Romelu Lukaku | United confirm deal subject to medical and personal terms

How do you feel about the imminent signing of Romelu Lukaku?

• Muppetastic!

Votes: 456 20.6%
  • Happy enough

Votes: 1,222 55.2%
  • Ambivalent

Votes: 370 16.7%
  • Disappointed

Votes: 112 5.1%
  • Oh please god no!

Votes: 54 2.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

izzydiggler

You can see why he's worth such a big fee - he practically guarantees you goals in the PL. That he's scored so many playing for West Brom and Everton and repeated it many times is really impressive.

I guess some of us find him slightly underwhelming because often (I know not always) higher priced players offer excitement, pace and a bit of trickery etc - I mean you are talking around a world record fee which has previously bought the likes of Neymar, both Ronaldos, Figo...basically the some of the best players ever. I don't think even Lukaku's biggest fans could claim he's anything close to that.

Good signing, we need goals and he's as close to a guarantee that we could ever hope for - I know that's more than enough for most but for me it's difficult not to be a bit disappointed.

El Zoido

It's just how the market has shifted. Those "best players ever" would run you £130m at an absolute minimum these days. You wouldn't get Harry Kane for less than £100m.

drdoityourself

Very happy with the money saved on transport. Him vacationing where the United tour will start makes this transfer very satisfying. Who cares if its a 75 or 90 million transfer. United is already getting money back. Another striker would have needed to be flown out.

Riz

It's just how the market has shifted. Those "best players ever" would run you £130m at an absolute minimum these days. You wouldn't get Harry Kane for less than £100m.
Yeh it's actually baffling how many people still fail to grasp the basic concept of inflation especially of the transfer market kind. The amount of times I hear about how Ronaldo only cost £80m, well yeh mate almost a DECADE ago. There's no one comparable to '09 Ronaldo in the league at the moment but arguably the most expensive would be Kane, I honestly reckon Spurs would reject £120m. As shocking as it sounds, in today's market £75m for Lukaku all considering isn't that expensive.

blue blue

Supports
chelsea
I'm not saying the deal isn't happening but with there being a £15m add-on dispute and no medical isn't this all speculation and a bit on the early side.

Adebesi

Yeh it's actually baffling how many people still fail to grasp the basic concept of inflation especially of the transfer market kind. The amount of times I hear about how Ronaldo only cost £80m, well yeh mate almost a DECADE ago. There's no one comparable to '09 Ronaldo in the league at the moment but arguably the most expensive would be Kane, I honestly reckon Spurs would reject £120m. As shocking as it sounds, in today's market £75m for Lukaku all considering isn't that expensive.
I have no doubt Spurs would turn down £120m for Kane.

Mihai

Not always true - Drogba was never a prolific scorer. In 8 seasons with Chelsea, he scored >20 league goals only once, with a total of 157 goals in 341 appearances (<50%) and yet was one of the best strikers to play in the PL

You should buy any player for the totality of what he brings to the team.
Ok, let's agree to disagree then. I think strikers are bought to score goals, you think they are bought to defend. NO point arguing.

I think you will probably agree to the poster who wrote yesterday that we'd be better off playing Smalling upfront.

Tiber

Wow, notice how many of those are taken first time? He really finds the corner well especially from the left side. Can't wait :drool:
Very impressive video. If he could learn to control a ball more like Mata rather than post-Moyes era Rooney then he will be a hell of a player for us

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I'm not saying the deal isn't happening but with there being a £15m add-on dispute and no medical isn't this all speculation and a bit on the early side.
All press talk to sell papers IMO.

The deals done, will meet up with United when they fly out to LA.

Might be a little bit of back and forth over the last few pence but the deals done. We won't have leaked it unless we were dead serious.

cheeky_backheel

Ok, let's agree to disagree then. I think strikers are bought to score goals, you think they are bought to defend. NO point arguing.

I think you will probably agree to the poster who wrote yesterday that we'd be better off playing Smalling upfront.
What I think is that striker are bought to do a lot of things of which scoring goals is only one of them and definitely not the only thing even if it is the most important thing in most cases.

If you have a player like CR7, you look for a striker like Benzema to complement him and not a Lewandowski that expects all scoring opportunities should be left to him.

Its like how you dont buy a midfielder just to pass the ball.

TheBiggest

I reckon you do. But in case you really dont, I think it goes back to this post:

You know, the one where you strongly imply that Lukaku is a better prospect than RVN. No, scrap that, the one where you imply its laughable to think Lukaku ISNT a better prospect than RVN.

Reading his posts I get the sense he disagrees. Im inclined to agree with him.

But we'll see how things pan out.

Ah...now I get it.

Yeah, like you - he missed the point of what was being said. He said he would take 2003 RvN over Lukaku now. And I made a point of saying 2003 RvN was in his peak years, so it goes without saying.

The argument being that there is not much difference between 24-year-old Lukaku and 24-year-old RvN - except Lukaku has scored many more goals - and they happen to be in the league we are buying him to play in.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
We're so big that the Real Madrid fans have to use our forum to discuss football.

Adebesi

Ah...now I get it.

Yeah, like you - he missed the point of what was being said. He said he would take 2003 RvN over Lukaku now. And I made a point of saying 2003 RvN was in his peak years, so it goes without saying.
Ah OK. Not sure that was particularly clear. Well, it wasnt to me anyway, the way you were going on about Lukaku's stats being better than RVN's at a similar age made it sound like you thought he was better - though now youve clarified I can see why you mentioned it.

Grylte

"nothing wrong with some friendly incest, bro"
BTW, can someone explain his whole loan and sale to Everton? Someone on here said that wasn't Jose's doing - wanted to know how?

Was my first thought too. Think Jomo 'got rid' of him twice.
See it's been explained now, good, was afraid Jomo didn't rate him, but now he got desperate for a new big striker.

VanGaalyTime

All press talk to sell papers IMO.

The deals done, will meet up with United when they fly out to LA.

Might be a little bit of back and forth over the last few pence but the deals done. We won't have leaked it unless we were dead serious.
Exactly. The deal has already been officially announced by Craig Norwood, who has a better reputation than United's official site for getting United transfer news spot on.

Denis79

Neil Henderson of the BBC reporting that the Lukaku deal is a £100m in total. £75m + £15m in variables plus waiving Wayne Rooney's £10m asking price.

It is why the deal happened so quickly.

Won't pay more than £66m for Morata but £100m for Lukaku. ********ing stupid.

In what world is Lukaku worth €114m
In what world is Morata worth 90? This world I guess. Lukaku has proven himself as a effective striker. Morata has proven he has the talent but in no way that he would do well in the PL. Me personally would take Lukaku over Morata every day of the week.

NYAS

For me, the confirmation of this being a done deal was Steve Bartram following Lukaku on Twitter. That's literally a 100% hit-rate, even more reliable than the Norwood tweets. It means the official web-site are already working on the announcement and are probably even in direct communication with Lukaku's team.

Mihai

What I think is that striker are bought to do a lot of things of which scoring goals is only one of them and definitely not the only thing even if it is the most important thing in most cases.

If you have a player like CR7, you look for a striker like Benzema to complement him and not a Lewandowski that expects all scoring opportunities should be left to him.

Its like how you dont buy a midfielder just to pass the ball.
We don't have a CR7, in fact, no one has apart from Madrid.

What we have is a team full of players capable of creating scoring chances but no one who can convert them. Considering last year and if Lukaku keeps his scoring boots on next year, I wouldn't mind all scoring opportunities to be left to him.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I do worry about his touch and ability in tight spaces being a complete disappointment. Hopefully this concern is unfounded and he shows improvement in this regard with us. But yeah, I feel someone like morata possibly suited a top clubs style of play more. But on him the worry is goalscorer which Lukaku has.

devilish

Probably because the Spanish authorities ceased theirs!
So back to Franco's era again?

Has the government 'convinced' Messi to join Real yet? That's what happened with Di Stefano last time round. Not that the fascists had ever helped Real in any way!

MV12

So back to Franco's era again?
Well if you speak to some of the locals around here.. they say they never left.. but that's another story..

Feck I like this Lukaku dude.. seems like he bangs them in for fun..

And a couple of side notes.. Real Madrid & Chelsea :lol::lol:

devilish

Well if you speak to some of the locals around here.. they say they never left.. but that's another story..

Feck I like this Lukaku dude.. seems like he bangs them in for fun..

And a couple of side notes.. Real Madrid & Chelsea :lol::lol:
I like the fact that United will not allow anyone to force their hands. Which is fair enough considering we are the one holding the purse. I wish Real all the luck in the world in keeping their disgrunted bench warmer happy while finding the pennies needed to get Zidane's new toy.

cheeky_backheel

We don't have a CR7, in fact, no one has apart from Madrid.

What we have is a team full of players capable of creating scoring chances but no one who can convert them. Considering last year and if Lukaku keeps his scoring boots on next year, I wouldn't mind all scoring opportunities to be left to him.
A lot of those scoring chances came from Zlatan's involvement.

If Lukaku cannot help with the build up play and creation of scoring chances, there will be much less chances to convert and likely less goals scored as well.

RedCurry

Spanish media were pretty consistant that we were always asking for €90m just that Man Utd refused to meet it.

Perez never changed his mind once. But enjoy Benteke 2.0. Lol
Ouch. That hurts. But I suppose I'll take Benteke 2.0 over Jese 2.0.

MV12

I like the fact that United will not allow anyone to force their hands. Which is fair enough considering we are the one holding the purse. I wish Real all the luck in the world in keeping their disgrunted bench warmer happy while finding the pennies needed to get Zidane's new toy.
Yeah I think the same... And I just wonder, if it's purely 'coincidence' that they're both ex's of our Jose :cool: ..

It could be seen as the perfect 'finger' in both there directions.

MullerUtd

Donkey? He's one of the most lethal strikers in the league.
It's harder to believe so many fans want us to play a better brand of football but are then giddy to sign this guy.
You will find many posters on here who criticize Lukaku during the EPL match day threads and calling him out for being a one-tricky pony, lazy, one-dimensional, a lump etc and these were live matches taking place so its not like people were biased specifically towards him. I guess this is what 4 years of mediocrity does to the club's fans that we've lowered our expectations so much that 3/4 of the forum are delighted with this signing. Under Fergie, he would be seen as a Saha esque signing and it would just be meh for us. He can be very clinical in the league but he's not the kind of striker who takes us to the next level to challenge in Europe. The fee we've paid for him is ridiculous, there's a reason why he is a Chelsea reject and he's only performing well in mid-table clubs. His best goal tally came from clubs like West Brom and Everton, with no disrespect. For £75 m, we should be getting one of the top 5 strikers in the world like Lewandowski or Muller. If you factor in inflation, I'd rather we pay another £20 to £30 m more to get a strikers of this calibre. If we can pay £75 m for this donkey, why can't we pay more to tempt Lewandowski? Weren't there reports of him unhappy with Bayern Munich cause he missed out on the top scorer in the league last season, with his agent trying to angle a move for him and you have Aubameyang who looks set to move from Dortmund. These are proven strikers in Europe as well. In fact, I'd rather we take a punt on Morata, I think he has a higher ceiling and is obviously more technical.

Mihai

A lot of those scoring chances came from Zlatan's involvement.

If Lukaku cannot help with the build up play and creation of scoring chances, there will be much less chances to convert and likely less goals scored as well.
A lot were misses by Zlatan. I still remember that header away at Liverpool.

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
The fee we've paid for him is ridiculous, there's a reason why he is a Chelsea reject and he's only performing well in mid-table clubs. His best goal tally came from clubs like West Brom and Everton, with no disrespect. For £75 m, we should be getting one of the top 5 strikers in the world like Lewandowski or Muller. If you factor in inflation, I'd rather we pay another £20 to £30 m more to get a strikers of this calibre. If we can pay £75 m for this donkey, why can't we pay more to tempt Lewandowski?
1. He isnt a Chelsea reject per say. He was young and needed more playing time every week. Mou was more focused on winning short team. Hence he sold him and brought in a more experienced player who was ready to play every week in Costa. 30m at that time was big money for Lukaku.

2. He has only performed well for midtable clubs? Well look at it this way - if he performed well for them, what makes you think he cant perform well for a bigger and better team?

3. His best goal tally came from clubs like West Brom and Everton? Well no shit Sherlock, he has played only for those two clubs regularly. I dont understand your complaint there.

4. Lewandowski isnt available. Bayern shut down that rumor less than 24 hours after it came out. Move on. Muller isnt a #9.

Status
Not open for further replies.