Romelu Lukaku vs Alvaro Morata 2017/18

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Right, we may as well have a thread on this. Throughout the year there will be inevitable comparisons between the two.

I'd have been happy with either of them. In fact, having both of them would have been perfect, alas, one plays for Man Utd and the other for Chelsea.

Who do you prefer?

Initially, I preferred Alvaro Morata myself, but thinking about it now - I can see how Lukaku will be a monster for us. Not just this season, but going forward as well. Undoubtedly, we will have to create all the chances for him. So a lot rests on our players who will have to create for him.

Last edited:

Von Mistelroum

It'll be a good battle for top scorer I think between Lukaku, Morata, Aguero, Lacazette and Kane. I wouldn't like to guess at who will be the eventual victor. Some top class strikers in the PL now. If someone were to bring Aubameyang or Belotti in too it could get even more interesting :)

Orc

Pretended to be a United fan for two years
Supports
Chelsea
Getting my early predictions in here. Lukaku 25 PL goals, Morata 23. :)

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
Lukaku will play 'less well', but still good enough and we'll finish above in the league so no-one will care.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Both very good players, I would have been happy with any of them. So we got Lukaku, I'm happy.

AshfordLad

Lukaku: 9 open play goals, 3 penalties
Morata: 25 goals for Real Madrid

Banat

I already said before transfer window even opened how Lukaku is my dream signing for the summer. I think he will be an absolute star in our team and in my opinion, it's between him and Kane who will be top scorer in the end.

Hojoon

This is all set up for Lacazette to destroy both of them and lead Arsenal to a treble.

RedCurry

Chelsea is a better team than us and Lukaku is the better player than Morata. I reckon their numbers might be similar but I am going to back Lukaku to still get more goals.

Raw

I have a bad feeling he will be very good for them and Lukaku will fail to deliver for us. :nervous:
So do I. I guess that's more me being negative considering how underwhelming our big money signings have been recently.

Objectively, Morata is the riskier signing. As long as Lukaku can bang in the goals and finish off our chances who cares how well Morata does for Chelsea.

I'd probably feel more confident if United also bought a very good attacking player to help lift the burden off Lukaku's shoulders to score all our goals for us.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
I think I'll echo what's been said before. Morata is a greater risk, but imo, a greater reward. He's technically superior and if he can add the goals as a main guy, he's a sound investment.

Lukaku is proven here and as safe a bet as you can get for 20+ goals a season I think. I think Lukaku is a better fit for a typical Mourinho team.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Some excellent strikers at the top clubs really. Arsenal and Chelsea both upgrading imo.

Reynoldo

I think Lukaku would box the head off him, I mean come on he's twice his size.

Pyroblazer

That's a hot jacket, man
Lukaku reached 15+ league goals in 4 of his last 5 PL seasons for teams like Everton and West Bromwich. Morata reached 15 once and is older than him. I think even our useless attack can't avoid Lukaku winning this battle. I see Lacazette as a bigger competitor.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
Depends on the type of fight; I think Lukaku would destroy him in the Octagon. Morata might have more agility about him to get a few more points in a boxing ring.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Lukaku will score more than Morata.

Chelsea's attack will score more than Uniteds.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I prefer the striker Chelsea have got, sadly.

And I have the feeling the majority of the caf preferred Morata when we were linked with him with a shift having happened now.

ADJUDICATOR

Supports
THE BRAVE AND THE BOLD
They haven't played yet and I'm already pretty miffed. :lol:

TsuWave

Morata is the better player imo.

"proven in the prem" is almost as bad as "physicality" for me.

K2K

"Can Manchester United score? They always score"

And I have the feeling the majority of the caf preferred Morata when we were linked with him with a shift having happened now.
Tbh I had to convince myself to get aboard the Morata train. I still think the fee for him is outrageous.

I also have my doubts about Lukaku. But im convincing myself with him too.

AshRK

Lukaku . Although morata is better all-round player but I prefer to spend £75 on lukaku than on morata. Also, morata may eventually go back to Spain if he does well here. Real will be monitoring him and will buy him the moment he starts playing well. Isn't that what those virus do?

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout

Majority of the Caf had problems with Morata too when we were linked saying he was never first choice and never led the line. There are many who were happy with either.