Romeo Lavia | Chelsea bound?

KikiDaKats

Supports
His Liverpool supporting wife
£40m for Lavia and Rabiot on a free leave us with a lot of room for another midfield signing.

Don’t want Rice and Brighton most likely hang on for Caicedo for another year at least, can’t imagine them selling both Mac Allister and him when they have Europa next year.
40m is that not too steep?

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
£40m for Lavia and Rabiot on a free leave us with a lot of room for another midfield signing.

Don’t want Rice and Brighton most likely hang on for Caicedo for another year at least, can’t imagine them selling both Mac Allister and him when they have Europa next year.
De zerbi said they're both likely off, I just don't know who pays the huge fee.

InfiniteBoredom

De zerbi said they're both likely off, I just don't know who pays the huge fee.
Arsenal probably go back in for him in that case, if they don’t get Rice. Which would be terrible for us imo, his skillset is much more suited to playing front foot, dominant football than Rice.

daba

From the
Arsenal probably go back in for him in that case, if they don’t get Rice. Which would be terrible for us imo, his skillset is much more suited to playing front foot, dominant football than Rice.
Yeah I’m in the Caicedo > Rice camp as I think he’d be a more suitable partner for Casemiro for us.

But if we’re looking for a pure back-up to Casemiro rather than a partner who could also back-up, I think Lavia isn’t a bad shout at all. I’d be disappointed to lose out on Caicedo, but if it meant we could go all out on a top top striker instead, I think it could be a shrewd move.

KikiDaKats

Supports
Morgan Gibbs White went for the same after a loan season in Sheffield.

I think the age of picking up players on the cheap in England is over, relegated or not.
I just think we are normalising us being fleeced. Apart from being a starter and showing good potential, he is not done anything yet to say such a price is justifiable, ie importance to the current club.
He could’ve been a key player whilst on loan, the contract status and relevance to a club are separate entities. It’s like saying Balogun should be cheaper than Nketiah this summer.

InfiniteBoredom

I just think we are normalising us being fleeced. Apart from being a starter and showing good potential, he is not done anything yet to say such a price is justifiable, ie importance to the current club.
He could’ve been a key player whilst on loan, the contract status and relevance to a club are separate entities. It’s like saying Balogun should be cheaper than Nketiah this summer.
He has a £40m buy back clause for City in his contract, active 2024.

Why would Southampton settle for less when at worst they can loan him out for a PL club for the season, get a fee and next summer get that £40m guaranteed if he continues to play well? MGW got a good season in the Championship and were worth that much, we paid what, £15m 10 years ago for another Championship player (Zaha). Penny pinching doesn’t work here, even free agents nowadays demand top wages, bleeding Ramsey got €300k from Juve years and years ago.

Dan_F

Assuming that’s with Fred and McTominay sold? I can’t see Ten Hag wanting more bodies.

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal
How can Arsenal afford both Rice and Caicedo?
Supposedly 180M + sales (Xhaka-Tierney). I very much doubt we burn most of it on these 2 but the Kroenkes have been giving Arteta a lot of cash lately and greenlit Mudryk before it got ridiculous.

KikiDaKats

Supports
He has a £40m buy back clause for City in his contract, active 2024.

Why would Southampton settle for less when at worst they can loan him out for a PL club for the season, get a fee and next summer get that £40m guaranteed if he continues to play well? MGW got a good season in the Championship and were worth that much, we paid what, £15m 10 years ago for another Championship player (Zaha). Penny pinching doesn’t work here, even free agents nowadays demand top wages, bleeding Ramsey got €300k from Juve years and years ago.
This is not about penny pinching, you’re advocating for us to be paying over the value of players that are currently not performing to that value. Saha was having a blinder of a season and we signed him as potential, which was reflected in a 15m that was wasted in hindsight.
I’m not one for hype and have watched more than 15 Southampton games, he is not currently playing at 40m level nor is the potential on display for a 40m defensive midfielder. In a year he might progress to either and reach the 40m valuation of his buyback but this summer he is not yet there.

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
How can Arsenal afford both Rice and Caicedo?
The money they had for Caicedo and Mudryk last January was hardly spent. It was from last season's budget. They are also selling players to make room. I believe they even have enough decent young players to do a players plus cash deal for Rice if they so wish. I feel Caicedo is already a dead cert to head there like MaCalister is to Pool

InfiniteBoredom

This is not about penny pinching, you’re advocating for us to be paying over the value of players that are currently not performing to that value. Saha was having a blinder of a season and we signed him as potential, which was reflected in a 15m that was wasted in hindsight.
I’m not one for hype and have watched more than 15 Southampton games, he is not currently playing at 40m level nor is the potential on display for a 40m defensive midfielder. In a year he might progress to either and reach the 40m valuation of his buyback but this summer he is not yet there.
The value of a player is subjective and based on more than just current level of performance, it also has to do with age, contract situation, wage, importance to the parent club, in addition to how much demand there is for him in the market and the financial capabilities of suitors. In this case, Southampton is under no obligation to sell save at the wish of the player, they will have a parachute payment for relegation, he has 4 years left on his deal, is only 19 year old and has a buy back clause for City for that amount, as well as a sell on clause (so Southampton would already make less money selling him for £40m as opposed to selling him back), and due to his age his wage demand will be reasonable. It’s all well and good if in your opinion he’s not worth that but the reality of the situation is you won’t be picking him up for cheaper in this market. Fred was £47m in 2018, Ben White was £50m 2 years ago, those figures just don’t get you players of the same calibre years ago.

Assuming that’s with Fred and McTominay sold? I can’t see Ten Hag wanting more bodies.
We will sell at least one if not both of them, and not renew Sabitzer, that’s at least 2 bodies down and we need one more even with the current numbers anyway.

croadyman

The money they had for Caicedo and Mudryk last January was hardly spent. It was from last season's budget. They are also selling players to make room. I believe they even have enough decent young players to do a players plus cash deal for Rice if they so wish. I feel Caicedo is already a dead cert to head there like MaCalister is to Pool
Well hard to see us getting closer to them then

croadyman

Please dont let this be true. I would love him here. Can the Glazers not feck off so we can resume other business.
Yeah feels hard to be excited about our midfield plans when you see what our rivals are planning to do this summer. I just hope things change drastically and we still bring in two maybe three profile of midfielders

Ahmer Baig

Yeah feels hard to be excited about our midfield plans when you see what our rivals are planning to do this summer
They already have started talking to different clubs for the players they want and we are stuck with sale of the club because of greedy Glazers who simply cannot feck off sooner.

croadyman

They already have started talking to different clubs for the players they want and we are stuck with sale of the club because of greedy Glazers who simply cannot feck off sooner.
Poor Erik must be having sleepless nights about this whole takeover farce,he is just hiding it well in front of the cameras

Ahmer Baig

Poor Erik must be having sleepless nights about this whole takeover farce,he is just hiding it well in front of the cameras
2 players I would hate to see go to Chelsea or rival clubs are Lavia and Ugarte.

ETH has time and again stressed need to get the signings early so they can gel with the system. He must be wondering when will this takeover saga end.

croadyman

2 players I would hate to see go to Chelsea or rival clubs are Lavia and Ugarte.

ETH has time and again stressed need to get the signings early so they can gel with the system. He must be wondering when will this takeover saga end.
Yeah must be proper biting his tongue

gajender

Going by reports he wants Mount and possibly Kane and it seems we have already established Contact with Mount and are favourites for him .

While also exploring possibilities of signing Kane I don't believe he has much to complain as things stand just because his targets doesn't align with what many of us want doesn't mean there isn't work being done in the background or United are just standing still .

croadyman

Going by reports he wants Mount and possibly Kane and it seems we have already established Contact with Mount and are favourites for him .

While also exploring possibilities of signing Kane I don't believe he has much to complain as things stand just because his targets doesn't align with what many of us want doesn't mean there isn't work being done in the background or United are just standing still .
I just worry where is the guy who can be both a partner for Casa and can cover him,also that press resistant player who can control the tempo and pass it well. There seems to be little links so far to players who fit into that criteria.

gajender

I just worry where is the guy who can be both a partner for Casa and can cover him,also that press resistant player who can control the tempo and pass it well
Even though I don't agree with not getting Midfield controller but I also believe you can achieve midfield balance and control in different manner as well , maybe Mount fits Ten Hag idea of that Midfield composition who knows .

croadyman

Even though I don't agree with not getting Midfield controller but I also believe you can achieve midfield balance and control in different manner as well , maybe Mount fits Ten Hag idea of that Midfield composition who knows .
Yeah it's starting to look like that's the plan,worked for the scousers for around 4 seasons but whether it can with us remains to be seen

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Yeah feels hard to be excited about our midfield plans when you see what our rivals are planning to do this summer. I just hope things change drastically and we still bring in two maybe three profile of midfielders
The issue is that while we need playmakers (imo) and high quality technical ones, the players we are linked with either are anything but (Rice) or a level or two below the best even in terms of potential (Mount, Rabiot).

I suppose you have to sign what you can and balance and chemistry can certainly improve players. But I hope our scouts can justify their positions and come up with some great suggestions - players with clear technical abilities that elevate us. Although personally I’m not holding out hope for us being a better run club till the regime change and settlement period after.

croadyman

The issue is that while we need playmakers (imo) and high quality technical ones, the players we are linked with either are anything but (Rice) or a level or two below the best even in terms of potential (Mount, Rabiot).

I suppose you have to sign what you can and balance and chemistry can certainly improve players. But I hope our scouts can justify their positions and come up with some great suggestions - players with clear technical abilities that elevate us. Although personally I’m not holding out hope for us being a better run club till the regime change and settlement period after.
Yeah why isn't technical ability being seen as very important is my big concern about this team in general but particularly midfield

Dan_F

We will sell at least one if not both of them, and not renew Sabitzer, that’s at least 2 bodies down and we need one more even with the current numbers anyway.
I don’t see us going with more numbers in midfield than this season. Ten Hag isn’t a big fan of rotation, so six players for two positions would be a lot. I guess you could say it’s three positions, but Bruno will play 95% of games.

dutchred

I hope we go for him. He can improve under Erik and learn a lot from Casemiro

InfiniteBoredom

I don’t see us going with more numbers in midfield than this season. Ten Hag isn’t a big fan of rotation, so six players for two positions would be a lot. I guess you could say it’s three positions, but Bruno will play 95% of games.
He was forced to anyway because Eriksen can’t play 90 mins twice a week even before his injury, also just said very recently that we need 2 players for every position. I guess the big unknown here is whether he would stick with VdB, but we are linked with Rabiot, Mount and Rice strongly at this moment, so that’s already 3 additions, so he is aiming for a rather big group of midfielders.

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
He was forced to anyway because Eriksen can’t play 90 mins twice a week even before his injury, also just said very recently that we need 2 players for every position. I guess the big unknown here is whether he would stick with VdB, but we are linked with Rabiot, Mount and Rice strongly at this moment, so that’s already 3 additions, so he is aiming for a rather big group of midfielders.
In convinced we will lose mctominay and Fred if we add Rabiot, Mount and another.