Romelu Lukaku | Mourinho Part III | Roma watch

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Fair play to him, he's doing well at Inter. He's a funny case. I am sure that he would score regularly for us, but I still don't want him in my team. I don't think he suits our style of play - or at least the style of play we aspire to adopt. In Inter he plays in a system that suits him, in a league and team where he mainly has to focus on being a goalscorer.

Is it only me who cannot stand his body language and constant gestures in games? EVERY time a teammember opts for a shot on goal instead of passing it to him, he's moaning and making gestures. Every. Single. Time. He does the same if he misses a chance himself. It's like he cannot fathom what just happened. In addition, if he makes an assist or something good it is like he's just waiting for the whole world to praise and acknowledge his geniuses.
Exaggeration. Every single time? Unless you watch him live 24/7 i dont think the live cam pans to uim everytime something happens.

And be fair to the guy. That's your perception. He probably has his own style of celebrations and facial gestures, but waiting for the whole world to praise and acknowledge his genius? Seriously?

MiracleInMadrid

Exaggeration. Every single time? Unless you watch him live 24/7 i dont think the live cam pans to uim everytime something happens.

And be fair to the guy. That's your perception. He probably has his own style of celebrations and facial gestures, but waiting for the whole world to praise and acknowledge his genius? Seriously?
Of course, it is just my perception. And maybe I exaggerated a bit. I just notice it almost every time I watch him play. He did it when he played for us aswell. Maybe my way of describing it is a bit off, but I just find it extremely annoying to look at, and it would wear me out to be his teammate and se him doing it.

But fair play to him, he loves scoring and wants every chance he can get. I respect that.

Botim

Supports
Royal Antwerp FC
Gazetta dello Sport ran a lyrical article on "Lu-La", Inter's couple up front. Even calling them one of the best duo's in Europe.

Their numbers are quite impressive:
Lukaku: 11 goals and 2 assists in 17 games
Lautaro: 11 goals and 3 assists in 18 games

The fact that he gets more than 0,5 goals a game everywhere except at United, should tell you something...

Ramos

Of course, it is just my perception. And maybe I exaggerated a bit. I just notice it almost every time I watch him play. He did it when he played for us aswell. Maybe my way of describing it is a bit off, but I just find it extremely annoying to look at, and it would wear me out to be his teammate and se him doing it.

But fair play to him, he loves scoring and wants every chance he can get. I respect that.
He is a bit cocky, like most strikers, and his attitude with the whole pointing at his feet can come across as being very annoying (i think that started at Everton, didn't do that at Anderlecht and West Brom), but most of his teammates seem to enjoy playing with him. For a striker he really isn't selfish at all and always makes sure to thank the players that give him assists.

Lautaro must like him a lot now. That 17 year old super talent at Inter, Esposito, absolutely loves him. Hazard, Mertens and even KDB (though i have seen him get frustrated with him in that WC 3rd place game for example) also like him.

I can tell you i've never seen him do that pointing thing to Eden.

Bepi

Supports
Juventus
Fair to say he is exceeding expectations right now, it just shows how a competent club plus a competent coach can make players seem and behave much better than incompetent clubs and incompetent managers.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Fair to say he is exceeding expectations right now, it just shows how a competent club plus a competent coach can make players seem and behave much better than incompetent clubs and incompetent managers.
The natives won’t like that post. Was it the start of last season where the United was flying high 10 games in?

Bepi

Supports
Juventus
The natives won’t like that post. Was it the start of last season where the United was flying high 10 games in?
woodward should go at any cost asap and one of the glazers should really stay in manchester permanently to make them active and interested in the footballing aspect of the business... ole is clearly out of his depth but also a scapegoat, same as more illustrious managers and many good players in the post fergie era

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
It’s because of things like this that I believe Jose is past it. Trying desperately to replicate stuff that worked for him in the past while clearly not having the materials to do so.
At the start of the season, presumably because Jose didn’t mind. Either he thought it was a good idea or he didn’t care because he was looking for the sack. Why Ole didn’t force the issue when he arrived (inventing a spurious injury as cover and sending him to a health farm for six weeks) is rather odd, and I’d be disappointed if it hadn’t been considered, but maybe he and the club as a whole had written Lukaku off as a high maintenance baby by then.
I feel like Lukaku had lost his joy at the club, he didn't really respect Ole either.

He clearly likes Conte and when he said you need to lose weight, he listened. They said the medical staff at Inter found something wrong in his diet also - perhaps our staff aren't doing enough in this department?

Classical Mechanic

Or he's just playing in an easier league with a stronger team within the context of that league.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Yeah let's not consider the strength of the league or how he was shit against decent opponents in CL.

As long as you can throw some stupid digs everything is fine.

Siorac

Gazetta dello Sport ran a lyrical article on "Lu-La", Inter's couple up front. Even calling them one of the best duo's in Europe.

The fact that he gets more than 0,5 goals a game everywhere except at United, should tell you something...
And Anderlecht and West Brom and Chelsea. Basically the only club where he got more than 0.5 goals a game was Everton.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout

Yes, it tells he takes penalties for Inter and didn’t for ManUtd.

Bepi

Supports
Juventus
Or he's just playing in an easier league with a stronger team within the context of that league.
Yeah let's not consider the strength of the league or how he was shit against decent opponents in CL.

As long as you can throw some stupid digs everything is fine.
nah, it is just I work as an assistant manager in an office and we see first hand, day after day, what a good & steady environment does for productivity... mind, I really would have Utd back competing for trophies, that’s my “good environment” dig here. Ciao.

arthurka

Wouldn´t have it any other way, I have watched a lot of Seria A this season and believe me he hasn´t been good most of the games. But stats are his thing.

AshRK

People are acting surprised is weird. He is a goalscorer and that's what he does. He was harshly criticized. Having said that I am happy we and him parted ways.

Classical Mechanic

nah, it is just I work as an assistant manager in an office and we see first hand, day after day, what a good & steady environment does for productivity... mind, I really would have Utd back competing for trophies, that’s my “good environment” dig here. Ciao.
Look at the coefficients. Last year Italian sides picked up almost half as many points than English sides. The Italian league is a long way behind this season too.

https://www.uefa.com/memberassociations/uefarankings/country/#/yr/2020

Simply put, there are more elite level teams in England than there are in Italy. The top 6 is very strong in England. This is especially pertinent to Lukaku because his glaring weakness is against those level of sides. He's filling his boots against fodder in the Italian league same as he did in England but there's a paucity of elite sides in Italy to slow him down..

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Everything points that way, yes.

Lukaku's worst performances of the season: Slavia(H), Dortmund x2, Juventus, Lazio

Basically until yesterday he'd been bad against every really good team they played, except maybe Cagliari(decent game plus set up and then scored the game winning penalty)

GlasgowCeltic

How many goals did he score during the new manager bounce period? I feel like he’s a a big reason Ole got the job

Classical Mechanic

Everything points that way, yes.

Lukaku's worst performances of the season: Slavia(H), Dortmund x2, Juventus, Lazio

Basically until yesterday he'd been bad against every really good team they played, except maybe Cagliari(decent game plus set up and then scored the game winning penalty)
His record against the top 6 was always a massive issue at United and before he played for United.

Paul_Scholes18

How many goals did he score during the new manager bounce period? I feel like he’s a a big reason Ole got the job
Scored 6 goals during a week. Not so many more I think since he was benched from the start. He certainly helped Ole get the job with the win over PSG.

Nash27

Lukaku was not good enough for united. Period. Goals and assist against Slavia Prague is not going to change the fact.
If you watched the game, you would know why. The guy is a good goalscorer but he struggles in other parts of the game as a CF.

Reactions: Cheimoon

Paul_Scholes18

Lukaku was not good enough for united. Period. Goals and assist against Slavia Prague is not going to change the fact.
If you watched the game, you would know why. The guy is a good goalscorer but he struggles in other parts of the game as a CF.
He was good enough. Not like we are having Lewandowski or Kane up front instead. Lukaku has almost scored as many goals as our team together this season.

iHicksy

Lukaku hasn't changed, he's got no better and no worse. It's simply that he's in a team playing to his strengths. He'll score goals, but the rest of his game is non existent. Jose had him playing the ball to his feet. He has the single worst first touch of a striker, maybe a player, at prem level i've ever witnessed. His movement is terrible and he's not an intelligent footballer. There's strong evidence that points to him having a poor attitude when things don't go his way and he's known for having a huge ego and acting like a child (based off people that have actually worked with im - Very recently Steve Walsh). However, he is very, very fast and very strong, and he can finish. If you play to these strengths, and these strengths only, he will score goals. Which is what we're seeing now.

Unfortunately at United, more is asked of him. He's asked to contribute to the all round attacking patterns and he's simply far too technically and tactically limited to do so. It's in everyone's interests that he left, please let's not go rewriting history because he's putting up decent numbers in a different league. His performances (if you actually watched matches and not just high-lights) for United were of a level far below what is required. Ole did the right thing in playing him on the right, which is where his strengths lie - Speed, Strength, and a wicked cross. Play him where he can run at people into space and he'll do well. Just like Valencia, he's limited, but what he's good at when used correctly can be very effective in the right circumstances. United simply cannot afford, with the rest of the squad of such a low quality to have such a limited centre forward, it's not black and white, it's just different. He's still good at what he's always been good at, and still very bad at what he's always been bad at.

MalcolmTucker

Lukaku hasn't changed, he's got no better and no worse. It's simply that he's in a team playing to his strengths. He'll score goals, but the rest of his game is non existent. Jose had him playing the ball to his feet. He has the single worst first touch of a striker, maybe a player, at prem level i've ever witnessed. His movement is terrible and he's not an intelligent footballer. There's strong evidence that points to him having a poor attitude when things don't go his way and he's known for having a huge ego and acting like a child (based off people that have actually worked with im - Very recently Steve Walsh). However, he is very, very fast and very strong, and he can finish. If you play to these strengths, and these strengths only, he will score goals. Which is what we're seeing now.

Unfortunately at United, more is asked of him. He's asked to contribute to the all round attacking patterns and he's simply far too technically and tactically limited to do so. It's in everyone's interests that he left, please let's not go rewriting history because he's putting up decent numbers in a different league. His performances (if you actually watched matches and not just high-lights) for United were of a level far below what is required. Ole did the right thing in playing him on the right, which is where his strengths lie - Speed, Strength, and a wicked cross. Play him where he can run at people into space and he'll do well. Just like Valencia, he's limited, but what he's good at when used correctly can be very effective in the right circumstances. United simply cannot afford, with the rest of the squad of such a low quality to have such a limited centre forward, it's not black and white, it's just different. He's still good at what he's always been good at, and still very bad at what he's always been bad at.
Good post

Sara125

love the hypocrisy of hitting a ball like this, when the reality is you hit a ball like this because your other foot is not good enough. It’s actually a lack of technique. Saw this often from the likes of Owen.

With that said and done, excellent pass, but hardly worthy of ‘skill of the day’ whatever that may be.
Do you know what the word hypocrisy means? And as for this post in its entirety....what :confused:

Revaulx

I feel like Lukaku had lost his joy at the club, he didn't really respect Ole either.

He clearly likes Conte and when he said you need to lose weight, he listened. They said the medical staff at Inter found something wrong in his diet also - perhaps our staff aren't doing enough in this department?
Has any other top club had as many players with weight issues in recent years? Anderson; Rooney; Schweinsteiger; Shaw; Lukaku. I’d say there’s almost certainly something wrong somewhere.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Has any other top club had as many players with weight issues in recent years? Anderson; Rooney; Schweinsteiger; Shaw; Lukaku. I’d say there’s almost certainly something wrong somewhere.
I'd say there's something right, the chef must doing a great job!

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Memphis was quite the chonk when he was here. Tony V also had a phase of looking like he was going to burst out of his shirt too. Neither were fat, but both were getting far too muscular than the sport requires.

Red_toad

Plenty of players carry a bit look like they carry a bit of extra bulk. You frequent a United forum, where fans tend whinge on about United players and it's a tad unhealthy. Tevez, Suarez, Hazard and plenty of other 'top' players can look a bit meaty from certain angles.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Plenty of players carry a bit look like they carry a bit of extra bulk. You frequent a United forum, where fans tend whinge on about United players and it's a tad unhealthy. Tevez, Suarez, Hazard and plenty of other 'top' players can look a bit meaty from certain angles.
Tevez went to Juventus and was put on a strict diet. He was in the best physical shape of his career. Maybe these Italian clubs are on to something

Seaman

Supports
Barnet
The bit in there about going for Trippier over AWB is asinine. I also hate these type of articles, because it's BS unless he also tells you about his recommendation of players they did or didn't sign that ended up being horrible.
Anyone in his position can claim I recommend this and that player. It’s not like you can prove him wrong or previous club will release a statement calling it lies.

paulscholes18

The only other club he’s averaged over 0.5 goals per game is Everton 87 in 166
Anderlecht 41 in 98
Chelsea 0 in 15
West Brom 17 in 38

Bepi

Supports
Juventus
Tevez went to Juventus and was put on a strict diet. He was in the best physical shape of his career. Maybe these Italian clubs are on to something
Yes Tevez was outstanding in any sense... even Higuain seems happy and fit these days.

Red_toad

And Higuain got fat how exactly? He was huge when he came back after summer break. None of our players rocked a beer belly like he did.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I personally think our medical staff want our players to spend too much time in the gym. Being big and strong seems more important than lean/fit.

We saw with Memphis how he ballooned up in the summer he joined us compared to how he was at PSV. He said himself he thought the premier league needed more strength, but realistically all it did was slow him down and ruin his agility.

He's now slimmed down again at Lyon and has regained his PSV form. No wonder Ole is trying to change the medical staff also.