Romelu Lukaku | United confirm deal subject to medical and personal terms

How do you feel about the imminent signing of Romelu Lukaku?

• Muppetastic!

Votes: 456 20.6%
  • Happy enough

Votes: 1,222 55.2%
  • Ambivalent

Votes: 370 16.7%
  • Disappointed

Votes: 112 5.1%
  • Oh please god no!

Votes: 54 2.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

mr.suave

Christ, that was fast.

There's no doubting that he can be clumsy at times, but he's near enough guaranteed to bang in 30+ goals next season and he still has plenty of room for improvement in his game.

Should turn out to be a top player for us if it all goes through.

Red Star One

Bit of a donkey and not really a player you can expect to pull a 10/10 performance against a top team, isn't he?
Still would be pleased if he came here. 75M is a fair price for a very proven yet young striker, he definitely has goals in him and we need someone to bully the lower teams, make those draws wins. Let's see what happens.

Bwuk

Happy with this. 75m is a reasonable fee in the current market and Lukaku has scored a lot of goals.

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
I think this could be a great deal for the club. Lukaku might not be top drawer, but he will score loads of goals for us over many seasons and help us get back to the top. It's comparable to the Dwight Yorke signing I think.

stubie

We shot ourself in the foot with the Pogba fee

Now we are paying the price!

Just wondering what £19m in 2001 would be in today's money

GrandJury

He's a goal scoring machine at Everton. He can easily score 30+ goals a season.

Great signing.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Reckon he will be class for you, wouldn't be surprised to see him getting a few records.

sincher

We shot ourself in the foot with the Pogba fee

Now we are paying the price!

Just wondering what £19m in 2001 would be in today's money
No, it's just where the market is now.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
We should all calm down btw. We've just agreed a fee, Chelsea can do the same and he can go to them. I'd wait till he actually signs for us, although the Manc based reporters are reporting it so obvious the United has briefed them.

dellboyy

I always think this point gets brushed off too easily. He's settled in the country already, clearly is desperate to play for a bigger club, and has already shown he can score goals against the teams we'll play week in, week out. One of the reasons I'd jump at the chance to sign Harry Kane if the opportunity ever arose.
Yeah totally agree. There's been so many examples of players just not settling over here, i mean off the top of my head look at Di Maria! Plus he's had the chance to get used to the lovely rainy north thanks to Everton :)

I'd love Kane, but have always thought utterly no chance, he's Spurs through and through.

Scarecrow

Having a week off
Sack Ed, make Pogba playing CEO. Had we let him take Griezmann to LA we'd have gotten him too.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Lukaku has the benefit of my doubt. Can't deny his goalscoring skills.

prateik

Dont care about the fee. He is young. He scores goals. It should fit.

Hope this happens now..

If the beeb are reporting it, surely a confirmation on the official site shouldnt be too far away.

Adnandos

Lukaku is going to score so many goals for us and have a terrible first touch, its like prime and current Rooney mixed together, hes gonna be so divisive :drool:

Conte resignation watch initiate

sincher

We should all calm down btw. We've just agreed a fee, Chelsea can do the same and he can go to them. I'd wait till he actually signs for us, although the Manc based reporters are reporting it so obvious the United has briefed them.
I reckon he would rather join United, but yeah, until it's done it ain't done.

sincher

Lukaku is going to score so many goals for us and have a terrible first touch, its like prime and current Rooney mixed together, hes gonna be so divisive :drool:
His touch is not that bad and he has a lot of other attributes. There are not too many other strikers on the market who look like better options.

podurban2

I really hope it's not instead of Morata.
Mate forget about Morata, Real are almost impossible to deal with especially as United. I'd would have wanted Morata as well but you can't get everything you want, it simply couldn't be done.

settembrini

1. He would be an excellent signing. People moan about his first touch and yes it is bad for a top level player but he is a goal machine. Quick, strong, good movement, good in the air, finishes well with both feet. His record speaks for it self. We need goals more than anything and he will score a ton for us.
2. Mourinho has worked with him before. He is big mates with Pogba. He is used to living in the north west and playing in the premier league. In terms of 'settling in' this should be a very smooth signing.
3. £75m is a lot but it's not ridiculous like the world record fee Everton wanted. It's about what Madrid wanted for Morata and I would pick Lukaku over Morata every day of the week.
4. A lot of people on this forum who think he is a donkey and hated the idea of us signing him are going to have eat their words or have a meltdown :)

cheeky_backheel

No, Improving the attacking transition will sharpen the attack and get goals from other players as well as a team in a 3 man midfeild itself.
I have no idea why you think a 3-man midfield would improve attack transition talk less of sharpening the attack or even getting goals from other players.

Neither midfield formation has any direct bearing on attacking transition or potency of the attack. Those are more dependent on the quality/type of players and team strategy/style. An extra CM would not create more chances nor would he improve the strikers conversion rates when compared to an AM.

A 3-man midfield gives you an extra man in the middle which help to control the midfield and dominate possession. Unfortunately it leaves you with only 3 attackers who have to bear the bulk of you attack.

A 2-man midfield leaves you potentially under manned in the midfield but affords you 4 attackers upfront.

The choice of which formation is better would depend on where the strength of the squad is. If the team has very potent attacking trio (e.g. barcelona) they can afford to play 3 in the midfield to get better possession and defensive coverage. If the team has superior midfielders, they can afford to play with only 2 and add an extra attacker for a more potent attack. If a team has quality all around (e.g. Madrid), then they can choose either based on the style of players and/or preferences of the manager.

In our case, our strength is in midfield where we have a dominant CM in Pogba. Pairing Pogba with a solid DM is enough o hold our own against most other midfield, and, given our lack of quality and impotency upfront, it makes more sense to commit the extra man upfront to make the attack better. When players are of same quality, 4>3.

Playing a 3-man midfield with our current attacking options is simply making a bad situation worse.

Snowjoe

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Staff
Supports
Cheltenham Town
I can't believe he's only 24. For some reason I assumed he was way older. Probably because he's a tank.

Status
Not open for further replies.