Romelu Lukaku | United confirm deal subject to medical and personal terms

How do you feel about the imminent signing of Romelu Lukaku?

• Muppetastic!

Votes: 456 20.6%
  • Happy enough

Votes: 1,222 55.2%
  • Ambivalent

Votes: 370 16.7%
  • Disappointed

Votes: 112 5.1%
  • Oh please god no!

Votes: 54 2.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

FC Ronaldo

Posts stuff that's been said before in tweet form
So it begins...

izec

It is the sun. Otherwise I dont know what to think, would probably take him, we wont get a top class striker anyway.

C'est Moi Cantona

Everton wouldn't sell him, seriously we might as well forget about buying decent players from lower ranking prem clubs for a while, most have plenty of cash & just don't need to sell.

ottosec

It is the sun. Otherwise I dont know what to think, would probably take him, we wont get a top class striker anyway.
He's 22, he is clearly going to be a top striker in the future(if he isn't already).

thegregster

Harbinger of new information
The more I see of him at Everton the more I like him. Very mobile for a guy of his build and a good finisher.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Hugely impressive this season. And his goalscoring record is pretty amazing for someone so young. I've always had worries regarding whether his game is technically sound enough but this season he'd setting that right. The question for us is whether a centre forward is important enough for us to spend huge money on because that's what he will cost. 40-45 million I reckon. And it would make sense only if we make are able to make a two striker system of him and martial work. I'm that sense it could be a big risk. The last thing you want is signing a 45 million pound striker and then causing both him and your other 35 million pound striker discomfort with neither entirely fitting in as they should.

I'd say wingers and creators should be a bigger priority but if we can sort that out without destroying ourselves financial then it could work.

Last edited:

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
Everton wouldn't sell him, seriously we might as well forget about buying decent players from lower ranking prem clubs for a while, most have plenty of cash & just don't need to sell.
Hasn't he already made statements that he'd like to use Everton as a stepping stone club? I wouldn't be surprised if he'd force a move if we showed interest.

Woodzy

The guy has had two £30m (might be wrong?) transfers already. I shudder to think of the sort of fee we would have to pay.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Hasn't he already made statements that he'd like to use Everton as a stepping stone club? I wouldn't be surprised if he'd force a move if we showed interest.
From what we've seen, trying to force a move doesn't even work anymore.

ryan_forlan

Gullible
I really like him. Really liked her at whatever little I saw of him when he was a Chelsea player(Everton and WBA).
My only question, does he have Pace and Weight issues? He is a big player but he looks heavy, am not sure, is he too heavy to be a proper modern day striker?
Let me clarify, I am not sure, am asking someone who watches every/most minutes of his game. Does he lack in pace and is he growing fat(for a footballer)?

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
It's an odd one, we wouldn't want to sell him and the 5 year contract he signed means he will still have 3 years left after this so we don't have to worry about that but his agent is Raiola who is well known for being difficult. I can see him being flaunted around Europe during this summer and if someone makes a bid of 40m+ i think that it would be more thought about than the straight forward no that was given with Stones.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
I really like him. Really liked her at whatever little I saw of him when he was a Chelsea player(Everton and WBA).
My only question, does he have Pace and Weight issues? He is a big player but he looks heavy, am not sure, is he too heavy to be a proper modern day striker?
Let me clarify, I am not sure, am asking someone who watches every/most minutes of his game. Does he lack in pace and is he growing fat(for a footballer)?
Nah, he's quick. The only thing that might be a worry is that because of his build and game he'd probably decline earlier - similar to Rooney.

amolbhatia50k

It's an odd one, we wouldn't want to sell him and the 5 year contract he signed means he will still have 3 years left after this so we don't have to worry about that but his agent is Raiola who is well known for being difficult. I can see him being flaunted around Europe during this summer and if someone makes a bid of 40m+ i think that it would be more thought about than the straight forward no that was given with Stones.
I think so too. And I think it would be a fair deal as well in today's climate. He's not exactly going to cost 60 million as that's usually for players who have year in year out been top drawer. But he has got a very impressive scoring rate and lots of years to offer.

C'est Moi Cantona

Stones tried this and it didn't end well, Everton would be one of the worst clubs outside of the usual top 6 clubs to deal with I would have thought.

I want Lukaku but just can see it.

amolbhatia50k

He's very mobile. His issue seemed to be his mentality and technical game, both of which he's improved this season.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Chelsea must be kicking themselves over this. They had a great opportunity to nurture this lad and bring him on but chose to get rid and now he's red hot.

It might be worth a bid and I think it's far more realistic to pay a big(-ish) fee for him than go for the superstars like Bale, Neymar etc.Let's be honest.What are his chances of winning something really big at Everton?

Walters_19_MuFc

He's progressed so much this year. His overall play has been top notch. At 22, if he can continue playing like he has been, he'll easily be one of the best strikers in the world in a couple of years. He's been phenomenal at Everton, and someone who would fit our system superbly, in my opinion. Having said that, I can't see it happening.

C'est Moi Cantona

Yes you make a good point about his agent, anything around the £40 million mark would be a good buy for united imo.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Lukaku or Kane?

Would probably cost similar amounts, are same age etc.
Kanes technically the better player, he's more suited to playing as a modern lone striker whereby he'll be expected to create as well as score.

amolbhatia50k

Could a front two of Martial and Lukaku in today's game? On paper it sound like something that could be unstoppable. But it would state a tactically impressive manager I reckon with over crowded midfielder you face these days.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
Stones tried this and it didn't end well, Everton would be one of the worst clubs outside of the usual top 6 clubs to deal with I would have thought.

I want Lukaku but just can see it.
I'd be surprised if they can hang onto Stones this summer. I'd think they'll get offers from us, City and Chelsea and may be even from abroad.

Inigo Montoya

Kanes technically the better player, he's more suited to playing as a modern lone striker whereby he'll be expected to create as well as score.
Pochetinno's doing really well there, and He or Spurs aren't going to let Kane go to an English club.

Maybe we should go for Spurs' manager instead:smirk:

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Could a front two of Martial and Lukaku in today's game? On paper it sound like something that could be unstoppable. But it would state a tactically impressive manager I reckon with over crowded midfielder you face these days.
I think the way you should go with Martial is play a 4-3-3 and use him as a wide forward ala Neymar, then buy someone like Kane or Lukaku to lead the line.

amolbhatia50k

We're not really going to play a real lone striker system if we buy either of them given we have Martial and he's always going to be a forward and is too talented to shaft for either of them. It's going to be a two striker attack if we were to buy one. Kane is the more creative but lukaku is easily the more explosive.

Walters_19_MuFc

I'm a big fan of Kane, but going off this year, Lukaku currently has 4 assists, whereas Kane has 0. Lukaku, on overage, also creates more chances a game (1.2), than Kane (1.1). Both have played 15 games this season in the EPL.

C'est Moi Cantona

I'd be surprised if they can hang onto Stones this summer. I'd think they'll get offers from us, City and Chelsea and may be even from abroad.
Maybe, but to lose Stones & Lukaku in one window would be a huge blow.

Reckon the players are worth more to them than £80 million (or so).

Inigo Montoya

I'm a big fan of Kane, but going off this year, Lukaku currently has 4 assists, whereas Kane has 0. Lukaku, on overage, also creates more chances a game (1.2), than Kane (1.1). Both have played 15 games this season in the EPL.
Wow! That's just blown Kane away hasn't it?

amolbhatia50k

I think the way you should go with Martial is play a 4-3-3 and use him as a wide forward ala Neymar, then buy someone like Kane or Lukaku to lead the line.
The issue I have with that is how good Martial's hold up play is. It's on another level entirely to someone like Neymar or Robben, which is to me a trait of a centre forward. I like the idea of martial out wide get game time and to change things up but I see his future there. Obviously he'd get of games there even if we sign one of them given Rooney would go, and we have enough games to rotate.

But you're it might be the correct thing to do given he's only just tuned 20.

cyberman

It would mean Martial starts from the left imo and it would seem that's the long term plan for him if we sign a 22 yo big money striker to play in his preferred position.
Why cant we just sign a wide right player? It would solve so many of our problems :(

Walters_19_MuFc

Wow! That's just blown Kane away hasn't it?
The daily sarcasm from the Caf - shock!

Whether he's blown Kane away or not, it clearly shows that Lukaku has been just as, if not, more creative than Kane this season so far. Love the way you dodged his 4 assists. Should have probably highlighted it.

Status
Not open for further replies.