Romelu Lukaku | United confirm deal subject to medical and personal terms

How do you feel about the imminent signing of Romelu Lukaku?

• Muppetastic!

Votes: 456 20.6%
  • Happy enough

Votes: 1,222 55.2%
  • Ambivalent

Votes: 370 16.7%
  • Disappointed

Votes: 112 5.1%
  • Oh please god no!

Votes: 54 2.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

TsuWave

Maybe because it's a French club, based in Paris, have the money and are always looking to sign top French talent which Martial most certainly is.

If we get another LW than Martial will be even further down the pecking order for both LW and CF spot, 3RD choice for both and I'm not sure he'd want to stick around knowing he won't get to play much.

You're way too hostile about this. If we get another LW I can see that happening and I've explained it to you why I think so.
martial can play all across the front though, yes he's down the pecking order currently and i'm sure he was aware of that when he said he's not leaving. i'm not being hostile, i'm just surprised at how random it is. "french club > paris > money = bad feeling we'll sell martial to psg". fair enough mate.

Fracture90

Guys you gotta look at this objectively.

Market prices are way overblown and we were in the need of a quality striker, and that striker market is very limited atm.

Harry Kane - great young striker, clinical, technical, big and gets teammates involved, but Tottenham would never sell him to us and even if they would, it would be the price of their new stadium. 0
Personally be my first choice.

Alvaro Morata - young, tall, technical and very talented but never led the line all by himself and he's been an impact sub throughout his career. Too much of a gamble for that money.

Andra Belotti - broke out last season, pacey, clinical with both feet and great arealy but also too big of a risk for that amount of money. Torino already refused 70 million from AC Milan.

Lacazette - quick, clinical, get's teammates involved and consistent in French league, but don't think we were in for him anyway and for all his good performances for the last couple of years he isn't getting called for French NT. Arsenal got him anyway.

Aubameyang - tall, super quick, not so clinical. Has his eyes set on Madrid and Madrid only apparently.

Mbappe - 18 years of age, super quick, clinical, talented and great technique. Price would be too high, wants starter spot guaranteed and has his eyes set on Madrid. Too big of a risk for a player that's been here for a single year.

Lukaku - tall, strong, clinical but not technically sound as the rest from this list but he's very consistent, been on the stage for a while and EPL proven. He was the safest pick for the money of all mentioned and that was one of the deciding factors.

Fracture90

martial can play all across the front though, yes he's down the pecking order currently and i'm sure he was aware of that when he said he's not leaving. i'm not being hostile, i'm just surprised at how random it is. "french club > paris > money = bad feeling we'll sell martial to psg". fair enough mate.
It's random only because you want to believe it's random.

He can't play on the RW for instance, he was tried and failed there constantly.

PSG French club looking for a striker, have cash and can offer him first time football, not to mention he'll be closer to his kid. But hey you say it's random.

Have a nice day.

Z_Wolf

He isn't shit though. You can have doubts but calling him shit isn't exactly the best way to convince people that you have a point.
I wasn't talking specifically about Lukaku.

I'm not in denial here. Lukaku will score goals but other parts of our attack and fluidity of the team will suffer. One player alone can't win you titles; those days are long gone.

Edit: @Acquire Me reached my daily limit of posts so I'll reply here.

We didn't lack goals from our no. 9, other players just didn't score enough. Lukaku will make it even harder for them to score goals imo.

Last edited:

spiriticon

Seriously which planet have you been on? The past 2 seasons, Rooney days as a footballer is over. Did you watch Carrick's testimonial game just a few weeks back. Playing against retired players at that. Playing in midfield should have saved his career because his body can't work anymore to play anywhere else but of course Mourinho put a stop to that early on last summer. It's not about the transfer fee. It's his wages which most clubs can't afford to pay him. Wake up and open your eyes.
Well clearly not because Everton want him back and are willing to pay his wages. All I'm saying is we could do better with negotiating the fee. It's this 'yeah you can have our players for free but we'll pay you £75 million for yours' that I disagree with. Sure, £25 million may be a high but you start high and negotiate downwards when selling. You don't ask, you don't get. And that's what Everton and Real Madrid have done, ask. £75 million is a ripoff for Morata and Lukaku but hey, there'll always be one mug club who pays it.

Not just Rooney but look at some of our terrible sales over the last few seasons:

Nani - £5 million
RvP - £5 million
Chicharito - £7 million
Michael Keane - £2 million
Memphis - £13 million
Schneiderlin - £19 million
Zaha - £ 3 million

Those are 1996 transfer fees.

Nick7

Can't wait till that breaks in the English media and they say he spent the night in jail or some nonsense!

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
It's random only because you want to believe it's random.

He can't play on the RW for instance, he was tried and failed there constantly.

PSG French club looking for a striker, have cash and can offer him first time football, not to mention he'll be closer to his kid. But hey you say it's random.

Have a nice day.
If Emery uses his 4231, they have no room for him. Mbappé could play on the right but Martial can't.

el3mel

What happened yesterday makes the deal even more amazing.

Chelsea bidding to save their faces and throwing blames on Raiola for the deal not get completed, with the media showing us as the biggest villains ever who - how sad - forced Lukaku to join us through Raiola while he - how fun - wanted Chelsea from his heart but the devil named Raiola forced us to her haha.

We made Chelsea looks really embarrassing and disturbed their market.

AndyJ1985

Well clearly not because Everton want him back and are willing to pay his wages. All I'm saying is we could do better with negotiating the fee. It's this 'yeah you can have our players for free but we'll pay you £75 million for yours' that I disagree with. Sure, £25 million may be a high but you start high and negotiate downwards when selling. You don't ask, you don't get. And that's what Everton and Real Madrid have done, ask. £75 million is a ripoff for Morata and Lukaku but hey, there'll always be one mug club who pays it.

Not just Rooney but look at some of our terrible sales over the last few seasons:

Nani - £5 million
RvP - £5 million
Chicharito - £7 million
Memphis - £13 million
Zaha - £ 3 million

We struggle to sell average players because we pay them far too much. The calibre of clubs that are interested can't afford to match those wages so we have to reduce the transfer fee.

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
Seeing as Lukaku is costing £90m, I can only wonder at Kane's valuation.

Skywarden

Andy Cole had zero overall game when he came here... He was just finishing, and he improved his overall ability no end.

RVN was a pure finisher, didn't did him any harm.

Yes ideally you want an all singing all dancing forward, but it's not essential and as Lukaku is still young, he can definitely improve.
That Chicharito lad was no good either. No good player to have outside the box, can't believe we stuck with him so long. /s

Sometimes people completely disregard relevancy just to fit their narratives. In this case we've replaced a great striker with another great striker - one who is young, experienced, hungry and who's about to take the spotlight at one of the top clubs in the world with Champions League comback and all that jazz. Can't be anything but satisfied with that.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
If it's £75m then I actually think it's a fair price given his profile as a player. Even when Chelsea were being linked with him I thought buying him for £70m was a no-brainer if you thought he fit your team's style.

Opposition fan will always harp on about big fees. Especially when they've just lost out on the same player.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days

Nani - £5 million
RvP - £5 million
Chicharito - £7 million
Memphis - £13 million
Zaha - £ 3 million

Everton have effectively cleared a potential £30m off our wage bill which is why we were happy to make the deal happen for free.

Sometimes the finances of a deal aren't totally obvious.

Fracture90

Allegedly Mourinho refused to add that "buy-back" clause in Lukaku's contract when he sold him to Everton.

SuperiorXI

If it's £75m then I actually think it's a fair price given his profile as a player. Even when Chelsea were being linked with him I thought buying him for £70m was a no-brainer if you thought he fit your team's style.

Opposition fan will always harp on about big fees. Especially when they've just lost out on the same player.
And it looks like we're getting rid of Rooney as part of the deal which effectively turns it in to a profit for us.

Acquire Me

I wasn't talking specifically about Lukaku.

I'm not in denial here. Lukaku will score goals but other parts of our attack and fluidity of the team will suffer. One player alone can't win you titles; those days are long gone.
One player can win you titles if he is the missing part in the team. It's no doubt that we need goals and Lukaku knows how to score lots of goals.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?

Nani - £5 million
RvP - £5 million
Chicharito - £7 million
Memphis - £13 million
Zaha - £ 3 million

We want to sell, Everton don't. Rooney at this time is a massive expense and letting him go will save us about £30mil in wage payments.
Everton aren't daft, they know this.

SSSSnake

That part is far from guaranteed, last season Lukaku scored in 17 games, if he does the same this season we could end up in the exact same situation. Lukaku will have to improve in order to reach our requirements.
But the difference is he has much better players around him. Mika, Pogba or Mata feeding him. He'll score easily another 25 goals if not more.

el3mel

Allegedly Mourinho refused to add that "buy-back" clause in Lukaku's contract when he sold him to Everton.
Seems Jose was planning to go to United since a long time. :lol:

Sold Mata to us to use him here then sell Lukaku to Everton to buy him when he joins us.

I think ibra's lack of pace and the impact Lukaku's extra pace will have is overstated. As you said, in most games, we'll be playing vs teams camped in their box and then it becomes more about a good touch, technique, link up play, movement etc rather than outright pace.
Maybe the impact of Lukakus pace is overstated but I don't think the lack of Zlatans is. Even the worst teams come out of their box for some portion of the game, especially as with Mourinho we're happy to sit back. With Zlatan any time we recover the ball we always, always give the opposition time to recover their shape before we get a shot off.

Status
Not open for further replies.