Romelu Lukaku | Mourinho Part III | Roma watch

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I had high hopes. In my most fanciful dreams I thought for a minute that he may even emulate drogba.
WRONG!

I am glad he left and that we go some good money for him
I have never understood this Drogba thing. Lukaku is as far from Drogba as a striker can be, he isn't strong, he is selfish, he isn't tactically smart and he has no grit. Lukaku has a great shot, he can score goals with any parts of his body if you manage to find him in the box and he is very fast for a big guy. Drogba could score zero goals and still be instrumental in a win, Lukaku is useless when he doesn't score.

Last edited:

Djemba-Djemba

Plus Drogba used to be brilliant in the really big games, just look at his cup final record.

Lukaku is the complete opposite.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
I have never understood this Drogba thing. Lukaku is as far from Drogba as a striker can be, he isn't strong, he is selfish, he isn't tactically smart and he has no grit. Lukaku has a great shot, he can score goals with any parts of his body if you manage to find him in the box and he is very fast for big guy. Drogba could score zero goals and still be instrumental in a win, Lukaku is useless when he doesn't score.
I agree. But I was dreaming.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
I have never understood this Drogba thing. Lukaku is as far from Drogba as a striker can be, he isn't strong, he is selfish, he isn't tactically smart and he has no grit. Lukaku has a great shot, he can score goals with any parts of his body if you manage to find him in the box and he is very fast for a big guy. Drogba could score zero goals and still be instrumental in a win, Lukaku is useless when he doesn't score.
2 big black center forwards and that's it.

JPRouve

Scout
Does anyone know where that comparison originated from?
If I remember correctly it started when people outside of Belgium knew nothing about Lukaku. He was linked to Chelsea who had Drogba and he was supposed to be his successor then some people went farther and acted as if they had something in common outside of being strikers for Chelsea.

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
Glad he moved on from the club, dreadful at converting chances.

He was like Rooney when his decline was noticeable, and Lukaku is in his peak years.

Inter is definitely a good team for him, but he definitely doesn't belong at the very top clubs.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
He will always score goals, and often be in the highest scorers in whatever league he's playing in. As a result there will always be some that say he should have never been moved on. He is absolutely not the quality you want up front though when you're striving to be a top team. He scores goals and that is all. Pure goalscorers, who offer nothing else, have died out at big clubs for years now.

Belgian Jermaine Defoe (just to keep the black comparison thing going).

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
To be fair, they’re both VERY big. Hard to think of many other strikers at top clubs with the same physique. So the comparison isn’t that ridiculous.
He never actually uses it though. I liken him to an empty wardrobe. Imposing figure but would actually topple over with a gentle nudge.

Empty wardrobe probably has a better first touch though...

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.
Almost 10 years ago, his favourite club was Chelsea so everyone just joined the dots.
If I remember correctly it started when people outside of Belgium knew nothing about Lukaku. He was linked to Chelsea who had Drogba and he was supposed to be his successor then some people went farther and acted as if they had something in common outside of being strikers for Chelsea.
Thanks. I was wondering if it might have been something like that.

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.
To be fair, they’re both VERY big. Hard to think of many other strikers at top clubs with the same physique. So the comparison isn’t that ridiculous.
Naa it's still ridiculous. Lukaku for all his size is actually weak on the ball and in the air unlike Drogba.

How many times did we despair with us playing the long ball to him and his dead hold up play when he was here?

The only thing he has in common with Drogba is they play the same position. That's it.

JPRouve

Scout
The comparison is totally ridiculous and there are many players with Drogba's physique who isn't special, one of them being very similar to Lukaku in Mario Gomez. Bundesliga used to have a few of them in the 2000s, Mario Gomez, Grafite, Klimovicz, Kuranyi and there is of course Mandzukic among many.

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
Naa it's still ridiculous. Lukaku for all his size is actually weak on the ball and in the air unlike Drogba. How many times did we despair with us playing the long ball to him and his dead hold up play when he was here? The only thing he has in common with Drogba is they play the same position. That's it.
Arguably being Lukakus size is a bad thing, it means you can shield the ball, but it also means you aren't as agile and balance isn't really as much of a thing.

Drogba was tall, strong, but also nimble enough because of his frame, Lukaku has more of a boxers build than somebody who needs to get up and down the pitch (given his height)

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.
The comparison is totally ridiculous and there are many players with Drogba's physique who isn't special, one of them being very similar to Lukaku in Mario Gomez. Bundesliga used to have a few of them in the 2000s, Mario Gomez, Grafite, Klimovicz, Kuranyi and there is of course Mandzukic among many.
Roy Makaay was another i remember. What a baller Grafite was. That goal v Bayern was just :drool:. Every one of those in your list had technique too.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
If there are “many” players with the same physique why didn’t you name another striker who’s a contemporary peer of Lukaku?

I didn’t say nobody has ever had the same physique. Just that it’s unusual. The fact they both played for Chelsea - in the same position - made the comparison even more obvious. Certainly not “totally ridiculous”

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.
Arguably being Lukakus size is a bad thing, it means you can shield the ball, but it also means you aren't as agile and balance isn't really as much of a thing.

Drogba was tall, strong, but also nimble enough because of his frame, Lukaku has more of a boxers build than somebody who needs to get up and down the pitch (given his height)
Yeah his frame is nothing like Drogba's. His agility is almost non existent on the ball. I would compare him to someone like a smaller Jan Koller with more pace/minus the heading.

JPRouve

Scout
If there are “many” players with the same physique why didn’t you name another striker who’s a contemporary peer of Lukaku?

I didn’t say nobody has ever had the same physique. Just that it’s unusual. The fact they both played for Chelsea made the comparison even more obvious.
Because the comparison isn't recent and you talked about Drogba's physique. But currently I could name Maxi Gomez, Haaland, Benteke, Haller, Luuk De Jong and probably many others.

fps

Googled Lukaku’s height, 6ft3?! There’s no way that’s true is there?!

People are talking about Drogba’s strength but what I remember was he’d fall over if he was breathed on, which was excellent for his team to relieve pressure and win free kicks.

JPRouve

Scout

People are talking about Drogba’s strength but what I remember was he’d fall over if he was breathed on, which was excellent for his team to relieve pressure and win free kicks.
He is tall and heavy, iirc he was at 100kgs at some point which is close to what Ibrahimovic used to be with PSG around 2013-2014 but difference in terms of agility is incredible. Lukaku isn't really comparable to Drogba who is shorter and lighter.

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.

Only when he wanted to, usually in dangerous positions. There's a difference. Lukaku would fall over near the halfway line.

fps

Only when he wanted to, usually in dangerous positions. There's a difference. Lukaku would fall over near the halfway line.
I wasn’t trying to compare it with Lukaku when I said that.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
Because the comparison isn't recent and you talked about Drogba's physique. But currently I could name Maxi Gomez, Haaland, Benteke, Haller, Luuk De Jong and probably many others.
Lukaku = 1.91m
Maxi Gomez = 1.86m
Benteke = 1.9m
Haller = 1.9m
De Jong = 1.9m

So only Haaland - out of all the strikers you named - is any taller than Lukaku. And the first thing most people notice/comment about Haaland is what a big unit he is.

And that’s just height. What sets Lukaku and Drogba apart from most strikers is that they are tall and strong. Taller and stronger than almost any other striker in the leagues they’ve been playing in.

This is a silly argument anyway. When Chelsea signed Lukaku he was seen as Drogba’s long term successor so these comparisons were always going to be made. Obviously, it turned out they’re very different players but it doesn’t make the comparison ridiculous. If anything, it’s obvious.

JPRouve

Scout
Lukaku = 1.91m
Maxi Gomez = 1.86m
Benteke = 1.9m
Haller = 1.9m
De Jong = 1.9m

So only Haaland - out of all the strikers you named - is any taller than Lukaku. And the first thing most people notice/comment about Haaland is what a big unit he is.

And that’s just height. What sets Lukaku and Drogba apart from most strikers is that they are tall and strong. Taller and stronger than almost any other striker in the leagues they’ve been playing in.

This is a silly argument anyway. When Chelsea signed Lukaku he was seen as Drogba’s long term successor so these comparisons were always going to be made. Obviously, it turned out they’re very different players but it doesn’t make the comparison ridiculous. If anything, it’s obvious.
It is indeed silly, look at Drogba's height and weight and try to argue that the players I mentioned aren't closer to Lukaku and in the same ballpark than Lukaku and Drogba. Seriously why are you even arguing this, if 1 centimeter is a problem than Drogba and Lukaku have no business being compared because Drogba is 1.88m.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
It is indeed silly, look at Drogba's height and weight and try to argue that the players I mentioned aren't closer to Lukaku and in the same ballpark than Lukaku and Drogba. Seriously why are you even arguing this?
Why am I arguing? Good question!

Partly because - as explained above - I wanted to point out that there are enough similarities between Drogba and Lukaku for people to draw comparisons without being accused of being “absolutely ridiculous”.

Mainly because I keep forgetting what a tedious ball ache the football forums are. I think I’ll stick to covid from here on...

lsd

The Oracle
Drogba would have been fantastic for us although no doubt people would criticise his goal rate.

Hated playing Chelsea as you just always feared he would score against us

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
I watched a re run of wales v Belgium euro16 a few days ago, had a little smile when I seen him do his usual thumb in the air after seeing a ball sail over him or misscontrol it. I hadn’t noticed it so much at the time untill he played for United

InfiniteBoredom

I never really got the impression that he was a huge unit watching Drogba play. He was supremely strong but also very agile, and always looked lean for his height.

Watching Lukaku play and ‘lumbering’ would be a kind description.

Ramos

Does anyone know where that comparison originated from?
He was his idol. He loved Chelsea and Drogba as a kid. His dad already mentioned Drogba before Rom even turned pro at Anderlecht.

From then on Belgian press kept comparing Lukaku to him. Once he signed for Chelsea, well it was obvious it would continue.

It went so far Kinder even remade an add they had made for Kinder Bueno with Drogba couple of years earlier but this time with Lukaku in the Drogba role. This was way before he joined Chelsea.

Last edited:

MalcolmTucker

Yeah, I think it's just a hangover from when Lukaku was first moving to Chelsea - he was a big, black striker with long hair and (back then) a similar physique - obviously there were going to be comparisons. Just turns out Lukaku's game and build developed differently from Drogba.

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP
Funny how Drogba was one of the most effective strikers ever in the big games while Lukaku is one of the most ineffective, they’re complete opposites in that.