Romelu Lukaku | Mourinho Part III | Roma watch

Jonno

Strange this thread has amassed 87 pages after his departure. I didn't think he was that controversial.

But yes, still happy he's gone.
I was thinking that. But to be fair, he is incredibly outspoken and seems to blame anything or anyone but himself. When we signed him I hoped he would be a goal machine for us. But theres something about him, you can see insecurities in his eyes when he misses a chance.

Good riddance

Revaulx

Strange way to talk about jose
Well his “bulking up” and the club’s subsequent inaction did coincide with Rui Faria’s departure, so @devilish may have a point in this case.

That doesn’t explain all the other cases we’ve had of overweight or excessively bulked up players in recent years, from Anderson onwards.

JoaquinJoaquin

Watching that game last night, There was about 400 people in the crowd :lol:. Completely embarrassing!

Djorkaef

How many goals and assists did Rashford and Martial make this PL season, against non-top 6 teams?
9 goals and 6 assists combined in 14 games.
That averages 4.5 goals and 3 assists in 14 games against the mediocre to bad teams. Which is 70% of all teams.
Should we also get the record for Lukaku at Manchester United on this stat?

Good to say Serie A is an easier competition, you really think this Manchester United would rank 1st in the Serie A?
When the front line players unable to score against defensive teams?

mad1max954

Like many people on here I knew he would smash it up in Seria A, so it’s really not surprising. lukaku has always done well against ‘lesser’ teams and I don’t think there is any doubt that the prems lower and mid table teams are much more competitive than seria a.

one big thing worth noting is the mental side. Steve Walsh warned Jose whenwe bought him that lukaku is like a big baby and will throw his toys out when it doesn’t go for him.

the fans, I think rightly, got frustrated with him as the play constantly broke down around lukaku, his first touch is still a joke.

we have also been shite for a good couple of years in an attacking sense and he didn’t really have much to thrive off by way of creativity (through balls and crossing).

all this put together and honestly I think his head had completely gone. He didn’t want to be here and couldn’t (or wouldn’t) tune in and fight for the club. Once that happened it was a only A matter of time.

it was the rightdecision to get rid, even if looking at the numbers it might not feel like it now.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
It won't be. None of them are anywhere near good enough to play as RW. Martial is playing well as 9 and Rashford is playing best season of his career as goal scoring LW.

Our problem is players behind the attack, especially very poor AMs and not good enough CMs.

Lukaku didn't play as RW regularly. He played in couple of games, he was always CF. IIRC Martial was injured so Rashford played as LW with Lukaku as CF. Lukaku gave many inconsistent versions of why he left.
As i said there were many reports and quotes about his transfer( true and false). As i recall, in one article Lukaku said that he knew it was over when Ole put him on rw. And since day one was clear that Ole sees Rashford on no9( decision which was wrong and Ole realised that on time).
Look, don't get me wrong. I think that we should and could play that trio with Rashford on the right( Mbappe is similiar type of player like Rashford and plays there often) but i respect manager's right to build squad how he wants. I am not a hypocrite. I backed Mourinho so in that i back every manager. If your manager says that he needs certain type of players then club need to buy those type of players. But me (as a fan) can say do i like it or not. I think that selling Lukaku was huge mistake.

Midfield and no10 is another topic.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
As i said there were many reports and quotes about his transfer( true and false). As i recall, in one article Lukaku said that he knew it was over when Ole put him on rw. And since day one was clear that Ole sees Rashford on no9( decision which was wrong and Ole realised that on time).
Look, don't get me wrong. I think that we should and could play that trio with Rashford on the right( Mbappe is similiar type of player like Rashford and plays there often) but i respect manager's right to build squad how he wants. I am not a hypocrite. I backed Mourinho so in that i back every manager. If your manager says that he needs certain type of players then club need to buy those type of players. But me (as a fan) can say do i like it or not. I think that selling Lukaku was huge mistake.

Midfield and no10 is another topic.
Lukaku also said he wanted to leave after the second game, he also said he wants to play in Serie A when Jose was the manager.

Selling Lukaku was not a mistake, it's one of the few good things club did post SAF. He is a coward and a cry baby, talks all big when he is coach's favorite with "you are grown up, deal with it" bs and then runs away the moment he isn't first choice.

Botim

Supports
Royal Antwerp FC
On the opinion page of Gazzetta he was compared to a (freight) train. That's an apt description of Lukaku when he is in his best shape I think: fast, strong, fearless; but not very subtle. Unfortunately when he was with us, he lost a lot of that speed and strength for some reason.

And to those saying scoring in Serie A is easy: he has more goals than Ronaldo (who plays for the best team by far), so it can't be that easy...

el3mel

Well he said he is a goalscorer and you for some reason (everybody knows that reason) started with assists and goals from open play only to make Lukaku look bad. Well it is amazing how people need to hate our ex players to justify some manager decisions and this was one of the worst, specially when we didnt have an adequate replacement.

So Rashford scored 12 goals in 1823 minutes in PL = 152 minutes per goal, without penalty kicks it is just 8 goals = from open play he scores every 227 mins.

Martial scored 7 goals in 1198 mins in PL = 171 minutes per goal (from open play, because he didnt score any penalty kick in PL)

Lukaku scored 14 goals in 1526 mins in Seria A = 109 minutes per goal, without penalty kicks it is just 11 goals = from open play he scores every 138 mins. Btw they had like 3-4 penalty kicks he didnt take.

So this quote is definitely true and you cant do anything about that. Lukaku is top CF and it was a huge mistake to prioritize Rashford in front of him. Rashford is better on the right or left, definitely not the center and Martial is hit or miss, even though he is for me our best finisher and best player from the offensive line.
The guy you are replying to had been defending Lukaku non stop while he was here and slaughtering the manager and team back then for not creating chances for him, but now since he had left he shifted his opinion 180 degrees. It's weird. Anyway, glad for the ignore function in this forum.

https://www.redcafe.net/threads/romelu-lukaku-2017-18-performances.430573/

Search his posts here.

spiriticon

He's slimmed down quite a bit hasn't he? Too bad he couldn't show that same attitude for Jose in his time here.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine

This is the Barca side that he faced.

---------------------Neto---------------------
--------Todibo-Umtiti-Lenglet---------
Wauge-Rakitic-Vidal-Alena--Firpo
-------------Perez-Greizmann------------

It was a B-team.

Napoli are having a poor season. They sit 8th in the table and are in a battle to qualify for the Europa. They're 11 points off the Champions League places.

These are the coefficients

https://www.uefa.com/memberassociations/uefarankings/country/#/yr/2020

The top 7 teams of England, Germany, Italy and Spain compete in these competitions. The good thing about them is that they dispassionately award points to the sides as they progress through the competitions. Whilst some chance factors like the kindness of the draw can affect progress etc its pretty clear that the Italian league is not in the same bracket as the English or Spanish league at the moment.

It is correct that Lukaku can only beat what's in front of him (a bit of a shallow point) and I've always rated him as a good goalscorer but he is doing well against weaker opposition currently. It is what it is. I have zero regrets about him leaving United. In fact I'm glad he left because he's awful to watch whilst being a bitter and small character.
God forbid he score against one of the best teams in Europe and it be discounted!

The simple fact of the matter is we could do with his goal scoring here this season. Anyone that denies that is heavily deluded.

In his two seasons here he was top scorer and second top scorer, he is currently outscoring Ronaldo and is second on the serie A scorer charts with a ratio of a goal every 109 minutes, impressive stats which obviously don't count because not every goal was against Juventus.

Three Italian teams through to the quarters of the CL shows that the league still has quality, Napoli have had a torrid season due to their off pitch issues yet still beat Liverpool, something other teams seem to be having a tough time to do recently.

Its obvious your thoughts on the guy, my thoughts are that he's a goalscorer which when utilized correctly is lethal, and one which we shouldn't have got rid off without properly replacing, hes showing that this season in an unfancied team that is currently top of their respective league.

roonster09

Scout
The simple fact of the matter is we could do with his goal scoring here this season. Anyone that denies that is heavily deluded.
:lol: people just ignore everything and fall back on "he is great goal scorer".

We really miss his less than 1 goal per month at ManUtd.

kopviolator

I was thinking that. But to be fair, he is incredibly outspoken and seems to blame anything or anyone but himself. When we signed him I hoped he would be a goal machine for us. But theres something about him, you can see insecurities in his eyes when he misses a chance.

Good riddance
I don't know. He just comes across as a big baby to me. There is no doubt he can be a very good goalscorer when he has service but he obviously has his limits as well and they become glaring in a dysfunctional team, especially when he fails to keep his weight in check. I have nothing against him. He can act childish if he wants, I just think he's the wrong fit for this club.

Classical Mechanic

God forbid he score against one of the best teams in Europe and it be discounted!

In his two seasons here he was top scorer and second top scorer, he is currently outscoring Ronaldo and is second on the serie A scorer charts with a ratio of a goal every 109 minutes, impressive stats which obviously don't count because not every goal was against Juventus.

Three Italian teams through to the quarters of the CL shows that the league still has quality, Napoli have had a torrid season due to their off pitch issues yet still beat Liverpool, something other teams seem to be having a tough time to do recently.

Its obvious your thoughts on the guy, my thoughts are that he's a goalscorer which when utilized correctly is lethal, and one which we shouldn't have got rid off without properly replacing, hes showing that this season in an unfancied team that is currently top of their respective league.
Barca played a B-team, its a simple fact, it's a minor achievement with an * against it. I'm not really interested in getting bogged down with facile arguments like 'Napoli beat Liverpool' etc, the coefficients give a grading from all performances, it isn't just the CL teams that it helps to grade, its the the EL teams too, its the 7 best teams from the top leagues from the previous seasons. It gives the best indicator there is to the strength of leagues. He's taken a step down in level so you'd logically expect better returns from him.

He's a good goalscorer, not a great one. There's an argument that he should have been replaced but this is a transition season regardless, any replacement would have impinged on the progress of Greenwood which promises longer term gains.

What there isn't an argument about is that he should have left, he was unpopular in the dressing room, unpopular with the fans and didn't want to be here. Exactly the kind of player that we don't want. To get such a big fee was fantastic by the club.

HowYouDoin

:lol: This is why you can’t take this forum seriously
According to transfermarket Brozovic is the 5th most valuable defensive midfielder in the world and hes valued at 54 million.

https://www.soccity.net/inter-marcelo-brozovic

Also read the link above. Stats clearly show he is one of the best in the world at his position. Criminally underrated player.

He is absolutely a top 5 DM in the world, both in terms of his price and even more so in terms of his contribution and how good he is.

MalcolmTucker

Well he said he is a goalscorer and you for some reason (everybody knows that reason) started with assists and goals from open play only to make Lukaku look bad. Well it is amazing how people need to hate our ex players to justify some manager decisions and this was one of the worst, specially when we didnt have an adequate replacement.

So Rashford scored 12 goals in 1823 minutes in PL = 152 minutes per goal, without penalty kicks it is just 8 goals = from open play he scores every 227 mins.

Martial scored 7 goals in 1198 mins in PL = 171 minutes per goal (from open play, because he didnt score any penalty kick in PL)

Lukaku scored 14 goals in 1526 mins in Seria A = 109 minutes per goal, without penalty kicks it is just 11 goals = from open play he scores every 138 mins. Btw they had like 3-4 penalty kicks he didnt take.

So this quote is definitely true and you cant do anything about that. Lukaku is top CF and it was a huge mistake to prioritize Rashford in front of him. Rashford is better on the right or left, definitely not the center and Martial is hit or miss, even though he is for me our best finisher and best player from the offensive line.
Yeah but you're comparing Lukaku's goalscoring in Serie A for Inter.

Rashford has already matched Lukaku's PL goal tally last season in 12 fewer games from the left, all while actually scoring important goals against the top 6. Meanwhile Martial has a far better goal to game ratio than Lukaku last season. This is for Man Utd, not Inter and without Pogba creating for them all season.

It was the right call to prioritise Martial/Rashford over Lukaku - we saw Lukaku at his peak and he managed to get overweight, become unpopular in the dressing room, push for a move and score 15 goals while falling over the ball. We know he's not good enough, he had 1.5 years as undisputed first choice and didn't make it his own. Whether Rashford and Martial prove to be good enough remains to be seen but at least they have the potential to be and are already matching what Lukaku did here last season.

roonster09

Scout
Dude, I have absolutly no idea why you are so salty and rude. Justify what? Maybe letting Lukaku go without an adequate replacement, I have already said that.

If we talk about someone being a GOALSCORER, we are deifnitely not interested in asissts, you can only guess why. For example golden boot in PL is presented for best goalscorer, but for some reason they dont care about assists (it is because they have nothing to do with goalscorirng ability of a player, but dont tell anybody).
Rude? fecking hell maybe we have Lukaku posting here. Start the post with nonsense like
"Well it is amazing how people need to hate our ex players to justify some manager decisions and this was one of the worst, specially when we didnt have an adequate replacement."
Dude, I have absolutly no idea why you are so salty and rude
and then moan about posts being rude.

Did anyone even argue that not signing replacement was a good decision? I don't remember anyone arguing it and I for one didn't. Selling him was the right decision, not signing one more attacker was bad one.

When people argue about goal scoring, it's their usual contribution to the goals that is argued, not that golden boot winning criteria. For how many goals a particular player has contributed, which is goals + assists. This season Martial and Rashford goal contribution is equally good and we haven't missed him.

Sou you have only debunked that you hate Lukaku for some reason and try to change the point to make him look bad.
Eh? For once instead of coming up with crap like "hate, changing goal posts" think and see how good goal scorer he is. Here is the hint, count the goals and divide by seasons.

He is natural goalscorer, I actually never heard some pundit to deny that. He has a lot of problems as a player, f.e. his horrbile first touch or that he is sometimes one dimensional player, but he can definitely score goals and thats the point.
He is a natural goal scorer and never heard pundit deny that :lol: That should settle the argument.

You judge him based on his last season with us (worst season in our PL history?) and he played second part of the season as a RW, because Olé wanted Rashford to prove himself (and he failed).
Lukaku played second part of the season as RW? If you think couple of games as second part of the season then yes.

Lukaku goals in PL for last seasons? Ok.

18/19 12 goals
17/18 16 goals
16/17 25 goals
15/16 18 goals
14/15 10 goals
Thanks for proving my point. It's 16 league goals on an average, which is what I said. Amazing how you can argue without even knowing what you are arguing.

Btw I remeber I did some math last year and in PL he had around 150-160 goals per minute for last 3-4 years, so what is actually your problem with him?
I never said that he was awsome for us, I said it was mistake to let him go because we ended up without classic CF and Rashford or Martial are definitely not awesome either. While he proved himself in Serie A, we are struggling big time.
It's a problem for players like Lukaku who is limited and offers nothing apart from goals. He is proving himself in Serie A? What a shame we play in PL and he was averaging 14-16 goals in PL. Maybe we should have started a petition to play in Serie A so that Lukaku could have scored more goals as he was clearly not scoring enough in PL.

Ban

Guys laughing at the notion of us looking into Brozović. They're either on a wum or don't watch Intern or both. Absolutely fantastic player, we'd be lucky to have him.

lsd

The Oracle
Yeah, we'll discount his goal against Barca, and against Napoli last night because they didn't beat Liverpool recently.
My word, :lol: :rolleyes:
He can only score what's in front of him, that's what he's doing. And doing very well.
I'd rather my striker get 20 plus goals a season rather than 5 against the top sides.

Whenever anyone tried to justify disliking a striker saying they are a flat track bully they lose the argument.

It's a ridiculous thing to say that forwards can only be judged if they score against the big teams

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Guys laughing at the notion of us looking into Brozović. They're either on a wum or don't watch Intern or both. Absolutely fantastic player, we'd be lucky to have him.
He is a good player, I don't know about top 5 but I think that he is better than Matic was at Benfica before his move back to Chelsea. Also he has been one of the busiest players in the last 4 or 5 years, he is always covering an incredible amount of ground.

Ban

He is a good player, I don't know about top 5 but I think that he is better than Matic was at Benfica before his move back to Chelsea. Also he has been one of the busiest players in the last 4 or 5 years, he is always covering an incredible amount of ground.
Exactly that. He seems to be all over the pitch at any time and has a great engine on him.
He's been our 2nd most important player in Russia after Modrić of course imo. And like someone said here, he's an incredibly underrated player.

JPRouve

Scout
Exactly that. He seems to be all over the pitch at any time and has a great engine on him.
He's been our 2nd most important player in Russia after Modrić of course imo. And like someone said here, he's an incredibly underrated player.
We should have tried to get him when Inter were desperate for Lukaku, my understanding is that his position at Inter wasn't that solid but now he is going to cost a fortune, if he is even interested.

HowYouDoin

I think Brozovic is better than Modric now. Brozovic improved a great deal since 2018 especially under Conte whereas Modric is still good, just maybe declined a bit.

Ban

I think Brozovic is better than Modric now. Brozovic improved a great deal since 2018 especially under Conte whereas Modric is still good, just maybe declined a bit.
Different players but yeah, they're going in opposite directions due to age. It has come to the point of me dreading the game if Broz isn't playing.

Ban

We should have tried to get him when Inter were desperate for Lukaku, my understanding is that his position at Inter wasn't that solid but now he is going to cost a fortune, if he is even interested.
Sometimes most obvious things are impossible for our club. At least we should have tried, yeah.

Paul_Scholes18

Lots of hate here still. He is certainly not the lost likeable person, but he scores goals and win you games.

Inter has been crap for years, but he takes them to the top so far just after he joined. He took Everton far higher than they would have got without him and they have fired manager left and right without him because the results have dropped a lot.

He made us challenge for the league initially and played very well. Then something happened when we lost against Man City. He had a pure nightmare in that game and got slated which he deserved. Could never really recover top form after that under Mourinho.
He had a decent spell under Ole when he played before he got injured too. 6 goals in a week and also some good cup games. After that he looked totally out of shape and people wanted him sold.

Sadly we badly miss him and I do think with a fit Lukaku we would easily be in top 4 now. Although with football it is hard to know as it looked like he wanted out. If that was the case we should have just gone for another striker even if not as good as Lukaku.

Champ

Barca played a B-team, its a simple fact, it's a minor achievement with an * against it. I'm not really interested in getting bogged down with facile arguments like 'Napoli beat Liverpool' etc, the coefficients give a grading from all performances, it isn't just the CL teams that it helps to grade, its the the EL teams too, its the 7 best teams from the top leagues from the previous seasons. It gives the best indicator there is to the strength of leagues. He's taken a step down in level so you'd logically expect better returns from him.

He's a good goalscorer, not a great one. There's an argument that he should have been replaced but this is a transition season regardless, any replacement would have impinged on the progress of Greenwood which promises longer term gains.

What there isn't an argument about is that he should have left, he was unpopular in the dressing room, unpopular with the fans and didn't want to be here. Exactly the kind of player that we don't want. To get such a big fee was fantastic by the club.
If he's taken a step down then surely he will be playing with players not quite as good and will be getting worse service etc so surely goals would be harder to come by?
You can use that whole 'poorer league standard' to your advantage no matter what side of the fence you are on.

I agree that keeping him here would have hindered the likes of Greenwood, and for that I am grateful. I believe we shouldn't have got rid of Lukaku without getting in a replacement however, Rashford and Martial are both better cutting in from wide positions, leaving room for one more uptop - Fergie always had four strikers.

Classical Mechanic

If he's taken a step down then surely he will be playing with players not quite as good and will be getting worse service etc so surely goals would be harder to come by?
You can use that whole 'poorer league standard' to your advantage no matter what side of the fence you are
I think that's way off the mark. It's reverse logic. His team has a relative strength within that league, which is different to the relative strength of the league compared to other leagues.

It's a strange world where you'd expect forwards to score less in easier leagues.

I'm not against the idea of another striker, I was for signing Haaland. That said, the departure of Lukaku, under any conditions, is not something I feel bad about.

JPRouve

Scout
You can use that whole 'poorer league standard' to your advantage no matter what side of the fence you are on.

I agree that keeping him here would have hindered the likes of Greenwood, and for that I am grateful. I believe we shouldn't have got rid of Lukaku without getting in a replacement however, Rashford and Martial are both better cutting in from wide positions, leaving room for one more uptop - Fergie always had four strikers.
This is a fallacy that is often used the other away around. Think about it this way, the top scorer in the Championship scores roughly as many goals as the top scorer in the Premier league. The overall level of competition is lower whether you are looking at the opposition or within your own team.

MalcolmTucker

:lol: this is one of the dumbest things I've read in a while

Champ

I think that's way off the mark. It's reverse logic. His team has a relative strength within that league, which is different to the relative strength of the league compared to other leagues.

It's a strange world where you'd expect forwards to score less in easier leagues.

I'm not against the idea of another striker, I was for signing Haaland. That said, the departure of Lukaku, under any conditions, is not something I feel bad about.
The relative strength comes from his goalscoring, which last night he created himself, minimal input from team mates. Not always the case but my point remains, is it harder to score goals with creativity from average players than with world class players?

personally i feel Lukaku has scored goals for fun anywhere he has played, at any level, so the level of opposition and team mates is irrelevant, I was merely highlighting how the argument of a weaker league standard being easier to score goals in can be reversed.

Classical Mechanic

The relative strength comes from his goalscoring, which last night he created himself, minimal input from team mates. Not always the case but my point remains, is it harder to score goals with creativity from average players than with world class players?

personally i feel Lukaku has scored goals for fun anywhere he has played, at any level, so the level of opposition and team mates is irrelevant, I was merely highlighting how the argument of a weaker league standard being easier to score goals in can be reversed.
It can't be reversed though, you're making a wacky point here. Even by your measure of him creating these goals himself as you claim then it's easier to do so against weaker defenders.

He didn't 'score goals for fun', he did OK at United but was disappointing given that he reverted back to his mediocre returns rather than building on, or matching, his best season at Everton. His goal scoring record in the PL was average almost all of the time. His last season at Everton he got 25 which was impressive but his other totals were 17,15,10,18,16,12. Solid and dependable, if unspectacular all told.

roonster09

Scout
The guy you are replying to had been defending Lukaku non stop while he was here and slaughtering the manager and team back then for not creating chances for him, but now since he had left he shifted his opinion 180 degrees. It's weird. Anyway, glad for the ignore function in this forum.

https://www.redcafe.net/threads/romelu-lukaku-2017-18-performances.430573/

Search his posts here.
Pussy, can't even tag. Says thanks for the ignore function but still reads the posts. :lol:

If you weren't so dumb you would have also read my posts where I said I wanted him to be signed when he was at Everton and since his last season I wanted him gone. But that's too much to expect from spambots. I defended him when he was at Everton too and criticized him when he was at ManUtd (2018-19) but then again, I don't expect spam bots to even understand all that.

At least use the latest posts and post 2018-19 thread. Who even knew opinions on players changes with time either positively or negatively. Maybe I should support Jose too since I supported him back in 2016

Last edited:

MalcolmTucker

Explain why?
I'm not sure where to start. First of all, Inter are a better team than us at the moment. Going to a weaker league doesn't mean every team is weaker, obviously - Juventus are better than Wolves, Atalanta are better than Norwich. That said, Serie A is undoubtedly not as strong as the premier league currently and Lukaku gets the benefit of playing against weaker defenders week in, week out.

To put it another way, if you plonked last season's United with Lukaku into Serie A, you'd expect us to finish higher than 6th and Lukaku to finish higher than 16th top scorer in the league.

Last edited:

Champ

I'm not sure where to start. First of all, Inter are a better team than us at the moment. Going to a weaker league doesn't mean every team is weaker, obviously - Juventus are better than Wolves, Atalanta are better than Norwich. That said, Serie A is undoubtedly not as strong as the premier league currently and Lukaku gets the benefit of playing against weaker defenders week in, week out.

To put it another way, if you plonked last season's United with Lukaku into Serie A, you'd expect us to finish higher than 6th and Lukaku to finish higher than 16th top scorer in the league.
Last seasons United wouldn't finish in the top four in Italy - all hypothetical granted but there were easily three teams better than United in Serie A last season.

Why can you highlight that he is playing against weaker defenders, yet I can't highlight the fact he is playing with weaker midfielders than he did last season which is inherently true?

Once again, I'll reiterate it, Lukaku is scoring goals, lots of them, we could do with them goals as we appear to be struggling to put teams to bed. That is my only point regarding Lukaku,

MancunianAngels

Supports
FC United
He’s ultimately proving that whilst not being world class, he is a very good striker.

He would have done well in any United team pre May 2013