Romelu Lukaku | Mourinho Part III | Roma watch

zlatan_ish

juventino
Supports
La Vecchia Signora
How many goals and assists did Rashford and Martial make this PL season, against non-top 6 teams?
9 goals and 6 assists combined in 14 games.
That averages 4.5 goals and 3 assists in 14 games against the mediocre to bad teams. Which is 70% of all teams.
Should we also get the record for Lukaku at Manchester United on this stat?

Good to say Serie A is an easier competition, you really think this Manchester United would rank 1st in the Serie A?
When the front line players unable to score against defensive teams?
Dude, this is the forum where people said Welbeck will score more goals than Ibrahimovic in Serie A before he came to Premier League. Then when Ibra went to United, he suddenly became messiah at age 38 or something.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
At least this thread provides a constant update into some of the more clueless posters on the site. Genuinely can’t believe people still want him here :houllier:

Paul_Scholes18

Dude, this is the forum where people said Welbeck will score more goals than Ibrahimovic in Serie A before he came to Premier League. Then when Ibra went to United, he suddenly became messiah at age 38 or something.
I liked Welbeck, but that is crazy. Welbeck was never a big goalscorer even if he was good at many other things.

GifLord

Better at GIFs than posts
Amazing every time he scores people come into this thread overrating him.
Have some of you even watched the match?

MalcolmTucker

Why can you highlight that he is playing against weaker defenders, yet I can't highlight the fact he is playing with weaker midfielders than he did last season which is inherently true?
What's your point? Even if it's true, Lukaku did play with these 'superior midfielders' last season and got 15 goals total. This season he would have been without Pogba and being fed by McTominay, Fred, Andreas and Lingard. The fact Rashford has matched Lukaku's total from the left in 12 fewer games and Martial has a better goal to game ratio shows that we were right to trust them ahead of him just on goals alone, let alone on ability on the ball and team chemistry.

Once again, I'll reiterate it, Lukaku is scoring goals, lots of them, we could do with them goals as we appear to be struggling to put teams to bed. That is my only point regarding Lukaku,
Let me reiterate, Lukaku scored an average amount of goals for us and both Rashford and Martial will outscore his 18/19 total this season, all the while he was getting himself overweight and was stinking out the place with his touch. You're arguing as if he never played for United, he was here and wasn't good enough so it doesn't really matter what he does at Inter - we saw two years of him being below par. I agree he'd have been a great option from the bench and I'm sure he'd have got a few against Watford/Bournemouth et al, but he was clearly pushing for a move, was unpopular and we managed to get our money back - it made complete sense to let go of him.

Last edited:

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Far as this place is concerned his problem at United was not being as good as RVN, Cristiano, Rooney and RVP

Absolutely not the kind of player i'd expect fans of a big club to be missing

Doing great at Inter under a genuinely fantastic coach who can squeeze blood out of stones and turned Inter into a machine overnight. League is weaker than PL and also much more suited to big physical strikers like him

R'hllor

Nobody watches whats going on the pitch no more, you talking to place where if you say football was shit, performance was poor, they come back with "fecking moaners, we won 1:0 and people still bitching".

At least this thread provides a constant update into some of the more clueless posters on the site. Genuinely can’t believe people still want him here :houllier:
Would rather have Tevez or Di Maria back than Lukuku. At least they were top players with shit attitudes. Lukuku is a painfully average player with a shit attitude.

freeurmind

weak willed
I thought he was good. Maybe quiet after 2-0 but his touch was good and his first goal was an excellent finish.

elánius

Well this is rea
Yeah but you're comparing Lukaku's goalscoring in Serie A for Inter.

Rashford has already matched Lukaku's PL goal tally last season in 12 fewer games from the left, all while actually scoring important goals against the top 6. Meanwhile Martial has a far better goal to game ratio than Lukaku last season. This is for Man Utd, not Inter and without Pogba creating for them all season.

It was the right call to prioritise Martial/Rashford over Lukaku - we saw Lukaku at his peak and he managed to get overweight, become unpopular in the dressing room, push for a move and score 15 goals while falling over the ball. We know he's not good enough, he had 1.5 years as undisputed first choice and didn't make it his own. Whether Rashford and Martial prove to be good enough remains to be seen but at least they have the potential to be and are already matching what Lukaku did here last season.
Well first you critisize me because I am comparing Lukaku´s goalscoring record in Seria A, but then you compare Lukaku´s goalscoring record from last year with goalscoring record of our players from this season, it doesnt make much sense to me. Btw Rashford already played more than 1800 minute this season in PL, Lukaku played only around 2100 in last one.

And like I said, Lukaku under Ole played out of his position as a RW and he still had a better record than Rashford, who was used as a main striker and to be honest, Lukaku was the main reason Olé got his full time contract with United, because his two goals against PSG made the difference. Actually I dont see any reason that it was a good decision, because Rashford already proved that he is not a classic striker and his qualities are better used in a wide positions, f.e as a winger and Martial.. well, I like him a lot but he is an injury prone and he is hit or miss at best as a striker and I think he is similar to Rashford. I see him rather as a winger than as a striker, but a big problem is he probably has tottaly different opinion.
If Lukaku showed that he is not good enough in 18 months, what exactly actually Rashford or Martial showed in last 4 season to be trusted more than him?

My main problem with Lukakus departure is that we lost so many attacking options, because even though he could be one dimensional player, he still tall and strong number 9 with excellent finish. Now we rely on Martials finishing, but he didnt play so much and Rashford is similar finisher like Danny Welbeck.

MalcolmTucker

Well first you critisize me because I am comparing Lukaku´s goalscoring record in Seria A, but then you compare Lukaku´s goalscoring record from last year with goalscoring record of our players from this season, it doesnt make much sense to me. Btw Rashford already played more than 1800 minute this season in PL, Lukaku played only around 2100 in last one.
So, Rashford has scored the same amount of goals in 300 fewer minutes in the league. He's also scored 2 more goals in 711 fewer minutes if you count season totals. That's a goal every 153 minutes for Rashford and a goal every 200 minutes for Lukaku. Martial also has a goal every 153 minutes this season. Once again, this is with our only creative midfielder out all season.

And like I said, Lukaku under Ole played out of his position as a RW and he still had a better record than Rashford
Lukaku must have played about 3 games max at RW during his time here so that's a load of bollocks.

Actually I dont see any reason that it was a good decision, because Rashford already proved that he is not a classic striker and his qualities are better used in a wide positions, f.e as a winger and Martial.. well, I like him a lot but he is an injury prone and he is hit or miss at best as a striker and I think he is similar to Rashford. I see him rather as a winger than as a striker, but a big problem is he probably has tottaly different opinion.
If Lukaku showed that he is not good enough in 18 months, what exactly actually Rashford or Martial showed in last 4 season to be trusted more than him?
I don't disagree with some of these points and Martial's injury record does worry me, but to answer your question as to what Rashford and Martial showed to be more trusted than Lukaku? Well first they can both control a ball and are able to link-up play infinitely better than Lukaku. How many times OT groaned when the ball bounced off Lukaku when we were in good positions are countless - it was honestly embarrassing. Individually, Rashford has great work-rate, fitness and attitude that dwarves Lukaku's. Martial on the other hand is vastly superior in all technical aspects of football. Both of them have higher ceilings than Lukaku and that is clear by simply watching them play and so far this season they have both been better than him when he was here. We've gambled with them because of their potential and while they aren't great yet, they are both young and should peak in 3+ years. If Lukaku stayed it would have meant one of Martial and Rashford being on the bench or stuck on the RW and I guarantee neither would have scored as many goals as they have this season as Lukaku stifled our attacks.

My main problem with Lukakus departure is that we lost so many attacking options, because even though he could be one dimensional player, he still tall and strong number 9 with excellent finish. Now we rely on Martials finishing, but he didnt play so much and Rashford is similar finisher like Danny Welbeck.
I don't think anyone would disagree that having Lukaku as an option would be good for us, but he wouldn't have been first choice and circumstance means it was right to sell him. He wasn't good enough, he was unpopular, he was overweight and we got a lot of money for him and personally I am glad Greenwood is getting minutes over him. Also, comparing Rashford's finishing to Welbeck's is hyperbole especially when you describe Lukaku as having 'excellent finish' when he isn't very clinical himself, especially against decent opposition.

Last edited:

Botim

Supports
Royal Antwerp FC
Asked about Lukaku by a reporter praising him, Conte replied:

"I thought he was a donkey? That's what I've been hearing, even recently. It's easy to compliment him now, but this seemed tot be the general opinion a while ago. I've always said Romelu was a diamond in the rough that needed some polishing. The same goes for Lautaro. These guys are 26 and 22 years old, still young. I've wanted to sign Lukaku since I was at Chelsea. Even at Juve I already had my eyes on him. Now I finally get the chance tot polish that diamond."

Makes you wonder where we'd be now had we signed Conte instead of Ole at some point...

GifLord

Better at GIFs than posts
Asked about Lukaku by a reporter praising him, Conte replied:

"I thought he was a donkey? That's what I've been hearing, even recently. It's easy to compliment him now, but this seemed tot be the general opinion a while ago. I've always said Romelu was a diamond in the rough that needed some polishing. The same goes for Lautaro. These guys are 26 and 22 years old, still young. I've wanted to sign Lukaku since I was at Chelsea. Even at Juve I already had my eyes on him. Now I finally get the chance tot polish that diamond."

Makes you wonder where we'd be now had we signed Conte instead of Ole at some point...
Yeah we'd be top right? :lol:

You'd need a miracle worker to even get this squad to top 4. There's no squad depth and because of that we have to keep on playing players that aren't even good enough to be backup - at least not for a club who wants to challenge for titles

Botim

Supports
Royal Antwerp FC

You'd need a miracle worker to even get this squad to top 4. There's no squad depth and because of that we have to keep on playing players that aren't even good enough to be backup - at least not for a club who wants to challenge for titles
Well, he does seem to like our castaways (Lukaku, Sanchez, now Young), so who knows? :wenger:

Obviously nowhere near topof the league, but I think surely top 4...

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid

I get that the PL is a stronger league and everything but Inter are joint first in the league and have dropped a grand total of 9 points with Sensi missing nearly 3 months, Barella missing in December, Asamoah still injured, Alexis Sanchez injured since October. Biraghi and Vecino are among their top 10 most used players, Gagliardini played quite a bit, Borja Valero had to play like 4 or 5 games in a row, their main backup striker has been a 17 year old, their starting RWB is the italian version of Ashley Young...

If Conte is not a miracle worker, then he's the next best thing at least

rojo81

Supports
Juventus
Watching that game last night, There was about 400 people in the crowd :lol:. Completely embarrassing!
More like 40,000. For whatever reason the lower stands of San Paolo are always empty, so the stadium appears empty on TV. But their average for the season is above 30,000 so I assume against inter it was close to 40,000.

-Supreme-

Somebody's PR department has been busy. His success has nothing to do with the fact that 18 of the teams in the league are the cannon fodder level he has always excelled against.
Funnily enough those are the teams that we struggle the most

el3mel

Somebody's PR department has been busy. His success has nothing to do with the fact that 18 of the teams in the league are the cannon fodder level he has always excelled against.
Sorry but I honestly don't get why people get irritated when he's praised in the media. I don't get it. It's like since he left us he needs to massively fail and everything to burn for us to enjoy it and proves that it wasn't our porblem. He has no relationship with us anymore. He is now a neutral player for us and that's about it. As regarding the continuous underrating of Serie A whenever it's mentioned as here, with Smalling or even Young, Ronaldo himself hasn't been putting any similar numbers to the absurd numbers he was putting up till his last season in LA Liga.

He's not a world class striker but definitely a decent one who has his flaws. Unfortunately it didn't work for him here, and his last season was poor after an initial good enough season. I didn't regret selling him as much as I regret letting him leave without any replacement. I would have done with him being on the bench rather than putting Mata or Lingard when we need a goal. People say he wanted out, but Pogba wanted out too and didn't get his wish. It was up to us and imo since we failed to sign any striker in summer and he was literally sold on the last day of the market, we should have kept him for one more season or at least till Jan so that we have another chance to sign a striker. He would have shut up and played anyway, as he has no choice thanks to him being under contract.

He's a very good player and a nice guy. Happy to see his success.
he’s not a nice guy at all, that’s beyond doubt. Mata is a nice guy, Lukuku is an egomaniac narcissist who couldn’t even be bothered to keep himself fit for the fans that pay him a massive wage. He’s also more than happy to throw his team mates under the bus. Unless of course you thought nice guy was a synonym for utter twat.

the other bit is debatable - and I think he’s an average striker, that’s very lucky that a lot of people don’t notice he generally scores against cannon fodder and rarely contributes in big matches. He exists at a good team only because there are so few strikers around.

Focusmate

Supports
Non League
Not impressed with what he has come out with since leaving but could understand why he wanted to leave.
We never got the wingers Jose wanted and he needs to thrive and then Ole came in saying how much he loved Rashy and Lukaku was going to be a permanent bench warmer
Didnt work out for him here and if he would wind his neck in Id wish him well

TheReligion

Abusive
Yeah but you're comparing Lukaku's goalscoring in Serie A for Inter.

Rashford has already matched Lukaku's PL goal tally last season in 12 fewer games from the left, all while actually scoring important goals against the top 6. Meanwhile Martial has a far better goal to game ratio than Lukaku last season. This is for Man Utd, not Inter and without Pogba creating for them all season.

It was the right call to prioritise Martial/Rashford over Lukaku - we saw Lukaku at his peak and he managed to get overweight, become unpopular in the dressing room, push for a move and score 15 goals while falling over the ball. We know he's not good enough, he had 1.5 years as undisputed first choice and didn't make it his own. Whether Rashford and Martial prove to be good enough remains to be seen but at least they have the potential to be and are already matching what Lukaku did here last season.
Good post mate

432JuanMata

Lukaku did score 27 for us the season before last. Last season was his first bad scoring season really which was disappointing as he got 26 at Everton then 27 here was hoping he would kick in but had a horrible season last year.

Don’t miss him that much just miss a replacement we didn’t get

MalcolmTucker

Lukaku did score 27 for us the season before last. Last season was his first bad scoring season really which was disappointing as he got 26 at Everton then 27 here was hoping he would kick in but had a horrible season last year.

Don’t miss him that much just miss a replacement we didn’t get
27 is a good number but if you look closer it confirms the flat track bully tag.

PL:
34 games/16 goals (only 1 goal in 10 games against the top 6).

CL:
8 games/5 goals (against Sevilla, CSKA Moscow and Basel)

FA Cup:
6 games/5 goals (against Yeovil, Brighton, Huddersfield & Derby) and his goalscoring exploits stopped when facing Spurs and Chelsea in the semi-final and final respectively.

27 goals is a decent total regardless and obviously strikers are going to score more goals against weaker competition, but it is a definite trend with Lukaku which coupled with his obvious flaws make him not good enough for me.

ryan_forlan

Gullible
Another brace from him. In the coppa this time. Tidy finishes both of them.
It would be nice for inter to win the serie A title and for lukaku to be the highest goal scorer.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
He's a very good player and a nice guy. Happy to see his success.
He's really not, he has a huge ego and is a fake humble guy. Throws a tantrum when things don't go his way as well.

He's doing what he's always been doing in his career, dominating against physically lesser players and lesser teams overall most of the time. He'll never be the main guy at a genuine world class team because he ain't good enough. Can't wait to be frustrated with him again for the majority of the Euros.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
He's really not, he has a huge ego and is a fake humble guy. Throws a tantrum when things don't go his way as well.

He's doing what he's always been doing in his career, dominating against physically lesser players and lesser teams overall most of the time. He'll never be the main guy at a genuine world class team because he ain't good enough. Can't wait to be frustrated with him again for the majority of the Euros.
It's not an easy league though, otherwise Ronaldo would be smashing in 50 goals a season. Whilst it's not the best league in the world it's not as bad as say the French.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
It's not an easy league though, otherwise Ronaldo would be smashing in 50 goals a season. Whilst it's not the best league in the world it's not as bad as say the French.
Leave the french league out of it, it's not a bad league either and you don't score for fun in it.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
He's benefitting from a well drilled team, a fantastic partner in Martinez and a midfield/wingbacks that can service him properly. Simples.

He has definitely got fitter/sharper and looks more confident though, even simple things like hold up play has improved quite a bit. Probably helps that the average italian defender can't actually match him for strength/size and he can back into them and rag doll them fairly easily.

romufc

It is the same with Smalling, fans watching the highlights of goals and good blocks thinking they are the greatest players.

Seems that last season performances are a distant memory.