Romelu Lukaku | United confirm deal subject to medical and personal terms

How do you feel about the imminent signing of Romelu Lukaku?

• Muppetastic!

Votes: 456 20.6%
  • Happy enough

Votes: 1,222 55.2%
  • Ambivalent

Votes: 370 16.7%
  • Disappointed

Votes: 112 5.1%
  • Oh please god no!

Votes: 54 2.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Andersons Dietician

One of his big physical attributes is his running power and speed, but in our current set up, I just wonder, will that have so much use? A Zlatan or Lewandowski striker is the perfect striker for us atm, Lukaku has similar strength, height, build, but you need to be technically very excellent as a current United forward, huge range for goalscoring (Zlatan scores all kinds of goals, excellent link up play). Im not 100% certain if he could do that for us, and at the required level. I'd prefer Icardi myself, besides his strength, he has great understanding of the game and the aggression.
I don't agree with this at all I'm afraid. If anything I think he'd do better in our system than Zlatan. At times our play does open things up for someone to run at teams but Zlatan can't do that. Lukaku will also run the channels to create space for others. He's also really good at getting on things in a compact box. See the amount of crosses he got on last season from Delfeou.

I think people really really underage his game. His first touch at times could be better but then on occasion things stick to him like glue. His link up play is pretty decent too. Obviously all of these things can get better.

Zlatans range of goals scoring this year has been flat track bully. He hasn't shown any of the skill I know he poses having watched him for years but it's a game of opinions and I think I'd rather Lukaku next season than Zlatan.

Icardi is a good shout he's more of a classic striker.

Sammyjunn

In Smalling's pocket (as every other person)
For Playing that way we need to lure the opposition , sit back and counter but we dont have a good enough defense with smalling and jones and sometimes rojo to sit back and not conceed and we dont have enough speed and off the ball attacking movement to counter. This team just can not do it. We will play counter attacking dynamics in a posession based philosophy with more risk in passing in a direct vertical passing next season with addition of a midfeilder, and better attacking players.
I hope thats going to happen. I'd love a Dortmund type of play myself.

Sammyjunn

I don't agree with this at all I'm afraid. If anything I think he'd do better in our system than Zlatan. At times our play does open things up for someone to run at teams but Zlatan can't do that. Lukaku will also run the channels to create space for others. He's also really good at getting on things in a compact box. See the amount of crosses he got on last season from Delfeou.

I think people really really underage his game. His first touch at times could be better but then on occasion things stick to him like glue. His link up play is pretty decent too. Obviously all of these things can get better.

Zlatans range of goals scoring this year has been flat track bully. He hasn't shown any of the skill I know he poses having watched him for years but it's a game of opinions and I think I'd rather Lukaku next season than Zlatan.

Icardi is a good shout he's more of a classic striker.
When was the last time you have seen our wingers put in an acceptable cross? And what do you think he can do when there are 21 players in one half at Old Trafford which is often the case, with no space whatsoever?

Fracture90

I'd prefer Icardi myself, besides his strength, he has great understanding of the game and the aggression.
Icardi is a good striker but not sure how good will he fit in this system of Mourinho's. He rarely ever touches the ball outside the 16 meter box and his hold up has a lot to be desired.

When was the last time you have seen our wingers put in an acceptable cross
You had a very good cross last game from Martial to Zlatan.

Problem isn't that players aren't sending good enough crosses, problem is that more often than not there's none on the receiving end of them. Zlatan often wonders out of the 16 meter box and Mata, Mikhi, Lingard are way too undersized to challenge for them.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
One of his big physical attributes is his running power and speed, but in our current set up, I just wonder, will that have so much use? A Zlatan or Lewandowski striker is the perfect striker for us atm, Lukaku has similar strength, height, build, but you need to be technically very excellent as a current United forward, huge range for goalscoring (Zlatan scores all kinds of goals, excellent link up play). Im not 100% certain if he could do that for us, and at the required level. I'd prefer Icardi myself, besides his strength, he has great understanding of the game and the aggression.
Contradiction mate. Icardi is younger Hernandez. He is superb poacher but his overall game is average. Probably he scored only 1 goal from outside the box for Inter in 2-3 years.

Sammyjunn

Contradiction mate. Icardi is younger Hernandez. He is superb poacher but his overall game is average. Probably he scored only 1 goal from outside the box for Inter in 2-3 years.
This is false, Icardi has a lot to his game. He didnt start as a striker too, he's no young Hernandez. Has also racked quite some assists this season. Posted a vid in his thread for further reference (not that that proves anything).

Andersons Dietician

When was the last time you have seen our wingers put in an acceptable cross? And what do you think he can do when there are 21 players in one half at Old Trafford which is often the case, with no space whatsoever?
Quite often, but then it's not what our wide players are best at but what they are tasked with by Jose. a reason why teams get like that is because we are slow in the build up and Zlatan doesn't often run the channels moving the opposition defence about. Lukaku would give us that creating space for Martial, Miki, Pogba or Herrerato do damage. It should hopefully even allow Shaw and Valencia to get up and join in the attack. The whole sqauad is there for a fast counter attacking team and the odd man out is Zlatan.

Lukaku for me would make us much better than we currently are and when you take in to account he is going in to his final year of his contract unless Everton are willing to lose him on a free next year he'll go for about 40-50 mil if that.

United Pro

Quite often, but then it's not what our wide players are best at but what they are tasked with by Jose. a reason why teams get like that is because we are slow in the build up and Zlatan doesn't often run the channels moving the opposition defence about. Lukaku would give us that creating space for Martial, Miki, Pogba or Herrerato do damage. It should hopefully even allow Shaw and Valencia to get up and join in the attack. The whole sqauad is there for a fast counter attacking team and the odd man out is Zlatan.

Lukaku for me would make us much better than we currently are and when you take in to account he is going in to his final year of his contract unless Everton are willing to lose him on a free next year he'll go for about 40-50 mil if that.
I think Lukaku's got 2 years left on his contract.

roonster09

Scout
This is false, Icardi has a lot to his game. He didnt start as a striker too, he's no young Hernandez. Has also racked quite some assists this season. Posted a vid in his thread for further reference (not that that proves anything).
No. He is like Hernandez. He can't dribble, can't pass (meaning creative passes) but his finishing and movement is class though. He does what striker should, put the ball in the net.

Andersons Dietician

I think Lukaku's got 2 years left on his contract.
Does he? Damn I thought I read he was going in to his final year. Oh well forget that cheaper cost then. 70-100 mil it is then.
Wasn't it 70 mil they were asking from Chelsea last year and his stock has surely gone up since then.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Lukaku is very good and has proven he can consistently get goals in the Premier League but I still don't feel that he is a top quality player worth a £80m fee which Everton would almost certainly demand.

United Pro

Does he? Damn I thought I read he was going in to his final year. Oh well forget that cheaper cost then. 70-100 mil it is then.
Wasn't it 70 mil they were asking from Chelsea last year and his stock has surely gone up since then.
Yeah I think it was, but that asking price has just risen after this season. If I remember correctly Telegraph was reporting a £90m asking price now.

Andersons Dietician

Yeah I think it was, but that asking price has just risen after this season. If I remember correctly Telegraph was reporting a £90m asking price now.
I'm hesitant to say he is worth that much but really looking at available strikers i don't see any better options. Especially any fitting the Jose profile of a striker.

people will obviously say Lewendowski or Muller, Aubemyang and so on but I doubt they are attainable and I don't think I would say Aubemyang is that much better than Lukaku. Belotti I see is quoted about the same price so this must be the new asking price for guys like this. Wonder if this is the summer of the 100 mil player.

United Pro

I'm hesitant to say he is worth that much but really looking at available strikers i don't see any better options. Especially any fitting the Jose profile of a striker.

people will obviously say Lewendowski or Muller, Aubemyang and so on but I doubt they are attainable and I don't think I would say Aubemyang is that much better than Lukaku. Belotti I see is quoted about the same price so this must be the new asking price for guys like this. Wonder if this is the summer of the 100 mil player.
I don't think Belotti will actually be sold anywhere near his release clause. I mean Torino sold Immobile, Darmian and Maksimovic for around €20m each and I'm fairly sure they are Torino's biggest sales. So I can't see them sticking to a €100m release clause for Belotti. I reckon he'll be available for around £35m-40m.

BigDunc9

Supports
Everton
It does make me laugh when people say he can only play on the counter. His worst two games of late have come in the games where Everton have played on the counter. Meanwhile he's been putting all the teams who come to Goodison with 11 men behind the ball away with relative ease.

antihenry

CAF GRU Rep
Somehow the idea of seeing Lukaku in a CFC shirt again doesn't excite me at all. I know he got much better in all these years at Everton, but I've just never cared for him as a player and still don't.

AshfordLad

Somehow the idea of seeing Lukaku in a CFC shirt again doesn't excite me at all. I know he got much better in all these years at Everton, but I've just never cared for him as a player and still don't.
I dont want him back either. That said, it seems good as done now.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/foot...ld-him-he-will-not-sign-new-toffees-contract/

I dont see any other teams linked with him as strongly as we are and he is surely leaving Everton this summer.

Tarrou

If Chelsea sign Lukaku that's not too bad for the rest of the league, is it? It means Costa's definitely off and I don't think it's an upgrade - yet.

Also means they probably won't be in for Mbappe any time soon either.

If they get Sanchez where will he play? He's not as effective coming off the right as he is from the left or a centrally. And they'd lose a lot of defensive stability if they line-up with Sanchez+Hazard.

AgentP

I don't think Belotti will actually be sold anywhere near his release clause. I mean Torino sold Immobile, Darmian and Maksimovic for around €20m each and I'm fairly sure they are Torino's biggest sales. So I can't see them sticking to a €100m release clause for Belotti. I reckon he'll be available for around £35m-40m.
Apparently, they rejected a 50m bid for him last summer from Chelsea. So whoever wants him will have to pay more than that.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
You genuinely think Pogba is a lesser player than Lukaku?
Pogba is nowadays a measuring scale for transfers. Guy A scored more goals than Pogba. Price >89mil. Guy B has more assists. Price > 89mil. Guy C has less haircuts. Price > 89mil and worth it too.

Sammyjunn

Pogba is nowadays a measuring scale for transfers. Guy A scored more goals than Pogba. Price >89mil. Guy B has more assists. Price > 89mil. Guy C has less haircuts. Price > 89mil and worth it too.
It's fair to say Lukaku has had a more productive season yeah, although Pogba hasnt done bad for a midfielder statistically, but Lukaku a better player... Lord, have mercy.

Bwuk

No-one will pay £100m for him. Great player but no-one will pay that.

Quizierda

Hope Jose brings him in!

Great striker, with a lot of potential to become even better + he is PL proven and more or less the only real target we could go for (Spurs won't sell Kane to us, Belotti would cost the same etc.).

Maybe we could include Rooney somehow into this deal - just to sweeten it for Everton of course.. :D

sunama

Baghdad Bob
In which case, Icardi would be the best striker for us.
Our problem is not getting the ball in and around the penalty area.
Our problem is that the ball is constantly near the penalty area, but we can't get the ball past the keeper. That, and the penalty area is heavily congested with about 18 players all packing the same area.
We need a fox in the box.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
Hope Jose brings him in!

Great striker, with a lot of potential to become even better + he is PL proven and more or less the only real target we could go for (Spurs won't sell Kane to us, Belotti would cost the same etc.).

Maybe we could include Rooney somehow into this deal - just to sweeten it for Everton of course.. :D
If you include Rooney, we will need to pay them to take him off our hands - he is that bad.
So, its best not to include him in any deal.
The best way to deal with Rooney is let him go on a free. Or if necessary, pay him to leave the club.
Also, I am very suspicious of Everton's interest in Rooney. I think if we asked them to table an offer, they'd back out. Rooney is not good enough to play in the EPL and I think Everton know this. If they bought him, it would be to sell shirts.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
No-one will pay £100m for him. Great player but no-one will pay that.
No one will pay that and it seems like he wants out - which means he will put pressure on Everton. In the end he will move for about 50-60m

roonster09

Scout
In which case, Icardi would be the best striker for us.
Our problem is not getting the ball in and around the penalty area.
Our problem is that the ball is constantly near the penalty area, but we can't get the ball past the keeper. That, and the penalty area is heavily congested with about 18 players all packing the same area.
We need a fox in the box.
Not saying he isn't just pointing out his overall game isn't all that. He is very clinical and I won't complain if he is leading the line for us.

Quizierda

If you include Rooney, we will need to pay them to take him off our hands - he is that bad.
So, its best not to include him in any deal.
The best way to deal with Rooney is let him go on a free. Or if necessary, pay him to leave the club.
Also, I am very suspicious of Everton's interest in Rooney. I think if we asked them to table an offer, they'd back out. Rooney is not good enough to play in the EPL and I think Everton know this. If they bought him, it would be to sell shirts.
Agree with your post in the most points (and my part of sweetening the deal for Everton was sarcastic so didn't mean it).

However, the only move for Rooney I can see would be Everton as he doesn't want to leave the country due to family etc. So if we want to get rid of him and Everton tells us they would take him on a free we should definitely do so. He is of no use for us anymore (as you stated) thus the best way to deal with him is to let him leave the club - even on a free (like we did with Bastian).

BennyBlanco

fixated with Shaw's bum
I hope Costa leaves and he goes to Chelsea, or he stays at Everton another season before going somewhere. He's a good goalscorer I don't think thats in question but he still has a lot of work to do on his all round game, he also likes space infront of him, while he won't get that here, like at OT when opposition have 9 around the box for 90% of the game.
Zlatan is far more clever with his runs and movement inside the area and has struggled so i'd worry Lukaku may too.

United Pro

Apparently, they rejected a 50m bid for him last summer from Chelsea. So whoever wants him will have to pay more than that.
They rejected £50m last summer? That sounds like nonsense to me. They bought him a year before for like £5m and he's only really burst onto the scene this season, after scoring 12 league goals last year.

Status
Not open for further replies.