Romeo Lavia | Chelsea bound?

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
I just worry where is the guy who can be both a partner for Casa and can cover him,also that press resistant player who can control the tempo and pass it well. There seems to be little links so far to players who fit into that criteria.
Rabiot is the answer. He is the one guy who can do Casmiro's job his absence.

Dan_F

He was forced to anyway because Eriksen can’t play 90 mins twice a week even before his injury, also just said very recently that we need 2 players for every position. I guess the big unknown here is whether he would stick with VdB, but we are linked with Rabiot, Mount and Rice strongly at this moment, so that’s already 3 additions, so he is aiming for a rather big group of midfielders.
Huh? How is that already 3 additions, we’ve signed none of them :lol: We’re going to need to do some major selling if we’re looking at spending, what, £130m minimum on Rice and Mount, plus a striker.

userman

They already have Caicedo's replacement in Billy Gilmour and the incoming Dahoud.
As it looks they're selling both of Caicedo and Mac Allister, and I doubt that they're replacing them with the incoming Dahoud and Milner. Lavia to Brighton makes good sence both for the player, the club, and their recruitment-policy.

InfiniteBoredom

Huh? How is that already 3 additions, we’ve signed none of them :lol: We’re going to need to do some major selling if we’re looking at spending, what, £130m minimum on Rice and Mount, plus a striker.
The point is we are looking to sign them and none of them are really alternative to one another, suggesting that indeed EtH would like more than 2 new CMs. From our current midfield, Bruno Casemiro Eriksen won’t be sold, McTom was linked with Newcastle but there were reports that we are unwilling to sell because he’s our youngest CM, that leaves Fred with one year on his contract + VdB who we might not even be able to shift.

There’s a fair chance we sell both of McFred because EtH doesn’t seem to trust them to start, especially in Casemiro position, but I wouldn’t be surprised if one of them stay and we sign 3 new CMs anyway. We are if anything certainly not good at shipping out players.

KikiDaKats

Supports
His Liverpool supporting wife
The value of a player is subjective and based on more than just current level of performance, it also has to do with age, contract situation, wage, importance to the parent club, in addition to how much demand there is for him in the market and the financial capabilities of suitors. In this case, Southampton is under no obligation to sell save at the wish of the player, they will have a parachute payment for relegation, he has 4 years left on his deal, is only 19 year old and has a buy back clause for City for that amount, as well as a sell on clause (so Southampton would already make less money selling him for £40m as opposed to selling him back), and due to his age his wage demand will be reasonable. It’s all well and good if in your opinion he’s not worth that but the reality of the situation is you won’t be picking him up for cheaper in this market. Fred was £47m in 2018, Ben White was £50m 2 years ago, those figures just don’t get you players of the same calibre years ago.
This is a statement you’ve already made, I doubt it adds better clarity with the names changing. Those guys were all bought to be starters and he is not coming in as one.

Milk at Tesco is cheaper than Ali Express, with all the variables considered don’t change the fact the corner shop is ripping me off. Me accepting or wanting to normalise it doesn’t make it the right decision.

I can see you rate him highly and I will not question why. I myself do rate Hojlund and Ferguson highly but if the club doesn’t judge them to be potential starters/competition next season, we should never spend more than 35m on either. If you believe he is direct competition for Casemiro 40m might even be cheap but understudy role disqualifies that price in my opinion.

InfiniteBoredom

This is a statement you’ve already made, I doubt it adds better clarity with the names changing. Those guys were all bought to be starters and he is not coming in as one.

Milk at Tesco is cheaper than Ali Express, with all the variables considered don’t change the fact the corner shop is ripping me off. Me accepting or wanting to normalise it doesn’t make it the right decision.

I can see you rate him highly and I will not question why. I myself do rate Hojlund and Ferguson highly but if the club doesn’t judge them to be potential starters/competition next season, we should never spend more than 35m on either. If you believe he is direct competition for Casemiro 40m might even be cheap but understudy role disqualifies that price in my opinion.
City paid £100m for Grealish and benched him for half the season in his first year.

I don’t put my price on Lavia, I just gave the number I think will be required for him to move in this market, Frankfurt got Kolo Muani on a free and now they are demanding €100m for him, Goncalo Ramos had a first good club season + one good match at the WC and now he’s worth €60m. You can dislike the game but we are not in a position to pick and choose, even Madrid, who is in a position to pick and choose, shelled out a boatload for Camavinga, Tchouameini and now Bellingham, or before that €63m for Jovic who they ended up releasing on a free. That’s not me normalising being ripped off, that’s just how mad the market has gone. Or you can refuse to play and get the James, Malacia and Pellistri of the world, which will set you back against other competitors.

Dan_F

The point is we are looking to sign them and none of them are really alternative to one another, suggesting that indeed EtH would like more than 2 new CMs. From our current midfield, Bruno Casemiro Eriksen won’t be sold, McTom was linked with Newcastle but there were reports that we are unwilling to sell because he’s our youngest CM, that leaves Fred with one year on his contract + VdB who we might not even be able to shift.

There’s a fair chance we sell both of McFred because EtH doesn’t seem to trust them to start, especially in Casemiro position, but I wouldn’t be surprised if one of them stay and we sign 3 new CMs anyway. We are if anything certainly not good at shipping out players.
I’d be absolutely astounded if we signed three midfielders this season. It’s all just rumours at this point.

Blood Mage

We can't keep letting these big talents join our rivals or it will come back to bite us in the ass and we'll constantly be playing catch-up. Glazers need to hurry up and feck off so we can get serious in the transfer market again.

KikiDaKats

Supports
His Liverpool supporting wife
City paid £100m for Grealish and benched him for half the season in his first year.

I don’t put my price on Lavia, I just gave the number I think will be required for him to move in this market, Frankfurt got Kolo Muani on a free and now they are demanding €100m for him, Goncalo Ramos had a first good club season + one good match at the WC and now he’s worth €60m. You can dislike the game but we are not in a position to pick and choose, even Madrid, who is in a position to pick and choose, shelled out a boatload for Camavinga, Tchouameini and now Bellingham, or before that €63m for Jovic who they ended up releasing on a free. That’s not me normalising being ripped off, that’s just how mad the market has gone. Or you can refuse to play and get the James, Malacia and Pellistri of the world, which will set you back against other competitors.
We are seemingly on different pages here. I’m thinking you believe Lavia is of same profile with the guys you are mentioning whilst I believe different.
Kolo Muani, Jovic, Ramos, Camavinga, Tchouameini, Grealish + Bellingham/Ramos bought or buying to be have an immediate impact. Whilst James, Malacia and Pellistri are longterm projects and back up players.
It depends in what group you place him but I’m not seeing him as competition for Casemiro, so he is not in that top group for me and the equivalence is misleading. Signing a player and them needing time to settle in doesn’t change the purpose of their acquisition.

If he is coming in as competition this summer 40m is about right/cheap but if the aim is to be a backup or project, we are being fleeced. Madrid do buy expensive young players they believe are going to compete for starting spots and just don’t do it for the sake of hoarding. Some might end up being a Jovic but the intention was for them to be key players not be back up.

As it looks they're selling both of Caicedo and Mac Allister, and I doubt that they're replacing them with the incoming Dahoud and Milner. Lavia to Brighton makes good sence both for the player, the club, and their recruitment-policy.
I'm pretty certain they won't target Lavia. Its just not their M.O. In terms forward planning players like Gilmour and the young Swede Yasin Ayari are already in the pipeline as Caicedo's replacement. Buonanotte to replace Alexis. Milner and Dahoud are being brought to make up for the short fall in experience. Whilst bring able to also do those jobs.

userman

I'm pretty certain they won't target Lavia. Its just not their M.O. In terms forward planning players like Gilmour and the young Swede Yasin Ayari are already in the pipeline as Caicedo's replacement. Buonanotte to replace Alexis. Milner and Dahoud are being brought to make up for the short fall in experience. Whilst bring able to also do those jobs.
Fair enough. My gut feeling though is still that he could join them as it makes sense for both player/club and does fits their M.O.
Let’s wait and see where he ends up, exciting player.

Last edited:

Hughes35

Please dont let this be true. I would love him here. Can the Glazers not feck off so we can resume other business.
A young midfielder like Lavia would be utterly stupid to join Chelsea right now...... Not saying he won't, but it is stupid !

zaafi

Hypothetically speaking, if Kobbie Mainoo got the chance to play for Southampton as much as Lavia has, do we think he would have done just as good or is Lavia the more talented player?

Maybe they play a bit different roles, but does Lavia get a bit overhyped due to his age and how much he has played?

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Hypothetically speaking, if Kobbie Mainoo got the chance to play for Southampton as much as Lavia has, do we think he would have done just as good or is Lavia the more talented player?

Maybe they play a bit different roles, but does Lavia get a bit overhyped due to his age and how much he has played?
Nothing is ever truly linear like that but what tends to separate top talents in that age group is consistent game time. Maybe, maybe not.

But Lavia getting a full season of senior football without major scrutiny on his performances (nobody really watches Southampton to care massively) was gigantic for Lavia’s development.

bosskeano

he won't go for less than 25m as you know the saints will fight to keep him on those lower wages

AngeloHenriquez

Supports
Stevenage

Impossible to tell, too many variables when translating to regular men's football and I'd suggest the biggest variable is mentality which is so hard to estimate but ETH seems to value it highly and has given him minutes which suggests to me he has a good mentality but I think he's a year or two off breakthrough for mens football for me.

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
Chelsea are just such an irritation. Fingers in every pie imaginable at all times.

marktan

Chelsea are just such an irritation. Fingers in every pie imaginable at all times.
Tbf I'm sure a lot of these players would prefer to come to United if we'd actually show any interest in them and actually spend some money.

BarryWinks

I want us to sign him but then again, you are thinking, if we sign Mount (as is looking likely) and maybe a Rabbiot on a free, then we can give that extra game time to Hannibal, who was similarly highly rated before he joined us. We can't keep signing these talented youngsters and not at least creating a pathway for them to show what they can. Give Hannibal some cup games next season, if he impresses in those, some minutes in the premier league and then see where he is by season's end.

The one thing the likes of Brighton/S'oton do better that us (and understandably so) is they give these players game time.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
I want us to sign him but then again, you are thinking, if we sign Mount (as is looking likely) and maybe a Rabbiot on a free, then we can give that extra game time to Hannibal, who was similarly highly rated before he joined us. We can't keep signing these talented youngsters and not at least creating a pathway for them to show what they can. Give Hannibal some cup games next season, if he impresses in those, some minutes in the premier league and then see where he is by season's end.

The one thing the likes of Brighton/S'oton do better that us (and understandably so) is they give these players game time.
We give them time! They have to deserve it though. Garnacho has fully broken in this season. Amad got time in the past, didn't impress or look ready, so got sent on loan. Hannibal likewise didn't display enough maturity to go into the first team, went on loan and looked... Meh. So he's not going to get promoted after not doing a whole lot on loan. Amad has done great, and it's probably best he goes on loan to a higher level league, but he is definitely ear marked for a first team role, because he impressed.

Generally though I agree, it's Rabiot or Lavia. Similar type of players. Would prefer Lavia, but Rabiot is on a free so whatever.

dutchred

From what I've seen of him, he could be a long term replacement for Casemiro. I would take the risk and get him now and let him learn from the master

Ahmer Baig

Please just sign him. Man Utd admiring players. How I hate Chelsea for trying to sign everyone and Glazers who cannot feck off sooner.

Robertd0803

Offer Southampton some of our players on loan next season to sweeten the deal before someone else signs him.

Southampton wouldnt be the worse place to develop and would save them a few quid as well.

Thiagoal

I think the key thing here is age. Lavia is almost a year and a half older than Kobbie and barely had any first team exposure at Kobbies current age..

Will be very interesting to see what ETH does next season with Mainoo as he clearly rates him very highly. I suspect he will continue around the first team as ETH will want him to pick up the tactical nuances so he’s ready to go in the first team when ready. I think he sees him as the Frenkie type midfielder he craves and will give him every chance to succeed there. I think he’ll surprise a lot of people next season!

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman

Reminds me somewhat of Verratti. Seems like he is more of what chelsea need rather than ugarte and Caicedo who has somewhat the same profile. But, lavia seems very raw. Pochettino will have to work his magic to turn this guy into a true superstar

daba

I like the idea of Lavia as it would show some squad planning for once. Great age, can give Casemiro a rest every now and learn from the best in his position for a couple seasons before being primed to be our DM for the following 10 years.

Caicedo would be a nice alternative though.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Counts as home grown as well, so could free up alternatives if we can't get Mount.

dinostar77

Reminds me somewhat of Verratti. Seems like he is more of what chelsea need rather than ugarte and Caicedo who has somewhat the same profile. But, lavia seems very raw. Pochettino will have to work his magic to turn this guy into a true superstar
Lavia needs regular first team football. Too raw for a top six club.

NoPace

It's not hugely dissimilar to spending 30M on Joao Pedro, but yeah, they have Enciso and Buonanotte as promising attacking mids, so if they spend on a midfielder you'd figure it would be someone who can provide some of the tackling and defensive solidity and ball-winning that Caicedo has.

daba

It's not hugely dissimilar to spending 30M on Joao Pedro, but yeah, they have Enciso and Buonanotte as promising attacking mids, so if they spend on a midfielder you'd figure it would be someone who can provide some of the tackling and defensive solidity and ball-winning that Caicedo has.
Enciso looks a cracking player, you already know he’ll be their Caicedo equivalent sale next summer for £80m.

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
Lavia needs regular first team football. Too raw for a top six club.
Yea, his potential is kind of similar to Carney Chukwuemeka. I dont see lavia as someone that can transform the chelsea midfield at the moment, but instead give good depth or even alternative option if you want to give other midfielder a rest. He has shown at Southampton already that he doesn't look that out of place in the premier league. But, I don't see him starting for a top six club until he has develop and improve upon certain aspect of his game.

They have been crying out for a proper striker signing for years though. Now they have the money I'm not surprised they spent 30m on a Joao Pedro, now that they have the money and will be in Europe. Even though Undav and Ferguson are on the books and developing and Welbeck is still there I will be very surprised if they do the same in other roles