Romelu Lukaku | Mourinho Part III | Roma watch

fps

Who let you out of the newbies? unnecessary post.

The tweet is brilliant against a Lukaku who acted really unproffessional before he left in the summer.
No I agree with them, Shaw should be quiet and focus on getting fit, because Europa League looks beyond his level at this point and Man Utd are meant to be a bigger club than this kind of sniping.

fps

I remember Suarez was labelled as "flat track bully" with Liverpool, aka only scored against outside Top 4. He's still a top striker.

Of course it would be better if he's consistently scoring against bottom and top teams.
Who labelled Suarez that? I certainly don’t remember it. Was it anyone whose opinion was proven to have worth?

RUCK4444

Rom has decent and consistent numbers, he's placed in a pretty unusual position of being better than average but definitely not good enough for a top side.

There's not a lot of players as good as him that get as much shite from fans.

He's basically an excellent signing for a mid table side and a pretty average and underwhelming signing for a top side.

mariachi-19

I may be the devil, but i'm not a monster
Rom has decent and consistent numbers, he's placed in a pretty unusual position of being better than average but definitely not good enough for a top side.

There's not a lot of players as good as him that get as much shite from fans.

He's basically an excellent signing for a mid table side and a pretty average and underwhelming signing for a top side.
Darren Bent, Nicholas Anelka and Jermain Defoe like this.

Irrational.

People say this and think that it will be an easy game. Mark this post but watch us get them in the round of 32 and get knocked out by one of his goals.
And you can bet your bottom dollar we'll see another tit-for-tat Twitter exchange from Lukaku. He's as thin-skinned as they come.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Suarez was a flat track bully but he was also a pest even when he wasnt scoring. Lukaku might as well not be there.
Agreed. The flat track bully refers to the teams he was scoring against, not his workrate or others.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Who labelled Suarez that? I certainly don’t remember it. Was it anyone whose opinion was proven to have worth?
Huh? It was common saying in here. Mostly just in jest mixed with jealousy, though. Everybody knew he was top striker at that time.

AlexUTD

No I agree with them, Shaw should be quiet and focus on getting fit, because Europa League looks beyond his level at this point and Man Utd are meant to be a bigger club than this kind of sniping.
What is this "Holier than thou" attitude?

Lukaku was a cnut this summer and we cannot be the same back?

Get over yourselves.

SAFMUTD

It's telling that not a single United player, as far as I know, wished Lukaku well on social media after the move. Compare that to when Fellaini left and many players had a kind message for him.
Damn...I hadnt noticed that....speak a lot about how the dressing room felt about how the things went with Lukaku not going to training and stuff.

meamth

Nice banter but its kind of petty but moreso, embarrassing for us.

"Welcome back to the shit-tip we've been inhabiting in your absence, you loser"

There are no winners in this type of situation! I doubt very much that Lukaku will be that bothered, they have a good chance of winning the trophy (more than us, in my opinion) and are doing better in the league over there.

We are better off without each other.
Thing is, when you won the serie A, its on the 3rd or 4th page in any newspaper in the world.

People just don't care what happens in that league besides Ronaldo and racism issues.

Lukaku can act like a winner, but deep down he knows why he failed at Manchester United.

If you're a great player, you don't fail at the biggest stage of your career.

mu4c_20le

You must be great at parties.

mariachi-19

I may be the devil, but i'm not a monster
Thing is, when you won the serie A, its on the 3rd or 4th page in any newspaper in the world.

People just don't care what happens in that league besides Ronaldo and racism issues.

Lukaku can act like a winner, but deep down he knows why he failed at Manchester United.

If you're a great player, you don't fail at the biggest stage of your career.
Pretty much this.

For the rest of his career he'll be referred to as "former Manchester United player and current xxx player"

Quite telling as well that he hasn't sent a laughing tweet back to Shaw as if to say it was a joke between mates...

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
He’s the worst starting or rotational no.9 or 10 we’ve had in the last 25 years, by far. And he cost a packet. Hughes, Cole, Yorke, Cantona, Sheringham, Solskjær, Forlan, Van Nistelrooy, Saha, Rashford, Martial, Ibrahimovich, Rooney, Tévez, Berbatov, Hernández, Larsson, Van Persie, who am I missing? He ranks worse than all of them by a considerable distance.

He scores goals, sometimes, against weaker opposition, puts in the odd great cross, but is otherwise completely fecking hopeless. Doesn’t even have a vaguely respectable work rate. Shocking technique, no close control, can’t even hold it up. I could not be happier we got our money back. One of the worst signings we’ve ever made. And to top it all off, he’s not even a likeable guy.

edit: He probably beats Falcao in terms of Utd performances. But at least Radamel tried. Alan Smith made a bigger impact imo.

Letho

The problem with Lukaku is that you need to set him up to succeed like in the Belgian NT. IF you do that, he can be a great asset, if you don't it,you might as well play with 10.

Red_toad

He’s the worst starting or rotational no.9 or 10 we’ve had in the last 25 years, by far. And he cost a packet. Hughes, Cole, Yorke, Cantona, Sheringham, Solskjær, Forlan, Van Nistelrooy, Saha, Rashford, Martial, Ibrahimovich, Rooney, Tévez, Berbatov, Hernández, Larsson, Van Persie, who am I missing? He ranks worse than all of them by a considerable distance.

He scores goals, sometimes, against weaker opposition, puts in the odd great cross, but is otherwise completely fecking hopeless. Doesn’t even have a vaguely respectable work rate. Shocking technique, no close control, can’t even hold it up. I could not be happier we got our money back. One of the worst signings we’ve ever made. And to top it all off, he’s not even a likeable guy.

edit: He probably beats Falcao in terms of Utd performances. But at least Radamel tried. Alan Smith made a bigger impact imo.
42 goals in 96 games and you try to make out his was 'completely fecking hopeless'. Nice perspective you have there...

He was pretty decent in his first season, I've no idea what happened in his second season and I won't find any answers to it on the Caf, as it's a pretty delusional place.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool

Took the WUM over the edge here.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'

Completely agree, no idea why he appears to have a cult following on here!

Idxomer

The problem with Lukaku is that you need to set him up to succeed like in the Belgian NT. IF you do that, he can be a great asset, if you don't it,you might as well play with 10.
The thing is you need to be completely rubbish striker to have a chance at failing when you've got Hazard and De Bruyne playing behind you. And for all his deficiencies, Lukaku is a pretty good striker.

Look for reference Batshuayi numbers with Belgium in the last 2 years.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
I get your point but we don't need a flat track bully, it's a negative description, we need a consistent striker with an attitude that drives his teammates forward.
This! Kane, RVN, Van Persie,Cantona etc.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
The thing is you need to be completely rubbish striker to have a chance at failing when you've got Hazard and De Bruyne playing behind you. And for all his deficiencies, Lukaku is a pretty good striker.

Look for reference Batshuayi numbers with Belgium in the last 2 years.
He was bloody overrated. Yet another;he's foreign and looks good in the youth ranks etc, so he must be the next Drogba or the like.

Bree Embolo looks a better prospect now he's moved to Monchengladbach

Revaulx

42 goals in 96 games and you try to make out his was 'completely fecking hopeless'. Nice perspective you have there...

He was pretty decent in his first season
All of this is spot on. He had plenty of critics back then, but the majority opinion was that overall he’d done ok, even during his dry spell he was still contributing, and with a more creative midfield behind him he’d do better.
I've no idea what happened in his second season
Really? He turned into a tub of lard, resulting in his fitness level declining massively and his ball control, which had always been inconsistent, going completely to pot.
and I won't find any answers to it on the Caf, as it's a pretty delusional place.
What I’d like an answer to (and I’m surprised the majority of the Caf doesn’t seem bothered about) is why the club apparently took no action to reverse his weight gain. This is significant whether you’re a fan of his or not, as he’s merely the latest in a long line of United players who’ve struggled with weight gain or excessive bulking-up. Anderson, Rooney, Shaw, Memphis, Schweinsteiger, Lukaku. Surely there’s a bigger issue here?

hubbuh

Well put. He embodies our post-Fergie malaise in terms of fulfilling necessary due diligence into the mentality of the marquee players we bring in.

Took the WUM over the edge here.
What is contestable there?! He was one of those players that you knew was holding the team back and was stifling any chance of progress and development.

crossy1686

career ending
Despite Lukaku posting pictures of Shaw being the most unfit player in the squad during pre-season? Shaw is entitled to give him some shit back, he's waited this long for an opportunity.

Haddock

Well said. Falcao had the excuse of having a knee blow out and he was on loan anyway. Lukaku talked a good game, he seems like an okay lad but isn't a top player. His technique is nowhere near the level required, he's one footed and can't hold it up. He needs about five chances to score which he will get in most games but at the very top you get one, maybe two chances a game. Does anyone seriously believe he would have scored the goal Chicharito scored on Boxing day against Newcastle in 2012 or Owen's in the 4-3 game? Even in the PSG game, his finest moment, he nearly fell over after rounding Buffon. On Tuesday he did the same thing but messed up. Good player but not the right one for a team chasing the biggest prizes.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
What is contestable there?! He was one of those players that you knew was holding the team back and was stifling any chance of progress and development.
Not gonna bite. Alan Smith > Lukaku. Ffs. :lol:

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Despite Lukaku posting pictures of Shaw being the most unfit player in the squad during pre-season? Shaw is entitled to give him some shit back, he's waited this long for an opportunity.
Well the downside of this, is that when He inevitably gets fat / unfit again, Lukaku can do another 'revenge' and then it will go on and on. Just two manchild having a bantz.

flappyjay

Well the downside of this, is that when He inevitably gets fat / unfit again, Lukaku can do another 'revenge' and then it will go on and on. Just two manchild having a bantz.
Difference being Shaw was recovering from a hamstring strain when the recordings were made. Also both of them have no place making fun of anyone's fitness they are both appalling in that regard

Red_toad

Really? He turned into a tub of lard, resulting in his fitness level declining massively and his ball control, which had always been inconsistent, going completely to pot.
Yes but something must have caused his weight gain and loss of motivation. Is easy just to blame it all on him, but he’s never been like that before and isn’t like that now. There must have been some circumstances we’re not away of and the usual fan thing is to blame the player, without actually having a clue what it’s like being a top level professional sports person.

Suedesi

What I’d like an answer to (and I’m surprised the majority of the Caf doesn’t seem bothered about) is why the club apparently took no action to reverse his weight gain. This is significant whether you’re a fan of his or not, as he’s merely the latest in a long line of United players who’ve struggled with weight gain or excessive bulking-up. Anderson, Rooney, Shaw, Memphis, Schweinsteiger, Lukaku. Surely there’s a bigger issue here?
Yeah we do mate, United is behind the times on sports science and nutrition. The list of injuries and overweight players is there for anyone to see.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Yes but something must have caused his weight gain and loss of motivation. Is easy just to blame it all on him, but he’s never been like that before and isn’t like that now. There must have been some circumstances we’re not away of and the usual fan thing is to blame the player, without actually having a clue what it’s like being a top level professional sports person.
Could easily just care less, or have a slower metabolism than when he was a kid. They're just people. And there's quite a lot of them. They're not all going to be as dedicated as each other. The road to a footballer is full of slim chances, but it's not as grueling as a lot make out. The pedestal they get put on as athletes isn't always deserved in my opinion. It's not like they're Olympians pushing themselves to the limit to be a split second faster.

Machine Elements

Not gonna bite. Alan Smith > Lukaku. Ffs. :lol:
Who do you think Klopp would prefer out of Smith & Lukaku? He already shipped out a player like the latter in Benteke without even giving a fair chance. I also prefer Smudge to this flat track bully . At least he doesn’t sulk, point fingers stupidly at every opportunity and look to his teammates in disbelief as if the chance he wasted is the fault of others.

MalcolmTucker

It's only people from clubs that he hasn't played for that rate him. Once you watch him week in, week out you realise how much he stifles attacks, messes up and how profligate he is in front of goal.

We've already seen Inter fans annoyed at him and they are doing well at the moment - give him two years and they'll be wanting to replace him with someone whose second touch isn't a tackle.

fps

You must be great at parties.
I am, plus I’m respectful to former colleagues. Shaw is showing a small time attitude and he needs to get fit and play well or it won’t be Europa League he’s in, it’ll be the championship.

Gasolin

Yeah exactly, that type of striker, they don't quite make it at the top.
Anelka could have been the top of the top if he did not follow strange advises from the family or whoever in charge of his career... he did have talent, as much as Henry in my opinion. The mental strength was not there though.

Also, completely off topic but I always loved that story:
https://www.joe.co.uk/sport/classic...ne-wenger-was-once-a-managerial-genius-174023

"Nicolas Anelka, Marc Overmars and Dennis Bergkamp, were key members of Wenger's first great Arsenal team, but Anelka had an issue with Overmars.
Anelka felt that the Dutch winger was ignoring him and choosing to pass to Bergkamp instead and complained about it in public.

"'I'm not getting enough of the ball,' he muttered to the French press. 'I'm going to see the manager soon because Overmars is too selfish'."

However, Wenger found a way to resolve the dispute between the pair and ensure team harmony was maintained when he called both men into his office for talks.

"The complication, however, was that Anelka barely spoke English and Overmars didn’t understand French, so Wenger was not only moderator but also interpreter, and played the situation beautifully," Cox writes.

"He asked the two players to spell out their issues; Anelka repeated his complaint to Wenger in their native tongue, while in English, Overmars claimed he always looked out for Anelka’s runs and didn’t understand his problem.

"Rather than translating their comments accurately, Wenger simply told Overmars that Anelka had said he no longer had a problem, then told Anelka that Overmars was promising to pass more. Both were lies, but it temporarily resolved the situation.""

Gasolin

Well said. Falcao had the excuse of having a knee blow out and he was on loan anyway. Lukaku talked a good game, he seems like an okay lad but isn't a top player. His technique is nowhere near the level required, he's one footed and can't hold it up. He needs about five chances to score which he will get in most games but at the very top you get one, maybe two chances a game. Does anyone seriously believe he would have scored the goal Chicharito scored on Boxing day against Newcastle in 2012 or Owen's in the 4-3 game? Even in the PSG game, his finest moment, he nearly fell over after rounding Buffon. On Tuesday he did the same thing but messed up. Good player but not the right one for a team chasing the biggest prizes.
He is not one footed, he can score from the right foot too. It's just that the technique somehow is so not there... I thought that could be improved but it seems it's just not possible. All our forwards have better first touch than Lukaku right now, including Rashford and James, who initially were deemed a bit loose with the first touch. Rashford made tremendous progress there, James same, and Martial has always been very good with that first touch. The result? We lose less the ball even when playing fast and that forces the opposition to be focused instead of being relaxed.

Haddock

He is not one footed, he can score from the right foot too. It's just that the technique somehow is so not there... I thought that could be improved but it seems it's just not possible. All our forwards have better first touch than Lukaku right now, including Rashford and James, who initially were deemed a bit loose with the first touch. Rashford made tremendous progress there, James same, and Martial has always been very good with that first touch. The result? We lose less the ball even when playing fast and that forces the opposition to be focused instead of being relaxed.
One footed doesn't mean he can never score but as you said he's not got the technique.
I wonder if Lukaku ever sought Mata out for pointers on technique. You can get away with being one footed as RvP did for the longest time if your technique is impeccable but if it isn't then you need to have some level of competence with the weaker foot.

Just take a look at Nani's touch at 0:36
Berba's at 3:50
Take a look at this touch and control on the run and the weak foot finish from Saha

No one can watch this stuff and say Lukaku rivals the best we have had in the past.

Martial is class. He's a natural. The only problem is his fitness and commitment as his talent has never been in doubt after the day he sent Skrtel back to Slovakia.