Romelu Lukaku vs Alvaro Morata 2017/18

OneReligion

Morata has successfully linked up play today more times than Lukaku has all season, reaffirming my opinion that we should’ve signed him instead. His first touch is far better (we all knew lukaku’s touch was bad) which helps Chelsea attack at a decent pace with players running off him. Something I think we really struggle with.

Before I get my head bitten off, I like Lukaku, he's done really well for us so far, I just think with Morata we’d have gotten a player who would’ve made our midfield stand out more, bringing the best out of them, which overall would make us a better team than we have been already (which isn’t bad at all!). It’s only my opinion, and I get that a strikers job is to score goals, so I guess we’ll see who ‘the better’ signing is come the end of the season.

Reactions: Varun

BlahRules

Morata has successfully linked up play today more times than Lukaku has all season, reaffirming my opinion that we should’ve signed him instead. His first touch is far better (we all knew lukaku’s touch was bad) which helps Chelsea attack at a decent pace with players running off him. Something I think we really struggle with.

Before I get my head bitten off, I like Lukaku, he's done really well for us so far, I just think with Morata we’d have gotten a player who would’ve made our midfield stand out more, bringing the best out of them, which overall would make us a better team than we have been already (which isn’t bad at all!). It’s only my opinion, and I get that a strikers job is to score goals, so I guess we’ll see who ‘the better’ signing is come the end of the season.
I agree, was totally gutted when we could not obtain Morrata.

You could just see from the his overrall play how much he brings to the team and what he could have brought to our team.

Lukaku v Moratta reminds me of RVN v Henry. RVN is more clinical than Henry but Henry overall game player is much stronger, and more appealing than RVN.

In the end, both player would be successful, only difference is one would be a joy to watch than the other.

Sammyjunn

In Smalling's pocket (as every other person)
I agree, was totally gutted when we could not obtain Morrata.

You could just see from the his overrall play how much he brings to the team and what he could have brought to our team.

Lukaku v Moratta reminds me of RVN v Henry. RVN is more clinical than Henry but Henry overall game player is much stronger, and more appealing than RVN.

In the end, both player would be successful, only difference is one would be a joy to watch than the other.
The comparison holds but I'd never want to put Lukaku in the same breathe as RvN.

deafepl

Are you for real? Morata is not good as Lukaku defensively. Lukaku has created 11 key passes, 7 more than Morata, he created a lot of chance for his team 2 times than Morata and have higher shooting accuracy than Morata. Lukaku is stronger and physically, he's basically like immune to injury which we can benefit from it. if he gets injured, we are simply fecked up.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Saw this thread bumped and assumed someone was pointing out how poor Morata has been.

Sterling Archer

Geez some of you are miserable lot, worrying about whether Morata is better (for the team) than Lukaku. Neglecting the fact that Rom has been exceptional in every way, you're also ignoring that the teams main needs stem from creativity and solidarity out wide and in midfield now with Pogba.

Geez some of you are miserable lot, worrying about whether Morata is better (for the team) than Lukaku. Neglecting the fact that Rom has been exceptional in every way, you're also ignoring that the teams main needs stem from creativity and solidarity out wide and in midfield now with Pogba.
That Liverpool game really did a number on some of our fan base :lol:

@OneReligion must be beyond desperate to post that with the day Morata and Chelsea are having so far.

Last edited:

jungledrums

You're entitled an opinion, but what an utterly bizarre time to bump this thread. He's spent half the time getting outmuscled or losing the ball. Bar setting up Fabregas with that chance, he's done nothing of note. The myth that Lukaku can't 'link play' has been well and truly busted. This is one of Morata's worst halves, and you're using it as evidence that we should have signed him over the man top of the goal scoring charts? Right.

deafepl

Spot on, Lukaku had no proper wing to cross a ball and managed to score 6 goals without Pogba. He's basically completed striker, if you pass it to him before he goes through penalty box, he would score it, simply.

SwansonsTache

incontinent sexual deviant & German sausage lover
Morata is the better footballer, who is the better PL striker of the two remains to be seen.

Sammyjunn

Exceptional in every way? That is overstating it a bit isnt. He has been excellent for us so far though.

Mike09

The guy who made this thread is the same person who made Herrera vs Kante. What's up with him/her??

Morata lacks strength, he's easily outmuscled by defenders. Lukaku is pure strength & pace but his ball control & touch are still nowhere near high level, and this is coming from someone who thinks Lukaku has improved in this aspect. Both can score goals though.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Did more link up play in first half than Lukaku all season and still he was subbed out when chasing the game.

Had very poor game.

Zoo

Strange bump, he has been roughed up by Watford if anything and now been taken off after an hour.

OneReligion

Ok, so next I’ll bump the Gabriel Jesus, KDB, and Aguero threads, so they too have their worst games

Morata had a decent opening 30 minutes but, it’s not his fault Chelsea have been so poor since. Similar to how lukaku was woeful against Liverpool, like the rest of the team.

LoneStar

If Morata was here, then people would be moaning about him and wishing we had Lukaku. We could have Messi and people would still find ways to moan about him here.

Sterling Archer

Exceptional in every way? That is overstating it a bit isnt. He has been excellent for us so far though.
Idk mate, he's done quite a bit in my eyes...

On The Pitch
- Scoring goals, winning contribution on the field and some United records to boot
- Great Sportsmanship - see that empathetic display after the Benfica match consoling the young keeper?

Off The Pitch
- Combating racist misrepresentation of black athletes (see other forum thread)
- contributions to the art and style of male grooming - d at beard tho
- collaborations in the musical world (featured in rap videos

In The Bed
- one can only assume..for decency I'll only ask that we not write the lyrics from THAT supporters chant

#NoWhiteText #hashtag

D2Z

Supports
Undercover "Chelsea fan" ;)
What are you all on? Morata has been wank this game and was dragged off for Batshuayi who scored twice and won them the game.

Link up my arse, he was like a fish out of water today.

Loublaze

ATLien
Morata is the better footballer, who is the better PL striker of the two remains to be seen.
Remains to be seen? Would you say this about Kane too? Lukaku is a proven top striker in this league. Its all on Morata to prove he can produce at this level

SwansonsTache

incontinent sexual deviant & German sausage lover
Remains to be seen? Would you say this about Kane too? Lukaku is a proven top striker in this league. Its all on Morata to prove he can produce at this level
It remains to be seen who will be the better striker for their respective teams.

Morata seems to either click with a game and be unplayable, or he's so bad he might as well not be there. No in between.

Sammyjunn

Idk mate, he's done quite a bit in my eyes...

On The Pitch
- Scoring goals, winning contribution on the field and some United records to boot
- Great Sportsmanship - see that empathetic display after the Benfica match consoling the young keeper?

Off The Pitch
- Combating racist misrepresentation of black athletes (see other forum thread)
- contributions to the art and style of male grooming - d at beard tho
- collaborations in the musical world (featured in rap videos

In The Bed
- one can only assume..for decency I'll only ask that we not write the lyrics from THAT supporters chant

#NoWhiteText #hashtag
Fair enough:lol:.

CechMate1

Supports
Chelsea
This thread is like a YoYo

Morata will have a great game and people will be claiming he's better than Lukaku, Morata will have a bad game and people will claim Lukaku's better. Likewise if Lukaku has a good game or a bad game

Still maintain their at a similar level and two of the best forwards in the League. Both have made great starts to their new sides and both will have bad games

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
Morata seems to either click with a game and be unplayable, or he's so bad he might as well not be there. No in between.
Way too early for that. This was basically the first game where he looked a bit off, and he's just coming back from an injury.

Don _ Conte

Supports
Chelsea
Strange how in a weekend were both strikers are going through minor goal droughts. They both provide the assists for the winning goals in each game.

cyberman

You can't really say Morata provided an assist now, maybe in the weakest definition of assisting..

Don _ Conte

Supports
Chelsea
You can't really say Morata provided an assist now, maybe in the weakest definition of assisting..
It was an assist.... he did well with the ball in the middle, held it then played it into hazard out wide who went into the area and scored. That is an assist...

AshfordLad

Poor performance from both of them today. Lukaku gets shown up time and again playing against quality opposition and goes into a lean patch several times a season. Morata on the other hand misses sitters and seems to need 5 clear chances to score a goal and also goes into lean patches.

Neither of them are anywhere close to Kane or even Aguero (when fit).