Romelu Lukaku | Mourinho Part III | Roma watch

Litch

Looking from 'we want to win the league and UCL' perspective, sure, a player as limited as him leading the line is not what a team of champions have. But our perspective is actually 'we want to reach top 4' and selling by far our best goalscorer hasn't been the right move.
....also even wanting to win the league, doesnt require a world class squad. I look at that Liverpool team and think there are many players that I would not have entertained when they were available. The players that won them the CL, weren't always their stars and it wasn't ours either when we won it. The irony is, it was Rom's goals that played a significant part in the purple patch which amounted to Ole getting the job.....

He's doing pretty good. 9 goals in 11 games. Currently sitting only after Immobile in the top scorer chart.

Inter are second in the league 1 point behind Juve who are also struggling lately. If they manage to win the league he will be a very good buy for them.
Inter fans aren't exactly delighted with him. In their mind they've swapped a goalscorer with a crazy wife for a goalscorer with a horrific touch, and paid 75m for the privilege.

UncleBob

Scoring against them both. Also played for the bottom 10 teams and still scored. Scored international goals too. Great business, sell your best goalscorer cause he doesn't fit the way you want to play, then don't play that way anyway. Say he didn't want to be here, but keep Pogs who equally didn't want to be here? Sell him cause it's about bringing Mason through, then don't play him or only bring him on for 5 mins. There's a whole new level of bullshit in this football club.
I'm gonna borrow from Fergies book and change the teams a bit, but feck off and support Lukaku at Inter then.

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
We should nab Martinez from these lot as we’ve done them a favour by letting them have Lukaku........

Untd55

This is looking like a better decision by the day: selling a striker who has scored 9 in 11.

People say selling him was the right choice and it was not getting a replacement that was the problem, but that inherently makes selling him the wrong choice. If you are saying that a player needs a replacement, it is clear that that player had a positive impact on the team.

If they had no impact or a negative impact, selling should have had either a positive impact or no impact at all. It is pretty clear that selling him has completely destroyed our goalscoring ability. Awful decision.

Enigma_87

You know who
Inter fans aren't exactly delighted with him. In their mind they've swapped a goalscorer with a crazy wife for a goalscorer with a horrific touch, and paid 75m for the privilege.
Sure he’s not aesthetically pleasing, but Icarus was gone either way and they did their best to replace him.

At the end of the day giving them a shot at the title (for the first time since 10 years) will probably make up for his horrific touch and frustration in the build up.

MrEleson

Lukaku’s touch might be bad but he’s much more well-rounded than Icardi who is basically useless outside the box. Lukaku is not bad with link-up and build up play and is decent at crossing.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
This is looking like a better decision by the day: selling a striker who has scored 9 in 11.

People say selling him was the right choice and it was not getting a replacement that was the problem, but that inherently makes selling him the wrong choice. If you are saying that a player needs a replacement, it is clear that that player had a positive impact on the team.

If they had no impact or a negative impact, selling should have had either a positive impact or no impact at all. It is pretty clear that selling him has completely destroyed our goalscoring ability. Awful decision.
we can sell more than half of the squad and should be replaced, not because they had positive effect, it’s because we are short in numbers.

UncleBob

No.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir

Dreadful logic. Young needs replacing. Matic needs replacing. Lingard needs replacing. Mata needs replacing. Several others need replacing. None of these have any positive impact on the team whatsoever.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Bottom 10 Serie A teams are much worse than Bottom 10 PL.
So he scores goals, as long as we're agreed on that.
Don't get why a winning goal against Lecce for example is any less important than a winning goal against Juventus?

UncleBob

Which part didn't you understand ?

Personally i find it a bit odd that people have such love for Lukaku, it would suggest they are bigger fans of the player than the club.

Lets look at his time at the club, he has a good first season at the club,he has his obvious issues but overall it's promising and hopefully something we can build on, he then returns to the club looking like he's gone full Akinfenwa, clearly in no shape whatsoever to play football at the highest level, he'd make a few runs and spend the majority of the match looking knackered. Between the start of the season and 1st of jan he scored 7 goals for the club, combine that with his absurd holier-than-thou attitude, telling other players to shut up and deal with the pressure, only to instantly mouth off about sodding off to Italy as soon as it was made clear that he'd no longer have the same position in the squad. Some strong mentality that, yeah, proper big man. Oh and yeah, it was then followed by him and his agents attempting to force the club into accepting lowball offers from Inter, how much pre-season was he involved in again ? But yeah, lets rub one off for Lukaku and pretend we should've kept him.

Litch

Which part didn't you understand ?

Personally i find it a bit odd that people have such love for Lukaku, it would suggest they are bigger fans of the player than the club.

Lets look at his time at the club, he has a good first season at the club,he has his obvious issues but overall it's promising and hopefully something we can build on, he then returns to the club looking like he's gone full Akinfenwa, clearly in no shape whatsoever to play football at the highest level, he'd make a few runs and spend the majority of the match looking knackered. Between the start of the season and 1st of jan he scored 7 goals for the club, combine that with his absurd holier-than-thou attitude, telling other players to shut up and deal with the pressure, only to instantly mouth off about sodding off to Italy as soon as it was made clear that he'd no longer have the same position in the squad. Some strong mentality that, yeah, proper big man. Oh and yeah, it was then followed by him and his agents attempting to force the club into accepting lowball offers from Inter, how much pre-season was he involved in again ? But yeah, lets rub one off for Lukaku and pretend we should've kept him.
Don't understand the stupidity of your comments. No one has the barometer of football knowledge and it's based on opinions that's a public forum. You talk like you are sat there in the dressing room hearing it when in reality the only things know is what you have read or perceived. Im talking about his ability to score goals, the rest I'll leave to people like you. On that note, kind of says where you are at that when the only response is to swear at a faceless person from behind a screen. Because I have an opinion to whether we should have kept a player or not, doesn't make me any less of a Utd fan and look, I achieved it without calling you a fecking idiot. Have a restful Sunday afternoon.

izec

As plenty have said, selling him without replacing him was the issue. He would still sit on the bench and be thrown in for us if both Rashford and Martial were fit, like yesterday. I was in favour of selling him and buying Ben Yedder (if the rumours were true) for half the fee, but the club decided to buy no one.

UncleBob

Don't understand the stupidity of your comments. No one has the barometer of football knowledge and it's based on opinions that's a public forum. You talk like you are sat there in the dressing room hearing it when in reality the only things know is what you have read or perceived. Im talking about his ability to score goals, the rest I'll leave to people like you. On that note, kind of says where you are at that when the only response is to swear at a faceless person from behind a screen. Because I have an opinion to whether we should have kept a player or not, doesn't make me any less of a Utd fan and look, I achieved it without calling you a fecking idiot. Have a restful Sunday afternoon.
Well, it's somewhat tempting to suggest there's a reason you don't understand it and it's linked with stupidity. No, i don't talk like i'm sat in the dressing room listening in on conversations, but i am referring to his interviews and what his agent went public with. Lukaku loved talking about mental strength, buckling down and fighting for your spot when he was the clear cut first choice no matter how badly he performed, but that stopped as soon as he had to perform in order to return to the starting lineup. If Lukaku was happy to fight for his spot, like he's mouthed off about before, we could've kept him, instead we had a player that performed badly, completely unfit and barely participated in our entire pre-season while pushing for a move to Italy.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
As plenty have said, selling him without replacing him was the issue. He would still sit on the bench and be thrown in for us if both Rashford and Martial were fit, like yesterday. I was in favour of selling him and buying Ben Yedder (if the rumours were true) for half the fee, but the club decided to buy no one.
Ben Yedder is the top scorer in France, a rather reliable goalscorer

The Original

Dreadful logic. Young needs replacing. Matic needs replacing. Lingard needs replacing. Mata needs replacing. Several others need replacing. None of these have any positive impact on the team whatsoever.
It's not dreadful logic actually, just incomplete. When you add in the fact that Lukaku actually has been replaced in theory by Martial and Rashford at various points, and Greenwood to a lesser extent, it proves that their failure to match his output means that his output was valuable.

UncleBob

It's not dreadful logic actually, just incomplete. When you add in the fact that Lukaku actually has been replaced in theory by Martial and Rashford at various points, and Greenwood to a lesser extent, it proves that their failure to match his output means that his output was valuable.
At this stage last season, Lukaku had 4 goals. Rashford has 7, 5 in the league.

So there's that.

Litch

Well, it's somewhat tempting to suggest there's a reason you don't understand it and it's linked with stupidity. No, i don't talk like i'm sat in the dressing room listening in on conversations, but i am referring to his interviews and what his agent went public with. Lukaku loved talking about mental strength, buckling down and fighting for your spot when he was the clear cut first choice no matter how badly he performed, but that stopped as soon as he had to perform in order to return to the starting lineup. If Lukaku was happy to fight for his spot, like he's mouthed off about before, we could've kept him, instead we had a player that performed badly, completely unfit and barely participated in our entire pre-season while pushing for a move to Italy.
For me, we see it as a fan and rightly so but as a employee I'm guessing it's so different. I won't mention the footballer but a friend of mine who played for a big club, once they were relegated wanted him off the wage bill. The club did everything from him training with the kids to suggest he was using recreational drugs. The club leaked what salary he was on, and the fans turned on him. Clearly not saying this is Roms situation, it isn't just we are always privileged to all the information. There are different sides to the argument and often clubs want to come out of these situation with 'clean hands'. He was also a Jose fav and it's never easy when the manager leaves who signed you. I have no idea but for me, I think for whatever reason Ole wanted him out from the get go and that's why for me it's not just about players wanting to leave, as if that was the case Pogs and probably DDG won't be here.....

I think in our day jobs, if the company doesn't want you, you should still be professional but often the only motivation is to want to leave. Whether he's good enough or not, he didn't come to Utd to play from the bench.

Last edited:

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
Lukkaku didn't want to be here because he didn't want to warm the bench. However if you sell a 70 million striker, you have to replace him with someone better. We didn't. Another massive feck up.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Lukaku was toxic as feck, both in attitude and out on the pitch with his terrible play, goals or not. We couldn't have built around that in my opinion.

Also not sure replacing him was needed immediately, considering we can barely get the ball to a striker. Using the money elsewhere would be more effective for me.

starman

If its so easy to score against bottom teams then how come Rashford and Martial struggle ?
Because their game suits quick following football, something small teams try to extinguish by playing a low block thats hard to pass through. Lukaku is bruiser that out muscles defenders setup in a compact style

lsd

The Oracle
Because their game suits quick following football, something small teams try to extinguish by playing a low block thats hard to pass through. Lukaku is bruiser that out muscles defenders setup in a compact style

So they are not good enough then and no amount of low blow waffle can disguise that .

Good strikers score 20 plus goals a season and dont need excuses .

Untd55

we can sell more than half of the squad and should be replaced, not because they had positive effect, it’s because we are short in numbers.
Really? We are on course to score 44 goals this season. Last season we scored 65. That is a 21 goal reduction compared to last season.

Where do you think that deficit has stemmed from? It has appeared because we have got rid of our top-scoring attacker. Lukaku did have a positive impact on the team. Selling him has caused us a lot of issues, so it was a terrible decision.

starman

So they are not good enough then and no amount of low blow waffle can disguise that .

Good strikers score 20 plus goals a season and dont need excuses .
Good enough for what? scoring again top teams?
You completely skipped over what I said. But ok, keep worshipping Lukaku's cannon fodder powers

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Really? We are on course to score 44 goals this season. Last season we scored 65. That is a 21 goal reduction compared to last season.

Where do you think that deficit has stemmed from? It has appeared because we have got rid of our top-scoring attacker. Lukaku did have a positive impact on the team. Selling him has caused us a lot of issues, so it was a terrible decision.
I didn't say Lukaku shouldn't be replaced, I said your logic is flawed.

lsd

The Oracle
Good enough for what? scoring again top teams?
You completely skipped over what I said. But ok, keep worshipping Lukaku's cannon fodder powers

You do know you wont win anything if you can only score against top teams and do nothing against the other 14/15 teams .

Am i crazy or is there some world people here live in where goals against the top teams count more and gain more points than any other game ?

As for being unable to score in big games the guy scored against us and city without any problem and i could have sworn i saw someone quite like him wearing the number 9 scoring twice in our win v Paris St Germain last season .

Probably wasn't an important game though so doesn't count

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016

Pogba was our top scoring attacker last season, not Lukaku.

starman

You do know you wont win anything if you can only score against top teams and do nothing against the other 14/15 teams .

Am i crazy or is there some world people here live in where goals against the top teams count more and gain more points than any other game ?

As for being unable to score in big games the guy scored against us and city without any problem and i could have sworn i saw someone quite like him wearing the number 9 scoring twice in our win v Paris St Germain last season .

Probably wasn't an important game though so doesn't count
But you won't win anything if Lukaku is your main striker either. Hes ok as a back up to come in against the smaller teams, but he obviously doesn't want to be one, something people in this thread are struggling with when asking, "why was he sold" :houllier:

AceUnited

If its so easy to score against bottom teams then how come Rashford and Martial struggle ?
Are you seriously comparing the Italian one and half horse league to the premier league?

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
But you won't win anything if Lukaku if your main striker either. Hes ok as a back up to come in against the smaller teams, but he obviously doesn't want to be one, something people in this thread are struggling with when asking, why was he sold :houllier:
I just have a question, what is this thing we're supposed to be winning anyway ? We face more "smaller" teams than bigger teams all year long so it wouldn't be a bad thing to keep a player who performs well against them, specially with poor depth in attack.

I don't think the club is that good to not need a guy like Lukaku

freeurmind

weak willed
I like Lukaku but based of what we've seen of him this season, it's delusional to think he'd make any difference to our form.