Romeo Lavia | Chelsea bound?

Castia

Would love to sell McTominay and put his fee towards Lavia

One of the best young players in the league for me

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Chelsea are interested in him aswell and their head of recruitment is Joe Shields who also happens to be the guy that was at City and then Southampton when Lavia was a player at the aforementioned clubs. So it seems like Shields will give Chelsea a advantage due to knowing the player personally.

Blood Mage

Infuriating that we'll probably miss out on him due to the stalled takeover situation. He's a big talent.

NoPace

Chelsea are interested in him aswell and their head of recruitment is Joe Shields who also happens to be the guy that was at City and then Southampton when Lavia was a player at the aforementioned clubs. So it seems like Shields will give Chelsea a advantage due to knowing the player personally.
You'd think Lavia would look at Chelsea and their massive squad and then look at our midfield (or Arsenal's to be fair with Xhaka, Jorginho and Partey all 29+) and think we're a better bet.

croadyman

You'd think Lavia would look at Chelsea and their massive squad and then look at our midfield (or Arsenal's to be fair with Xhaka, Jorginho and Partey all 29+) and think we're a better bet.
I hope you are right on that and with the likes of Chelsea sniffing around we can't be slow

Fts 74

I'm not seeing any links with us all Chelsea and Liverpool I really hope that changes.

Bestietom

We need a squad of players for next season and if we can pick him (Lavia) up cheap he would be very good addition.

G-manc

Unless he’s dirt cheap I’m not that bothered. Albeit he’s played in a poor team, I’ve not seen much to make him stand out.

G-manc

I would definitely sign him,however my concern is does he offer enough playmaking ability
I’m not saying he’s a bad player and I may be proven completely wrong but he doesn’t look very mobile to me and limited in his passing. I’m not bothered about goals and assists etc. as that’s clearly not his game.

He’d probably still cost a minimum £30m even with Southampton going down and with a likely limited budget I’m not sure I’d want to spend a portion of it on a punt and hope they come good.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
With Ugarte, Caicedo and Rice also on the market, I'd much prefer one of those 3 than Lavia. He seems to be more of a project signing than a immediately improve the first team signing. I'm not sure he's ready to be a starter at Chelsea, United or Liverpool. He'd be a good signing alongside one of the aforementioned 3 though.

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
With Ugarte, Caicedo and Rice also on the market, I'd much prefer one of those 3 than Lavia. He seems to be more of a project signing than a immediately improve the first team signing. I'm not sure he's ready to be a starter at Chelsea, United or Liverpool. He'd be a good signing alongside one of the aforementioned 3 though.
Why choose between them when you can sign them all?

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Why choose between them when you can sign them all?
It is the Chelsea way, you're right, though with Arsenal rumoured to be trying to sign both Rice and Caicedo, perhaps it is also the Arsenal way now.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Watched him in the Fulham match where you’d expect him to step up considering what was at stake, thought he was poor. Haven’t seen loads of Southampton matches but caught a few this season and I think there’s a bit of inconsistency and development required before he’s a first teamer at a big club. He’d be one for s longer term view and I’m not sure our fans are patient for that

Valencia Shin Crosses

Watched him in the Fulham match where you’d expect him to step up considering what was at stake, thought he was poor. Haven’t seen loads of Southampton matches but caught a few this season and I think there’s a bit of inconsistency and development required before he’s a first teamer at a big club. He’d be one for s longer term view and I’m not sure our fans are patient for that
I think the thought process should more so be "Is he an upgrade on McTominay?" as opposed to "is he ready to start for us?". For the quoted price it's a no brainer deal especially considering we have 0 DM options behind Casemiro currently.

NoPace

I think the thought process should more so be "Is he an upgrade on McTominay?" as opposed to "is he ready to start for us?". For the quoted price it's a no brainer deal especially considering we have 0 DM options behind Casemiro currently.
I don't think he's strong or defensively adept enough to play DM in a pairing with Eriksen, but if we signed Rabiot and him the balance looks okay, and we hope that either Lavia or Mainoo becomes the man here as a #8.

Valencia Shin Crosses

I don't think he's strong or defensively adept enough to play DM in a pairing with Eriksen, but if we signed Rabiot and him the balance looks okay, and we hope that either Lavia or Mainoo becomes the man here as a #8.
I don't think Eriksen should be thought of as someone to pair anyone with though. He should ideally be a rotational bench piece that is only used in certain games.

dinostar77

Lavia is very raw, and not ready to be a starter for a top six club. Lots of potential but lots to be worked on.

Nick7

Caicedo would be a better bet i think. He’s already prem proven
You say that like Lavia hasn’t just played a full league season. Either way no chance Caicedo comes in and is happy with a rotation role.

RyRy11

We need someone to replace Case at times.
He's the perfect signing for that. He'll start cup games and the home games to bottom half clubs. Gives Casemiro a rest to play Champions League and the big games. Without the suspensions he would have played constantly this season.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Makes a lot of sense - counts as homegrown, lots of potential, wouldn't cost the world.

Nick7

He's the perfect signing for that. He'll start cup games and the home games to bottom half clubs. Gives Casemiro a rest to play Champions League and the big games. Without the suspensions he would have played constantly this season.
Yeah he’d be great there. Plus has the potential to make the position his own in time. Shame we aren’t really being linked much.

dinostar77

He isnt anything like casemiro, he cant tackle, not aggressive in winning the ball back.

Nick7

He isnt anything like casemiro, he cant tackle, not aggressive in winning the ball back.
He's a different kind of player, but can play the position. We generally change our midfield structure when Case doesn't play anyway, so having someone that can slot into that position is good even if it comes with a change of play. I doubt we're going to sign a like for like with Casemiro either way, but ideally it would be nice to have someone there that can come in when he's out for whatever reason.

Mr Smith

And would cost at least 100m. Arsenal was priced out of a move in January.
No way does Caicedo cost 100 mil. 70 should do the job (which is still nuts but the nature of the beast). He'd still be my first choice, but I think Lavia would be a good alternative.

Rolaholic

No way does Caicedo cost 100 mil. 70 should do the job (which is still nuts but the nature of the beast). He'd still be my first choice, but I think Lavia would be a good alternative.
They turned down 80m from Arsenal for him on winter deadline day and he in turn signed a new contract with Brighton, he's definitely going to go for close to 100m if he's sold this summer.

Could see Brighton using the Rice valuation/fee (widely believed to be 100-120m) as a point of reference

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Didn’t they want over 90 of arsenal though?

NLunited

Sign him as back up to Casemiro. Caicedo and Rice cost a fortune.

Mr Smith

Didn’t they want over 90 of arsenal though?
They deliberately priced him out of a move because they didn't want to sell mid-season. Now De Zerbi is on record saying he'll probably go in the summer. Very different circumstances.

InfiniteBoredom

£40m for Lavia and Rabiot on a free leave us with a lot of room for another midfield signing.

Don’t want Rice and Brighton most likely hang on for Caicedo for another year at least, can’t imagine them selling both Mac Allister and him when they have Europa next year.