Romelu Lukaku | United confirm deal subject to medical and personal terms

How do you feel about the imminent signing of Romelu Lukaku?

• Muppetastic!

Votes: 456 20.6%
  • Happy enough

Votes: 1,222 55.2%
  • Ambivalent

Votes: 370 16.7%
  • Disappointed

Votes: 112 5.1%
  • Oh please god no!

Votes: 54 2.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bojan11

This has to be the slowest ever official announcement, what are they waiting for? Maybe still sorting finer details of image rights, etc?

Or a mass unveiling with Neymar, Bale and Fabinho as well...
Guessing they wanted the focus on Rooney today.

Smoking_Owl

Account closed by request: 23/11/17
Agree with others who think he should be number 9. He's a classical number 9 player and should be taking that number when available.

Van Nistelrooy wore 10 too I suppose but I'm sure he'd have taken 9 if it was available.

Smoking_Owl

Account closed by request: 23/11/17
Actually now that I think about it maybe Martial is taking number 9 back.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Hopefully, he was rumoured to be upset about losing the number 9 shirt without being talked to about it first around the time Ibrahimovic signed.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
Lukaku will be taking Ibra's No.9. I honestly can't see this not being the case.
Martial will be given whatever number is left over, but most likely, he will keep the same number he had last year, UNLESS he is superstitious and wants to change numbers, because of the dreadful season he had last season.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
I wonder if Rashford will get the number 9 if Lukaku opts for 10 and Martial stays with 11.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
Would have preferred the 9 for him, suits his game more. Sorry to harp on about the same point, but he really doesn't have any silk to his game so the 10 isn't a natural fit.
The 10 isn't a prestigious number in England so that point is irrelevant.

I agree in principle. But here, it matters little.

Tiber

Might just be because of growing up watching Sheringham, RVN and Rooney (all my favourite player at one point) but I have always prefered seeing a striker wear 10 rather than 9

M4YON

Looks like it will be announced soon hopefully tonight. Looks like he's getting the Numver 10 so who's getting Number 9?

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
The fascination with numbers has always baffled me. I kinda get the 7 thing, cos every club has to have some element of romantic nonsense, but everything else is nigh irrelevant.

Kostur

海尔的老板

• rlukaku9I want to say a big thank you to all the people involved at @everton. I want to thank the fans for your support throughout the 4 years we've spend together. You guys helped me through all my games and I can proudly say it was an honour to play in front of you. To the staff at the the stadium and trainingground thank you for making me feel home from the first day i walked in. To my teammates it was great to play with you guys. To technical staff thank you for helping me become a better player. Working with you guys has been a pleasure and i'll take ur advice throughout the rest of my career. Thank you everton football club
Said his goodbye on his instagram.

Tiber

Said his goodbye on his instagram.
He was there for 4 years? Seasons really do pass quickly. Doesnt seem that long ago he was at West Brom

Very classy post, but that song is dreadful lol

Brightonian

The fascination with numbers has always baffled me. I kinda get the 7 thing, cos every club has to have some element of romantic nonsense, but everything else is nigh irrelevant.
I agree, but in this instance it is interesting because what number Lukaku gets might hint at Mourinho's plans for Martial and Rashford.

Canagel

If he does take the number 10 then it's clear that Zlatan is keeping his 9 for when he returns from injury.

Tiber

I never understand why people get upset about vaguely odd or higher numbers. If I was a player id love the 99 shirt, it would irk so many people

JB08

Searches for nude pics of Marcos Rojo
I'm impatient, surely it will be announced tomorrow?

Mockney

I agree, but in this instance it is interesting because what number Lukaku gets might hint at Mourinho's plans for Martial and Rashford.
Well he'll clearly get 10, 'cos it's free, and he wore it at Everton, which hints at nothing at all, surely?

Mockney

I never understand why people get upset about vaguely odd or higher numbers. If I was a player id love the 99 shirt, it would irk so many people
It's odd how it only relates to basically 7-11. No one gave a toss that Carrick got Keanes number or Young got Scholes', yet 9 and 10 somehow become talking points despite us not having an iconic 9 since Cole (and even then debatably) or a pre-Rooney 10 since maybe Hughes? And of either number, Law is the only actual old school legend associated with one.

People are clearly just ascribing importance to things due to general football hipster mythos rather than anything remotely related to the club.

Last edited:

AdNani

It's odd how it only relates to basically 7-11. No one gave a toss that Carrick got Keanes number or Young got Scholes', yet 9 and 10 somehow become talking points despite us not having an iconic 9 since Cole (and even then debatably) or a pre-Rooney 10 since maybe Hughes? And of either number, Law is the only actual old school legend associated with one.

People are clearly just ascribing importance to things due to general football hipster mythos rather than anything remotely related to the club.
Ruud Van Nistelrooy

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
Oh for feck sake. Just give us a pic of him holding a United shirt. Why are these cringey announcements a thing now? Chelsea's for Rudiger was absolutely dire

AdNani

Oh for feck sake. Just give us a pic of him holding a United shirt. Why are these cringey announcements a thing now? Chelsea's for Rudiger was absolutely dire
That was dire, but I loved Pogbas

Mockney

Ruud Van Nistelrooy
Good shout in fairness. He was a great striker, but I still don't remember him as "a famous United No.10" I just remember him as Ruud. When Rooney was given it, i don't recall anyone making a big deal about him getting "Ruud's number" for example, because it wasn't really a thing.

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
Good shout in fairness. He was a great striker, but I still don't remember him as "a famous United No.10" I just remember him as Ruud. When Rooney was given it, i don't recall anyone making a big deal about him getting "Ruud's number" for example, because it wasn't really a thing.
Cause numbers aren't really that big of a thing to make a deal about? Except maybe #7.

Martial

Yep.

1. Mata (36)
  2. Martial (25)
  3. Carrick (24)
  4. Valencia (22)
  5. Rashford (19)
  6. Fellaini (15)
  7. Herrera (15)
  8. Young (14)
  9. Smalling (13)
  10. Lingard (11)
  11. Mkhitaryan (11)
  12. Pogba (9)
  13. Blind (5)
  14. Januzaj (5)
  15. Jones (5)
  16. Wilson (4)
  17. Rojo (2)
  18. Darmian (1)
  19. A Pereira (1)
Changed it to top current goalscorers per season with us so far:
  1. Rashford (13)
  2. Martial (13)
  3. Mkhitaryan (11)
  4. Mata (10)
  5. Pogba (9)
  6. Lingard (6)
  7. Herrera (5)
  8. Fellaini (4)
  9. Valencia (3)
  10. Young (2)
  11. Carrick (2)
  12. Januzaj (2)
  13. Wilson (2)
  14. Smalling (2)
  15. Blind (2)
  16. Jones (1)
  17. Rojo (1)
  18. A Pereira (1)
  19. Darmian (1)
Although last year, Ibra was (28) and Lukaku (26).

AdNani

Fair i suppose, I don't associate him with 10 either, was just pointing out he'd worn it, don't particularly associate Hughes with it either tbh.

Status
Not open for further replies.