Romelu Lukaku | Mourinho Part III | Roma watch

Irrational.

Exactly. It was on target and needed to be higher to beat the keeper but it wasn’t a slice or some terrible contact.

Was still on target and the way angles work with an incoming keeper you don’t really have a whole goal to aim at.

This is no where near a terrible attempt
I'm sorry, but for a striker who has commanded fees over £150 million over his last two transfers, that is a terrible attempt. You're making excuses for him like he's a run-of-the-mill Championship level Leroy Lita. A so called 'world class' striker of his calibre should be burying those no problem, or at least bringing the ball down and managing a better attempt at goal.

Ask yourself this: would a Lewandowski, Aguero, Mane, Salah, Benzema, Mbappe, Dybala do better with a chance like that? Because those are the types of forwards he should be being compared with.

OverratedOpinion

I'm sorry, but for a striker who has commanded fees over £150 million over his last two transfers, that is a terrible attempt. You're making excuses for him like he's a run-of-the-mill Championship level Leroy Lita. A so called 'world class' striker of his calibre should be burying those no problem, or at least bringing the ball down and managing a better attempt at goal.
I can show you worse misses from Aguero, Lewandowski, Ronaldo and Kane.

No one is infallible.

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas
That requires a good first touch :lol:

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
4 random seasons? The last 4 seasons. I mentioned those once Vardy got brought into it since that is essentially when Vardy started scoring goals at the top level.

One thing I think you also miss is that Man Utd has not been a very easy place for strikers to score goals over the last 6 or 7 years. He did better than anyone in that time.
Zlatan did it better than anyone.

Argument was about Lukaku’s time at ManUtd, how both did in last 4 season isn’t of much use. I don’t think any comparison is even needed. 14 league goals per season for a ManUtd CF isn’t good enough, again for a limited player like him.

Tostao_80

Ask yourself this: would a Lewandowski, Aguero, Mane, Salah, Benzema, Mbappe, Dybala do better with a chance like that? Because those are the types of forwards he should be being compared with.
Who in this thread said that Lukaku was world class? You and a few others on here are aguing against points that no one has made. No one on here has called him world class, or indeed one of the best strikers in the world. He is simply a very good goalscorer. Some people get triggered the moment he gets called that. The question is, why?

Bobski

The keeper came charging out as if he was to compete to win the ball, Lukaku thought as long as he gets there first it was a simple header over the keeper into an empty net. The keeper bailed at the last second and started retreating instead which effectively fooled the striker.
Yes, hence Lukaku jumping expecting the keeper to smash him, when if he had noticed the retreat he can just run on to the header and control trajectory much easier. Or take it down and have a 1 v 1.

Tostao_80

I agree completely, but it seems that Lukaku seems to fluff his lines more often than the strikers above. Chances like the one shown should be food and drink for that level of striker.
Of course he does. They are better and more clinical strikers. Why would you expect any different? No one has claimed he is on their level.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Who in this thread said that Lukaku was world class? You and a few others on here are aguing against points that no one has made. No one on here has called him world class, or indeed one of the best strikers in the world. He is simply a very good goalscorer. Some people get triggered the moment he gets called that. The question is, why?
It simply meant ole is being stupid for letting him go. That's why

Irrational.

Of course he does. They are better and more clinical strikers. Why would you expect any different? No one has claimed he is on their level.
For the transfer fees he commands surely you would expect him to be on that level or at least close to it? He’s at least a couple of tiers below the level of the strikers mentioned.

OverratedOpinion

Zlatan did it better than anyone.

Argument was about Lukaku’s time at ManUtd, how both did in last 4 season isn’t of much use. I don’t think any comparison is even needed. 14 league goals per season for a ManUtd CF isn’t good enough, again for a limited player like him.
Zlatan scored 1 more goal in his best season despite being our main penalty taker.

Lukaku's second season was fecked for the first half like most players last year, he showed what he was capable of in his first season where he scored his usual 25+

He will do the same again for Inter this year.

OverratedOpinion

For the transfer fees he commands surely you would expect him to be on that level or at least close to it? He’s at least a couple of tiers below the level of the strikers mentioned.
I don't know mate, a 25 year old Lewandowski or Aguero would be 200m in this market. I know it seems backwards but 75m does not buy you world class strikers these days, at least not at the right age and without taking a gamble.

roonster09

Scout
Let it go mate. Can't we enjoy our ex player who's doing fine somewhere else without you shitting on his bed?
How is asking a simple question shitting on his bed?

Anyways I don’t enjoy our ex players who acted unprofessionally before leaving. ManUtd > manager, player at least for me.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
How is asking a simple question shitting on his bed?

Anyways I don’t enjoy our ex players who acted unprofessionally before leaving. ManUtd > manager, player at least for me.
Fine. That's a point. But please be objective for a change. You're better than that.

He's not a world class striker, but far from the donkey he got abused here.

Can we agree at least that ?

roonster09

Scout
Zlatan scored 1 more goal in his best season despite being our main penalty taker.

Lukaku's second season was fecked for the first half like most players last year, he showed what he was capable of in his first season where he scored his usual 25+

He will do the same again for Inter this year.
Zlatan missed last 2 months (iirc) because of injury. Apart from that he created so many chances for the team, like a playmaker. He missed plenty too.

Apart from first 2 months, Lukaku averaged 1 league goal per month, I don’t see why people say he was good goal scorer for us. I posted the breakdown few pages back and tbh even I didn’t think it was so bad.

roonster09

Scout
Fine. That's a point. But please be objective for a change. You're better than that.

He's not a world class striker, but far from the donkey he got abused here.

Can we agree at least that ?
For a change can you please read posts before replying, taking someone else’s points and assume I said it. I didn’t say he was donkey, I said he was limited player with not good enough scoring record for a player who don’t offer much.

roonster09

Scout
OK ! I thought he was doing well for them so just assumed that would make him popular.
Looks like they are bright bunch, within a month they were pissed off for his pointing, bad movements, shit first touch. They are also pissed that he don’t offer much against good teams. Obviously it’s a split opinion like on caf.

Bepi

Supports
Juventus
Will it change his record for ManUtd?
Lukaku is doing well as a clog in the usually well-oiled Conte’s machine. I mean, Conte is good at hiding his players’ flaws behind organisation, grit and team work. Utd has the opposite problem, in that any player underperforms even with respect to his own standard. Add to this the natural trajectory of more than one unsatisfactory season for all and you have more than one good player seeming worse than they really are.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
For a change can you please read posts before replying, taking someone else’s points and assume I said it. I didn’t say he was donkey, I said he was limited player with not good enough scoring record for a player who don’t offer much.
Ok. I disagree with that. He was better than that if only he has a better manager. He was being mismanaged during his time here.

But ok. I dont have the fervor to debate you.

roonster09

Scout
Ok. I disagree with that. He was better than that if only he has a better manager. He was being mismanaged during his time here.

His overall game wasn’t any better under Jose, he was even more shit under Jose in second season.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout

Wait what just happened? You realized that Mourinho was his manager for the better part of his time here?

OverratedOpinion

Zlatan missed last 2 months (iirc) because of injury. Apart from that he created so many chances for the team, like a playmaker. He missed plenty too.

Apart from first 2 months, Lukaku averaged 1 league goal per month, I don’t see why people say he was good goal scorer for us. I posted the breakdown few pages back and tbh even I didn’t think it was so bad.
Played 5 less games, scored 4 penalties. I actually thought Zlatan despite being a bloody incredible player (yes much, much, much better than Lukaku) was actually surprisingly poor in that aspect (creating from open play) in his season for us. Also again I have no issues with you saying Lukaku is bang average in open play, I am not sure how many more times I need to say that or how I can make it much clearer that I am talking about being goal scoring alone, do I need to mention Inzaghi again?

Okay so he must have had a bloody great first couple of months then. Either way he showed he can score 25+ like he has been doing for years and will continue to do for years to come because he is a good goal scorer.

roonster09

Scout
Lukaku is doing well as a clog in the usually well-oiled Conte’s machine. I mean, Conte is good at hiding his players’ flaws behind organisation, grit and team work. Utd has the opposite problem, in that any player underperforms even with respect to his own standard. Add to this the natural trajectory of more than one unsatisfactory season for all and you have more than one good player seeming worse than they really are.
For a player like Pogba, I agree. Very talented player but the way midfield is built is not good enough. We rely on him to play multiple roles at once. For Lukaku, it’s the problem with his technical ability. He is poor with his back to goal and his touch was erratic. This is not something that is on manager. He still has the same issues and i don’t see any improvement in his game. Only difference is he plays for easily the second best team in the league who dominates the game and he will end up with at least few decent chances in the box.

At ManUtd he didn’t take penalties (he took 1 and missed) and at Inter he is taking them which helped his goal record. He averages 200 mins for goal excluding penalties which is worse than at ManUtd. Again not that penalty goals shouldn’t count, just that he didn’t take penalties at ManUtd.

roonster09

Scout
Played 5 less games, scored 4 penalties. I actually thought Zlatan despite being a bloody incredible player (yes much, much, much better than Lukaku) was actually surprisingly poor in that aspect (creating from open play) in his season for us. Also again I have no issues with you saying Lukaku is bang average in open play, I am not sure how many more times I need to say that or how I can make it much clearer that I am talking about being goal scoring alone, do I need to mention Inzaghi again?

Okay so he must have had a bloody great first couple of months then. Either way he showed he can score 25+ like he has been doing for years and will continue to do for years to come because he is a good goal scorer.
It’s very simple, Goal every other game is a good record for you, for me it isn’t especially for a limited player.

OverratedOpinion

It’s very simple, Goal every other game is a good record for you, for me it isn’t especially for a limited player.
I believe I said this two pages ago!

Yes I would rank a goal every 2 games as good, a goal every 1.5 games top level and anything better than that consistently as special.

Man Utd should aim for those rare special players of course but I doubt we will see that soon.

Bepi

Supports
Juventus
For a player like Pogba, I agree. Very talented player but the way midfield is built is not good enough. We rely on him to play multiple roles at once. For Lukaku, it’s the problem with his technical ability. He is poor with his back to goal and his touch was erratic. This is not something that is on manager. He still has the same issues and i don’t see any improvement in his game. Only difference is he plays for easily the second best team in the league who dominates the game and he will end up with at least few decent chances in the box.

At ManUtd he didn’t take penalties (he took 1 and missed) and at Inter he is taking them which helped his goal record. He averages 200 mins for goal excluding penalties which is worse than at ManUtd. Again not that penalty goals shouldn’t count, just that he didn’t take penalties at ManUtd.
I agree with that and Lukaku is surely worse than Icardi as a striker, but he seems more apt to act as a squad player... or Conte seems just able to keep Rom’s histrionics (finger pointing, unexpected moves, etc) under control. At Inter, they are fine with him doing his 100% even if he is neither Lewandowski (a top striker) nor Icardi (a top striker with baggage in the form of his missus and bad influence for the dressing room).

roonster09

Scout
I agree with that and Lukaku is surely worse than Icardi as a striker, but he seems more apt to act as a squad player... or Conte seems just able to keep Rom’s histrionics (finger pointing, unexpected moves, etc) under control. At Inter, they are fine with him doing his 100% even if he is neither Lewandowski (a top striker) nor Icardi (a top striker with baggage in the form of his missus and bad influence for the dressing room).
The moment his place is not guaranteed, he will run away.

At least when he is first choice he isn’t a bad influence like Icardi, as you said. Not sure if it’s Icardi leaving or Conte managing them (or bit of both) for the first time in years they play like a team and also looks like dressing room is sort of settled for now.

Dominos

Watch it again and try to picture the keeper not retreating, where would Lukaku's header end up ? Probably not far from him still
The fact he jumped to head the ball even though under no pressure indicates he thought he was competing for the ball with the charging keeper.

It's not a good header, if he's trying to lob the keeper he needed more height really, if the keeper carried on charging it may have just hit him anyway except at closer range. However I can see why he headed it vs taking it down and shooting, when making a split second decision he was anticipating getting clattered by keeper.

GifLord

Better at GIFs than posts
wow the defendiing of that miss. I'm having a Dejavu moment. Which game was it? Oh spurs at home :lol:

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
You’re on a constant wum. What is it with using your favourite buzz words all the time? Triggered, Vitriol.

Your opinion isn’t the be all and end all, lukaku would spoil as many chances as he’d take, it’s quite easy to see. I’d suggest using your eyes and watching football instead of just reading numbers on stat sites

Tostao_80

You’re on a constant wum. What is it with using your favourite buzz words all the time? Triggered, Vitriol.

Your opinion isn’t the be all and end all, lukaku would spoil as many chances as he’d take, it’s quite easy to see. I’d suggest using your eyes and watching football instead of just reading numbers on stat sites
You seem to have an issue with reading comprehension. No where have i said he is a clinical striker. He is not world class, has a limited game, and there are better strikers. But, he is a very good goalscorer, as his record proves. Why does this seem to annoy you and some others on here? Truly bizarre.