you quoted me back, I’ll answer you. You talk about compilations, I mean, really?! I bet most posters on here watched every minute of Lukaku at United, we don’t need someone to tell us he got a raw deal. Watching him felt like a piece of comical relief in midst of tragedy. It should be a bannable offense comparing that lumbering oaf to Ronaldo, never mind Messi.
That's what irked me. The guy didn't even try, hardly ran and spent time pointing for his teammates to run here and there whilst walking. Also got big and didn't have the discipline to lose weight, despite having all the resources to do so. He was lazy and I don't use this word lightly. His attitude stank. I was shocked that a former Everton player would come to us with such grandeur. I expected it from Zlatan because its Zlatan, but he was actually cool and a great role model/leader for the team and you could see he had a great attitude.

Stacks

He was awful in his 2nd season with us and will never be a great footballer. However he is a incredible striker/goalscorer that can’t be denied and I’m almost certain he would flourish with Bruno and DVB behind him.

Let’s not forget what his support cast looked like when he was here. I don’t understand how we sign players with no idea of how to best utilise them. Pogba for £90m and Lukaku for £80m. Jose wanted to use Lukaku the way he is using Kane now but he doesn’t the ability to play that way. His a poacher who just happens to be built like a target man. I feel like Jose just thought he’d replicate what Ibra did the season before without changing anything.

Not every striker has to be this perfect/complete 9 with amazing link up play and equally amazing goalscoring stats.

That being said Lukaku let himself down after the World Cup in terms of his fitness & condition. Mentally he didn’t respond well to criticism of losing his place either. It’s a shame it didn’t work out.
Jose wasted hella money. Matic for 40 mill too. 170mill and we were generally unsatisfied.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Let's not pretend he didn't miss plenty of sitters just like that one when he was here

This is why I can’t behind the “he’s a great goalscorer” stuff. He’s not. He has his moments and somehow manages to finish on a decent tally because of it

what is clear is that we have no idea whether he would have scored or missed that chance? Given his fitness when he was here, it’s doubtful he would have got to it.

Trevor Sinclair scored one of the greatest goals of the last 30+ years, doesn’t mean anything when it comes to subsequent chances.

Paul_Scholes18

This is why I can’t behind the “he’s a great goalscorer” stuff. He’s not. He has his moments and somehow manages to finish on a decent tally because of it
He is good at getting to chances though. You can't take away that skill.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
what is clear is that we have no idea whether he would have scored or missed that chance? Given his fitness when he was here, it’s doubtful he would have got to it.

Trevor Sinclair scored one of the greatest goals of the last 30+ years, doesn’t mean anything when it comes to subsequent chances.
That's irrelevant. We're talking about the irrational abuse that Lukaku gets. What is even clearer is the better goal scoring record over Martial. That alone tells me that he would have gobbled up at least one of the chances

GifLord

Better at GIFs than posts
That's irrelevant. We're talking about the irrational abuse that Lukaku gets. What is even clearer is the better goal scoring record over Martial. That alone tells me that he would have gobbled up at least one of the chances
He also has a track record of missing chances when it matters but lets just ignore that and look at the stats

it’s relevant, because you brought into the matter that he scored a better goal, and therefore would score an easier one. It’s an irrational argument.

Lukaku failed in the big games, and one PSG games aside couldn’t hit a barn door against a decent side. To then determine that he would have scored last night is a flawed analysis. There’s nothing to suggest he would have scored - and as I said, it’s a really pointless argument, because it can’t be proved or disproved.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
For a very few games (a CL group game in Moscow comes to mind) Jose played Lukaku right and Martial left in a two-up-front. I thought it worked well; Lukaku’s general play, which on his own was poor to non-existent, improved massively and we played some decent football. Of course Jose had to revert to his beloved 4231, in which Lukaku always looked awkward.
Yep. Lukaku gets to play next to another striker at inter. What this means is that A) opposing defences can't just throw multiple defenders on him, so he gets a lot more 1on1 situations where he can put his combination of size, strength and occasionally pace to good use, massively improving his ability to receive and hold onto the ball and B) he always has a player close by to link up with, massively improving his link up play as well

This season he seems to be growing into a leadership role as well. He's 27 and seems to be entering his prime. He'll never be Eto'o, i don't think, but he's a great fecking player

How he would've done at united is irrelevant

blemis

Supports
spurs
He numbers are good, but have you watched Serie A this season? It is awful, as bad as i've ever seen it. A 39 year old Ibrahimović is top scorer, followed by Ronaldo who has missed half the season with Covid. Lukaku is his normal self and is in the perfect league for his style.
Such a disrespect to Serie A when we just watched the 8th team in serie A just spanked mighty Liverpool last week.

I would understand the hate if you guys are doing better without him and winning all the trophies but you guys aren't , factually are doing worse without. United were flying with him for the first 10 games when he scored almost every game ? And then he missed sitter against Liverpool , got all the hate and his performance start dropping , i remember him not celebrating a goal because of the media and fanbase criticism during his barren period. The problem was you guys supported lesser players than him and willing to tolerate their mediocrity while not doing the same for him. If i were him i would be pissed off and losing confidence as well.

GifLord

Better at GIFs than posts
Such a disrespect to Serie A when we just watched the 8th team in serie A just spanked mighty Liverpool last week.
Atalanta are kinda shit/inconsistent this season - they may beat a good team but then lose to a bottom feeder the next week

blemis

Supports
spurs
Atalanta are kinda shit/inconsistent this season - they may beat a good team but then lose to a bottom feeder the next week
Tells us a lot about the quality of serie A , even the bottom feeder could beat anyone else. Let's not forget that ,Moh Salah, came from Serie A , absolutely thrashing EPL when he cameback here.He wasn't even half the player at serie A.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time

He missed plenty of easy chances while here, and he very rarely bullied any centre backs.

Lukaku's first season was decent (both Martial and Rashford scored more league goals last season despite both missing a decent chunk of the season through injury) but it amazes me people are trying to pretend that his disgraceful second season didn't happen. His performances that season warrant him being 'portrayed as a clown'. He was absolutely incredibly amazingly bad for most of that season. Much worse than what Martial has been so far this season, and he was like that for longer.

RedDevilCanuck

Quite dreamy - blue eyes, blond hair, tanned skin

Even Jose dropped him. JM overplayed him and overhyped him in the media and still Lukaku was benched because he was terrible.

Good striker but never elite.

Please don't mention stats, I watch games. Inter are a disappointment still.

RedDevil@84

:lol:
Completely untrue. He missed sitters here as well. He also screwed up goal-scoring opportunities because his first touch failed him. I am no Martial fan, but Lukaku is not the solution for the Martial situation

432JuanMata

He is an awesome striker. Always was.
Depends if you mean a striker as pure goal scorer or all round ? He is a awesome goal scorer always was and still is but all round he is hit and miss.
The one thing I hate is that he scored more goals in his first season here than either Martial or Rashford last season yet they were giving praise. The stick to beat him is his 2nd season here but the whole team and mainly the manager was in meltdown

UnofficialDevil

Anti Scottish and Preoccupied with Donkeys.
I'm not anti Scottish, I just wanted Moyes out.
Depends if you mean a striker as pure goal scorer or all round ? He is a awesome goal scorer always was and still is but all round he is hit and miss.
The one thing I hate is that he scored more goals in his first season here than either Martial or Rashford last season yet they were giving praise. The stick to beat him is his 2nd season here but the whole team and mainly the manager was in meltdown
Well not all-rounder in the sense that Rooney was, but as a striker. He is massive but with loads of pace and can score form anywhere in the box any angle, and is also great with his back against the defence.