Romeo Lavia | Chelsea bound?

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist

Guy looks class IMO. City apparently have a buy back, but they also had one on Pedro Porro so it doesn't mean that he'd just go right back anyway. Up to the player. But for me, he's the perfect guy to bring in and learn from Casemiro and be the long term replacement, someone who can also partner him short term while he develops. Just turned 19 too.

Rolaholic

Would absolutely nail it on the potential Casemiro understudy signing that won't cost an absolute fortune like Caicedo.

Top top very shrewd signing this would be for us, he's a wonderful footballer with bags of potential to go with his talent and technical ability.

Brophs

The One and Only
I don't know where people are getting the impression he'd be cheap. His buyback clause for City becomes active summer 2024 and is around £40m. If clubs want to get him out this summer he'll cost well north of £50m.

Valencia Shin Crosses

I don't know where people are getting the impression he'd be cheap. His buyback clause for City becomes active summer 2024 and is around £40m. If clubs want to get him out this summer he'll cost well north of £50m.
40-50m is a great number for a Casemiro understudy with real promise. It can't be understated how important it is we bring one in this summer (Christ just watch back yesterdays game if you have doubts)

tomaldinho1

All funds need to go towards a striker to be honest I think but he looks a talent

Rolaholic

40-50m isn't bonkers when bids of £70-£80m are being turned down for similar profile players like Caicedo

You have to pay a premium for quality young talents these days and even moreso when they already play in the league

avgp_1

Terrific prospect. 40m-50m for him and we have our midfield sorted for years

Vapor trail

Mctomminay gone in summer and Lavia purchased it's a no brainer. He's also seemingly picked up interest from various clubs so it's not easy pickings.

CM

It depends whether Southampton go down. Relegation might mean they have to accept a slightly lower bid, though I doubt it'd be a significant reduction in cost. Even £50m wouldn't be a bad price if we're confident he can grow into the role longer term, though.

NoPace

Not sure he's tough enough to be our DM long term, but he can play and he's quite young. Might be best as a partner for another #8 type since he's not super creative but also not a hardman DM type, so ideally he'd probably be De Jong's partner. Could also see him paired with a Caicedo or Rice type in a really good, balanced double pivot. From what we've seen of Mainoo, he also looks a decent potential partner for Lavia in that kind of double pivot.

Ekeke

Certainly has potential. Has struggled at times this season like 99% of his Southampton teammates and they arent 19. Good enough to try and take a place in the squad away from Fred and McTom and eventually, maybe a starter.

Oh_Dear

The current financial circumstances at the club will not be relevant come the Summer.

We’ll have enough for both & then some.
Is that right? I thought the latest version of the FFP rules were that clubs could spend no more than 70% of total revenue by 2025/26. So it doesn't matter how much debt the new owners pay off, or how much equity they inject, the only thing that matters is revenue. So either we make a lot of revenue from sales (Martial? Maguire? McTominay? Greenwood?) and/or the new owners arrange for a spectacular sponsorship arrangement.......

onemanarmy

Has everything to make it at a top club. Fast, big, good tackle, good pass... A no-brainer if attainable for me.

Donut

How is he compared to Caicedo? A less defensively sound better attacking cheaper player? More of an 8 to Caicedo’s 6?

Ekeke

How is he compared to Caicedo? A less defensively sound better attacking cheaper player? More of an 8 to Caicedo’s 6?
Mostly just a younger/worse version in the same position at this point. But he's also playing in a team thats doing nowhere near as well so probably harder to look as good

ZahaWilf

Top prospect! Mctominay to leave in the summer and bring this guy in. He is very calm on the ball for someone so young and keeps everything simple. Would be a good option and like someone said before, for him to learn off Casemiro would be perfect.

AFC NimbleThumb

Is that right? I thought the latest version of the FFP rules were that clubs could spend no more than 70% of total revenue by 2025/26. So it doesn't matter how much debt the new owners pay off, or how much equity they inject, the only thing that matters is revenue. So either we make a lot of revenue from sales (Martial? Maguire? McTominay? Greenwood?) and/or the new owners arrange for a spectacular sponsorship arrangement.......
Guess we’ll see come the end of the next window.

jesperjaap

Good prospect.....so is Mainoo and Hannibal.

Our three most pressing needs for me are a striker and a partner for Casemeiro. I think a young centre back also comes above signing a back up for Casemeiro.

I dont see £40/50m on Latvia as a viable proposition with our needs and the likely costs for some of our supposed top targets

eire-red

Probably goes for less if Southampton get relegated, and I can't see him going back to City to sit on the bench behind Rodri and Philipps as 3rd choice.

Can't say I've seen enough of this guy to make a call on him either way, but I feel like this is the profile of signing we need to look at. The market for top established midfielders is so thin and insanely priced right now.

daba

Really enjoyed his performance today. Seems to be a really solid, tenacious and surprisingly clean passer of the ball (similar to a certain Brazilian we’ve all fallen in love with this season).

Would be a good signing and not overly expensive I imagine if Soton are to go down.

Bella-Kotchap also looked decent, sign them up!

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I think him and Walker-Peters are the two to take, if anyone from that Saints team

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
I think him and Walker-Peters are the two to take, if anyone from that Saints team
Ketchup and Bazunu too.

Don't think all necessarily start for us but all certainly improve the squad and all the right age.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
Ketchup and Bazunu too.

Don't think all necessarily start for us but all certainly improve the squad and all the right age.
Bazunu is statistically the worst keeper in the league. Looked like Lev Yashin today of course, but so does every third shite keeper than rocks up to OT.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
Bazunu is statistically the worst keeper in the league. Looked like Lev Yashin today of course, but so does every third shite keeper than rocks up to OT.
I dont think he's as good as the Irish contingent on here believe (because obviously) but he's a good goalkeeper and also the right profile of keeper we should be looking at.

goalscholes

Really enjoyed his performance today. Seems to be a really solid, tenacious and surprisingly clean passer of the ball (similar to a certain Brazilian we’ve all fallen in love with this season).

Would be a good signing and not overly expensive I imagine if Soton are to go down.

Bella-Kotchap also looked decent, sign them up!
I’m not that’s true anymore. Relegated players still seem to go for a premium.

NoPace

Yeah. They'd be a really nice pair. I think Casemiro and then one of Bruno or Eriksen could play with either. Lavia is weaker but also can slow things down and sees more in possession. Caicedo-Casemiro would be lacking in creativity, but we'd be really fluid and tough defensively, and maybe Shaw, Lisandro and getting the ball out wide in a hurry is enough to compensate.

The right side of defence lacking passing would probably become a real problem, though. You might see Bruno or Eriksen (whoever is the #10) ending up there constantly to link play, though they've both played well on the right of a 3.

Rashford
Caicedo
Shaw
is a nice balance on the left.

Less sure about:
Bruno or Eriksen
Antony
Dalot or AWB or new RB on the right

As a trio, but Casemiro could shade right a bit since Caicedo covers ground well defensively and wants to stay central anyways.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
He impressed me yesterday. Must signing. Although, his shooting technique is like Fred's level but shooting is just bonus for midfielder.

next_number_seven

I dont think he's as good as the Irish contingent on here believe (because obviously) but he's a good goalkeeper and also the right profile of keeper we should be looking at.
He's been excellent for Ireland and was excellent against United. But yeah Southampton fans have been critical.

He's young and it's his first season in PL I think

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
Good prospect.....so is Mainoo and Hannibal.

Our three most pressing needs for me are a striker and a partner for Casemeiro. I think a young centre back also comes above signing a back up for Casemeiro.

I dont see £40/50m on Latvia as a viable proposition with our needs and the likely costs for some of our supposed top targets
It’s not comparable, one is a solidified premier league starter that is excelling. The United players might not make it.

Lyng

Would love to see us sign him. He is such a massive talent and would be the perfect talent to learn under Case and then take over.

Ace of Spades

It’s not comparable, one is a solidified premier league starter that is excelling. The United players might not make it.
Not like PL signings have never failed for us right ?

He is young, let him develop there for a season or two more there.

Abraxas

I thought we saw a bit of everything from him yesterday. Ultimately that he's a big talent playing at that age in central midfield and holding his own. Some really good ball carrying play. Physically very good.

But I think you saw where he could develop too. Awful shooting and some sloppy passing at times.