Romelu Lukaku | Mourinho Part III | Roma watch

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
It's because of stats like these that people think he's this amazing world class player. But then you watch a game and his flaws are so obvious not to mention he fecks up chances against decent sides on a regular basis - Inter should have won vs Napoli but this dingo missed the chance of the game - 5min later Napoli scored to make it 1-1
Because goals scored is a misleading statistic to judge strikers on?

Or strikers who miss decent chances couldn’t possibly be considered world class?

GifLord

Better at GIFs than posts

Or strikers who miss decent chances couldn’t possibly be considered world class?
A World class player turns up against top teams. Also their skill level is obvious to see during a match.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund

Well.. Do you think he's a better player than Messi and Ronaldo or in fact even close to them in individual ability?

Stig

Nobody has ever missed more open goals tnan Andy Cole from inside the 6 yard box. I saw a video of Andy Cole's Misses once. All from the year that he was the leagues top scorer.

stevoc

We have pushed so many talented players out of the club without yet fully realising that our managers have been the real issue with these failed signings.

If only woodward and the club had an ounce of sense that when they sacked Mourinho, conte was an absolute perfect fit for the team that we had at the time and that's been proven with his love for buying our supposed deadwood who have been flourishing in his system, we wouldn't even have had to go on yet another excruciating unorganised rebuild under ole.
Yeah we should have sold Rashford and Martial not signed Fernandes then built the team around Lukaku, Sanchez and Young on the left wing with Darmian at RB.

Or maybe not.

Judas

Open to offers
People who don't rate Lukaku are weird and bitter.
Bit extreme. I don't rate him, why would I be bitter? I'm glad we moved on from him, he wasn't the right fit and was generally disappointing, and continues to flatter to deceive when the pressure is really on.

I'd be more bitter if I was still having to watch him in a Utd shirt every week, that's for sure.

Danny Roberts

Lukaku was a brilliant player at West Brom, Everton and at times for us. Brilliant at Inter. He has games where he looks awful and his touch seems pub standard but he has other games where everything he does looks brilliant. Either way he tends to score and anyone who doesn't rate him I don't understand. Top numbers in top leagues and international level.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
The problem with Lukaku is not that he is a bad player, but his game & abilities is set in such a unilateral way that you need to change almost the whole team tactically to make him your main and only attacking threat.

For example with his inaccurate first touch and passing - could you play forwards out wide? The CAM or CM's has to play his passing a certain way to get the best out of Lukaku's strengths.

I find Martial is the direct opposite to what Lukaku is, not the most predatory, not the most in behind defences type striker - but he has a great first touch, passing, dribbling abilities alongside a more finesse type finishing.

That's why Mourinho picked one and ditched the other to suit his front line tactics whilst Ole ditched the player that didnt suit his and picked his.

OverratedOpinion

Bit extreme. I don't rate him, why would I be bitter? I'm glad we moved on from him, he wasn't the right fit and was generally disappointing, and continues to flatter to deceive when the pressure is really on.

I'd be more bitter if I was still having to watch him in a Utd shirt every week, that's for sure.
Okay

*Most people who don't rate Lukaku are weird and bitter. All people who don't rate Lukaku as a very good striker are wrong.

jeff_goldblum

It's not a surprise Lukaku is doing better at Inter - the team and league suit him.

People who write off his finishing come off a little bitter to me. That aspect of his game isn't in doubt. His weaknesses are lack of agility/mobility, poor close control and questionable mentality, all of which playing for Manchester United in the Premier League exposed badly in a way Serie A (and international football) doesn't.

I'm glad he's gone and the way the guy has moaned about United since he left makes me even more glad he's gone, but those expecting him to fail in Italy were always going to be disappointed. He's a good striker in the right system, but lacks the talent or the attributes to truly be top class, or to replicate that success outside that system.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
I agreed someone posted here earlier said that Conte probably is a better successor to Mou based on the squad at the time.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Scored his 4th and 5th goal against Iceland. The most goals a Belgian player has scored against the same country.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Still sucks. Still a terrible first touch. Still lazy. Still a baby.

:cool:
His first touch was actually terrible this match. First goal he lost the ball but and equally clumsy touch from the CB set up his chance. 2nd goal was a penalty that he got running away from goal but the CB needlessly tackled him.

He did do a stepover once where he stepped on the ball and lost it behind him. Strong overall in linkup play but frankly not much was going on from Belgium who frankly looked liked they weren't giving 100%. Fairly typical Lukaku game where he scored, was decent-to-good overall and had his clumsy moments.

Markolan

Supports
AC Milan
Lukaku against good teams for Inter:

Season 19/20

- Serie A, vs 1st placed Juventus: 2 matches played, 0 goals scored
- Serie A, vs 3rd placed Atalanta: 2 matches played, 0 goals scored
- Serie A, vs 4th placed Lazio: 2 matches played, 0 goals scored
- Coppa Italia Semifinal, vs Napoli: 2 matches played, 0 goals scored; Inter eliminated
- UEFA Champions League vs BVB: 2 matches played, 0 goals scored;
- UEFA Champions League vs Barcelona: 1 match, 1 goal (deflected shot) but 3 sitter missed; Inter failed to advance to the KO stage
- UEFA Europa League Final vs Sevilla: 1 penalty scored but 1 one-on-one missed and scored a decisive own goal

World class?

DixieDean

Everton Fan
Supports
Everton
Imagine how much schadenfreude would be in this thread if he was *actually* bad instead of the very good footballer he is.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Lukaku was a brilliant player at West Brom, Everton and at times for us. Brilliant at Inter. He has games where he looks awful and his touch seems pub standard but he has other games where everything he does looks brilliant. Either way he tends to score and anyone who doesn't rate him I don't understand. Top numbers in top leagues and international level.
If you're United fan, and have watched how he played for us. It is actually more confusing on why you don't understand.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
If you're United fan, and have watched how he played for us. It is actually more confusing on why you don't understand.
His second season was poor, but the entire squad was poor then. His first season was very good and he contributed 26 goals. His hold up play in this season was sharper too. People just remember his last few months and get pretty upset.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
His second season was poor, but the entire squad was poor then. His first season was very good and he contributed 26 goals. His hold up play in this season was sharper too. People just remember his last few months and get pretty upset.
More likely people remember his last 2 years with us, with the last year as a total disaster from any pro footballer.

Anyway, the question is that poster said he/she couldn't understand why many don't rate him. It's actually a lot easier to understand why many don't rate him.

Last edited:

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
More likely people remember his last 2 years with us, with the last year as a total disaster from any pro footballer.

Anyway, the question is why that poster couldn't understand many don't rate him. It's actually a lot easier to understand why many don't rate him.
His last 2 years? He was only with us for 2 years, and he played very well in the first one, netting 27 goals. You're now just making things up because it's easier that way, by the sounds of it.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
Is this ex-girl friend thing that you want to make sure your ex girlfriend is not doing well to justify it is the right thing to do to break up with her? Lukaku seems very happy playing for Inter and Man Utd got all money back from the transfer. Both parties moved on.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
His last 2 years? He was only with us for 2 years, and he played very well in the first one, netting 27 goals. You're now just making things up because it's easier that way, by the sounds of it.
Didn't you say people get upset because of his last few months ? Who is making things up? :lol:

And yes, many didn't rate him in all those 2 years. Unless you're living in lala land, or you're not United fan (on the Caf).

And I was replying to a poster who couldn't understand of why people don't rate Lukaku. Do you also not understand of why people don't rate him?? Well, what can i say then.

Last edited:

ghagua

Never understood this shite. If a scorer is scoring goals and putting the team in a winning position, who cares what his touch is like, or if he missed a chance earlier. For all the fancy touches and footwork, if the striker is not in the box to score, or is not scoring, then what's the use of this skill?

Personally think he is a great striker and will bang in goals at any level.

ghagua

Every other player that season was poor and plenty of excuses were made for them, why not for Lukaku? His goals will continue to be missed until we get a striker who can get us those goals.

Danny Roberts

Didn't you say people get upset because of his last few months ? Who is making things up? :lol:

And yes, many didn't rate him in all those 2 years. Unless you're living in lala land, or you're not United fan (on the Caf).

And I was replying to a poster who couldn't understand of why people don't rate Lukaku. Do you also not understand of why people don't rate him?? Well, what can i say then.
Correct, I don’t understand how people don’t rate a striker who has had one bad season in a career.

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
Every other player that season was poor and plenty of excuses were made for them, why not for Lukaku? His goals will continue to be missed until we get a striker who can get us those goals.
I think this exaggerates things somewhat, at least in terms of how many he scored for us. 16 in the league in his first season, which both Rashford and Martial beat with 17 last year in fewer games. You can argue we miss a focal point like him, and someone that attacks the six yard box, but we didn't miss his goals.

He'sRaldo

We have pushed so many talented players out of the club without yet fully realising that our managers have been the real issue with these failed signings.

If only woodward and the club had an ounce of sense that when they sacked Mourinho, conte was an absolute perfect fit for the team that we had at the time and that's been proven with his love for buying our supposed deadwood who have been flourishing in his system, we wouldn't even have had to go on yet another excruciating unorganised rebuild under ole.
Good point.

ghagua

I think this exaggerates things somewhat, at least in terms of how many he scored for us. 16 in the league in his first season, which both Rashford and Martial beat with 17 last year in fewer games. You can argue we miss a focal point like him, and someone that attacks the six yard box, but we didn't miss his goals.
16 in the league and 26 overall is not bad after the shite we played under Maureen. How many did Martial and Rashford score the season before last? Lukaku would have feasted on the chances that were created last season with Bruno creating.

NotThatSoph

Lukaku against good teams for Inter:

Season 19/20

- Serie A, vs 1st placed Juventus: 2 matches played, 0 goals scored
- Serie A, vs 3rd placed Atalanta: 2 matches played, 0 goals scored
- Serie A, vs 4th placed Lazio: 2 matches played, 0 goals scored
- Coppa Italia Semifinal, vs Napoli: 2 matches played, 0 goals scored; Inter eliminated
- UEFA Champions League vs BVB: 2 matches played, 0 goals scored;
- UEFA Champions League vs Barcelona: 1 match, 1 goal (deflected shot) but 3 sitter missed; Inter failed to advance to the KO stage
- UEFA Europa League Final vs Sevilla: 1 penalty scored but 1 one-on-one missed and scored a decisive own goal

World class?
You're including matches against Napoli, who finished 7th in the league, but exclude matches against 6th placed Milan. That's interesting. You're excluding Shaktar, you're excluding Bayer Leverkusen who finished 5th in the Bundesliga and you're excluding Getafe's 8th place when again you included Napoli's 7th.

Last edited:

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Wow, when someone claims that you can't judge a striker on scoring goals, you know people are just blinded by their hate if this exceptional player :lol: :lol:
His international record is phenomenal, he's a had a brilliant season last season and started this one on fire too, yet still he gets called out.
Just bizarre.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan

Yeah, you're definately making shit up because for his first season he was still very much liked generally on the caf, as a productive striker who brought physicality and a predatory instinct to our play. He wasn't mugged off throughout the season as he banged in 27 goals, what world are you on?

Then it got sour quick when he turned up overweight in the second season, had a barren run, but then picked up slightly before tailing down again.

Lukaku deserves a lot of a credit as a player. He might not be suitable for a fluid interchangeable attack like ours, but he can suit other systems extremely well. Its silly to outright refuse to rate him. The man is a goal machine, even if he is a flat track bully it's not easy to maintain a scoring record like the one he's achieved. If you can't rate that then you're clearly bitter, and feck knows why you're questioning anyone being a United fan for thinking different.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
No one is denying Lukaku had a poor second season with us. It's just stupid to not rate him as a player by going off that season to judge a player in it's entirety.

I mean, the poster said Lukaku was "bad for the final 2 years with us". And that he was never rated here. That's bullshit to be honest, there isn't a single player on the caf who walks in, gets 27 goals in his first season, and gets ridiculed throughout the year for it.

MalcolmTucker

How were his goals missed when all 3 of Greenwood, Rashford and Martial scored more than him in his last season with us? Rashford and Martial also scored more league goals last season than he ever scored with us.

It baffles me that people who watched him play for us for 2 years still think we miss him in any way.

Last edited:

MattofManchester

Looks like he's improved his technique somewhat. Doesn't look anything like the player who was at Manchester United.