Romelu Lukaku | United confirm deal subject to medical and personal terms

How do you feel about the imminent signing of Romelu Lukaku?

• Muppetastic!

Votes: 456 20.6%
  • Happy enough

Votes: 1,222 55.2%
  • Ambivalent

Votes: 370 16.7%
  • Disappointed

Votes: 112 5.1%
  • Oh please god no!

Votes: 54 2.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Orc

Pretended to be a United fan for two years
Supports
Chelsea
And look at how much flack he has took all season.
Still, I'd take the flat track bully who will get me 20+ goals than one who doesn't put up much in the stat department for £90m. Plus, at clubs like Chelsea, United, or any of the other clubs Lukaku is linked with there are other top class players unlike at Everton. If he didn't perform at his absolute best against the big teams for us we'd still have players like Hazard etc who may. At Everton, it's Lukaku or no one essentially.

salford_

I think you're doing Costa a disservice there, he is a better footballer then Lukaku and links up well with Hazard, Fabregas, Pedro and Willian. He does blow hot and cold though and managers struggle to keep him in check for long.
i think Costa is a top goalscorer, but a poor footballer. so many of his decisions are just stupid. I lose count the amount of times you see him in a game with an opportunity to lay a team mate on a plate.... and he will try stick in keepers near post and hit side netting, from a tight angle.

Obviously a striker scoring goals = job done... but occasionally you need your striker to think quick and also be a supplier... which i think Costa lacks in more often than not

WOuld not swap him for Lukaku, especially at Lukaku's price. But at 28/29 and for say 45m+... you'd have to sell him and replace him. If I was Conte I'd go for Lukaku and another but just Lukaku for Costa? No. Even though he would do well at CFC, but he isnt Costa level. The money theyre going to be spending this summer id go balls in for P.E.A off Dortmund

Bleacher: "Return to Chelsea is almost a done deal"

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads

Some Italian Sky Sports journalist says Lukaku to Chelsea is almost done.

‘I can say Lukaku’s Chelsea move is almost done deal and reports in England claim Alexis Sanchez will also play for Chelsea next season.'

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
I think you're doing Costa a disservice there, he is a better footballer then Lukaku and links up well with Hazard, Fabregas, Pedro and Willian. He does blow hot and cold though and managers struggle to keep him in check for long.
To some extent yes but his linkup play has been noticeably crap since having his head turned by China. Also, I'd argue Lukaku is a better passer-he manages more key passes in a poorer team. Costa also gives the ball away a lot more-6.1 times per game compared to 4.5 for Lukaku. Plus Lukaku would offer a true aerial threat, which Costa simply doesn't provide at all.

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.

‘I can say Lukaku’s Chelsea move is almost done deal and reports in England claim Alexis Sanchez will also play for Chelsea next season.'
If Sanchez and Lukaku end up at Chelsea next season while we're handing out 100k a week contracts to the likes of Lingard, and paying 90m for Pogba, I'd pull the plug on the Woodward era. Seriously.

And I like Woodward, but you can't have that.

poleglass red

let him go to Chelsea. Sure he'll get goals against the lesser teams, and hey nothing wrong with that. We could certainly do with someone who could score against the likes of West Brom and Burnley. But next season Chelsea will up against the top teams in Europe, is he the man to get the goals and performances against them, I myself don't think so, they could do better.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
let him go to Chelsea. Sure he'll get goals against the lesser teams, and hey nothing wrong with that. We could certainly do with someone who could score against the likes of West Brom and Burnley. But next season Chelsea will up against the top teams in Europe, is he the man to get the goals and performances against them, I myself don't think so, they could do better.
Not trying to have a go at you personally but I just don't understand where this narrative of Lukaku only scoring against poor teams is-in his career in the PL he's only scored 4 fewer goals against the top 4 than against teams that were relegated.

poleglass red

Not trying to have a go at you personally but I just don't understand where this narrative of Lukaku only scoring against poor teams is-in his career in the PL he's only scored 4 fewer goals against the top 4 than against teams that were relegated.
I wasn't just referencing relegated teams, sorry should have made that clear, I was essentially talking about teams in the top 4

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
I wasn't just referencing relegated teams, sorry should have made that clear, I was essentially talking about teams in the top 4
Ah I see, my mistake!

Personally I think his physicality may make him difficult for teams not used to it to handle, especially if they are inclined to push up and leave space in behind. But who knows; I suppose we'll just have to wait and see.

SouthPredators4

Not that he is a terrible player but a player like him would be a poor fit for us. He is fast, strong and physical and needs lots of space to exploit with his powerful runs. However, Everton does not faces teams who defend deep or park the bus. If he plays for us, his effectiveness would be hugely reduced given his lack of technique and guile. Isn't this obvious given our scoring problems?

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!

That probably isn't true but if it is we might as well give them the title for that season too.

BigDunc9

Supports
Everton
Has more goals against the top 6 than all of Zlatan, Kane, Sanchez and Costa. Not bad for flat track bully.

Bojan11

That probably isn't true but if it is we might as well give them the title for that season too.
Yeah let's not just turn up. Tell the other 18 clubs too.

If Chelsea sign Sanchez and Lukaku. Costa will be off and he's slightly better than Lukaku especially in hold up play. Don't think you can play Hazard and Sanchez in the same team. You got two players who wanna occupy the same positions. That could also be a problem defensively. Pedro gives them a good balance. Hazard could be off to Madrid.

But yeah let's just forget about next season. Sack Woodward and just don't play any games next season.

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
Yeah let's not just turn up. Tell the other 18 clubs too.

If Chelsea sign Sanchez and Lukaku. Costa will be off and he's slightly better than Lukaku especially in hold up play. Don't think you can play Hazard and Sanchez in the same team. You got two players who wanna occupy the same positions. That could also be a problem defensively. Pedro gives them a good balance. Hazard could be off to Madrid.

But yeah let's just forget about next season. Sack Woodward and just don't play any games next season.
If Chelsea sign lukaku and Sanchez then it's blatantly game over for every other team. Costa leaving would be irrelevant because lukaku is just as good and add Sanchez to the mix they've won the league before a balls been kicked. Only challengers would be us and city and that all depends on how we strengthen our teams because both of us need heavy investment. Chelsea already have the main core of players needed us and city don't.

Catt

Ole's at the wheel!
If Chelsea sign lukaku and Sanchez then it's blatantly game over for every other team. Costa leaving would be irrelevant because lukaku is just as good and add Sanchez to the mix they've won the league before a balls been kicked. Only challengers would be us and city and that all depends on how we strengthen our teams because both of us need heavy investment. Chelsea already have the main core of players needed us and city don't.
Pretty sure this has been said before about teams but it didn't turn out that way. It's ridiculous to say even before the new season kicks off.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Costa and Hazard are better than Lukaku and Sanchez - so I would certainly disagree with you. They would be right up there but it wouldn't be game over for the rest of the league.

prtk0811

If Sanchez and Lukaku end up at Chelsea next season while we're handing out 100k a week contracts to the likes of Lingard, and paying 90m for Pogba, I'd pull the plug on the Woodward era. Seriously.

And I like Woodward, but you can't have that.
Lukaku will cost around 80 m, and Griezmann is better allround. We can have a chance to sign Muller after Zlatan leaves as he is unhappy under Anchelotti and could force a move late on

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea

I wish daft tabloid stories were true occasionally. Just Sanchez would be enough..

fcbforever

Supports
FC Bayern München
Lukaku will cost around 80 m, and Griezmann is better allround. We can have a chance to sign Muller after Zlatan leaves as he is unhappy under Anchelotti and could force a move late on
Not that again :lol:
He just got back to form and was never unhappy. But yeah, just send another fax. It's the Woodward way after all.

prtk0811

Not that again :lol:
He just got back to form and was never unhappy. But yeah, just send another fax. It's the Woodward way after all.
Well i used the words CAN and COULD. Its Football, so there is always room for possibilities. He aint playing much and Bayern are preferring thiago as a cam rather than muller as second striker, Leading the line with a bigger salary could tempt muller because when the offer came in under lvg he gave it a thought once, so Who knows.

Powderfinger

Supports
Arsenal
If they lost Hazard and Costa and replaced them with Lukaku and Sanchez, I think they would stay about the same level.

In any case, I really, really doubt Sanchez goes to Chelsea. If Wenger stays he will be under a tremendous amount of pressure to make popular moves this summer. He has said over and over again that the days when we sold star players to rivals are over so to renew his contract (with like 80% of Arsenal fans against) and then immediately sell his best player to a London rival seems incredibly unlikely. And if Wenger goes and a new manager arrives, does he want his first move to be selling his best player to a rival? I doubt it. If Sanchez leaves this summer he will go to Juventus or PSG, IMO.

prtk0811

If they lost Hazard and Costa and replaced them with Lukaku and Sanchez, I think they would stay about the same level.

In any case, I really, really doubt Sanchez goes to Chelsea. If Wenger stays he will be under a tremendous amount of pressure to make popular moves this summer. He has said over and over again that the days when we sold star players to rivals are over so to renew his contract (with like 80% of Arsenal fans against) and then immediately sell his best player to a London rival seems incredibly unlikely. And if Wenger goes and a new manager arrives, does he want his first move to be selling his best player to a rival? I doubt it. If Sanchez leaves this summer he will go to Juventus or PSG, IMO.
How much is sanchez worth with the contract left?

AgentP

I think it will be Bayern who sign him. Both Robben and Ribery are old. So they'll be looking for someone like Sanchez. Vidal might also play a role in getting him there, not that it's necessary.

SSSSnake

Pogba and Lakaku hanging out? Anyone see that video? Queue the incoming "he's coming to United" talks.

Nate Dogg

Don't Make Me Angry
Pogba and Lakaku hanging out? Anyone see that video? Queue the incoming "he's coming to United" talks.
I was thinking the same earlier, if Mourinho wants him which i doubt however if we lose Zlatan and with departures of Rooney in the summer then i say we should go for him.

We can throw Rooney in the deal as a sweatner.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
I still don't see a player who's going to fire you to a league title win, he's playing without pressure at Everton, not sure he can step up to the level we're looking to be at

Wouldn't be fussed if he went to Chelsea

Nate Dogg

Don't Make Me Angry
If we can get him for a reasonable price then why not go for him, he is an accomplised striker who is strong, powerful, good in the air and will guarantee 20 goals a season.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
They've been mates for a while. Same agent I think. When Pogba was signing for us last summer and was chilling in America, Lukaku was with him.

I don't think we sign players because they're mates with our best players.

"Keeping players happy" like that is of zero concern to Mourinho.

Sammyjunn

In Smalling's pocket (as every other person)
Im not sure of the 20 goals guaranteed stands, playing for Everton and playing for United is so different. Maybe he cant play in a team that has 70% possession at all, play against packed teams and defences, playing with no space to run in which is totally different to how Everton plays, less dominant, more counter attacking, just kike his WBA. Not every striker can play in our set up I think. I think for example he'd do better at Chelsea/Liverpool than us, they play a faster brand of football.

Nate Dogg

Don't Make Me Angry
Im not sure of the 20 goals guaranteed stands, playing for Everton and playing for United is so different. Maybe he cant play in a team that has 70% possession at all, play against packed teams and defences, playing with no space to run in which is totally different to how Everton plays, less dominant, more counter attacking, just kike his WBA. Not every striker can play in our set up I think. I think for example he'd do better at Chelsea/Liverpool than us, they play a faster brand of football.
I personally think he will get 20 quite easily, firstly he has the physical attributes as mentioned in my previous post but also playing with Mickhi, Pogba and possibly Griezman will make him even better.

Sammyjunn

I personally think he will get 20 quite easily, firstly he has the physical attributes as mentioned in my previous post but also playing with Mickhi, Pogba and possibly Griezman will make him even better.
One of his big physical attributes is his running power and speed, but in our current set up, I just wonder, will that have so much use? A Zlatan or Lewandowski striker is the perfect striker for us atm, Lukaku has similar strength, height, build, but you need to be technically very excellent as a current United forward, huge range for goalscoring (Zlatan scores all kinds of goals, excellent link up play). Im not 100% certain if he could do that for us, and at the required level. I'd prefer Icardi myself, besides his strength, he has great understanding of the game and the aggression.

Nate Dogg

Don't Make Me Angry
One of his big physical attributes is his running power and speed, but in our current set up, I just wonder, will that have so much use? A Zlatan or Lewandowski striker is the perfect striker for us atm, Lukaku has similar strength, height, build, but you need to be technically very excellent as a current United forward, huge range for goalscoring (Zlatan scores all kinds of goals, excellent link up play). Im not 100% certain if he could do that for us, and at the required level. I'd prefer Icardi myself, besides his strength, he has great understanding of the game and the aggression.
Technically he is not the best but he isn't that bad either, i don't see why we can't adjust our game to play to his strength, he would certainly add running power and the ability to run down channels and allow our midfielders to exploit space.

Pogba and Lukaku could be a good combination.

prtk0811

We cant buy Griezmann and Lukaku in one window. Its wayne rooney we need to replace more than zlatan at the moment. Lukaku aint comming cheap at the moment there is still a 2 year contract.

Sammyjunn

Technically he is not the best but he isn't that bad either, i don't see why we can't adjust our game to play to his strength, he would certainly add running power and the ability to run down channels and allow our midfielders to exploit space.

Pogba and Lukaku could be a good combination.
If we want to adjust to his style, we would have to sacrifice a bit of the dominance/possession, be a bit more vulnerable in defence, midfielders should play quicker, but also riskier, and the wingers need to step up their game as well. Wouldnt mind that personally but who knows what Mourinho's philosophy is for this team. I thought we would play more counterattacking football under Mou, but we havent.

prtk0811

I thought we would play more counterattacking football under Mou, but we havent.
For Playing that way we need to lure the opposition , sit back and counter but we dont have a good enough defense with smalling and jones and sometimes rojo to sit back and not conceed and we dont have enough speed and off the ball attacking movement to counter. This team just can not do it. We will play counter attacking dynamics in a posession based philosophy with more risk in passing in a direct vertical passing next season with addition of a midfeilder, and better attacking players.

GM K

I like Lukaku. He's a beast.

But from what I have seen this season, what United needs more are players who can combine guile to break down defences with ruthlessness in finishing off chances. So, if I were to pick between a Lukaku, Costa set and a Sanchez, Griezmann set, I would go for the latter not because the former are not good enough but because United needs to break down defences better and score more.

Vault Dweller

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I like Lukaku. He's a beast.

But from what I have seen this season, what United needs more are players who can combine guile to break down defences with ruthlessness in finishing off chances. So, if I were to pick between a Lukaku, Costa set and a Sanchez, Griezmann set, I would go for the latter not because the former are not good enough but because United needs to break down defences better and score more.
Totally agree man. Think exactly what we need is more craft, guile, creativity or whatever you want to call it, but certainly something that will help break down defenses. Hopefully that is exactly what we go for in the summer.

Status
Not open for further replies.